Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of AK47/AKM/74 for shooting

• 06-06-2017 6:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭

I live alone in a rural area (Monaghan) and also have properties in Waterford and Swords in Dublin, both owned by my parents.

I like clay pigeon shooting, and am always at Castle Leslie and other ranges. I also have a personal range.

For my personal range and for other use (hunting, though not hunting animals, and self-defence), I would like a Kalashnikov rifle. I already have a Remmington 870 shotgun that is licensed.

I'll soon be 19.

Is it legal to possess a Kalashnikov for personal use? Why/why not? I'm not up on the legality of guns in this country.

Advice would be appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

This is going tI get interesting real quick, however..........A sure give it a go apply for it as a restricted license and let us know how you go.

Out of interest and what would your "good reason" be for an AK"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭AzcuzCoz

For clay pigeon shooting and hunting, though not hunting animals. Is it restricted is all I want to know?

AzcuzCoz wrote:
    For clay pigeon shooting and hunting, though not hunting animals. Is it restricted is all I want to know?

Yes.

Why? I honestly don't know what harm it could be in Monaghan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

AzcuzCoz wrote:

What do you hunt that is not an animal?

AzcuzCoz wrote:
    Why? I honestly don't know what harm it could be in Monaghan!

Have you a good metal detector.....😆

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

AzcuzCoz wrote:
    I live alone in a rural area (Monaghan) and also have properties in Waterford and Swords in Dublin, both owned by my parents.

Thought you were studying in Trinity?? That's a hell of a commute in the mornings from monaghan I'd say.

Not when you leave early in the morning. Why is it restricted in Monaghan?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ok .....Well if this isnt a urine take..Answer is NO of it is a genuine select fire AK.Answer is proably you might get an AK semi auto lookalike.BUT be prepared for a loong fight with your cheif superintendent on ,especially a design like this , of the "Idontlikedelookof datnow!"clause.Also you will need to be aware that the EU will proably move these into Cat A prohibited with a mag capacity above 10 shots.You will be able to get an exemption to own the higher mag capacity but Id advise taking up IPSC outside the ROI to justify possesion.We'll tip our hats to you if you do get it.But be well prepared for a long battle and have your facts in order to convince your cheif

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

AzcuzCoz wrote: »

What else, apart from animals are you hunting?

AzcuzCoz wrote:
    Not when you leave early in the morning. Why is it restricted in Monaghan?

Monaghan men and Cavan men are dodgy fekers...if you lived in Dublin it might be dodgy too. I think you could get a GSG 9 MP 5 lookalike in Kerry though.....

It's because of the IRA in Monaghan isn't it. Thought so. Anyway, what's the harm in keeping it secure in a rural area of Monaghan?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Grizzly 45 wrote:
    Ok .....Well if this isnt a urine take..Answer is NO of it is a genuine select fire AK.Answer is proably you might get an AK semi auto lookalike.BUT be prepared for a loong fight with your cheif superintendent on ,especially a design like this , of the "Idontlikedelookof datnow!"clause.Also you will need to be aware that the EU will proably move these into Cat A prohibited with a mag capacity above 10 shots.You will be able to get an exemption to own the higher mag capacity but Id advise taking up IPSC outside the ROI to justify possesion.We'll tip our hats to you if you do get it.But be well prepared for a long battle and have your facts in order to convince your cheif .

I believe this is a urine take unfortunately.. All he's been doing since joining is extracting urine left right & centre.

Effects wrote: »
    What else, apart from animals are you hunting?

Plants.

ianob7 wrote: »
    I believe this is a urine take unfortunately.. All he's been doing since joining is extracting urine left right & centre.
    I'm honestly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Clay pigeon shooting with an AK ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

You'll be fine OP. Get the gun you want, AK47 or whatever and walk into the big Garda station in Monaghan town and show them it. Be grand.

Ah here, I just asked a simple question, that's all.

So long as you have a good reason or in the case of your proposed fire arm A ****ing Good reason, are of sound mind with no intemperate habits and have a safe place to store it...work away....let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Tis hard enough to hit clays with a shotgun, you'd want to be fairly handy to break them with a Kalashnikov I'd imagine. There would a lot of lads diving for cover too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

AzcuzCoz wrote: »
    Ah here, I just asked a simple question, that's all.

Well the simple answer is no.

I think it's cos it's automatic although not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

AzcuzCoz wrote:
    For my personal range and for other use (hunting, though not hunting animals, and self-defence), I would like a Kalashnikov rifle. I already have a Remmington 870 shotgun that is licensed.

Hunting plants, a personal range and self defense. Is that not enough "good reason" 😅😅😅

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You say you don't know the ins and outs of the law, but know enough to license a shotgun and know that there is a restricted and unrestricted class.

So here are some simple answers and then the thread is closed pending review by the mods.
    • AKs (full auto) are illegal. No other reasoning for it other than they are.
    • AK semi auto or clones are restricted, but good luck trying to get that past your Chief Super.
    • Without membership to a range you're at nothing.
    • A "personal range". Do you have range authorisation as per the Act/SI? If not then you have no range and are illegally target shooting outside a range.
    • If you have range authorisation then you know enough about the law to answer your own question.
    • "Not hunting animals". Again there is no other type of hunting, so that conversation ends here.
    • Training for "self defence". If it's with a firearm, it's RTKBA and that's also illegal and out of bounds for this forum.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The OP is a serial troll and as such the thread will remain closed.

For any future threads of this nature, even if you think there might be a hint of genuine naivety to it, please report the thread and a Mod will deal with it.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo