Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Dunnes chicken portions tend to be pinker or is my oven banjaxed?

Options
  • 06-06-2017 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Second time in a row it has happened. My chicken drumsticks came out of the oven after 35 minutes at 200 degrees and as we started to tuck in, we realised that the outer meat was still very pink.

I thought that maybe the meat was just naturally pinker but it still had a very juicy texture. Too late at that stage to check temperature as it had been out of the oven for a few minutes. Stuck it back in for another 10 minutes but it came out still the same.

Never had this type of problem before but it coincided with 2 things- changing supermarkets to Dunnes and bringing my oven in for a repair on the switch (although I've cooked other things in it since and they've been fine)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Meat should go easily off the bone if the chicken is done, if bits sticks to the bone then you need to cook it longer. I don't know why but leg meat can be pinkish and perfectly cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get an oven thermometer and see if the oven is actually producing 200°C
    You have no other way of verifiying it apart from checking it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can check your oven using sugar
    http://www.food.com/recipe/how-to-test-your-oven-temperature-without-a-thermometer-450973

there are loads of sites about it so some might have a better one, but its a basic test. It can also show up hot/cold spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

The outside was pink? That used to happen to me sometimes when i had a gas cooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

It's an electric cooker. No idea what's going on with it but I've bought an oven thermometer so I'll be able to monitor it from now on :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement