Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Import Licence

Options
  • 06-06-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Guys where do I get my hands on an import licence application form,

Is there any thing I need to know about filling it in ?,
    What other documentation do I need to accompany it ?,
    Am I correct in thinking I can have the firearm sent directly to me ?.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Guys where do I get my hands on an import licence application form,
    Download from here (click on Application Form under individual)
    Is there any thing I need to know about filling it in ?,
    Not really. It's fairly straight forward. Just make sure you get the type of firearm correct.
    What other documentation do I need to accompany it ?,
    Copy of the RFD's license you are buying from and a copy of your license for the firearm.
    Am I correct in thinking I can have the firearm sent directly to me ?.
    Yes.

To import yourself you must be licensed on it before importing so once licensed you can have it shipped directly to you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Thanks Cass,
    What is this on the application form, CIP Proof
    Yes/No

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

CIP is in relation to EU saftey proof marks and standards.
    Leave blank or question mark it if you dont know.

Commission_Internationale_Permanente_pour_l%27Epreuve_des_Armes_à_Feu_Portatives

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Just tick/mark yes. It means the firearm/ammo is safe to use. usually refers to proofing, but is applicable to most all firearms.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks guys I was thinking it had something to do with proofing,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 tomidomi

Thanks guys I was thinking it had something to do with proofing,
    CIP should be Yes
    And firearm type is B.
    Fill the form, make a scan and send it to firearms_inbox@justice.ie along with scan of licence.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Why category B, is B not for restricted firearm.

I'm just about to import a KIDD 10/22 Receiver and in the process of completing the import form.

Category A - Prohibited firearms
    Category B - Firearms subject to authorization
    Category C – Firearms subject to declaration
    Category D - Other firearms

I was reading this as

A - You just ain't getting it
    B - Restricted
    C - Unrestricted
    D - ??

Saying that. Section

B4 - Semi-automatic long firearms whose magazine and chamber can together hold more than three-rounds.

It's a 10/22 with 10 rounds magazine, which i assume falls into category B. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

The OP has not declared what type of firearm they intend to import, but i've a suspicion its not category B, it's category C.

Category C refers to 90% (if not more) of the types of firearms licensed in the country. As was said above it's basically all the unrestricted stuff. Anything restricted comes under B.

That is an oversimplification, but a good yard stick.

Cass wrote: »
    The OP has not declared what type of firearm they intend to import, but i've a suspicion its not category B, it's category C.

Category C refers to 90% (if not more) of the types of firearms licensed in the country. As was said above it's basically all the unrestricted stuff. Anything restricted comes under B.

That is an oversimplification, but a good yard stick.

Cass, in my case, the KIDD 10/22 receiver, its the same as a Ruger 10/22. Does that fall under B or C.

I original was thinking C because its unrestricted but its semi-auto with 10 round capacity which seems to suggest Category B (point 4)

• Advertisement

The semi auto in cateogry B refers to centrefire rifles and shotguns. Rimfire semi autos are Cat C.

Category B- Firearms subject to authorization 1. Semi-automatic or repeating short firearm
    I,m guessing its B.

what is Article 7 and is it required?
    For firearms listed as?category?B?(PDF?-?17KB)?you will need to obtain a document entitled an Article 7.? This is issued by a superintendent of An Garda S?och?na.? A copy will have to be sent to us with your application to import the firearms

Correct .It is a section B.The EU gun ban does categorically NOT apply to .22 rifles.That was insisted on by the UK.
    B4 is more in relation to shotguns and this has changed as well.

ALSO NOTE. DEfault mag capacity for centre fire firearms are now. TEN shots for long arms irrespective of action and TWENTY shots for short arms irrespective of action.That is the EU standard under the new directive.
    Now there are exceptions of course.You can apply for your 30 rounder mag or your 20 rounder mag in a long arm to be registerd as a CAT A prohibited firearm under EU exemptions to the directive for sports shooters,militas,army reserves ,etc.Whether you are granted an exemption is of course another bucket of haddock..:rolleyes:
    How and what should be done with now simply millions of mags out there in Europe and variations of capacity or caliber,has not been thought of by the great Poobahs in Brussels of course.Or the fact that combining mags with duct tape is still perfectly legal...

Simple explanation of the Eu categories[more or less in sweeping generalisation]

CAT A prohibited[full auto,war munitions,missiles,tactical nukes, any firearm with a higher mag capacity than 20 or 10 rounds,converted former military sidearms to semi auto Terms & conditions apply,depending where you live in the EU]

CAT B. Normal sporting rifles and handguns of every day usage,sub divided into different categories depending on classification and different EU countries laws on ownership depending on liscensing.Hence authorisation

CAT C Black powder,multi shot replicas of original BP firearms.Stuff that some EU countries do not consider fire arms in the modern sense and dont require officaldom to mess about with it too much.

CAT D ,BP single shot stuff,orginal or repro air or gas weaponary,blank firing deacts,full deacts .Stuff that fires things, or not as the case may be.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Category B- Firearms subject to authorization 1. Semi-automatic or repeating short firearm
    I,m guessing its B.
    Pistol, then yes. Cat B.
    what is Article 7 and is it required?
    For importing, personally, into the state from Europe. It's sent out by the Supers office to you.
    For firearms listed as?category?B?(PDF?-?17KB)?you will need to obtain a document entitled an Article 7.? This is issued by a superintendent of An Garda S?och?na.? A copy will have to be sent to us with your application to import the firearms
    As above.

OK thanks for the info guys, pistol is suppose to be coming into a dealer in the North, but they don't use import permits and the Germans cant get their heads around this lol, so may need to bring it in myself to Rep. Will wait and see how it pans out first.

Is there a fee when applying for an import licence, I don't see anything mentioned on the form ?

Im importing it myself using an Article 7

Nope,thats for free.:) One of the miniscule good points we have over our EU shooting friends.

Advertisement