Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Really looking forward to the Sony con, possible showing of Red Dead (unlikely, but would be class), Last of Us 2, Yakuza Kiwami/6, Spiderman and my biggest hope......Demons Souls Remaster! That lineup alone is tempting me to stay up for it. Interested to see more on Days Gone as well, maybe that will be the zombie survive em up I'm looking for.

Can't see either RDR2 or TLOU2 being in Sony's conference. Too early for TLOU2.

I'd say the big games Sony will be pushing will be God of War, Days Gone, Spiderman and a new IP, hopefully from Sucker Punch. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Days Gone in particular. If they demo some gameplay which isn't as reliant on shooting into a mass horde of zombies, and maybe give more story info, I'll be sold.

• If TLOU2 is not present then I'm expecting a disappointing Sony conference
    Good that Bethesda showed up, and Metro.
    But not enough of Crackdown, still skeptical.
    Hope Nintendo do something to liven it up

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Found myself awake at stupid o'clock and watched the Bethesda thing. Nothing really impressed me except Wolfenstein 2 and the semi-interesting cover of "Ordinary World" that they used over the Evil Within trailer :)

Paid mods - I'm not terribly sure if I'll be using it, but if they're guaranteeing compatibility and save-game safety etc, that's not nothing, so I'll keep an eye. Valve gets a pass on this (and that's only for cosmetic rubbish in in CS:GO and Dota), why should we immediately sht on Bethesda doing it better?

The big Qukecon tournament announcement seems like the very least they should be doing for the launch of the new Quake if they want to enter the ESports space and make any kind of dent.

The Dishonoured 2 thing made me want to play the game (which I never got around to post release), but I might just wait for a GOTY edition.

I then watched some of the Twitch Pre Pre Show which just didn't work for me cause it was all a bit too forced, but Devolver's part was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Varik wrote: »
    everything bar bethesda was fine so far.

Bethesda's felt so... cheap? 45 minute video with a presenter summarising everything at the end in 2-3 minutes. What's the point?

Don't get me wrong, Wolf and Evil Within looked great! But, almost everything else was bland and/or predictable. Expansion for a card game? Re-release of DOOM and Fallout and Skyrim. Paid Mods spun through the marketing bullshít machine to come out feeling new and fresh called 'Creation Club'?

I appreciate the fact that everything they have shown is coming this year (I had expected Wolf to be next May to fit into the alternative two year cycle between Wolf and DOOM), but give us something different/new as well. I don't mind seeing a game a good year or two off, others may think differently, but I feel its something to look forward to. Be ambitious! Do something off-piste. This is Bethesda after all, they have enough money in the bank to let the RnD team drop some acid and go wild on a new concept or idea. They pretty much alluded to that notion at the end of the Wolf trailer...!

I hope they turn it around next year. Realistically, they could have divided up their 45min show between MS and Sony's and joined them on stage, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Falthyron wrote: »
    Bethesda's felt so... cheap? 45 minute video with a presenter summarising everything at the end in 2-3 minutes. What's the point?

Don't get me wrong, Wolf and Evil Within looked great! But, almost everything else was bland and/or predictable. Expansion for a card game? Re-release of DOOM and Fallout and Skyrim. Paid Mods spun through the marketing bullshít machine to come out feeling new and fresh called 'Creation Club'?

I appreciate the fact that everything they have shown is coming this year (I had expected Wolf to be next May to fit into the alternative two year cycle between Wolf and DOOM), but give us something different/new as well. I don't mind seeing a game a good year or two off, others may think differently, but I feel its something to look forward to. Be ambitious! Do something off-piste. This is Bethesda after all, they have enough money in the bank to let the RnD team drop some acid and go wild on a new concept or idea. They pretty much alluded to that notion at the end of the Wolf trailer...!

I hope they turn it around next year. Realistically, they could have divided up their 45min show between MS and Sony's and joined them on stage, etc.

Bethesda as a studio have some huge game franchises under their belt but its a quality over quantity gig compared to other studios who pump out titles every other month.

I really don't see the point of them having a press event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Do From Software usually attend E3 or do they piggy back on Sony or MS?
    I'm hoping they announce something this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

But if you have a gaming PC running Windows 10, why would you bother with an Xbox at all? At least Nintendo and Playstation will have system exclusives that you can't play anywhere else.

Comfort really it is easy to just fire on a console game on the tellyand go,no messing with updates or driver's or tweaking settings, or conflicting software/hardware. Its just easier all round for a minor to medium difference and most people are happy to make that trade off.

Let's also not forget for every technical marvel of a game on PC there are more than less AAA games that simply don't work for weeks due to bugs, glitches or flat out poorly optimized cash grab ports.

There's pluses and minuses all round really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Do From Software usually attend E3 or do they piggy back on Sony or MS?
    I'm hoping they announce something this week.

Usually most new announcements come at the Tokyo Game Show when it comes to From Software.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

qrx wrote: »
    Also, Most PC gamers eventually grow tired of the endless upgrade cycle of the PC. Sitting all day at a desk and then coming home and sitting at a desk all night. when that day comes and you finally join us lowly peasants on a console, you'll have a back catalog ready and waiting for you. You won't need to keep a 10 year old PC in the corner just in case you want to play your old games (but never actually do). Instead you can admire them in your Ready to Install list on your console

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Might have imagined it but I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that TLOU2 won't be at E3. Or it might have been Death Stranding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

J. Marston wrote: »
    Might have imagined it but I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that TLOU2 won't be at E3. Or it might have been Death Stranding.

They said Death Stranding wouldn't be at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It's what your used to though.

Why are you waiting for updates? Mine install in rest mode on both my PS4 and One.

Well I suppose mine is never plugged in long enough to put it in rest mode, since I've the PC it only gets used for the odd good exclusive which don't come along that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

No Shenmue 3 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I thought Anthem looked extremely interesting. Graphically it looked amazing - and the idea of the different suits offering properly different gameplay is interesting. As a massive destiny fan I’m pumped to see where Anthem goes.

I am curious to see just how open it is - for example, the initial jump and flight bit, I wonder if that initial jump results in a choice, they chose to go left to a particular map area and the subsequent flight through the tunnel until they land is basically an extremely pretty loading screen. Also, it will live and die by its gun play - in comparison to Destiny anyway - and they will have to come an awful long way from Mass Effect (which it reminded me a lot of) to get anywhere close to Bungie/Destiny.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm on the fence about Anthem........remember when the division was e3 first and it had those cheesy com moments, that's what it reminded me of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Any time I turn on a console I've to wait about an hour for updates.

If that's true there's an issue with your console, usual PS4 updates take me no more than 3-4 minutes tops, and maybe one update every month or two I think.

I downloaded battlefield 1 last night about 60ish gigs took 6 hours downloading in background while I played overwatch.

Not sure what's wrong with yours, but it's not normal as far as I can tell.

I'm on PS4 but I have no reason to believe the Xbox wouldn't be the same.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well I suppose mine is never plugged in long enough to put it in rest mode, since I've the PC it only gets used for the odd good exclusive which don't come along that often.

Hardly fair then to judge it by that standard. If you didn't turn on your PC for several weeks (being away on holiday or something) and you went to play Overwatch or something upon your return, chances are you'd have to wait for an update to download for it too, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I'm on the fence about Anthem........remember when the division was e3 first and it had those cheesy com moments, that's what it reminded me of.

They all seem to have the "Cool Fam Bro" scripted dialogue over them for these conferences. Just stop and have 2 normal people be the ones playing. Speaking of which, until we see some "Actual" gameplay, we wont know how good the game actually is.

Penn wrote: »
    Hardly fair then to judge it by that standard. If you didn't turn on your PC for several weeks (being away on holiday or something) and you went to play Overwatch or something upon your return, chances are you'd have to wait for an update to download for it too, no?

But, but, that's ... logic.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Same here with my Xbox 360. Only really used it for Forza and the odd second hand game I'd pick up super cheap from Gamestop but everytime I turn the thing on I had a 10-20 minute update waiting for me.

Ubisoft are the main culprits for fake com chatter and strangely enough also for piss poor multiplayer titles. Anthem looks interesting but very Destiny rip-off-esque and with Destiny 2 coming to PC it will be interesting to see how each fairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sorry that I didn't read through all pages since yesteday's XBox conference but was anyone else getting confused by all the different terms being used before each trailer? If I picked it up correctly, nearly all the games will be available on PC, some are console exclusive and some are timed exclusives?

I am curious to see just how open it is - for example, the initial jump and flight bit, I wonder if that initial jump results in a choice, they chose to go left to a particular map area and the subsequent flight through the tunnel until they land is basically an extremely pretty loading screen.

Before they turned left, there was a marker for something straight ahead of them. Would like to know if they could have gone for that instead of the mission marker.

And yes, I'd say the flight through the tunnel is akin to Destiny's loading screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

They all seem to have the "Cool Fam Bro" scripted dialogue over them for these conferences. Just stop and have 2 normal people be the ones playing. Speaking of which, until we see some "Actual" gameplay, we wont know how good the game actually is.

I am just waiting for community interaction to match the same realism these CEOs and Developers espouse in their presentations.

Until the on-stage 'players' start shouting "Go fúck yourself!" or "You cheating piece of shít!" or "kys" or "get cancer", the team work 'chat/banter' is all faked in my books.

'Make Presentations Real Again' :pac:

Just had another look at the Anthem gameplay trailer, the NPC at the start giving the player the find "the noobs I sent out" mission and the players voice replying to the NPC, was the same as when she was tossing the Fam Bro lines at the other players.

Venom wrote: »
    Just had another look at the Anthem gameplay trailer, the NPC at the start giving the player the find "the noobs I sent out" mission and the players voice replying to the NPC, was the same as when she was tossing the Fam Bro lines at the other players.

Yeah, but they're not gonna show the whole NPC talk and then have a box at the bottom of the screen that says "Press A/X" to accept mission are they? :p

The end product won't have so much scripted Fam Bro cheese to it.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sorry that I didn't read through all pages since yesteday's XBox conference but was anyone else getting confused by all the different terms being used before each trailer? If I picked it up correctly, nearly all the games will be available on PC, some are console exclusive and some are timed exclusives?

If a game had the "Windows play anywhere" it means its coming to Windows 10 and I think with MS first party stuff, buying on either format gets it on both Xbox One/S/X and PC.

4k means it runs at 4k but only Forza (I think) claimed it was 4k at 60 FPS. I'm thinking most games will be running in 4k at 30'ish FPS.

The exclusive stuff seems all over the place so **** knows.

Yeah, but they're not gonna show the whole NPC talk and then have a box at the bottom of the screen that says "Press A/X" to accept mission are they? :p

The end product won't have so much scripted Fam Bro cheese to it.

Maybe.

Bioware do love their voice acting after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Venom wrote: »

Yeah - that confused me a lot - character voice was same as the player voice.

CastorTroy wrote: »

They basically used three different terms; Xbox One & Windows 10 Exclusive (as in, can be bought both on Xbox One and through the Windows 10 store), Console Launch Exclusive (timed exclusive) and World Premiere (released on multiple platforms but being shown for the first time at MS's E3 conference).
    List here from MS themselves:
    https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/xbox-e3-2017-briefing-recap/

MS announced last year that all games for the XB1 from now on will be playable on Windows 10 as well (so if you own the game on one, you can download it to the other). So all Xbox1 games are PC as well, but some are only available through the Windows 10 store, not Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think one of the most appealing games on show was Metro. I really need to play the first 2 but it was nice to see a single player game.

So Microsoft are doing their own version of Treehouse Live this year? Sony doing it as well?

Advertisement