Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not too sure about the expecting win comfortably part! Just the novelty alone will add to the crowd along with the draw in Salthill and the nature of the game itself. Galway have established themselves as serious contenders.

Apart from that, and not sure why exactly but it has always been a big tie historically even though they have rarely met in big games in a long time. I was at '76 semi final and '83 final, and without doubt possibly two rawest games I ever saw.

Salthill would suggest that that has not come out in the wash!

They have in their holes - if you will pardon my crassness. They haven't beat and/or run a top team close in Croke Park, in the summer, since Dev was in short trousers. Until they do that, they will remain an up and coming team, with decent Spring form. Nothing more. They can turn all the summersaults they want in the league. Until it translates to the summer, it means sweet eff all.

(Sorry, am cranky. Haven't had my 4pm bowl of life giving coddle yet.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Are they expecting much of a crowd on Sunday? I know the league is only of secondary importance to Dublin but I suppose there's a bit of novelty in playing Galway? The two teams haven't played each other much in the last decade, and not in a final of any sort since 83. The Rossies and Cavan should bring a fair bit of support aswell I'd imagine. 50K maybe?

I’d be shocked if there was 50k there on Sunday. I’d say 35 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Doltanian wrote: »
    A disgraceful decision the referee should be appointed from a Neutral province.

Dublin Vs Mayo, Feb 24th 2018, Round one of the NFL.
    Referee: Paddy Neilan of Roscommon.

Where was your outrage then?
    That's not even mentioning that one of the Mayo 15 was a full blooded Rossie himself.

So two things:
    1. Your indignation is polarised to say the least.
    2. Your inference that referees cannot be impartial is best described by wording that cannot (and should not) be used here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A disgraceful decision the referee should be appointed from a Neutral province.

Mod Warning

Doltanian please desist from your crusade insinuating referees officiating contests involving teams from their own province are'nt strictly impartial.Such opinion is without any foundation in fact.

Looking for 1 spare ticket for Sunday please if any ST can’t make the match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I wasn't aware of this but I am equally against it, that should have been a referee from Munster or Ulster for that game and it is every bit as wrong a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I shouldn't be telling you this, as do not want to be cause of your losing sleep!, but in 1958 final between Dublin and Derry the ref was Simon Deighnan who was then a member of the once mighty Erin's Isle of Finglas. He had won All Ireland(s) with Cavan.

He was totally impartial... well, he must have been, we won :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I shouldn't be telling you this, as do not want to be cause of your losing sleep!, but in 1958 final between Dublin and Derry the ref was Simon Deighnan who was then a member of the once mighty Erin's Isle of Finglas. He had won All Ireland(s) with Cavan.

He was totally impartial... well, he must have been, we won :-)

That's a disgrace. We should be stripped of that. Can we get all the medals back?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Grand, but did you complain when Dublin and Mayo had the Roscommon referee like you were asked above?

I wasn't aware of this but I am equally against it, that should have been a referee from Munster or Ulster for that game and it is every bit as wrong a decision.

Grand so. We eagerly await your trolling eagle eyed attention to referee appointments, in every other county thread, for every eh...well...every single GAA game, right up until the day you die then so. It'll get pretty boring after a while & your social & family life will suffer. Perhaps you may even lose your job over it, as it will take up so much of your time. But that's going to be a small price to pay for someone as interested in truth & justice as your good self. Right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Grand so. We eagerly await your trolling eagle eyed attention to referee appointments, in every other county thread, for every eh...well...every single GAA game, right up until the day you die then so. It'll get pretty boring after a while & your social & family life will suffer. Perhaps you may even lose your job over it, as it will take up so much of your time. But that's going to be a small price to pay for someone as interested in truth & justice as your good self. Right?

I dunno. I would reckon he'll be to busy waging war against FG and the Referendum on May 25th to be paying too much attention to the early rounds of the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Not too sure about the expecting win comfortably part! Just the novelty alone will add to the crowd along with the draw in Salthill and the nature of the game itself. Galway have established themselves as serious contenders.

Apart from that, and not sure why exactly but it has always been a big tie historically even though they have rarely met in big games in a long time. I was at '76 semi final and '83 final, and without doubt possibly two rawest games I ever saw.

Salthill would suggest that that has not come out in the wash!

Yes it's odd in a way that the two teams went at each other with such gusto seen as these two teams hadn't met before, and historically Galway and Dublin have had strangely few clashes in big games given the tradition of both counties.

But as for Galway being serious contenders we're not there yet and Galway supporters are not overly fooled by a few good league performances. But you have to remember that we're coming to this from a low starting point, not too long ago we were losing to the likes of Antrim and Wexford in the qualifiers so to be heading into a league final against Dublin in Croke Park is huge progress. Whatever the result on Sunday we'll take that for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dermo going to the hurlers? Is it old news?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,763 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

PARlance wrote: »

That ship has sailed according to the man himself

http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/aaron-ward/diarmuid-connolly-opens-future-dublin-hurler/

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Your first clue is the date of the article - October 17, 2017. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Maybe it's sailed back by now :D

TBH if the niggle in football is too much for him then I'm not sure what having a half back tickling him with the timber for 35 minutes will do for him

Meanwhile in an undisclosed location, somewhere in Westport, a certain unnamed Mayo player is thinking to himself "Ah bollocks, does this mean I have to take up hurling now too?" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,763 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Meanwhile in an undisclosed location, somewhere in Westport, a certain unnamed Mayo player is thinking to himself "Ah bollocks, does this mean I have to take up hurling now too?" :p

If Seanie Johnston can do it....... :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ProudDUB wrote:
    Meanwhile in an undisclosed location, somewhere in Westport, a certain unnamed Mayo player is thinking to himself "Ah bollocks, does this mean I have to take up hurling now too?"

He actually played underage hurling for Mayo.

Good presentation of Na Fianna and others on Primetime against the underground to the airport.

Not only are communities going to be severely disrupted but it is likely to be another massive loss maker and ongoing disruption like the LUAS.

Some Scottish dude from chamber of Commerce said it is needed to cater for tourists - who can already get to city centre in 15 minutes - and 400,000 more immigrants! Priorities.

Maybe they'll find an island somewhere for the displaced people of Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Good presentation of Na Fianna and others on Primetime against the underground to the airport.

Not only are communities going to be severely disrupted but it is likely to be another massive loss maker and ongoing disruption like the LUAS.

Some Scottish dude from chamber of Commerce said it is needed to cater for tourists - who can already get to city centre in 15 minutes - and 400,000 more immigrants! Priorities.

Another 400,000 culchies?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Come off it. Talk about misinformed jibber.

How do you expect anything to get built without disruption? The benefits are undeniable. But of course the local vested interests will get their knives out now. We need this for the Dubs that live here now, you know the likes of the ones in Swords who struggle in traffic on the M50 or take nearly 90min to get to the city. You think that's acceptable?

Soon enough Na Fianna will be the Thomas Davis of the Northside. If they derail this project over some poxy pitches... You'd swear they don't play games anywhere else!

It's almost like they don't know what a public consultation period is either! Hopefully they're just being the squeaky wheel and looking for some oil.

There's a whole thread worth of discussion in the commuter and trantport thread.

Probably best place for it then again... Nothing to chat about in here if Doltanian has legged it.

---

Also, where is this 15min journey to the city from? What mode of transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The swords express gets you from swords to the city in about 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

How do you expect anything to get built without disruption? The benefits are undeniable. But of course the local vested interests will get their knives out now. We need this for the Dubs that live here now, you know the likes of the ones in Swords who struggle in traffic on the M50 or take nearly 90min to get to the city. You think that's acceptable?

Exactly. The city is always changing, these things improve it.

All we need is to link it to a tunnel to castlebar.

It would save Mayo GAA a fortune on expenses.
    Allow AOS better access to Dublin birds
    The kids could visits their grandparents
    Solve the Dublin housing crisis with 250K Mayo people commuting every day.
    Start a housing crisis in Mayo.
    Empty the city faster 3 weekends every summer,
    Keep cowboy hats underground
    Give us a handy trip twice every two years in the league
    It would join Mayo to mainland Ireland
    Yop could get to visit the Virgin Megastore
    PARlance could join a chess club

There's always a bigger picture.

I met another squad member yesterday, another sound man, it amazes me how young and healthy they all look whem you meet them, they all look about 12.

We would be happy with a bypass of Roscommon, the entire county.

15 mins from Airport to City Centre.... that had me laughing. I've been on Mobhi Rd for 15 mins alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

We would be happy with a bypass of Roscommon, the entire county.

15 mins from Airport to City Centre.... that had me laughing. I've been on Mobhi Rd for 15 mins alone.

But it does on Public Transport through the Port Tunnel

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Meh, that primetime was a joke. Metro will serve the communities along the line, with benefits for all the people of Ireland.

On day one of Metrolink being open, more people will walk in through the doors of the Griffith park stop then will use the Na Fianna services in a week. The amount of cars taken off the road around the stop will mean less pollution, less risk of being run over, better bus services.

That's before you even start talking about the Dart expansion, and the tie in with the Metro at Whitworth Rd.

The Swords Express doesn't help if you want to go to some place on the way into town, like the Airport, or Ikea, etc. It also doesn't have enough capacity to serve the growing population of Swords, Irelands fastest growing town.

This is all so frustrating.

Kick up a massive fuss, get best possible deal. I'm sure there are a lot who are genuinely annoyed but money... money.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    But it does on Public Transport through the Port Tunnel

At 7:30 am on a Monday morning it takes a hell of a lot longer to go from Swords Manor to Eden Quay. Be nearer an hour and 10 mins.

Off peak to get from the Manor to Holywell takes a good 30 mins. ( both in Swords)

• Advertisement

LUAS has doubled some bus journeys across city and now the people who run DCC are going to close off College Green. Oblivious its seems to the huge number of people who have to cross town for work, college and other reasons.

Seán Barrett outlined exactly the massive overspend and lack of efficiency of the white elephant projects to date and compared them to the existing bus services.

PARlance actually hits one of the nails on the head, which is the huge waste of money on capital projects in Dublin which will turn city into a monstrosity of high density accommodation with lack of green spaces, not to mention schools. Why don't they spend some of that money redressing the regional imbalances?

That would encourage employment and population growth outside of the Dublin region. It is no coincidence that the big projects are being cheer led by property speculators and low wage employers.

If that is the "vision" people have of Dublin, then look forward to it becoming like huge parts of Paris which have turned a once great city into a horrible dive outside of the tourist parts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement