Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ProudDUB wrote: »
    These days, Fianna pose about as much threat to Vincents dominance of the D9/11 hegemony, as Leitrim do to our vice like grip on Sam. I'd be much more worried about threats frum de peasants frum de 'Mun, if I was you. Which Bono, Barney Rock, Gavin Friday, Philly and Docta all are. Coincidence? I think not !

Hurling runs the streets now in the mun, Philly needs a special permit to be allowed to play outside with his o'neills ball

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bambi wrote: »
    Hurling runs the streets now in the mun, Philly needs a special permit to be allowed to play outside with his o'neills ball

There was groups of lads with hurls back in my day too Bambi .. wouldn't have been a sliothar in sight mind you .. I think the sport was called protection racket

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Na Fianna are the great hope of Northside hurling in the next few years .. cracking underage setup and the minor teams are there with the best of them - football nah I don't see it but then again Cooper, McHugh, Byrne & Deegan may well drag them back to the top table with the help of a few coming through.

That was a serious team they had back at the turn of the last century tho :rolleyes: ..

Edit .. I responded to your original post .. if I'd seen the edited one the reply would've been a bit different :P

It wasn't edited. Technically, it was part of the original post...but I'm on a piece of $hit lap top, that has something known as a "phantom cursor". It moves as I type & gobbles up parts of previous sentences. It's a right pain in the liathroidi. Maybe one of these days, we'll get a mod in here, from one of the forums that are actually worth a toss....like Laptops and Technology (yeah, Stoner and CatInABox and Yop, I AM looking at you)...coz I've no idea how to sort it out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

It wasn't edited. Technically, it was part of the original post...but I'm on a piece of $hit lap top, that has something known as a "phantom cursor". It moves as I type & gobbles up parts of previous sentences. It's a right pain in the liathroidi. Maybe one of these days, we'll get a mod in here, from one of the forums that are actually worth a toss....like Laptops and Technology (yeah, Stoner and CatInABox and Yop, I AM looking at you)...coz I've no idea how to sort it out. :(

Ah look I'll be the 1st to admit I'm the beneficiary of positive discrimination .. :D - they worked out some coefficient and determined a Dub mod was required .. I think the exact words were "Doc yer the best of a bad lot"...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    Yop

What's he the mod of ? Interior Decorating, set dancing and Sligo or Mayo or something similar.

Is your laptop a Dell PD?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I asked about your problem in the Laptops forum, here's the answer:

Stoner wrote: »
    What's he the mod of ? Interior Decorating, set dancing and Sligo or Mayo or something similar.

Is your laptop a Dell PD?

Yeah. What exacty do you have to do get banned by an Interiors Mod? Admit that you like shag carpet? Say that tassels are over rated? Call Dermot Bannon a scumbag? :confused:

It's an ASUS. It's already been sent away to Ingerland for repair, but they did fcuk all. Tried turning off the touch pad too, but that didn't fix anything. Am stuck with it for now. If I send it away for repair again, it'll be gone for 12 weeks. And I don't feel like banning myself from boards for that long. :D

Sorry if I disrespected the importance of the Home Security forum btw. Where else would Diarmuid Connolly go to protect his home from Mayo people intruders stealing his haul of All Ireland medals?

(Btw, MayoAreMagic, don't worry if you don't understand our Dublin/Mayo slagging. When you are old enough to make your First Communion, your teacher will have explained to you what a sense of humour is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

(Btw, MayoAreMagic, don't worry if you don't understand our Dublin/Mayo slagging. When you are old enough to make your First Communion, your teacher will have explained to you what a sense of humour is.)

My understanding of a sense of humour is the thing has to be funny in the first place... Maybe you are one of these that laughs at their own jokes?

As for my teacher, well it may come as surprise, but not all of us have to go back and do the adult leaving certificate like yourself. No doubt Im footing the bill for that though, along with the bill for your lengthy list of rehab medication. And of course, a bit like Dermo, you are the victim here - the owners of that house you burgled this morning, not so much.
    But I suppose predictable jokes about county stereotypes are only acceptable going the one way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Takes the bait every time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

My understanding of a sense of humour is the thing has to be funny in the first place... Maybe you are one of these that laughs at their own jokes?

As for my teacher, well it may come as surprise, but not all of us have to go back and do the adult leaving certificate like yourself. No doubt Im footing the bill for that though, along with the bill for your lengthy list of rehab medication. And of course, a bit like Dermo, you are the victim here - the owners of that house you burgled this morning, not so much.
    But I suppose predictable jokes about county stereotypes are only acceptable going the one way...

Jasus, who wee'd in your leite this morning? Lighten there my good fellow, We West-Brit Jackeens don't mind at all that you post here. We fully understand that the 2017 Championship thread is no longer relevant to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Jaden wrote: »
    Jasus, who wee'd in your leite this morning? Lighten there my good fellow, We West-Brit Jackeens don't mind at all that you post here. We fully understand that the 2017 Championship thread is no longer relevant to you.

You seem to assume that I am annoyed. Im not actually, Im giving a satirical view on the humour I am classed to be missing. Predictable and quite played out when the shoe is on the other foot, isn't it?

The point is, the issue isnt me lacking a sense of humour, it's just a tired joke is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You seem to assume that I am annoyed. Im not actually, Im giving a satirical view on the humour I am classed to be missing. Predictable and quite played out when the shoe is on the other foot, isn't it?

The point is, the issue isnt me lacking a sense of humour, it's just a tired joke is all.

But do you like coddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Slattsy wrote: »
    But do you like coddle?

Must try that in MacGowans some night....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Must try that in MacGowans some night....

Coppers surely?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Coppers surely?

Auld Triangle or Gills more like.

Was just trying to pretend I had a life...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think when Connolly returns Dublin management should have an independent camera following him for any game he plays. Every team should do it for their star players who get targeted for abuse and accepted "special attention"... then post the entire footage online and shame the opposing players/teams tactics until the GAA has to address the issue.

This isn't just about Connolly. Every player will eventually at some time react to the kind of abuse these guys get during a game. I'm convinced, with some of the reserved dublin fans reactions, that many people don't really see the kind of sh*t Connolly gets during a game at all levels. What sort of logic is "that guy should just take the abuse because it's part of the game". A good shoulder, a 50/50 , players colliding going for a ball, a great blocked shot. There are plenty of physical aspects of the game that don't need to involve the tactics used to wind up players.

It's accepted that when that player eventually reacts he will be punished. But then there's this double sided moral outrage when an official is on the receipt of abuse that isn't a fraction the player suffers...

I call Bullsh*t. I've no problem with officials being protected, it's just when people get all pious about the protection of officials while dismissing player protection.

Tweet just in from the DCB

"Diarmuid Connolly and Dublin GAA have decided not to appeal the decision of the Central Hearings Committee to the Central Appeals Committee"

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/875370874618118144

Our long national nightmare is over.

Again.

I hope.

Or just until he gets sent off again.

We think.

And hope.

Dammit, I need a lie down. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Tweet just in from the DCB

"Diarmuid Connolly and Dublin GAA have decided not to appeal the decision of the Central Hearings Committee to the Central Appeals Committee"

Our long national nightmare is over.

Again.

I hope.

Or just until he gets sent off again.

We think.

And hope.

Dammit, I need a lie down. :o

I'm kinda delighted. No doubt we'll miss him, but the idea of a will he won't he for the next couple of weeks, followed by the inevitable next incident is a hassle we can do without. Great chance for him to have a bit of a break, and for us to get on with the business of winning matches. Assuming we qualify, he'll be raring to go in an All Ireland SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Hmm, so if you have to play Dublin at some stage, the quarters is probably the time to do it. Maybe even the semi as he shouldn't be fully sharp, but he will however have a point to prove.

Maybe a few nice Tyrone players would be able to welcome him back if we did happen to meet in the semi final?

Ehh, can you define what you mean by welcome?

And since when have ye had nice players?

And will his shirt - and my nerves - be in tatters afterwards?

p2dubs.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah that's soft stuff. Ricey might even get a call up for a special assignment if the game happens.

I'd pay good money to see Ricey vs Leeroy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'd pay good money to see Ricey vs Leeroy. :D

It's the under-card to McGregor-Mayweather

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think when Connolly returns Dublin management should have an independent camera following him for any game he plays. Every team should do it for their star players who get targeted for abuse and accepted "special attention"... then post the entire footage online and shame the opposing players/teams tactics until the GAA has to address the issue.

This isn't just about Connolly. Every player will eventually at some time react to the kind of abuse these guys get during a game. I'm convinced, with some of the reserved dublin fans reactions, that many people don't really see the kind of sh*t Connolly gets during a game at all levels. What sort of logic is "that guy should just take the abuse because it's part of the game". A good shoulder, a 50/50 , players colliding going for a ball, a great blocked shot. There are plenty of physical aspects of the game that don't need to involve the tactics used to wind up players.

It's accepted that when that player eventually reacts he will be punished. But then there's this double sided moral outrage when an official is on the receipt of abuse that isn't a fraction the player suffers...

I call Bullsh*t. I've no problem with officials being protected, it's just when people get all pious about the protection of officials while dismissing player protection.

would you be happy to see the same type of camera focusing on the Dublin defenders and how they treat opposing forwards?

It reminds me of the 2015 final when Philly McMahon was on Gooch, the game Gooch spent most of it whinging to the linesman, I was in the lower Hogan near the Canal end, and McMahon was just happy to have his back to the ball and 2 hands squarely across Goochs shoulders pushing him back. And Philly watching the play unfold up on the big screen right above his head, as soon as it looks like the ball is coming somewhere near him, quick as a flash, turns around and is well out in front and playing Gooch off the field.

Now what he was doing was a foul, it was off the ball stuff and was negating a top class forward, but to be honest, I was seriously impressed with his ingenuity and as the Kerry folk would say, cuteness. There are times I cant stand McMahon, but I would have him in my team every day of the week.

bruschi wrote: »
    would you be happy to see the same type of camera focusing on the Dublin defenders and how they treat opposing forwards?

It reminds me of the 2015 final when Philly McMahon was on Gooch, the game Gooch spent most of it whinging to the linesman, I was in the lower Hogan near the Canal end, and McMahon was just happy to have his back to the ball and 2 hands squarely across Goochs shoulders pushing him back. And Philly watching the play unfold up on the big screen right above his head, as soon as it looks like the ball is coming somewhere near him, quick as a flash, turns around and is well out in front and playing Gooch off the field.

Now what he was doing was a foul, it was off the ball stuff and was negating a top class forward, but to be honest, I was seriously impressed with his ingenuity and as the Kerry folk would say, cuteness. There are times I cant stand McMahon, but I would have him in my team every day of the week.

Well. the Princes thumped the living daylights out of Cork, Dublin, Armagh in the 1950s. Even have songs about it,

Down were first team to put manners on them, then Galway, then Dubs, then Tyrone, then Dubs again. It is not easy being the Princes of the Pigskin :)

Is this a Meath free zone? Any room for a small one looking for refuge?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Watching the league final Philly McMahon was constantly going for the ball with a closed fist. If do not get the ball you get the man. I think I saw him clatter opposing players 2-3 times at or above shoulder level. There was no ball about it was lazy defending when he should have used an open hand to unbalance the opposing player. However he got away with it there the breaks of the game.

I doubt if any forward would want a camera on him all throughout a match. Would the video be show complete or just edited highlights. Would it always be released after a match or just when the pictures suited the narrative.

Slava Ukrainii

Jayop wrote: »

"Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Or something like that....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Jayop wrote:

A weean ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That's the whole point, yes have cameras on all these kinds of players. Or a third ref just for spotting this kind of stuff. Force teams to compete on talent, not legal cheating .

Would the game be better if players like Gooch are given protection to showcase their talents more or the protection of the Philly's who just do whatever they want to put them off?! How is The game is better off if talents like Gooch are demoralised ? That's the sports goal ? To have talented players nullified by physical and verbal trolls?

Players today put in professional level of work for the sport and make huge sacrifices. Gooch spending a major game giving out about the abuse he got. DC reacts to The provocation and misses games and gets dragged into a mob of hate... I don't believe this is better then them not having to waste energy trying to keep their heads and focusing purely on the football.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement