Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭Penn

irishman86 wrote: »
    Really? I find once Ive played a game, I have no feeling to go back and relive a story again. Its similar to trophies for harder levels in games, I find them pointless.
    Give me a new story any day of the week

It depends on story and gameplay for me, plus just generally what else is there to play or worth buying at the time. I played through the original Metal Gear Solid at least 10 times, and MGS3 probably 6 or 7 times.

A game with a good story is like a good film. You might know the story and what happens, but it doesn't always lessen your enjoyment of it. There are definitely story games I enjoyed but wouldn't play again, but there are some that I don't think I could ever get bored of playing through (though obviously gameplay and length is a huge factor in that too).

• Days Gone was impressive in fairness, but that was about it.
    No TLOU2 :(

Penn wrote: »
    and a zombear which is something I never knew I wanted to see until I saw it.

Red Dead Redemption had zombie bears among other zombie wildlife in the undead nightmare dlc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony has its own conference where they seem to announce the big games. It's kind if like their direct and part of them moving c away from the e3 model.

Also where the he'll were all these Japanese games supposedly at e3 from Sony?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Read it elsewhere this morning and I think it's a good point - nearly everything big from Sony first parties looks like it's very heavily influenced by The Last of Us. God Of War, Days Gone and even the Uncharted DLC all look and feel like they're using TLOU as their base.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also where the he'll were all these Japanese games supposedly at e3 from Sony?

Knack 2 not good enough for you, ey? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

M!Ck^ wrote:
    Days Gone was impressive in fairness, but that was about it. No TLOU2

I am watching the conference now. Honestly Days Gone looks good but it has a game setting that is so similar to The Last of Us if you put clickers in instead of "freakers" it could easily be a spin off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Read it elsewhere this morning and I think it's a good point - nearly everything big from Sony first parties looks like it's very heavily influenced by The Last of Us. God Of War, Days Gone and even the Uncharted DLC all look and feel like they're using TLOU as their base.

Which is annoying when you are looking for some diversity.

Lots of Parent child dynamics going on.

To be fair though God of War looks gloriously stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Watched the BG&E trailer again. Please don't make the chav Monkey the protagonist, incredibly annoying and that's just from a minute's footage. Don't think I could put up with a whole game of "Fúck you bruv innit."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Shadow of Collussus might be worth a go this time, the framerate and controls in the original are pretty damn terrible to be honest.

• Advertisement

• Just under 3 hours and counting until Nintendo lays the Smackdown on E3 (Hopefully)

giphy.gif

ERG89 wrote: »
    I am watching the conference now. Honestly Days Gone looks good but it has a game setting that is so similar to The Last of Us if you put clickers in instead of "freakers" it could easily be a spin off.

But therein lies the difference surely. The Last of Us was a linear game putting you in confined spaces with few resources and enemies that if they got hold of you at all, you were dead. Days Gone is open world with seemingly a good bunch of resources/items and enemies who go down easy, but are in huge numbers.

The setting is similar (and not exclusive to TLOU though it's one of the best cases of it), but it's the gameplay which sets it apart. It takes a very different approach (and I would say purposefully so in order to try and not be in its shadow).

It might just be the fact they were presenting at E3 but it looked like everything was very situational rather than the open world and random nature of the environment was what afforded the player the game play opportunities. Currently it looks like a million games I've already played before and didn't enjoy.

The other issue with it is that zelda has c really raised the bar on what to expect from open world games and days gone just looks like it's making all the same mistakes as other open world game's.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It might just be the fact they were presenting at E3 but it looked like everything was very situational rather than the open world and random nature of the environment was what afforded the player the game play opportunities. Currently it looks like a million games I've already played before and didn't enjoy.

Can't disagree there. It's an open world game and so far we have no idea what kind of direction they're taking with that. Ubisoft "ICONS! ICONS EVERYWHERE!" or Rockstar "There's some things to do. Go find them."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just realised there was no Rocksteady announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Didn't realise Nintendo is on at a decent hour today, nice bonus. They already have what to my mind is the game of the show in Mario + Rabids, but some news on unannounced games today would be nice.

I'd pay anything for a proper, fully retranslated Sieken Densetsu Collection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Just under 3 hours and counting until Nintendo lays the Smackdown on E3 (Hopefully)

They have a nice big open goal to aim at anyways. A chance to grab a large chunk of those Christmas Euros.

The strangest thing as mentioned a few posts above is the adoration of older games. Don't get me wrong, some of them are timeless but there were almost tears in people's eyes when OG Xbox backwards compatibility was announced. Really? Is that what pulls people in?

Maybe that's why we have rarely seen innovation this generation aside from smaller titles. Developer's are reacting to whoops and whistles of another Arkham Creed of War of Us.

Nintendo are not immune to this either. From the NES Mini debacle to the cries for that bloody Virtual Console!

Didn't realise Nintendo is on at a decent hour today, nice bonus. They already have what to my mind is the game of the show in Mario + Rabids, but some news on unannounced games today would be nice.

I'd pay anything for a proper, fully retranslated Sieken Densetsu Collection too.

I'm not that hopeful. As someone on us gamer pointed out rabbids has fIlled out Nintendo release schedule gap so that they now have a new game every month in 2017. That might be enough for them.

• Pac1Man wrote: »
    They have a nice big open goal to aim at anyways. A chance to grab a large chunk of those Christmas Euros.

The strangest thing as mentioned a few posts above is the adoration of older games. Don't get me wrong, some of them are timeless but there were almost tears in people's eyes when OG Xbox backwards compatibility was announced. Really? Is that what pulls people in?

Maybe that's why we have rarely seen innovation this generation aside from smaller titles. Developer's are reacting to whoops and whistles of another Arkham Creed of War of Us.

Nintendo are not immune to this either. From the NES Mini debacle to the cries for that bloody Virtual Console!

I think that's more of a cry to have a feature that has been present in the previous console.
    Would love some news on a proper communication feature between friends and some news on OS updates in general.

Even though we all know it's being shown I have a feeling Mario Odyssey could still steal the show with some actual innovative game-play.

Wolfenstien 2 was the best on show so far IMO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

When are square enix up ? and all the other cool Japanese companies?

• Advertisement

Odyssey is a EAD project. That's Nintendo superstar team and tezuka is in charge. If it's anything less than incredible I'd be surprised.

A switch OS update is badly needed. It's obvious it was a soft launch OS. I expect a release date for VC along with the new OS. An its available right now announcement would be even better.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pac1Man wrote: »

Nostalgia is big business these days, look at the film industry. The people who grew up with these things are all adults now with disposable incomes and want to revisit their favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

When are square enix up ? and all the other cool Japanese companies?

Today at 19.45 GMT and tomorrow and Thursday as well, Sega/Atlus just have a lot of booths and not a presentation from what I can gather, most other companies will be waiting for the Tokyo Game Show in September.

Early 2018 is looking far more interesting than late 2017.
    I enjoyed Sony's announcements but I think the real negative is most of the games aren't expected this year which is a trend of their e3 shows. Naive in hindsight but I expected God of War or Spiderman to be. Detroit, the SOTC remake & Days Gone weren't dated either.
    I did like the Uncharted & Horizon add on campaigns. It's nice to be able to get a bit more life out of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

ERG89 wrote: »
    Early 2018 is looking far more interesting than late 2017.
    I enjoyed Sony's announcements but I think the real negative is most of the games aren't expected this year which is a trend of their e3 shows. Naive in hindsight but I expected God of War or Spiderman to be. Detroit, the SOTC remake & Days Gone weren't dated either.

but what's the point of sony releaseing all these games in the later half of the year when alot of 3rd party's do bring out the big hitters if everything comes at the same time then people complain when there's nothing inbetween those gaps

sony has alot of success selling there games in the 1st half of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

biggebruv wrote: »
    but what's the point of sony releaseing all these games in the later half of the year when alot of 3rd party's do bring out the big hitters if everything comes at the same time then people complain when there's nothing inbetween those gaps

sony has alot of success selling there games in the 1st half of the year

no issue with the first half of the year but what about the rest of the year?

is there anything of note coming before christmas?

biggebruv wrote:

I expected 1 of them to be not all obviously. They showed nothing for this year really. Gran Turismo Sport, Ni No Kuni 2 & Knack 2 is a bit listless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

dunworth1 wrote: »
    no issue with the first half of the year but what about the rest of the year?

ok but I don't think it's fair that sony is getting all this stuff directed at them when they have alot of 1st party content released or on the way

Look at Microsofts first party content it's been non-existent since like gears 4 and they have brought out virtually nothing and have revealed virtually nothing except for a new console thats a bit more powerful than the pro yeah yeah and original back compat uggghhh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

dunworth1 wrote: »

Destiny 2, Call of Duty, FIFA etc all land around September.

• Advertisement

Nintendo better not give Europeans shirty 50hz VC titles again. It's insane they still did that in this day and age.

Advertisement