Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I don't know but it's a great trophy to win. All the best teams and on top you come.

Mayo v this Galway team in the first round is going to be fascinating.

Anyhow, very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

km79 wrote: »
    Well done ye are feckin hard beat!
    But at least ye tried to play football and created a few goal chances
    Kilkenny is some man to keep hold of the ball
    I’ve seen it up close the last 2 AI finals too :(

Pretty harsh on Galway to put it mildly km79.:)

I thought it was a very enjoyable contest,Dublin played the better football in the second half and had that bit more know how down the stretch.

Comer is a beast of a player to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The bitterness on twitter over the ref is pretty enjoyable to read

Winners don't remember bad decisions..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

when is match up on TG4 player?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Jesus that Galway set up is hard to watch. A team of young lads, with a lot of potential tbf, playing with 15 men behind the ball doesnt say a lot about the future of the game.
    And dont get me started on the diving and how easy they go to ground, like watching 15 Eden Hazards, is that how young lads are being coached now :(
    Can only assume the ref had a few bob on Galway to win, hopefully we never see him again. Neither of Scully's cards were warranted in my opinion. Comer just hits the deck and the ref couldnt wait to blow. I think we got two soft free's, on Rock and cant remember the other.

A decent performance from all when we went down to 14 men, our game management is astounding, cool and calm. There's always another gear there when required isnt there? Howard and Fenton both immense, would still love too see more scores from Howard but he's a very smart runner and nearly always plays the right ball. Fenton, no words. Best player in the Country by a long way.
    Rock played well and should have had a goal, Mannion was very good and gain should have scored a goal. We leave a lot behind at times, how many wides today actually? Colm Basquel has surely cemented his place in the starting 15 after that cameo, himself and Con are going to be a serious duo this summer, plenty of pace and skill there.

Anyway, was a tough aul game, not easy on the eye, yet another trophy in the cupboard and that game will stand to us as i've a feeling we'll meet Galway in the summer. We're going into the Championship in better form than last year thats for sure.

ÁTH CLIATH ABÚ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Slattsy wrote: »
    Jesus that Galway set up is hard to watch. A team of young lads, with a lot of potential tbf, playing with 15 men behind the ball doesnt say a lot about the future of the game.
    And dont get me started on the diving and how easy they go to ground, like watching 15 Eden Hazards, is that how young lads are being coached now :(
    Can only assume the ref had a few bob on Galway to win, hopefully we never see him again. Neither of Scully's cards were warranted in my opinion. Comer just hits the deck and the ref couldnt wait to blow. I think we got two soft free's, on Rock and cant remember the other.

A decent performance from all when we went down to 14 men, our game management is astounding, cool and calm. There's always another gear there when required isnt there? Howard and Fenton both immense, would still love too see more scores from Howard but he's a very smart runner and nearly always plays the right ball. Fenton, no words. Best player in the Country by a long way.
    Rock played well and should have had a goal, Mannion was very good and gain should have scored a goal. We leave a lot behind at times, how many wides today actually? Colm Basquel has surely cemented his place in the starting 15 after that cameo, himself and Con are going to be a serious duo this summer, plenty of pace and skill there.

Anyway, was a tough aul game, not easy on the eye, yet another trophy in the cupboard and that game will stand to us as i've a feeling we'll meet Galway in the summer. We're going into the Championship in better form than last year thats for sure.

ÁTH CLIATH ABÚ

Would have to watch back but in real time scullys second yellow looked like a high tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ÁTH CLIATH ABÚ

Ah, I don't know. I think that teams with better players than Galway have come up against us and been destroyed by the second half, so I can respect a team that picks the defensive set up and plays it well. I don't like it, but it works to a certain degree.

Agree on the performance when we were down a man, there's not much benefit to having an extra man on the field when all the Dublin players moved into a gear higher than the Galway players were capable of. Not sustainable for an entire game, but it was enough to see out the rest of the game.

All in all, delighted with the day, a tough game like that will set us up nicely for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sullys second was a yellow, soft enough

Ref allowed some high and late tackles by Galway to go unbooked though

Was there eye gouging? Can only imagine the uproar if it appeared a Dub was involved, but no doubt swept under the carpet :)

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ah, I don't know. I think that teams with better players than Galway have come up against us and been destroyed by the second half, so I can respect a team that picks the defensive set up and plays it well. I don't like it, but it works to a certain degree.

Agree on the performance when we were down a man, there's not much benefit to having an extra man on the field when all the Dublin players moved into a gear higher than the Galway players were capable of. Not sustainable for an entire game, but it was enough to see out the rest of the game.

All in all, delighted with the day, a tough game like that will set us up nicely for the year.

I suppose better to lose by 4 than 10 or 15, and i get that angle. But you still lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Well done ye are feckin hard beat!
    But at least ye tried to play football and created a few goal chances
    Kilkenny is some man to keep hold of the ball
    I’ve seen it up close the last 2 AI finals too :(

The bitterness is strong from the usual sammy dodger supporters.and not a week ago the same sammy dodgers were celebrating a draw with donegal like an All Ireland win not that ye would know what celebrating an All Ireland win would be like.and that evening commenting on how the mayo page was quiet on account of people scared of the mighty mayo.classic mayo supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bambi wrote: »

The problem with the refereeing is the inconsistency.

Dublin could have no arguments with Scully's two yellows if it had finished 10 Galwaymen against 12 Dubliners with a few blacks on either side as well.

So technically the referee may have been correct, but it was probably the least bad high tackle in the game, of which I can remember six or seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I suppose better to lose by 4 than 10 or 15, and i get that angle. But you still lose.

Ah I think that's a little harsh Slatts, I never got the impression from either game against them that they were set up for damage limitation. The whole mass defence is found wanting when theres no attacking outlet (eg Carlow last year) - but they had enough about them to suggest that there's plenty of scoring threat against lesser teams

• Registered Users Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think philly was lucky not to get a black when the ref gave him a yellow instead?

Swings and roundabouts.

I can't get my ahead around that it is not Tyrone, Kerry, or Mayo that will put it up to Dublin in the years to come.. it looks like galway are the team to watch.
    Plus they have have Corofin lads to come back too!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

It's not the number really, it's what they're going to learn from it. Their system got them to within 4 points of the form team, so a bit more fitness and a bit more experience, they might feel that they could close that gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

And against 16 too :eek:

You hallucinating or something, dude? The ref gave almost every soft decision to the Dubs. Galway have a style this year that is completely different than their traditional game, which was the easiest game on the eye of any county, but wasn’t working for them. Can see both counties meeting again in late summer to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

ÁTH CLIATH ABÚ

Enjoyed the game very much, but Galway ran out of steam in the last ten minutes, resorting to persistent fouling to keep the score down.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us start the Leinster championship with the following front 8:

Fenton, Howard
    Scully, O'Callaghan, Kilkenny
    Mannion, Rock, Basquel

Quite a changing of the old guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

The bitterness is strong from the usual sammy dodger supporters.and not a week ago the same sammy dodgers were celebrating a draw with donegal like an All Ireland win not that ye would know what celebrating an All Ireland win would be like.and that evening commenting on how the mayo page was quiet on account of people scared of the mighty mayo.classic mayo supporters

Walsh was good second half wasn’t he ? Good job you are not the manager or you have taken him off at half time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You hallucinating or something, dude? The ref gave almost every soft decision to the Dubs. Galway have a style this year that is completely different than their traditional game, which was the easiest game on the eye of any county, but wasn’t working for them. Can see both counties meeting again in late summer to be honest.

The correct way to address a Dub is, 'Bud'.

• Advertisement

In fairness the ref did send a dublin man off....

Anyway I was damn impressed with Galway.
    I have not been this impressed with a Galway team since theylost to Kerry in the lashing rain back in 08 was it (The M Meehan show)
    A very different style ten years ago!

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Ah I think that's a little harsh Slatts, I never got the impression from either game against them that they were set up for damage limitation. The whole mass defence is found wanting when theres no attacking outlet (eg Carlow last year) - but they had enough about them to suggest that there's plenty of scoring threat against lesser teams

Ah i dunno, i think in soccer you can get away with that, sit back, play on the counter, try not concede, and try sneak a goal.

In GAA, its a very hard thing to do, only Donegal have ever managed it, and i'd say they caught us on the hop in that game and we're a better, less naive team now for it.

The biggest threat from Galway came from their wing backs, and not the forwards, and i thought it was very one dimensional. They def have something about them, we've seen that in both game, but all in all, with our wide count today, down to 14 men, losing McCarthy, and missing 2 clear cut goal chances, it could have been a double digit loss.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the game very much, but Galway ran out of steam in the last ten minutes, resorting to persistent fouling to keep the score down.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us start the Leinster championship with the following front 8:

Fenton, Howard
    Scully, O'Callaghan, Kilkenny
    Mannion, Rock, Basquel

Quite a changing of the old guard.

That is sexy! :D

(hard to keep McCauley out though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Smashing game overall. Galway scored some lovely points, but similar to Tyrone, even with the extra man they seemed caught in the highlights and didn't know how to kick on once they were behind.
    Was always going to be a Dublin win the more the game progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Walsh was good second half wasn’t he ? Good job you are not the manager or you have taken him off at half time ;)

Wasn’t that good.kicked 2 points and one of them from a free.very little running off the ball and several basic errors.doesnt look match fit to me as I have also commented.and if I was manager he would have been gone before half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Just wondering If anyone knows the situation on who we have to come back for the start of the All Ireland?

Is Bernard the only long term injury?

I haven't heard any updates on Jack and I'm guessing Cian might possibly be back for the later stages?

There where a few more injured today but haven't heard anything on how serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

This is a young Galway team, with Corofin players yet to add to it. They may not win the all Ireland this year or next but will be in contention in a few years. The Sammy dogers next door are terrified Galway will do what they have failed to do. Today was a lesson learned on that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

In fairness the ref did send a dublin man off....

Anyway I was damn impressed with Galway.
    I have not been this impressed with a Galway team since theylost to Kerry in the lashing rain back in 08 was it (The M Meehan show)
    A very different style ten years ago!

Impressed somewhat with Galway today but I feel there's more football in them. The pulling and dragging that they were at is below them, more for a poor team like Kerry. No need to lower themselves.

At this showing and a couple of weeks back Connacht's theirs to lose.

Also, isn't that 08 game over-romanticised at this stage? Was it "that" good really?

The Tyrone performance after it deserves more praise.

• Advertisement

Impressed somewhat with Galway today but I feel there's more football in them. The pulling and dragging that they were at is below them, more for a poor team like Kerry. No need to lower themselves.

At this showing and a couple of weeks back Connacht's theirs to lose.

Also, isn't that 08 game over-romanticised at this stage? Was it "that" good really?

The Tyrone performance after it deserves more praise.

more for a poor team like Kerry dead right :D

I was at the 08 game it was an exceptional game in the normal scheme of things.
    But when the torrential rain is taken into consideration it was phenomenal.
    The players seemed obvious to the weather

I have a match programme from the day still that barely survived the weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement