Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

As a Galway fan I'll just chip in my thoughts on yesterdays match which I enjoyed a hell of lot more than I expected to.

-Kilkenny is class. He has that bit of nastiness to him that boils your urine when a lad is playing against you but is great when he is on your team.

-O Garas a waste of time no matter how much talent he has. He came on yesterday looking to belt lads, not play football. The sort of nastiness you hate seeing full stop. He'll wind up seriously injuring someone.

-I'm not sure how Gavin and Walsh managed to get both teams so wound up for the match. Maybe they just told their teams to imagine their opponents wearing Mayo jerseys. For two teams that haven't come into contact much there was a fair edge to proceedings. "I've never met you before but I'm already sick of the sight of you"

-I'd ignore the few gobdaws online on platforms like Twitter that are trying to hype up bitterness between Galway and Dublin because they were offended by Galway Bay FM treating Galway as the babyfaces.

-The league final will be a very different game but yesterday should have addded a fair bit of spice to things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

I haven't gotten a chance to watch Allianz League Sunday yet so I haven't seen the Moran incident except for the image on the previous page. If the referee handed out a card to Moran than that is the incident over and the CCCC can't do anything more about it - except apply any relevant suspension based on the card. Only when a referee does not deal with an incident can the CCCC take retrospective action. It's the same reason Adrian Tuohy has not been banned for his strike against Limerick because the referee showed him a yellow card for it.

If the referee showed Moran a red card for minor physical interference with a referee then it carries a minimum 12 week suspension - this is what Connolly's ban was for. If he was shown a black card for remonstrating in an aggressive manner with a referee then there will be no suspension unless this is his 3rd black card or two yellow cards this National League.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

grbear wrote: »
    As a Galway fan I'll just chip in my thoughts on yesterdays match which I enjoyed a hell of lot more than I expected to.

-Kilkenny is class. He has that bit of nastiness to him that boils your urine when a lad is playing against you but is great when he is on your team.

-O Garas a waste of time no matter how much talent he has. He came on yesterday looking to belt lads, not play football. The sort of nastiness you hate seeing full stop. He'll wind up seriously injuring someone.

-I'm not sure how Gavin and Walsh managed to get both teams so wound up for the match. Maybe they just told their teams to imagine their opponents wearing Mayo jerseys. For two teams that haven't come into contact much there was a fair edge to proceedings. "I've never met you before but I'm already sick of the sight of you"

-I'd ignore the few gobdaws online on platforms like Twitter that are trying to hype up bitterness between Galway and Dublin because they were offended by Galway Bay FM treating Galway as the babyfaces.

-The league final will be a very different game but yesterday should have addded a fair bit of spice to things.

Dublin are that wound for every game. It's why they have won as much as they have, especially during the League. (Sssshhh....we don't talk about the cryogenic lab over on the Long Mile Mile Road, where we manufacture our footballers. So mums the word there.)

If The Farney Army decide to bring that level of fire and brimstone next weekend, they'll be met with it in equal or greater measure. That is just how Jim Gavin's team rolls these days. Any drop in intensity, or any failure to match whatever level of intensity the opposition brings, then it's the curly finger from the sideline and/or losing the jersey the next day. You should try it some time. But judging by this game and the Mayo game, perhaps you already have? ;)

LOL at the Mayo jerseys bit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Here's a few photos of mine of the fighting towards the end of the game.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Here's a few photos of mine of the fighting towards the end of the game.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Like a bunch of kids really.

Just on your opening paragraph, technically, Dublin hadn't qualified for the final at that stage, they needed at least a point from the final two games (Galway Monaghan), or for Monaghan to drop points somewhere. Unlikely perhaps, but still, Dublin still did need something from the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

CatInABox wrote: »
    Like a bunch of kids really.

Just on your opening paragraph, technically, Dublin hadn't qualified for the final at that stage, they needed at least a point from the final two games (Galway Monaghan), or for Monaghan to drop points somewhere. Unlikely perhaps, but still, Dublin still did need something from the game.

Thanks, updated the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Hurlers refixed for Sunday as part of a double header

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Collie D wrote: »

Great. there goes any chance of keeping it decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Collie D wrote: »
    No news about what people with tickets for the hurling do or those with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They should split Dublin GAA alright...between the codes. Might give the hurlers some chance if Costello and the rest of the ****s in the county board aren't constantly shafting them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Kavrocks wrote: »
    No news about what people with tickets for the hurling do or those with both.

They have to give you your money back.
    I brought a ticket yesterday for the hurling like a g*bsite :o (assumed it was on sunny day etc did not check net for confirmation or anything just tore off got me lunch out)

Was only meself and some fella who turned out to be a local (who was originally from New Zealand) munching a pizza asking is the match on.
    Eventually got confirmation that the game was not on.

When back to the supervalu shop to get me refund.
    I was standing there for about 15 minutes it's not working says yer wan in the shop.
    You can only get a refund within 60 minutes of purchased.
    "But it was cancelled" says I
    She rings the manager after another 15 minutes I am told the refunds only work after 24 hours but I will definitely be able to get a refund....

tldr - you should get a refund for yer ticket if you have the receipt

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Great. there goes any chance of keeping it decent.

Yeah it will be sh*te Double header Tipp will hammer them there.
    Dublin v Monaghan = glorified challenge game

I am still having flashbacks of Breen's goal back in thurles where he ran nearly the whole length of the pitch with no Dublin challenge and buried a goal in back of the net.

They have to give you your money back.
    I brought a ticket yesterday for the hurling like a g*bsite :o (assumed it was on sunny day etc did not check net for confirmation or anything just tore off got me lunch out)

Was only meself and some fella who turned out to be a local (who was originally from New Zealand) munching a pizza asking is the match on.
    Eventually got confirmation that the game was not on.

When back to the supervalu shop to get me refund.
    I was standing there for about 15 minutes it's not working says yer wan in the shop.
    You can only get a refund within 60 minutes of purchased.
    "But it was cancelled" says I
    She rings the manager after another 15 minutes I am told the refunds only work after 24 hours but I will definitely be able to get a refund....

tldr - you should get a refund for yer ticket if you have the receipt

The refund process is beyond ridiculous

I went into the ticket office (the one across from Gills) on the day of the refixed Kerry game. The actual official GAA ticket shop, not some Supervalu/Centra vendor. The tickets to be refunded were bought at the office on Dorset St, also ran by the GAA. Same staff, same computers, same systems, the works. I know this, as I'd be in both fairly frequently. The Dorset St office is closed on match days, but as they are run by the same people, I thought I'd have no problem getting my refund.

More fool I !

The young wan at the ticket desk had no more idea of what to do about a refund, than I do about bringing peace to the Middle East. She called a supervisor, who then spun me a line that she was just match day staff, has no idea what goes on in the Dorset St office during the week and, therefore could not facilitate a refund. Said she'd get her manager to ring me during the week to assist me with getting a refund. Have I heard back from him? Have I fcuk !!!

Sorry - just needed to vent. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But what does that say other than Tipp are well ahead of Dublin at the moment? I know Dublin hurlers like playing in Parnell Park but if they're going to get back to a competitive level they have to be prepared to face the best teams on whatever ground the game is fixed for.

It would be like us Galway supporters complaining that if only the league final was in Pearse Stadium or some other provincial ground then maybe we wouldn't get a tonking. What would that prove? We'll take on Dublin in Croke Park and if we lose by 10 or 15 points then so be it, we'll know where we're at. If Dublin hurlers get whacked by Tipp in Croker there's no point in wishing for the relative comfort of Parnell Park, as they'll have to face these top teams in the championship anyway and those games will not be in Parnell.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    But what does that say other than Tipp are well ahead of Dublin at the moment? I know Dublin hurlers like playing in Parnell Park but if they're going to get back to a competitive level they have to be prepared to face the best teams on whatever ground the game is fixed for.

It would be like us Galway supporters complaining that if only the league final was in Pearse Stadium or some other provincial ground then maybe we wouldn't get a tonking. What would that prove? We'll take on Dublin in Croke Park and if we lose by 10 or 15 points then so be it, we'll know where we're at. If Dublin hurlers get whacked by Tipp in Croker there's no point in wishing for the relative comfort of Parnell Park, as they'll have to face these top teams in the championship anyway and those games will not be in Parnell.

At least playing the home games in Parnell Park will build up fellas confidence.
    Walloping's do fellas no good in the long run.
    Plus Croke Park will be soulless, and as good as empty.
    You will be able to hear the shouts of the players and the occasional seagull.

There will be 5/6,000 there for the hurling. Horrible atmosphere. Same crowd in Parnell is completely different scenario, and definitely helps the team to raise its game.

As for not facing championship opposition there, Dublin have two crucial matches in PP: first game against Cats, and then against Offaly. They need to win at least one of those to stay in the senior championship.

Getting a hiding on TV in front of a sparse crowd on Sunday morning in Croke Park does nothing to prepare for that.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    There will be 5/6,000 there for the hurling. Horrible atmosphere. Same crowd in Parnell is completely different scenario, and definitely helps the team to raise its game.

As for not facing championship opposition there, Dublin have two crucial matches in PP: first game against Cats, and then against Offaly. They need to win at least one of those to stay in the senior championship.

Getting a hiding on TV in front of a sparse crowd on Sunday morning in Croke Park does nothing to prepare for that.

The Dublin County Board have only moved it to Croke Park to make it handy for themselves.

The reality is Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground.
    The whole Spring Series thing in Croke Park was designed to revolve around the Dublin footballers.
    With the hurlers as an occasional add on.

If the County Board were really serious about the Dublin hurlers progressing agianst Tipp, they would have kept the game in Parnell.
    As the dogs on the street know that Dublin have a better chance of winning a hurling match in Parnell.
    Also as a spectator it is much better viewing experience for a hurling match in Parnell Park as opposed to Croke Park I think.

I can't fathom Why would a county put thier own team at a disadvantage??
    It's madness. :mad:

Jayus in other sports the Home team water pitches, narrow pitches, move the advertising hoarding's in to give thier team a chance.

What do the Dublin County board do move it to Croke Park!
    Thus giving Tipp a better chance! :confused:

On the Sunday Game (Much to Michael Duignan's surprise) Anthony Daly gave Dublin a chance of beating Tipp in Parnell Park!

So in a former manager's mind Parnell Park makes that much difference.

Anthony Daly always gives us a chance of beating anyone, anywhere. If we were going up against Kilkenny in their pomp in 2008, he'd still say we had a good chance. I don't know if he is just being a decent skin, or he finds it hard to put the boot in and admit how bloody useles we are, as he knows a lot of the players...but either way, I roll my eyes a lot when I hear him talk about us on the TSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Ah the puer yung wan :pac::D

• Advertisement

Eh, if she's a Dub, technically she's a "chungwan" no? :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I see that Na Fianna are hopping mad right now, if it goes ahead, the Metrolink project might kick them out of their home for 6 years.

Personally speaking, I'm all for getting the metro built, and the imposition placed upon people and business will be worth it in the long run. I hope that Na Fianna get a massive wad of cash to help soften the blow/grease the wheels.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I see that Na Fianna are hopping mad right now, if it goes ahead, the Metrolink project might kick them out of their home for 6 years.

Personally speaking, I'm all for getting the metro built, and the imposition placed upon people and business will be worth it in the long run. I hope that Na Fianna get a massive wad of cash to help soften the blow/grease the wheels.

The main issue is that in previous plans there was no station there, it was 500m away on open fields. So a random enough route change has led to that station massively inconveniencing a community when original plan had no effect at all.

They've made sh1te of the city for five years now, and only result is even worse traffic congestion! City is run by ..... I won't say in order to avoid another CCCC hearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A massive wad of cash is no guarantee that your club will flourish, just ask Nia Fiannas soccer neighbors ....or Parnells :D

I think there's some game at play here, the Mobhi road pitches must be the worst place for a govt to stick a station in this area

Is the actual station going there, or just the works for the boring tunnel? Will NaF not get their land back, when the work is done?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Is the actual station going there, or just the works for the boring tunnel?

There'll be a station there at the end, so Na Fianna will have a stop on their doorstop. It's also the site that the machines will be put in, so it's going to be a hole in the ground for the entire project.

From the map, it looks like the station will be slap bang right in the middle of the main pitch, but that's just the underground part of it. I'd assume that the entrances would be St Modbhi Road, with no impact on the pitch afterwards. At least, that's what I'd hope.

You can see the plan here. It's the Griffith Park stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

I have 4 tickets for Sunday available for free to a good home as long as they will definitely be used. Pm me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I have 4 tickets for Sunday available for free to a good home as long as they will definitely be used. Pm me if interested

Hi there,

I sent you a PM there now, I would love two of those tickets please if you still have them, 1 for me and 1 for my young lad. 100% we will be going the game.

Thanks a lot.,

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement