Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Eh....Monaghan says No? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    If a Cuala hurler gets his knickers in a twist that his own club man was denied the top job, (to the extent that it impacts his performance,) then he has no place on this panel.

In theory yes.
    But in practice the Dublin team badly, badly needs all the Cuala lads back.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Men footballers lose = Check.Hurlers lose = Check.Women footballers lose = Check.Sh!te day. There's a bottle of Jameson with my name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Men footballers lose = Check.Hurlers lose = Check.Women footballers lose = Check.Sh!te day. There's a bottle of Jameson with my name on it.

I have a bottle of Jameson with my name on it. Got it in the distillery as part of a prize. Just a light anecdote to get is over this.

It's like we're the new Carlow...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Dublin were lucky that Joe McQuillan played ten minutes of injury time against Galway last weekend to earn them a draw with Galway because after today's permutations would we have been looking at a Galway V Monaghan league final on the basis of Monaghan beating Dublin away in Croke Park?

Would Dublin have had the better scoring difference over Monaghan as Dublin and Monaghan would have finished level on points, or would Monaghan's victory away to Dublin have seen them leapfrog Dublin into the league final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You are assuming that Monaghan would have beaten Dublin if this was any more than a training session for many players who won't even be on championship panel.... right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭MFPM

Doltanian wrote: »
    Dublin were lucky that Joe McQuillan played ten minutes of injury time against Galway last weekend to earn them a draw with Galway because after today's permutations would we have been looking at a Galway V Monaghan league final on the basis of Monaghan beating Dublin away in Croke Park?

Would Dublin have had the better scoring difference over Monaghan as Dublin and Monaghan would have finished level on points, or would Monaghan's victory away to Dublin have seen them leapfrog Dublin into the league final?

In fairness if Dublin had lost last week, Gavin probably would have started a stronger team today and they would have played with more urgency than the training game pace of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭MFPM

I see Bret Hart asked about Connolly earlier - does anyone know what's going on? Gavin's explanations don't really add up - Connolly hardly needs a break given how little he played last year and thus far in the league. Last week he made reference to McManamon and Daly who were rested or had other commitments but both were back today and no sign of DC.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    You are assuming that Monaghan would have beaten Dublin if this was any more than a training session for many players who won't even be on championship panel.... right.

Let's be honest the Dublin players did not seem bothered and were caught by the late goal.
    It was only then they woke up a bit.

Monaghan were impressive though they should be the "New Mayo" for the next 15 years if they work hard enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭C__MC

More intensity in the underage half time games today. Monaghan deserved a bit of luck, beaten by a point 2015, 16 and could have beaten Dublin last year. I’m talking League here. Anyway all irrelevant as Dublin will probably be league champions this time next week. And you wouldn’t be shocked if Monaghan were beaten by Tyrone in Ulster. Dublin will probably still need the old heads to win Sam come September though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Never miss an opportunity to have a side swipe at Joe McQuillan.

It was Galway that equalised, not Dublin.

Dublin qualified before the game today. It was of no relevance.

There was only a point in it in the end which could have went eitherway.

If Philly McMahon hadnt got a second yellow, if advantage had been played when David Byrne was half way up the pitch only for Gough to bring it back. There the IFs you were looking for.

Eitherway, the result had no bearing on the standing and the Dubs are in yet another final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm totally at ease with the footballers result today. A dour affair and it was always going to be since last week in Galway. No real bite in the game. My oul lad is up the wall though. But he's a fair weather supporter that ran around the 15 acres playing soccer while I was freezing my 7 year old arse off in Erins Isle circa 1978.:D

As for the hurlers.....I'll give Gilroy a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Given that Dublin were ahead when McQuillan should have blown, I don't understand your post.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Given that Dublin were ahead when McQuillan should have blown, I don't understand your post.

I am merely wondering would Dublin still have qualified for the Final had they lost to Galway and again to Monaghan today? Joe McQuillan was reffing against Galway and David Gough against Monaghan today, who is likely to ref the Final next Sunday?

It should be a neutral referee from either Munster or Ulster and the referee should not be living or working in either Galway or Dublin to ensure impartiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I think it's easy to say that Dublin looked at that match as a training game and played it in 2nd gear.

Having watched it, it certainly didn't look like we played it in 2nd gear, and fair play to Monaghan, they'll probably get zero credit for beating us because of the above, but they had nothing to play for either, and I thought they deserved it.

Still a lot to work on and some lads to come back, but I thought we lacked some cutting edge up front. Not enough scores from play from our forwards.
    Howard kicked a couple today and I'd like to see a bit more of that from him going forward.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I am merely wondering would Dublin still have qualified for the Final had they lost to Galway and again to Monaghan today?

It's settled on head to head record, so Monaghan would have gone through in that case.

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's settled on head to head record, so Monaghan would have gone through in that case.

Cheers, I wonder will the DIV2 final Between Ros and Cavan serve as a curtain raiser next weekend?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A bad day at the office for Dublin GAA today, but not the end of the world.

I didn't expect much going into the hurling match, as I don't really expect to see any improvement under Gilroy until at least next year, so when they started on a flyer, my hopes soared, only to be brutally crushed by the reality of a much better opponent. Still, I think Gilroy is safe in the job for another year, even if they have another short year this season. If they had been relegated, then it might be a different story.

As for the football, a loss that was kinda predictable, I think it meant more for the Monaghan lads than it did for the Dublin lads, but I'm still disappointed.

Fair play to both Tipp and Monaghan, both deserved winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I am merely wondering would Dublin still have qualified for the Final had they lost to Galway and again to Monaghan today? Joe McQuillan was reffing against Galway and David Gough against Monaghan today, who is likely to ref the Final next Sunday?

It should be a neutral referee from either Munster or Ulster and the referee should not be living or working in either Galway or Dublin to ensure impartiality.

You can wonder all you like. Dublin qualified last week.

Do you ref yourself ? You seem to know an awful lot of the refs. The majority of your posts in the GAA forum centre around Joe McQuillan.

A neutral referee from Munster eh. Thank God Pat Spillane isnt a referee then.

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    I think it's easy to say that Dublin looked at that match as a training game and played it in 2nd gear.

Having watched it, it certainly didn't look like we played it in 2nd gear, and fair play to Monaghan, they'll probably get zero credit for beating us because of the above, but they had nothing to play for either, and I thought they deserved it.

I think Dublin did play in second gear they didn't have thier same level of movement that they normally have.
    But, Monaghan did play well in fairness to them.
    Their goals were finished well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Monaghan did play well in fairness to them. Their goals were finished well.

Great goals, and an eye-opener for the defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just to go back to the debate last week about the anti Dublin bias on TSG
    It must have been great to see Ciaran whelan back on tonight demanding that the cynical play from Mayo for the final kickout be stamped out immediately ......... ;)
    It’s a scourge on the game now apparently.
    Only now though .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McQuillan did Dublin no favours last weekend, in fact was dreadful for them while Gough today made some strange decisions annoying both sets of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

One for the ignore list!
    Best left unfed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I have to say, I'm enjoying this "losing" lark. (No wonder Mayo love doing it so much. :D)

We can just enjoy discussing the merits of the game, without the usual army of muppets coming out of the woodwork, to stir up $hit and/or have a good whinge about why we won. With one obvious exception of course. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

km79 wrote: »
    Just to go back to the debate last week about the anti Dublin bias on TSG
    It must have been great to see Ciaran whelan back on tonight demanding that the cynical play from Mayo for the final kickout be stamped out immediately ......... ;)
    It’s a scourge on the game now apparently.
    Only now though .
    Not before today

Well we don't know that do we because its the first time the lone Dublin voice on the programme has been given the platform.

We already know where the numerous Mayo voices on RTE stand on the issue.

Stoner wrote: »
    One for the ignore list!
    Best left unfed.

I really hope it's not me you are referring to Stoner (although obviously you won't see this if it is ).
    There was a lot of debate about the anti Dublin bias in TSG last week due to incidents in the Galway game and Mayo Tyrone game
    I pointed out last week that during the summer Design Cahill is the anchor and a "True Blue " and Ciaran Whelan is as blinkered as they come . Both had a lot to say about Lee Keegan for example with no balance on that particular panel. But that was fine........
    And here we are a week later and Ciaran Whelan highlighting cynicism from a late kickout and demanding it be stamped out..........
    You regularly visit the mayo forum and contribute to it .
    I had not done so here before last week I think and again this week on the same issue as I thought it was ridiculous to be quite honest
    So if your comment was aimed at me (and if it was you won't see this ) and are insinuating I'm a troll I'd ask that you read through my post history and you will find you are completely wrong

corny wrote: »
    Well we don't know that do we because its the first time the lone Dublin voice on the programme has been given the platform.

We already know where the numerous Mayo voices on RTE stand on the issue.

Are you serious ?
    As outlined above
    During the summer when it matters
    Des Cahill anchor
    Ciaran Whelan
    Mossy Quinn

I'm not sure who the numerous mayo voices are?
    Kevin mcstay maybe ? The current Roscommon manager ?
    Can't think of another who does analysis .........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

If Jayo was to get a ban for being a peacekeeper last week would he have got it by now? I’m assuming yes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement