Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is this not what you've done? Or did I miss the information you posted that backs up your point that Microsoft didn't assist with funding the development?
    Varik wrote: »
    Prove I didn't assist with funding.

You can't prove a negative.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Will you 2 give it a rest, people are discussing E3 in the last few pages and within those pages randomly is your little arguments going back and forth like school children.

Neither of you are gonna concede, so just drop it and let's move on.

On an E3 note, none of my E3 dreams came true.

Was hoping against hope for maybe something related to Tenchu, or Onimusha or more Death Stranding or something big from Blizzard.....maybe some Shadow Drops....like DOWNLOAD NOW .
    Most of the main games I'm interested in seem to be 2018, and most of em were already a known quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

8lBnkss.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Will you 2 give it a rest, people are discussing E3 in the last few pages and within those pages randomly is your little arguments going back and forth like school children.

Neither of you are gonna concede, so just drop it and let's move on.

If you had of read my next post rather than jump in waist deep you'd see I already moved on and dropped it. Thanks for your helpful post though.

I see that rocket league and Minecraft are now cross platform between Nintendo, PC and Xbox, but Sony won't allow it with their network.

What do they stand to gain from this? Nintendo has the worst online network infrastructure and they're on board. You'd imagine creating as wide a player pool as possible would only serve to benefit all parties.

This is classic Sony - pure arrogance. It'll be their undoing, I tells ye!
    Expect a Playstation exec to pop out in a few days to say Playstation players don't want cross platform support :p
    Seems like their go to statement. Very similar reason excuse for not allowing PSN ID changes.
    ibFoxer wrote: »
    I swear i'm not taking a swipe at Sony with this, i just find the decision to be mind boggling, and on the whole i find them to be an odd bunch of fish with regard to cross platform play- literally every other party has at the very least opened themselves to having a dialogue on it, but not Sony. I cannot for the life of me fathom why. It is quite possibly the most anti gamer policy that a gaming company has ever had, and held to.
    "This Is For The Players" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Many xbox gamers will boycott Destiny 2 over the exclusive content. I know this sounds like an overreaction but personally I feel it's a breach of consumer rights. It's very different to timed exclusive rights. And Sony will have put very little money into it. All were talking about is rights to use ps4 logo and "4 the players" in their ads. It stinks of brand loyalty. From a games developer that disgusting. Doubly so from a development house that MS nurtured and made successful with Halo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

qrx wrote: »
    I know this sounds like an overreaction but personally I feel it's a breach of consumer rights.

Could you expand on why you think that? Not that I want to get into a legal mumbo-jumbo debate or anything, but I'm just genuinely curious as to what rights you feel are being breached.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ok I know what you mean. I still think it's a good price. Remember there will inevitably be a price drop after a year making it more apoealing to a wider audience.

Yeah I completely agree, its not a bad price for the kit your getting but people will hold out for price drops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Many xbox gamers will boycott Destiny 2 over the exclusive content. I know this sounds like an overreaction but personally I feel it's a breach of consumer rights. It's very different to timed exclusive rights. And Sony will have put very little money into it. All were talking about is rights to use ps4 logo and "4 the players" in their ads. It stinks of brand loyalty. From a games developer that disgusting. Doubly so from a development house that MS nurtured and made successful with Halo.

I'll still be buying it day one.

Yes it's a pain Xbox players don't get the content for one year (nearly two years in the case of the second installment), and not just for Xbox players. PS4 players are also hindered because those extra strikes can not be part of the Nightfall or strike playlist rotation because Xbox doesn't have the content.

This topic came up quite regularly on the Destiny forum and both sets of players feel the exclusive deal was to long (one month is fine etc) and quite poor.

Penn wrote: »
    I know this sounds like an overreaction but personally I feel it's a breach of consumer rights.

Could you expand on why you think that? Not that I want to get into a legal mumbo-jumbo debate or anything, but I'm just genuinely curious as to what rights you feel are being breached.
    I'm no expert on consumer law and I'm sure they have themselves covered, but don't all EU citizens have to be treated equally. I'm struggling to think of a comparable example. It just doesnt happen in any other retail sector. Intentionally selling an inferior product to a certain demographic based on a marketing deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm no expert on consumer law and I'm sure they have themselves covered, but don't all EU citizens have to be treated equally. I'm struggling to think of a comparable example. It just doesnt happen in any other retail sector. Intentionally selling an inferior product to a certain demographic based on a marketing deal.

All EU citizens are being treated equally. They all have the right to buy a PS4 to get the exclusive content if they so choose. Although it might feel like it to you, Xbox owners aren't a minority group protected against discrimination by EU law.

• Advertisement

I think the difference there would be that the PS4 version is one product, and the XB1 version is a different product. So all PS4 players would be treated equally, and all XB1 players would be treated equally, but both groups aren't treated equally together because they're not actually buying the same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Gears of War 1-4, Halo 1-5, Uncharted 1-4 - they're all the same game with nicer graphics.

Trace the lineage of Zelda and Mario and they're generation defining, genre creating games.

Uncharted is a good series not great mind you.

Generation defining , genre creating games kinda fits Halo fairly well. And I'm not an Xbox "guy"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Going by the reaction online to destiny 2 I don't think people will boycott it because of it been exclusive.

All EU citizens are being treated equally. They all have the right to buy a PS4 to get the exclusive content if they so choose. Although it might feel like it to you, Xbox owners aren't a minority group protected against discrimination by EU law.
    I wasnt suggesting xbox owners are a minority group. You dont need to be a minority group to be discriminated against. Just an individual will do.

Anyway, did someone mention this is a timed exclusive deal? That's different. I'm ok with that :) I missed that part sorry, I thought ps4 are getting more content period :)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'll still be buying it day one.

Yes it's a pain Xbox players don't get the content for one year (nearly two years in the case of the second installment), and not just for Xbox players. PS4 players are also hindered because those extra strikes can not be part of the Nightfall or strike playlist rotation because Xbox doesn't have the content.

This topic came up quite regularly on the Destiny forum and both sets of players feel the exclusive deal was to long (one month is fine etc) and quite poor.

Yep, way too long for a timed exclusive. I guess this deal would have been made maybe 5 years ago when both MS and Xbox were looking for any kind of 3rd party exclusive they could get their hands on. Glad to see that practice is starting to ease back now a little.

Getting back to E3, I like the way the conferences/showcases were done. All about the games, although the was nothing that really wowed me like I was hoping for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's it. I'm suing Sony for not releasing Nioh on PC!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's it. I'm suing Sony for not releasing Nioh on PC!

Feck that I'm suing them because Sunset overdrive and now anthem....... How dare they not have those games on PS4 :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Going by the reaction online to destiny 2 I don't think people will boycott it because of it been exclusive.

This talk of boycott reminds me of the MW2 boycott years ago now. Total failure.

Here's a pic of what the boycott group on steam were playing on release day.

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Since when did someone owning a videogames console need legal protection from the opinions of others?
    Must be room for debate, and differing opinions, without taking offence.
    Equally, individuals should be a bit more respectful of the buying decisions of others too, and not seek to inflame for kicks and giggles.

CatInABox wrote: »
    This talk of boycott reminds me of the MW2 boycott years ago now. Total failure.

That was quiet funny in fairness. Sure didnt plenty say they weren't getting Advanced warfare and end up getting it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It is fairly lousy to ask people on Xbox to pay the same price as the PS4 game, knowing that their getting less content going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I dont know, the timed exclusive stuff sucks.

Id rather play a game that is missing 1 gun, 1 strike and a mp map than not play a game at all.

I cant believe Phil Spencer is complaining about 1 game locking out a very small amount of content for a period of time. When his own company have been doing it for years. Even worse is locking out entire games as timed exclusives. (Fifa Legends, Tomb Raider etc)

Spencer's statment sounded fairly salty to me.

The problem with Destiny was that the first game was so short on content that locking any of it away was a big deal. Hopefully this won't be as big an issue in the sequel.

It is fairly lousy to ask people on Xbox to pay the same price as the PS4 game, knowing that their getting less content going in.

Sure the same could be said about items that are in xbox games that arent in PS4 games.

Absolutely. Locking any content behind an artificial wall and then only releasing it to one set of customers is always crappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Yeah he locked out Tomb Raider for almost a year, and PS4 NEVER got the Fifa legends. He's talking crap.

Those MW2 protestors are pathetic, entitled babies.

Ok I can see how ridiculous my comments were in fairness. I think most people are agreed it's a dick move but whatever.

But if there's any shenanigans with RDR2 I'll be onto my solicitor :p

Rossi IRL wrote: »

Id rather play a game that is missing 1 gun, 1 strike and a mp map than not play a game at all.

I cant believe Phil Spencer is complaining about 1 game locking out a very small amount of content for a period of time. When his own company have been doing it for years. Even worse is locking out entire games as timed exclusives. (Fifa Legends, Tomb Raider etc)

Someone told me it's because they didn't do anything to warrant it. It's a multiplatform game and Sony just pulled a dick "if you want to use our logo you have to meet our demands" move. All speculation of course. Spencer is miffed about something so I'm sure something dicky went on. I don't think it's true that he's just being a sore loser.

Rossi IRL wrote: »

I'm not a fan of either method of exclusivity, whether it be exclusive content or a timed exclusive. I don't think the exclusivity deals they do would ever be enough to actually have any significant impact on sales. And I can see the point Spencer is making. It just seems odd for him to have made those comments after having showcased so many timed exclusives during their conference.

I suppose degree matters though, and there are too many variables to decry either method. What is the exclusive content, how long is the timed exclusive, how popular is the franchise etc. And ultimately, Sony & MS are always going to try and get the best exclusive deals for their customer base. It's up to the developers not to sell the farm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I don't think it's true that he's just being a sore loser.

I think it is just that. People who live in glass houses and all that.

Advertisement