Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Ryzen Build

Options
  • 06-06-2017 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? [1200]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming] All modern games

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [HDD for storage, couple of TBs total]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [24/7 in 1440p]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 30/60 days]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£190.83 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.38 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£120.65 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: OCZ - TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£114.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.99 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (£323.64 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.40 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA GS (UK) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£80.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit (£49.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1026.35
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-13 11:37 BST+0100

£1,046 = €1,186

I don't know if Scan do free delivery to Ireland or delivery at all to here - if not then Parcel Motel will cover it for €3.95, they're really good.

1070 is the third strongest GPU around as best I know after the 1080/1080 TI and is excellent for 1440 (as best I know it can make a decent fist of 4K if you ever find yourself in that situation - some benchmarks at 1440/1440 ultrawide/4K here: http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review-a-look-at-1440p-4k-ultra-wide-gaming/3/ . The 8GB VRAM and power of the GPU means it should last you a long time.

Ryzen 1600 is probably the best value CPU around and will have no issues on any games from what I've read - it also should have a good lifespan as it has 6 cores/12 threads (and i5, the Intel equivalent that the 1600 has rendered obsolete in this generation, does 4/4 by comparison)... this also means if you ever plan on using the computer for other things like video editing, 3D rendering, streaming etc it is a good deal better than Intel chips. Other bonuses are that it both comes with a stock cooler that has got good feedback and can overclock out of the box (Intel chips that overclock by comparison do not come with a cooler). As well as that, AMD only update their chipsets occasionally so if for any reason you want a new CPU in 3-4 years (not that you'll need one, this should last beyond that quite easily) there is a strong chance you won't have to also update your motherboard while with Intel you definitely will. It's not that I hate Intel or anything by the way, I have an i5 6600K, it's just that the Ryzen CPUs that came out in April blow i5s out of the water.

One thing Ryzen requires is at least 2666mhz RAM to really begin perform around their best (people with lesser amounts have reported issues), so 16GB at 3000mhz will have you laughing there. Also put in a 480GB SSD which is tonnes of space for the OS, lots of programmes etc, and any games with a lot of load screens (e.g. Fallout, Witcher, etc) where is cuts down the time you're stuck staring at them considerably, as well as a 1TB HDD for bulk storage, other games, media, etc. You probably wouldn't notice any difference unless you're planning on doing more workstation related type of jobs, but alternatives are m.2 ones (quick again than the 2.5" SSDs, though if you've never had an SSD any will blow you away) - an '850 Evo' 250GB SSD for ?80, an Intel '600p' 250GB for ?94, or a '960 Evo' 250GB for ?114. For a bit of the best of both worlds, a 2.5" 500GB 850 Evo is about ?145 though I left it off as I wanted to keep within your budget.

The PSU is phenomenal apparently - scored 10/10 on Jonnyguru (quick summary of the review here since PSU reviews are pretty technical: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=440 ) and with Gold+ efficiency it will pay back the difference vs a lower cost unit over time in the bills. Also being fully modular makes it a lot easier to attach everything to it, and a hell of a lot tidier in the case (picture of modular vs non modular PSU here).

Cases tend to be highly subjective, though when you're getting to this type of power, especially if you plan on doing much overclocking, thermals do begin to play a bigger role. I like the look of this one personally but that's always going to be highly subjective, and I believe I've seen others recommend it here before due to how it is with heat and wiring. That said, any case marked 'ATX' or 'MATX' will work with your build (though if it has a window, an ATX case might look a bit silly as your MATX motherboard will look tiny inside).

One thing with this build is if you want wifi, the motherboard I have included does not come with it. It will have ethernet if you plan on connecting online by wire, but you can get a USB or PCI wifi adapter for €20-25 in any PC World, Harvey Normans etc, or possibly even a bit cheaper on Amazon when you're ordering the rest of the stuff.

Finally, on Amazon opt to pay in GBP and not EUR - Amazon's exchange rate if you pay in EUR is usually inflated by a good 5c or so, no point in paying an extra €50-60 for absolutely no reason.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I'm guessing the budget was meant to include the monitor? Obviously enough the 1TB hd can be dropped and you can save on the psu (and case) but there's not enough savings there to a 2560x1440 monitor into the budget.

I'm also not a fan of the board as it only has 2 ram slots so you've filled it up leaving no scope to upgrade in the future (and no sane option to just go with 2*4GB now to try and squeeze the monitor into budget).

Oh feck my fault, misread it as 'do you have a monitor already'! Will see if there's any way around it then, but 1440p is going to be a very tight squeeze in that budget, including the monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

OP with regard to point 8, not suggesting any particular option here, but maybe consider the event of requesting a charge back from the bank if you are not satisfied in the coiling off period....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

3 critiques with the above suggestion @Billy86

1. Motherboard ASRock AB350M-HDV does not have a VRM heatsink, so it's not suited to overclocking.
    2. I had a look at that GPU on the AmazonUK site, it is being sold by someone listing themselves as "AmazonUS" so either it's super-dodgy, or OP would have to pay import fees.
    3. That Windows 10 price is too low, so looked into it and yup, another dodgy dealer. Avoid.

With all those Amazon issues, I'd suggest to OP to order everything except the case on Mindfactory.de

*edit* also I'm blind, didn't see the "I need a monitor".
    =======================

@OP
    Since prices have been creeping upwards, I don't think a 1440p monitor & GPU will fit in budget.
    So I suggest a 1080p, 75Hz FreeSync solution instead.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€213.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€98.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€129.25 @ Mindfactory)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€93.91 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8GB Gaming 8G Video Card (€267.93 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-04 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (€65.11 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€89.59 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Monitor: Asus - VG245H 24.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor (€189.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1148.61
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-13 16:39 CEST+0200

(buy monitor & case on Amazon, everything else on Mindfactory)

• Advertisement

Cheers for the look in, never thought to look into it once it showed up on PCPP. Was scraping together the bits of a low budget build recently and Amazon US is legit but yeah, it's infuriating as import prices etc just ramp the cost up way above what others cost even when the saving looks huge in the first place.

How would a 1060 6GB do on 1440p since you had it listed? Not saying it wouldn't work out, I've only ever been on 1080 so can't give a lot of insight, but if it does it could help considerably against the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Another thing to look out for: Mindfactory have timed bundles all the time, e.g.
    https://www.mindfactory.de/Highlights/ASUS_AMD_Everspace_Bundle/new/true

Might be in a little bit of luck here if the OP can push out by an extra €55-75 (though if they use the free version of Windows they'll keep under budget and have some extra budget for the case or maybe a larger SSD)... -IF- that is, a 580 8GB is good for 1440p?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£190.83 @ Ebuyer)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£89.80 @ Alza)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£120.11 @ Ebuyer)
    Storage: Plextor - M7V 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£63.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.08 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8GB Gaming 8G Video Card (£234.92 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£34.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£68.80 @ Alza)
    Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£83.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Monitor: AOC - Q2778VQE 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor (£174.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1101.50
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-13 16:57 BST+0100

£1101.50 = €1,253.50

Also up to €20 extra if all the non Amazon retailers need to go via Parcel Motel at 3.95 a go would make it €1,273 tops (not a clue if they each do or don't so just making the OP aware).

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Cheers for all the suggestions guys. I can take out psu cost (have old pc&p 750w psu). No hdd's needed, have ample storage already.
    Push down ssd to 240gb for some more savings. How does it look now?

You've another problem there Billy86, that monitor is coming from China! Add another £20 to get it from Amazon itself.

Dropping the PSU and hd still won't get the 1070 in there though, drop windows for now also and use it unregistered though and you're less than €20 over probably (not sure about Aria's shipping).

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£194.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£79.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£124.58 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Plextor - M7V 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£63.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card (£379.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: BitFenix - Nova ATX Mid Tower Case (£25.80 @ Aria PC)
    Monitor: AOC - Q2778VQE 27.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor (£193.45 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £1061.76 = €1205 + any parcel-motel/shipping extras

I've gone under €10 extra to get 3200MHz ram (Ryzen loves ram speed) and saved a smidge compared to Billy86 on the case and board.

If you want windows in there now adding it and dropping to 2*4GB ram (board has 4 slots so you can add more later) would leave you about another €35 over budget.

If you could get an rx580 (they are out of stock in general) it would be ok-ish on the 1440 monitor but you would probably have to drop to medium settings on plenty of things, I think the 1070 is a much better bet here.

• Advertisement

minitrue wrote: »
    You've another problem there Billy86, that monitor is coming from China! Add another £20 to get it from Amazon itself.
    For the ****ing love of ****! :pac:

Quoting me £4 delivery but the one you linked to would be the safer bet for a few quid extra.

One thing on your build is that Aria have quoted me something like £7-8 for delivery in the UK alone despite not listing it on their PCPP listings - it's not a big amount but a bit of a matter of principal that I wouldn't use them for that alone, cases and equivalent RAM (or 3000mhz+ anyway) can be easily found on the likes of Amazon with free delivery for similar prices though so it's only a very minor thing.

Intentionally hidden prices just get way, way too far under my skin. :D

Yep case and ram there have plenty of options from other vendors for within a few euro to avoid Aria (not sure why I didn't tbh since I already juggled away from adding ebuyer). Main point really was that the €1200 still remains a problem and something has to give.

Advertisement