Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The original Xbox had em.... Christ, man I loved it at the time but Halo, Forza... em, grabbed by the goulies... jade empire... I'm struggling. Dang.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Panzer dragoon orta, ninja gaiden black, crimson skies, metal wolf chaos, jet set radio future.

There's good stuff on the Xbox.... just not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

qrx wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe MS have nothing in the pipeline. They've said they are not going to announce anything that is not ready. MS are at the beginning of a new cycle.

I found the PS4 titles to be all very samey, with some exceptions like Spider-man but even in that it's still very familiar to Batman fans. Eurogamer summed it up nicely in this article There's no doubt Sony have a comfortable enough lead that they can play it safe.

a new cycle ahh c'mon man there's no way this is a new cycle/console gen it's a bit more powerful but at the end of the day the games with still be restricted to original Xbox1 and ps4 levels because they need to work on those consoles when they come out it's still part of that gen.

So they have a quiet enough e3 now alot of people are accusing them of playing it safe lol it's madness

sony has nioh and bloodborne for exclusives 2 games completely different from last of us and uncharted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I want that Metroid amiibo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Out of interest whats better than Breath of the Wild?

It's subjective like anything else. I'm playing BOTW now, and while it's good. It's not as good as the hype suggests. I felt Horizon did a few things better. To say it's better than a whole catalog of games is going overboard.

I'm only about 10 hours in but, not really that compelled to go back just yet. Playing Mass Effect Andromenda now too, and that's really pulled me in.

• Advertisement

Horizon for me is by the numbers open world done well. The only thing it does wrong is it's no where near as good as Zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Glad I'm wrong, although the developer hasn't been announced.

They had lost a huge amount of talent and the CEO said they weren't able to do a game like Metroid again but Nintendo must have invested in them after how good their Donkey Kong games were.
    Confirmed that it's not Retro on development duties. :o

Metroid Prime 4 is being made by a new team and not retro studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I want that Metroid amiibo.

Me too, it's beautiful. I thought the BotW Champions were great looking till I saw it.
    419773.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So Mario+Rabbids is Xcom basically

• Advertisement

So Mario+Rabbids is Xcom basically

More xcom is never a bad thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

More xcom is never a bad thing.

Completely agree. I really like the concept of it as a Mario crossover. I hope the difficulty is not too easy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

biggebruv wrote: »
    a new cycle ahh c'mon man there's no way this is a new cycle/console gen it's a bit more powerful but at the end of the day the games with still be restricted to original Xbox1 and ps4 levels because they need to work on those consoles when they come out it's still part of that gen.

So they have a quiet enough e3 now alot of people are accusing them of playing it safe lol it's madness

sony has nioh and bloodborne for exclusives 2 games completely different from last of us and uncharted

its a new cycle under Spencer hes done a huge amount of work in the euro gamer interview he talks about new games coming but hes not going to be showing games 3 or 4 times at e3 anymore.

a lot of sonys games have been shown for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So Fire Emblem Warriors is a pretty par for the course Warriors game.

Has the character warping from Hyrule Warriors Legends. You can also issue commands to other heroes so they move to certain points.

Also has the awful pop-in that Hyrule Warriors suffered with :(

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Out of interest whats better than Breath of the Wild?

i personally had way more fun with sunset overdrive couldn't even finish breath of the wild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I absolutely loved BOTW but in hindsight I think I even preferred Wind Waker HD.

I'm just starting the Witcher 3 and in many ways already it's a big step up from BOTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

/wets self

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great too see xenoblade out this year, too bad I don't own a switch.

Xenoblade looks way more complete than I thought. Was sure it would miss 2017. Looks amazing as well but then the last two Xenoblade games were incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Not the target market at all.

Well I'm a gamer and a parent with young kids so should I not even think of getting a One X for myself? What i meant with my post is that people dont have the money to go all out because kids and life in general so will opt to go the cheaper route because its the same games etc your only sacrificing a bit on the graphics.
    Ok I know what you mean. I still think it's a good price. Remember there will inevitably be a price drop after a year making it more apoealing to a wider audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A Switch is now needed, still going to hold off probably till just before Mario Odyssey, holding off on the Wii U proved very cost effective, but in all honesty just no to a Musou FE game, they have been done to death with little or no creativity added in 20 years.

biggebruv wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe MS have nothing in the pipeline. They've said they are not going to announce anything that is not ready. MS are at the beginning of a new cycle.

I'd be very happy if I had a ps4. But I see more potential in Xbox, just because of where they are at the start of a new cycle as I've said.

I found the PS4 titles to be all very samey, with some exceptions like Spider-man but even in that it's still very familiar to Batman fans. Eurogamer summed it up nicely in this article There's no doubt Sony have a comfortable enough lead that they can play it safe.

Phil Spencer has talked about hitting the reset button. Last 3 years have been mainly foccussed on hardware. 1st party focus is next and he says he has the backing of Microsoft to go do it. Meaning there's money to be spent and he'll be spending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'm pretty sure, barring an unexpected flop, the Switch is in line to have the greatest first year line-up of any console in recent memory.

Am I the only one here who isn't hyped up by the Nintendo announcements? I had a serious gra for Nintendo as a young lad, but I find it hard to muster up the same excitement for their games now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Notorious wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who isn't hyped up by the Nintendo announcements? I had a serious gra for Nintendo as a young lad, but I find it hard to muster up the same excitement for their games now.

Not at all. Mario looks very good. But I couldn't really care about the rest :(

Edit: Also I don't own a Switch at present and I've seen nothing so far to convince me I need one yet.

Notorious wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure, barring an unexpected flop, the Switch is in line to have the greatest first year line-up of any console in recent memory.

Target audience is kids surely? Ive absolutely no problem grown adults getting in on it but you've gotta view through kids eyes. Personally I find them a breath of fresh air. There'll be one under the Xmas tree in my house for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

You have to love Phil no matter your allegiance.

"I don't know what deals get written. I've been pretty open about, I'm not a fan of doing deals that hold back specific pieces of content from other platforms. You don't see that in the deals we've done with Assassin's and Shadow. We'll have a marketing deal on those, but I don't say, hey, I need some kind of Strike or skin somebody else can't play."

Phil Spencer has talked about hitting the reset button. Last 3 years have been mainly foccussed on hardware. 1st party focus is next and he says he has the backing of Microsoft to go do it. Meaning there's money to be spent and he'll be spending it.

of course hes gonna say that theres a new console to sell but at the end of the day its the games that sell the consoles not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Target audience is kids surely? Ive absolutely no problem grown adults getting in on it but you've gotta view through kids eyes. Personally I find them a breath of fresh air. There'll be one under the Xmas tree in my house for sure.

For yourself :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

For me it's not about going back to play the same games (although I do that a lot but usually for gameplay). There's lots of older games I haven't ever played. I jump around from playing the original doom (with mods), to some early 2000 games, to modern titles. It makes no difference what time the game was released released but I find generally higher quality, attention to detail and niche appeal for older titles.

Point is there's absolutely tons of older games I can check out and have a safer bet that they'll be good. Where as modern games a lot of flash but are generally shallow... which is why I buy so very few of them. I think Tekken 7 & Witcher 3 are the only full-priced modern titles I bought in the last 5 years.

I understand playing older games you never played before, that makes sense. Maybe you arent like the common people screaming for games they played to the death already.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Penn wrote: »
    It depends on story and gameplay for me, plus just generally what else is there to play or worth buying at the time. I played through the original Metal Gear Solid at least 10 times, and MGS3 probably 6 or 7 times.

A game with a good story is like a good film. You might know the story and what happens, but it doesn't always lessen your enjoyment of it. There are definitely story games I enjoyed but wouldn't play again, but there are some that I don't think I could ever get bored of playing through (though obviously gameplay and length is a huge factor in that too).
    I guess we disagree, for me Ive enjoyed it and every time after that it just depreciates in enjoyment

Advertisement