Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Glad to hear Brolly has picked up something I tend to bang on about; we leave a lot of goals behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Slattsy wrote: »
    Was there eye gouging? Can only imagine the uproar if it appeared a Dub was involved, but no doubt swept under the carpet :)

There was 100% a rake to the eyes by a Galway player on MDMA. It was in the incident were he got booked himself.
    I presume this was indeed swept under the carpet, similar to Moran barging the ref.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Patww79 wrote: »
    When you look at some of the goals in the Division 2 game too, they're always better just dropped onto the foot and rolled in. Both Dublin's chances today were begging for that kind of finish.

Yup just need some finesse, instead went for laces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

JRant wrote:
    I presume this was indeed swept under the carpet, similar to Moran barging the ref.

Shut up !!!!!!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

having seen scullys second yellow on tv, I've changed my mind and think it was harsh. It did look bad in realtime though so while I think the ref got it wrong, I can understand why he gave the yellow. In realtime, looked a clear yellow to me

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Christ ye Dubs are some moaners! Nearly as bad as the Sammy dodgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

got away with murder
    as per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Patww79 wrote: »

Disappointed with Galway support tbh. Thought the novelty of being in a D1 final would've attracted more support. I guess Leinster match affected the Dublin support?
    Cavan and Roscommon didn't bring big numbers, maybe because they have been there already in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Leinster and Dubs have minimal crossover! Hill was 3/4 full. More to do with Easter and traffic being disrupted over competing Easter commemorations.

But poor crowd nonetheless for one of most interesting games of recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Leinster and Dubs have minimal crossover! Hill was 3/4 full. More to do with Easter and traffic being disrupted over competing Easter commemorations.

But poor crowd nonetheless for one of most interesting games of recent times.

I thought both were memorable games in years to come people will be claiming they were at it like the GPO in Easter 1916!

I don't think I have ever seen a football game where there was 8 goals for a start!

Great value entertainment as well.
    One thing the gaa do well is the ticket prices which annoys me around all-ireland final time, because suddenly 'fans' are giving out out the price of a ticket.
    When I can hazard a fair guess that those sort would not have been to a league game all year!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Nearly as bad as the Sammy dodgers

Is this a pop at Galway or a general pop at teams who haven't won the AI in a while? I've seen it mentioned 3 times in the last two pages - it's sad. It comes across as extremely childish. There are 32 teams bursting their bollix every year to play football - Dublin are clearly number 1 in the country at the moment but lording it over everyone else with these types of comments is extremely ignorant. You have a special team in place at the moment, they will be spoken about for generations and are fantastic to watch. Well deserved the win today. But this sort of comment/attitude from fans is extremely arrogant not at all reflective of the players, team or sport you are supporting.

You would wonder indeed where all the rest of the Hill were today, ones who will be crying over tickets come Summer, and no club game excuses either!

Was in posh end myself today - they let me in once a year :-) - and good crack. Galway supporters, hurling or big ball, don't give a somersaulting fart about reputations, and while I harbour an irrational dislike dating back to 70s, I admire them in same way I do Meath.

For whatever reason, Dub/Galway games bring a bit of edge. Be some crack if this is August!

As you say, those not there missed a good day's football.

Is this a pop at Galway or a general pop at teams who haven't won the AI in a while? I've seen it mentioned 3 times in the last two pages - it's sad. It comes across as extremely childish. There are 32 teams bursting their bollix every year to play football - Dublin are clearly number 1 in the country at the moment but lording it over everyone else with these types of comments is extremely ignorant. You have a special team in place at the moment, they will be spoken about for generations and are fantastic to watch. Well deserved the win today. But this sort of comment/attitude from fans is extremely arrogant not at all reflective of the players, team or sport you are supporting.

He is not a Dub! And suspect he has been shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

having seen scullys second yellow on tv, I've changed my mind and think it was harsh. It did look bad in realtime though so while I think the ref got it wrong, I can understand why he gave the yellow. In realtime, looked a clear yellow to me

Think the Galway lad played the ref a bit for it hitting the floor like that

Can see why it was given

naughtb4 wrote:
    Think the Galway lad played the ref a bit for it hitting the floor like that

Agreed the second Yellow for Scully looked ok from where I was. It was the first one, the lazy double yellow that I'd like to see again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

It seems as if it's someone from Galway having a pop at Mayo.

Stoner wrote: »
    Agreed the second Yellow for Scully looked ok from where I was. It was the first one, the lazy double yellow that I'd like to see again

He was dragged to the ground for the first one, did very little wrong, yet both players got carded.

When you watch the replay of his second, the initial contact is on the chest, but major theatrics from the Galway lad gets him off. But hey, it worked didn't it.

Scully is a very important for us, very underrated. Apparently he's on 4 meals a day in an attempt to put a bit of meat on his bones. I always found 10 pints of stout and a Chinese works best.

Slattsy wrote:
    Scully is a very important for us, very underrated. Apparently he's on 4 meals a day in an attempt to put a bit of meat on his bones. I always found 10 pints of stout and a Chinese works best.

He is alright. Himself and Howard are providing those kind of options that Flynn and Connelly use to for Cluxton.

I could see them both starting in the half forward line all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

What do people think of the price increase for the games yesterday? 30 quid for a stand ticket up from 15 (12 if bought in advance) I think its too much of a jump.

Don't get me wrong I still think it's great value but to go from charging 12 quid in to see games to 30 I think it's too much. Hill should of been 15 and stand 20 yesterday and they might have got a few more thousand at the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Joekers wrote: »
    What do people think of the price increase for the games yesterday? 30 quid for a stand ticket up from 15 (12 if bought in advance) I think its too much of a jump.

Don't get me wrong I still think it's great value but to go from charging 12 quid in to see games to 30 I think it's too much. Hill should of been 15 and stand 20 yesterday and they might have got a few more thousand at the game.
    Seriously? It was two national finals and one of them had 8 goals. Yesterday was excellent value at €10 (terrace) or €15 (stand) per game. Go across the water and you'd pay multiples of yesterday for an ordinary league game. The GAA is excellent value and the majority of ticket sales will go back into the counties that participated yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Seriously? It was two national finals and one of them had 8 goals. Yesterday was excellent value at €10 (terrace) or €15 (stand) per game. Go across the water and you'd pay multiples of yesterday for an ordinary league game. The GAA is excellent value and the majority of ticket sales will go back into the counties that participated yesterday.

Your missing my point completely here, I said it's great value and I will argue that point all day long when you look at the price they charge else where for soccer etc but when your charging 12 euro for games to then jump to 30 I think it's too much.

Last week there was 2 games I had great interest in and I paid 12 euro to watch them, this week there was only 1 game I had an interest in seeing and I was being charged 30. The price shouldn't have increased so much is my point.

I'm not sure on kids prices and increases there as there but for adults, say if I am going with me da and I'm paying for him it cost me 24 all year up to this and now I am being charged 60? Do you not think that's a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

League game admission price set by DCB, yesterdays pricing set by central council?

Joekers wrote:
    Your missing my point completely here, I said it's great value and I will argue that point all day long when you look at the price they charge else where for soccer etc but when your charging 12 euro for games to then jump to 30 I think it's too much.

Yeah I think it highlights how much value we receive for 10-15 euro more than anything else.
    Unfortunately that somehow lowers the amount we are prepared to pay later on. I'm lucky to have a season ticket and getting to a final is a bonus for me and more or less free!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Slattsy wrote: »
    Glad to hear Brolly has picked up something I tend to bang on about; we leave a lot of goals behind.

Yikes. You, me and Brolly all agreeing on the same thing? ;)

That was my biggest takeaway from yesterday too. (Well, that and the lingering guilt at nearly hoping we'd lose, so I wouldn't have to stay back in the giblet freezing cold to watch the trophy presentation.)

Other than when Con is on the pitch, we take the safe option & go for the guaranteed point far too much. Maybe it makes sense, given how many players we are missing. But habits like that are hard to break & I'd be worried it will cost us in the summer. Goals win games, not only on the scoreboard, but a well timed one can really cause the oppositions heads to drop. Oh well...guess we'll find out in the summer.

Edit: Looks like there is good news on the Cian & Jack Flash fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

There is something about the general composure of Mannion that made his 2 goal chances all the more frustrating - Lavelle's save for Rocks chance was top class, but I never fancy Rock in those situations anyways..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

blanch152 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see us start the Leinster championship with the following front 8:

Fenton, Howard
    Scully, O'Callaghan, Kilkenny
    Mannion, Rock, Basquel

Quite a changing of the old guard.

Staggering really.

We were toothless in the 2016 final because we lacked genuine pace in the forwards. Now we'll be a nightmare to defend against when the ground hardens up.

Assuming DC is out of the picture I'd go with
    Fenton MDM
    Scully, O' Callaghan, Howard
    Rock, KK, Mannion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement