Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watching the league final Philly McMahon was constantly going for the ball with a closed fist. If do not get the ball you get the man. I think I saw him clatter opposing players 2-3 times at or above shoulder level. There was no ball about it was lazy defending when he should have used an open hand to unbalance the opposing player. However he got away with it there the breaks of the game.

I doubt if any forward would want a camera on him all throughout a match. Would the video be show complete or just edited highlights. Would it always be released after a match or just when the pictures suited the narrative.

The idea is to force change. The GAA have to make the changes so each county gives its own edited recordings forcing the powers to get involved.

A third ref would sort it out pretty quickly IMO. It would force teams to learn new strategies and perhaps allow quality players better chance to flourish. I'm not sure how this would not be good for the game at he top level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Drumpot wrote: »
    The idea is to force change. The GAA have to make the changes so each county gives its own edited recordings forcing the powers to get involved.

A third ref would sort it out pretty quickly IMO. It would force teams to learn new strategies and perhaps allow quality players better chance to flourish. I'm not sure how this would not be good for the game at he top level.

I agree with you fully, especially with the third ref.

I suppose the point I was making that to highlight the attention one of your player gets, may also highlight the attention one of your other players gives out.

That whilst undoubtedly Connolly gets attention, its not like the Dublin backs wouldnt do the same thing if he was their opponent, in fairness, much like what happens Connolly in the Dublin club championship.

bruschi wrote: »
    I agree with you fully, especially with the third ref.

I suppose the point I was making that to highlight the attention one of your player gets, may also highlight the attention one of your other players gives out.

That whilst undoubtedly Connolly gets attention, its not like the Dublin backs wouldnt do the same thing if he was their opponent, in fairness, much like what happens Connolly in the Dublin club championship.

I agree.

No team or player should be expected to be morally perfect and adhere to some sort of gentleman's agreement. Its up to the governing body to address the problem.

In many regards, Armagh and Tyrone brought in a different kind of physicality in the early 00s that Kerry and Dublin had to address. I know some people enjoy "puke" football, but I don't find it entertaining. Dublin v Donegal semi final being a game I still struggled to get over. Ironically, that borefest stood to Dublin in the final, but it was torture.

If they want the game to flourish, then it is common sense to try and assist the most talented players in harnessing their talent. Of course it can be entertaining watching talented players really have it put up to them. I would prefer to see a better quality defender up against them, as opposed to somebody who excels at mouthing and fouling off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

One of the consequences in all team sports - gaelic football, basketball, NFL, rugby, hurling now -is that the huge improvement in conditioning of players means that inevitably the games become more attritional and perhaps not as attractive to watch as emphasis is on stopping the opposition.

A Larry Bird or even Jordan would probably not survive in modern NBA if they were as they were then. Same applies to past gaelic footballers. Such is the way of things.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    One of the consequences in all team sports - gaelic football, basketball, NFL, rugby, hurling now -is that the huge improvement in conditioning of players means that inevitably the games become more attritional and perhaps not as attractive to watch as emphasis is on stopping the opposition.

A Larry Bird or even Jordan would probably not survive in modern NBA if they were as they were then. Same applies to past gaelic footballers. Such is the way of things.

Yeh, there are more athletes succeeding in sports then ever. It would be ideal having a mix where lower ability can be compensated with work ethic (or fitness) but not at the expense of technically superior players.

I also wonder how the punishing training will effect players later on in life..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Been a busy boy myself today, but I'm surprised we haven't had anything on the proposed changes to the Dublin Championships from next year. I think with the renewed focus on developing the club player it certainly has its merits compared to what we currently have.

Once you see "group stages" mentioned in relation to a championship, you know you are on a loser. Straight knock out works for me. They should however confine it to 16. Current SFC structure is humiliating for weaker teams, but they all seem to think there is some magical formula that will avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

I'm in favour of group stages. There will be the odd dead rubber, but at least lads get a second bite at the cherry in a group stage. Splitting the SFC into two also makes sense, but there will be a lot of fireworks from teams at the midpoint of the rankings who want to stay in SFC1.

Big clubs like Whitehall, Cuala and Thomas Davis could find themselves on the wrong side of that divide. They mention making allowances for teams that have come into the SFC in the last five years. Olafs have been there for 4 years and haven't won a 1st round tie. Assuming the calculation is someway sensible (i.e. on games won), my own Castleknock should be OK. Fingallians will have to get some dispensation. They had three (or was it four) intermediate finals, and have only had one SFC game. Similarily, this years IFC winners may deserve consideration.

Splitting away the B & C teams from the 1 team clubs probably makes sense, but could turn some of the all county (B team) championships into dull old fare.

In short, group stages good, 16 team SFC good, everything else, god knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was thinking to myself jaysus there must be a real lack of interest in this Westmeath game there has not been a notification thing about the thread for a while.....

:o

Any I will be honest I am not going to this game couldn't be @rsed with it.

First time I can remember not going to a dubs game in Croke Park by choice, no plans nothing in the way etc.

I will watch it on telly instead.

I think other regulars should follow suit as well and let attendances take a real hit and make them hurry up on a revamped championship.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I just noticed the name of this thread thought it was about bringing back the birch, or the unfairness of Connolly treatment.

Then I copped it.

I think it is the humidity getting to me!

• Advertisement

Joanne Cantwell and a birch....

I really need to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I’m off to Glastonbury myself. So I’ve spent the last couple of weeks dossing in work… which has culminated in me needing to catch up on so much stuff… but… I’ve ended up dossing in work. FFS.

We should get through this. And as such I’m really looking forward to the Leinster Final for the first time in yonks. I had planned to head up to Clones. But that’s being knocked on the head by a few things including a 40th on the Saturday. Ah well.

Even though we are half namesakes, I really don't know what to say.....

Dubs are playing and you are off to see the Beatles or Abba or whoever.

Duty calls. I was just delighted the ST print outs landed today for the brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

I was thinking to myself jaysus there must be a real lack of interest in this Westmeath game there has not been a notification thing about the thread for a while.....

:o

Any I will be honest I am not going to this game couldn't be @rsed with it.

First time I can remember not going to a dubs game in Croke Park by choice, no plans nothing in the way etc.

I will watch it on telly instead.

I think other regulars should follow suit as well and let attendances take a real hit and make them hurry up on a revamped championship.

Not a chance, dying to get back to Croker. I'd be going if they were playing one of the real weaker counties in the province like Wicklow or Meath

Oooh.

Wait until Sonny sees that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I’m off to Glastonbury myself. So I’ve spent the last couple of weeks dossing in work… which has culminated in me needing to catch up on so much stuff… but… I’ve ended up dossing in work. FFS.

We should get through this. And as such I’m really looking forward to the Leinster Final for the first time in yonks. I had planned to head up to Clones. But that’s being knocked on the head by a few things including a 40th on the Saturday. Ah well.

You jammy tart, hope you have a great time. Whatever you do make sure you get to Radiohead. Seen them last night and they were unreal.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    You jammy tart, hope you have a great time. Whatever you do make sure you get to Radiohead. Seen them last night and they were unreal.

Oh don't you worry. I'll be there.

I was meant to go last night but the ex got the tickets in the break up. AH WELL!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Oh don't you worry. I'll be there.

I was meant to go last night but the ex got the tickets in the break up. AH WELL!

Oh that's just wrong :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Glastonbury?

Isn't it well for you !

Who is playing this year?

Anyone daycint?

Maybe you could pop into the new thread on not being able to bring bags into Croker & give people some tips on roughing it, sensible man purse packing & the kinds of things that you can shove up/into/around various bodily orifices, to get around the new rules at HQ?

#Don'tLetTheTerroristsWin

• Advertisement

EICVD wrote: »
    Not a chance, dying to get back to Croker. I'd be going if they were playing one of the real weaker counties in the province like Wicklow or Meath

I almost feel sorry for that former GAA royalty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I almost feel sorry for that former GAA royalty.

I do, actually, and not just because my wife is from there.

There's no craic in Leinster without them, at least from a Dublin perspective. Used to be even if we beat them well, there'd be a bit of fight on the field, but nowadays they're so short of everything that it's another no contest.

I'm interested to see how we perform this weekend. Westmeath don't have the players or skill level that we do, but we haven't been playing anywhere near the level I'd expect. I think they'd be happy with closing the gap on us from the last two years, from the way we've struggled to break down defenses, I think that's probably achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm expecting a valuable game on Sunday.

I see some of the players, mainly the forwards are getting on

McManaman
    Brogan
    Flynn
    DC
    Andrews
    O'Gara sr

However I'm expecting B Brogan to step up.

I think the blooding of new players has been very good.

In the forward line there is

Rock
    Kilkenny
    Costello
    Mannion
    McCarthy

At a good age.
    Throw in wave two of Scully (bit early yet I think ) McHugh, O'Callaghan, O'Gara jr

I think is will be difficult to pick a starting 6 but the players are there in three clear categories all from U21 winning teams

At midfield Fenton is starting I guess, I think he be joined next year by a couple from this year's U21 team, I think the others will be bypassed at this stage
    Bastic must be on his last run, and MDMA is still motoring and a very valuable player, hopefully he's ok recent news is promising.

Half back line
    I'd be slightly concerned with the half back from the current U21 crop

McCarthy is moving well
    O'Sullivan might be getting on
    But J Small, McCaffery, Lowdnes are all young and still improving they've all had big game exposure.

At the back
    McMahon and Fitzsimmons would be the senior guys, Cooper is a good age as is D Byrne but Byrne needs to get his Mojo back.

We have Potential cover for Cluxton now I think.

Overall I think there is decent layering of players there with enough guys who have delivered on all fronts at the right age, with the exception of the fullback line.

This is a game that the Dubs could lose and might not do them any harm. However it would be best to follow the main route.

There are lads I've left out like Clayton, Basquel, Reddin who are all very capable possibly P Small too. I think Boden winning the club championship was a huge plus for Dublin football it seems to be a good character building experience.

BTW I Know i must have left out others and I've named guys who are not on the panel, but I think the players are there. Hopefully the performance will be too.

I hope that McCarthy and Kilkenny stay out of trouble and fit, they are the leaders of this team now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Will O'Carroll ever be back lads?

Any murmurings at all from anyone his way...

If we lose this, are we into 3 rounds of the qualifiers, or just two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If we lose this, are we into 3 rounds of the qualifiers, or just two?

round 2. Round 3 is just round 2 winners playing off against each other and round 4 is the provincial losers.

So how come Mayo had 3 rounds of the qualifiers last year, when they lost in the Connaught semi final to Galway? Is it because there is an uneven number of counties in the provinces?

Edit: I think they had 3 games. Fermanagh, Kildare...and am I missing one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    So how come Mayo had 3 rounds of the qualifiers last year, when they lost in the Connaught semi final to Galway? Is it because there is an uneven number of counties in the provinces?

Edit: I think they had 3 games. Fermanagh, Kildare...and am I missing one?

They came in round 2, played Fermanagh, Kildare, Westmeath in the qualifiers. They then played Tyrone as Ulster champions in the quarters then Tipp and Dublin.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Couldn't remember the 3rd county they played.

• Advertisement

Here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go.....

DDE_PTcWsAAuBQy.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement