Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,907 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think one of the most appealing games on show was Metro. I really need to play the first 2 but it was nice to see a single player game.

So Microsoft are doing their own version of Treehouse Live this year? Sony doing it as well?
    That demo looked nothing like playing a game, to me, so i found it very difficult to attach to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

cant get excited for anthem at all. Its so bloody far from what bioware are/where good at it. Bungie stuck to what they where good at for destiny and expanded. Bioware have done a full 180 turn around. They where never about multiplayer. Says a lot that the guy talking about it at the xbox presser was an ea exec. bioware is just ea now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Yeah - that confused me a lot - character voice was same as the player voice.

Ye that got me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

bioware is just ea now

Precisely. BioWare is a shell company EA trades under now. Nothing more. This is EA's modus operandi and it has been for a number of years. Westwood Studios, Bullfrog, Maxis, BioWare, and there are probably more I can't think of. EA have no intention of buying talent, they buy IPs and brands, harness their market share to prop up the coffers, milk it until its dry and needs to put down, and then move on to the next big thing.

DICE is the only one that has remained relatively unscathed in the buy-out process. Sure, its had hiccups (Battlefield: PayDay and Battlefront), but most of their releases have been solid without much blowback. The Frostbite Engine is what EA wants (for cost saving purposes), and a solid military shooter to get into that sweet COD money.

Penn wrote: »
    MS announced last year that all games for the XB1 from now on will be playable on Windows 10 as well (so if you own the game on one, you can download it to the other). So all Xbox1 games are PC as well, but some are only available through the Windows 10 store, not Steam.

It wasn't all games, and the "cross buy" was limited. MS are limited in what they can do, they can hardly give away PC copies of games that aren't their own without a deal which would be impossible to do for everything.

It's not going to be the likes of COD or BF.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Comfort really it is easy to just fire on a console game on the tellyand go,no messing with updates or driver's or tweaking settings, or conflicting software/hardware. Its just easier all round for a minor to medium difference and most people are happy to make that trade off.

That might have been true in the 90s with windows 95 but I've never had issues like that. PC gaming is very stable and automated these days. You do get the odd poss poor port but then that just means 30 fps at launch. It's not like the game doesn't work at all. Venturing onto early access might throw but a few wobbles but then they are unfinished games. Have a ssd in my PC and it boots to steam faster than my ps4 takes to load up.

I kind of find consoles are now moving more into PC territory these days. They are no longer plug and play and setting up a network is a bit of a hassle due to the platform holder security. There's upgrades now. Most people will need to upgrade their hard disk at the very least.

It's a weird time for consoles. The only thing keeping them from becoming full on PC boxes is the closed marketplace. You even see the PS4 opening the flood gates to some steam green light level dreck meaning it must not to too hard to self publish on the platform, something I wouldn't have thought platform holders would be open to. There's a big shift towards user generated content at the moment but the console holders have unexpectedly embraced it... well maybe not Nintendo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Varik wrote: »
    It wasn't all games, and the "cross buy" was limited. MS are limited in what they can do, they can hardly give away PC copies of games that aren't their own without a deal which would be impossible to do for everything.

It's not going to be the likes of COD or BF.

Shadow of War is a "Play Anywhere" title so they're trying to get AAA non exclusive games on board too. Don't think we'll see a multiplayer game as a "Play Anywhere" that isn't xbox/win10 exclusive anytime soon though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Penn wrote: »
    They basically used three different terms; Xbox One & Windows 10 Exclusive (as in, can be bought both on Xbox One and through the Windows 10 store), Console Launch Exclusive (timed exclusive) and World Premiere (released on multiple platforms but being shown for the first time at MS's E3 conference).
    List here from MS themselves:
    https://news.xbox.com/2017/06/11/xbox-e3-2017-briefing-recap/

MS announced last year that all games for the XB1 from now on will be playable on Windows 10 as well (so if you own the game on one, you can download it to the other). So all Xbox1 games are PC as well, but some are only available through the Windows 10 store, not Steam.

Yea but if it's not one of the Windows 10 store games you have to buy it twice and they don't share progress, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

cant get excited for anthem at all. Its so bloody far from what bioware are/where good at it. Bungie stuck to what they where good at for destiny and expanded. Bioware have done a full 180 turn around. They where never about multiplayer. Says a lot that the guy talking about it at the xbox presser was an ea exec. bioware is just ea now

Bioware did Mass effect 3, I haven't played the multiplayer of that, but its held in pretty high regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Retr0gamer wrote:
    That might have been true in the 90s with windows 95 but I've never had issues like that. PC gaming is very stable and automated these days. You do get the odd poss poor port but then that just means 30 fps at launch. It's not like the game doesn't work at all. Venturing onto early access might throw but a few wobbles but then they are unfinished games. Have a ssd in my PC and it boots to steam faster than my ps4 takes to load up.

All true it depends I suppose on what your looking for, I bought darkest dungeon on PC and PS4 and it's way better an experience on PC nothing to do with visuals it's just optimized for pc controls etc and ported to console,wastlenad 2 was the same and to a lesser degree so is xcom.

It's the reverse with alot of AAA games it's clear PC is a tagged on port.

For example I have a good pcfor gaming not great but still good to go for another year or two before I need to rejig it.

However there is no hope in hell I'll play destiny on PC over PS4 on release.

It's not really one or the other is best for me, I think they both compliment each other in a way and fulfill different needs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

awec wrote: »
    Yea but if it's not one of the Windows 10 store games you have to buy it twice and they don't share progress, right?

Sorry, just to note Varik was right, it's not all XB1 games, just ones called "Play Anywhere".

But yeah, if it's not a Play Anywhere game, then it's completely separate on each platform. If it's Play Anywhere, your saved game, achievements etc carry across both as they both are linked to your XBox Live account.

http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/games/xbox-play-anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hopefully Sony will announce a release date for Gran Turismo Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Hopefully Sony will announce a release date for Gran Turismo Sport.

2020 probably. It boggles the mind how polyphony digital are left tip away at such a snails pace on that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

"Mega-tasking"

**** off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Falthyron wrote: »
    Precisely. BioWare is a shell company EA trades under now. Nothing more. This is EA's modus operandi and it has been for a number of years. Westwood Studios, Bullfrog, Maxis, BioWare, and there are probably more I can't think of. EA have no intention of buying talent, they buy IPs and brands, harness their market share to prop up the coffers, milk it until its dry and needs to put down, and then move on to the next big thing.

DICE is the only one that has remained relatively unscathed in the buy-out process. Sure, its had hiccups (Battlefield: PayDay and Battlefront), but most of their releases have been solid without much blowback. The Frostbite Engine is what EA wants (for cost saving purposes), and a solid military shooter to get into that sweet COD money.

I will never forgive them for ruining Westwood :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/874296670518890497

SEGA will be at a conference today, most likely Sony's, show me them old IP revivals and Shemue HD please

Sieghardt wrote: »
    SEGA will be at a conference today, most likely Sony's, show me them old IP revivals and Shemue HD please

Could be the PC Gaming Show. They've a good stable of titles there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

2020 probably. It boggles the mind how polyphony digital are left tip away at such a snails pace on that series.

Not being a fanboy or anything, I actually only have a PS4. Maybe it's just me I find both the rotating Forza teams blow them away now. Even they release every 2 years now.

Well that Intel thing was mercifully short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Switched off at E Sports, there's nothing more sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Well that Intel thing was mercifully short.

VR: The future is bright. eSports Athletes jumping around a stage with headsets on screaming at each other, oblivious of the 5000+ crowd watching on. Can't you feel 'the awesome'? If not, you need an i9.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a lot of thus I'll informed nonsense these days. I've moved from consoles to mostly PC gaming. It's a lot easier now than ever. In fact I find my PC boots up and the interface much easier to use than the disaster operating systems the consoles use. They are just awful except for the switch but that's bare bones and will probably be ruined once they add to it.

Any time I turn on a console I've to wait about an hour for updates.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The only thing I could feel was the cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Bioware did Mass effect 3, I haven't played the multiplayer of that, but its held in pretty high regard.

Yeah but that was focused on sp with mp tacked on as a second mode. Anyone who solely played me3 for mp was doing it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Yay! It's Sean!

Could be the PC Gaming Show. They've a good stable of titles there now.

They've got 3 announcements for total war, 2 new games and some updates to existing.

And likely something from Relic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anthem, Wolfenstein and State of Decay have me interested.

Interested in Frontiers Stream later on Elite.

The XCOM2 expansion, War of the Chosen, will be available in August, and features zombies the lost.

Mmmm, new M&BII Bannerlord footage.

And CA still not saying the fourth race is the Skaven. Warhammer II out September 28th though!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anthem, Wolfenstein and State of Decay have me interested.

Interested in Frontiers Stream later on Elite.

What time is the frontier stream? Didn't realise they're doing one.

Advertisement