Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

qrx wrote: »
    It's a multiplatform game and Sony just pulled a dick "if you want to use our logo you have to meet our demands" move. All speculation of course.

Sorry, but now you're just inventing stuff to be angry over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Penn wrote: »
    It's up to the developers not to sell the farm.

Are those timed exclusive ultimately of benefit to the developers. Weren't Rise of the Tomb Raider's sales on the PS4 pretty dismal once it was released?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It just seems odd for him to have made those comments after having showcased so many timed exclusives during their conference.

I think it's because he's a massive Destiny fan. He's put over 600 hours in the the first one and seems genuinely pissed off that he won't be able to play everything from the sequel on the Xbox X.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I can see it being annoying for Phil as he's a lot weaker hand when negotiating these deals due to such a low user base on the XBox.
    If publishers think it will affect total sales, they are more likely to side with the console with the largest market share.

Phil toured some Japanese publishers earlier this year. Would be interesting to see if he was able to convince Sega or Atlus to start releasing games for the XBox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Sorry, but now you're just inventing stuff to be angry over.
    Apology accepted. I'm not in the slightest bit angry.

• Advertisement

Are those timed exclusive ultimately of benefit to the developers. Weren't Rise of the Tomb Raider's sales on the PS4 pretty dismal once it was released?

They weren't great. It's sold near equal numbers on both XB1 and PS4 even though the XB1 version had a year head start (though the PS4 version came with more content and was a TR 20th Anniversary edition which likely also helped). It still only sold about 3.2m combined. Horizon Zero Dawn has sold almost as much in about 3 months.

To be honest, the biggest trouble I think was when it was released, during Christmas rush in both years. In terms of whether the timed exclusivity deal was of benefit to the developers, it's just impossible to answer the question without knowing how much money MS paid for it. Whether it offset the development costs enough to balance out lower-than-expected sales figures or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Tomb Raider had lost all momentum when it was farted out 9 months after the XBOX release. Didn't do well at all. Have it on Steam but never finished it.

I think it's because he's a massive Destiny fan. He's put over 600 hours in the the first one and seems genuinely pissed off that he won't be able to play everything from the sequel on the Xbox X.

He should get himself a PS4 then… :P

Its estimated first week sales on PS4 was bigger than the first week sales of Xbox One, 360 and PC combined. It did fine on PS4 but the year delay didn't help it, shame as it was a decent game. I picked it up on the One for cheap a month after it came out and did rebuy it for the PS4 for the VR mission and to try it in 4K. Again only because I got it cheap .

Anyone who thinks that Sony said "you can't use our logo or slogan without giving us exclusive stuff" is deluded. Sony paid for the exclusivity or else offered a huge incentive. Phil Spencer whinging about it is comical, he has no problem when it's his company doing it but when it's Sony it's wrong and ungamer. His only regret is that he didn't get the deal.

Tomb Raider had lost all momentum when it was farted out 9 months after the XBOX release. Didn't do well at all. Have it on Steam but never finished it.

Not too sure about that, it sold 8.5 million copies across all platforms and is the biggest selling game in the franchise ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Saint Phil!!

Patron saint of wronged gamers:D

Wonder if he was offered the exclusive deal on destiny 2 tomorrow would he take it? My guess is he would bite bungies hand off to get it.

I agree these deals are ****ty though,they dont benefit gamers in any way really.

Also id agree the publishers/devs have a lot to answer for,all they have to do is say no to these deals. Id imagine there offering them to platform holders at this stage. Can be so short sighted,short term profit but potential damage to IP in the long run.

EoinHef wrote:
    Also id agree the publishers/devs have a lot to answer for,all they have to do is say no to these deals. Id imagine there offering them to platform holders at this stage. Can be so short sighted,short term profit but potential damage to IP in the long run.

When you have games rushed out into the middle of the busiest month of the year because someone made a deal with Nestle and they have half a billion and branded packets to put on shelves, you know that the industry is inherently screwed

Not too sure about that, it sold 8.5 million copies across all platforms and is the biggest selling game in the franchise ever.

Rise of the Tomb Raider sold less than 2 million on ps4, and 1.5 million on Xbox.

I think he means Rise of the Tomb Raider which would have less than half those sales I think.

Think that's the rebooted one from 2013 for 360 and PS3. That figure would also include the Definitive Editions then released for XB1 and PS4.

Rise of the Tomb Raider hasn't sold half that.
    PS4 - 1.69m
    360 - 0.34m
    XB1 - 1.51m
    Windows - 0.15m
    http://www.vgchartz.com/game/82906/rise-of-the-tomb-raider/

That is grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This thread is not long for this world. Any talk of E3 and the games long forgotten and replaced with the usual $h!te slinging match.

Rise of the Tomb Raider sold less than 2 million on ps4, and 1.5 million on Xbox.

Says more about the appetite for the game than anything else. The 2013 reboot had the exact same exclusivity deal.

Its estimated first week sales on PS4 was bigger than the first week sales of Xbox One, 360 and PC combined. It did fine on PS4 but the year delay didn't help it, shame as it was a decent game.

Part of me wants to get it but after finishing Uncharted 4 not long ago, I don't know if I have the heart for another ledge-jumping game.

Says more about the appetite for the game than anything else. The 2013 reboot had the exact same exclusivity deal.

No it didn't. It released on both on the same day. There were no timed exclusivity deals.

• Advertisement

I don't think it did at all.

Part of me wants to get it but after finishing Uncharted 4 not long ago, I don't know if I have the heart for another ledge-jumping game.

You should. Both the 2013 reboot and Rise and much better games than Uncharted with less restriction and linearity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

the 2013 game didn't have the timed exclusive deal PS3 and 360 got it March 13 while the PS4 and One got it January 2014.

No, it didn't. It was released on the Xbox360 and PS3 on the same day.

I don't think it did at all.

Huh, turns out you're right. I was fully sure it was the same for both games.

You should. Both the 2013 reboot and Rise and much better games than Uncharted with less restriction and linearity.

I enjoyed the first one and I was going to pick it up Rise in Tesco while it was half price but they're sold out. I played a bit of the demo last night but I think I'll hold off a little while longer.

Uncharted as amazing looking as it is, just gets really boring after a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Any e that thinks bubgie are paying to put a Playstation logo in their advert doesn't know how business works. Sony is paying to have that in the adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Uncharted as amazing looking as it is, just gets really boring after a while.

I stopped halfway through 3 because it got boring, but in saying that I started 4 yesterday...because it was on sale on PSN.

• Advertisement

I meant 4! I really should specify. Hated the first 2 with respawning enemies and horrible shooting.

Advertisement