Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    The One at launch though was bundled with the Kinect and there were no alternatives (eg. People now can buy the One S).

If the vanilla consoles are around 300 and the PS4Pro is 400, the question is will the graphical upgrade be worth paying another 100 for the Scorpio to the average consumer? It'll obviously sell, but in high enough numbers? I'd doubt it. As someone else already said, only about 1 in 5 PS4s sold are Pros, which is 100 more than the vanilla PS4. A new model of Xbox for 200 more, even though the One S has HDR and 4k... I don't see it happening in great numbers.

If MS announced a 400 price tag and some new exclusives tonight, I'd buy one.

Phil Spencer has said on countless occasions that Scorpio is a premium product.

People love to have the best though and there will be quite a jump in specs between Pro and Scorpio so that in itself will see quite a few sold.

Maybe a sales target of 20%-25% of all Xbox sold been Scorpio is realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

what exactly are they trying to do with it? native 4k? cant see them doing that for 400-500 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Phil Spencer has said on countless occasions that Scorpio is a premium product.

People love to have the best though and there will be quite a jump in specs between Pro and Scorpio so that in itself will see quite a few sold.

Maybe a sales target of 20%-25% of all Xbox sold been Scorpio is realistic.

I thought the problem was that not enough xboxes are being sold.
    This will not improve marketshare outside the US.

I would like to see how RDR2 looks on it though.

what exactly are they trying to do with it? native 4k? cant see them doing that for 400-500 tbh

Native 4K has been mentioned. They also mentioned that developers are free to use the power how they want (more frames lower resolution, higher resolution less frames etc)

Digital Foundry had a few exclusive videos on their YouTube a while ago that ran through everything quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Penn wrote: »
    The One at launch though was bundled with the Kinect and there were no alternatives (eg. People now can buy the One S).

If the vanilla consoles are around 300 and the PS4Pro is 400, the question is will the graphical upgrade be worth paying another 100 for the Scorpio to the average consumer? It'll obviously sell, but in high enough numbers? I'd doubt it. As someone else already said, only about 1 in 5 PS4s sold are Pros, which is 100 more than the vanilla PS4. A new model of Xbox for 200 more, even though the One S has HDR and 4k... I don't see it happening in great numbers.

If MS announced a 400 price tag and some new exclusives tonight, I'd buy one.

I think the PS4 Pro isn't selling well because it isn't being pushed enough by Sony. Which I can understand. They are backing whats selling well.

At the beginning of the PS4 Pro Sony said that every game would have a PS4 Pro version but then that went out the window. I can see very little reason to buy a PS4 Pro at the moment. Hardware wise it isn't much of an advancement over the PS4 Slim.

With Scorpio coming out we should see Sony encourage devs to utilise PS4 Pro more.

A price cut on PS4 Pro, better utilisation by devs and stronger push by Sony should help it.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Native 4K has been mentioned. They also mentioned that developers are free to use the power how they want (more frames lower resolution, higher resolution less frames etc)

Digital Foundry had a few exclusive videos on their YouTube a while ago that ran through everything quite well.

i remember watching e3 last year and it came across as part of a stop the whole different generation console type of drive. Interesting to see whether they will just keep iterating like the phone/pc industry or stick to the standard generation cycle.

I also want to watch the ms conference to see if they will continue the push of play anywhere. It is nice getting a lot of the xbox games on my windows 10 machine and having free copies for the xbox

I thought the problem was that not enough xboxes are being sold.
    This will not improve marketshare outside the US.

I would like to see how RDR2 looks on it though.

Sales went up quite a bit after the One S was launched.

I'd say you'll get most of your sales from tech people, some PC games who want a powerful console, and those upgrading from the OG One and people who just like to have the latest and greatest.

If RDR2 looks much better on Scorpio than PS4/Pro (or Microsoft manage to get some exclusive deal, I doubt that though) you'll see lots of extra sales as well. That game will be massive.

I can't wait for RDR2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

It is nice getting a lot of the xbox games on my windows 10 machine and having free copies for the xbox

It'd be even better if they released anything other than Forza that was worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Meh, it's all pointless if they don't have the games imo. The problem with Xbox One is not the hardware, it's the games. As of yet, the Scorpio doesn't change that, but of course that could all change tonight.

vfzB6Tp.gif

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »
    It'd be even better if they released anything other than Forza that was worth playing.

didnt they release gow4 and halo wars 2 as well, are there other 1st party xbox exclusives that they havnt? genuine question btw

I hope so. PS4 Pro needs a bit more love.

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/873536685140836354

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the PS4 Pro isn't selling well because it isn't being pushed enough by Sony. Which I can understand. They are backing whats selling well.

At the beginning of the PS4 Pro Sony said that every game would have a PS4 Pro version but then that went out the window. I can see very little reason to buy a PS4 Pro at the moment. Hardware wise it isn't much of an advancement over the PS4 Slim.

With Scorpio coming out we should see Sony encourage devs to utilise PS4 Pro more.

A price cut on PS4 Pro, better utilisation by devs and stronger push by Sony should help it.

I'd put it down more to people either not caring about the graphical upgrade or not having a 4k TV to utilise it. And therein lies the same issue for the Scorpio, except now even more expensive of an upgrade compared to the vanilla model.

I mean, I fail to see how you say they should cut the price of the Pro, but also justify the price of the Scorpio. Regardless of how strongly the companies push the consoles, it will always come down to price. That's a large part of what really damaged the PS3 for the first few years, and the XBox One when it was force bundled with the Kinect that most people didn't want.

Again, for some people who want that graphical upgrade, the Scorpio looks like it could be a beast of a machine and I'm looking forward to seeing it showcased tonight for the first time. But for the average consumer, someone who just wants a few games of Fifa and Cod every now and again, or Little Timmy with his confirmation money, the extra 200 quid is another 3 or 4 games.

didnt they release gow4 and halo wars 2 as well, are there other 1st party xbox exclusives that they havnt? genuine question btw

I know Halo Wars 2 came out to a tepid response but i genuinely don't know if Gears 4 is out yet.

I actually own an Xbox One but it has lived at the bottom of my wardrobe since my Live ran out last summer and i put it away to clear up the clutter in my TV unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I know Halo Wars 2 came out to a tepid response but i genuinely don't know if Gears 4 is out yet.

I actually own an Xbox One but it has lived at the bottom of my wardrobe since my Live ran out last summer and i put it away to clear up the clutter in my TV unit.

It came out nearly 8 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah Gears of War 4 came out. I loved the GOW games and would look forward to playing 4 if I did get a Scorpio. Never had any interest in Halo though.

Crackdown 3 is the big game I expect to see tonight and used to show off the Scorpio. Apparently meant to have a lot of destruction and stuff in it, plus it's an exclusive.

What they are doing with destruction in Crackdown 3 is incredible.

I watched this video again and it still makes my jaw drop. Crazy that even Xbox One will be able to run this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think €500 is fine as long as they're able to sell a message as to why I should buy one and why I don't need to buy a new 4K TV along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think €500 is fine as long as they're able to sell a message as to why I should buy one and why I don't need to buy a new 4K TV along with it.

If I was them I'd throw in a free year of live & a subscription to that new online service they have of games.
    If Sony drop the pro to 350 tomorrow it'd be more attractive to people & the Loch Ness monsta

Oddly enough €350 is the price I have in mind. I want to trade in my Xbox One and get the Scorpio for that price and at €500 I think that's likely.

• Advertisement

Argos are currently selling the Pro for €350.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That's amazing (the Crackdown 3 vid). I remember being blown away by HL2's physics demos back in the day. Got the same buzz watching that, even though I'm now a cynical oul shite. :o

Isn't all that Crackdown physics stuff done from the cloud or something and a lot of techy people said it won't work properly over the bog standard DSL connections that a lot of people have?

Plus the second Crackdown was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Is it? Ha, that'll teach me for watching the video with the sound down. :P :o

Argos are currently selling the Pro for €350.

I have a PS4 and don't feel any need to upgrade at all. Maybe it's because the Xbox One is starting from a position where it's behind the PS4 powerwise, but the Scorpio is a much more tempting prospect for me. Especially with the Play Anywhere stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I have a PS4 and don't feel any need to upgrade at all. Maybe it's because the Xbox One is starting from a position where it's behind the PS4 powerwise, but the Scorpio is a much more tempting prospect for me. Especially with the Play Anywhere stuff.

other than being able to say you have the pro ps4 there isnt really anything else that would tempt average people to upgrade.

Scorpio is a big jump from the original xbox one so people would be more more inclined to upgrade even at $500

Isn't all that Crackdown physics stuff done from the cloud or something and a lot of techy people said it won't work properly over the bog standard DSL connections that a lot of people have?

Plus the second Crackdown was terrible.

Thoroughly agree, the core mechanics are great but as a game it was the same set of missions and objectives repeated 4 or 5 times. Which is why I'm finding it hard to buy into any hype for a 3rd game. I won't write it off just yet, rather wait and see.

Yikes

So pretty much similar to the PS4 Pro but starting from a much smaller base on account of not producing any vaguely interesting games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

A newsletter has leaked from Best Buy canada. Apparently, they're sticking with the name "Xbox Scorpio" which I think is awesome!

main.jpg

• Advertisement

Tinfoil hat time, but given that the source on that $499 price is Geoff Keighley, I'm suspicious. He's as close to game companies as anyone can get and a recognised name. If he puts it out that the price is $499 and Microsoft announce $399, that's an instant win for them and already makes it look like a bargain.

Advertisement