Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

corny wrote: »
    Staggering really.

We were toothless in the 2016 final because we lacked genuine pace in the forwards. Now we'll be a nightmare to defend against when the ground hardens up.

Assuming DC is out of the picture I'd go with
    Fenton MDM
    Scully, O' Callaghan, Howard
    Rock, KK, Mannion

Straight off the press on RTE.ie
    Gavin hopeful of Connolly return to Dublin panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Is that the first post match Gavin has done with RTÉ this year? Was surprised when I seen him talking into an RTÉ mic last night.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Joekers wrote: »
    Your missing my point completely here, I said it's great value and I will argue that point all day long when you look at the price they charge else where for soccer etc but when your charging 12 euro for games to then jump to 30 I think it's too much.

Last week there was 2 games I had great interest in and I paid 12 euro to watch them, this week there was only 1 game I had an interest in seeing and I was being charged 30. The price shouldn't have increased so much is my point.
    I don't think I am missing the point completely. It can't be great value but also too much at the same time. There were two matches on yesterday, two finals, and I think it was priced very well. If you chose not to attend one match than that is your loss.

Ordinary league games were €15. The €12 ticket is a promotional offering. Stand tickets doubled in price and terrace increased by €5 for yesterday. The stand tickets were less than half the price of an All-Ireland final ticket yesterday whilst terrace tickets were half the price. If anything the GAA should do away with the €12 promotional offering and put more money into advertising league games and bringing in bigger crowds, particularly for Dublin games in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The last 2 league finals (against Kerry) were both sellouts. And they had rugby games & the Easter Holiday to contend with too. So I don't think ticket price is all that big of a factor. Dublin v Galway just isn't as big a draw. Plus, playing in Croke Park isn't really a novelty anymore for the Rossies, in particular.
    Patww79 wrote: »

No. He's been back talking to RTE for a few weeks now. The boycott - if you can even call it that - only lasted for 1 or 2 games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

First 15 mins had me worried yesterday from a defensive point of view. Galway players seemed to be able to outpace our defenders and easily burst past them each time they got possesion. We were then drawn into stupid fouls in easily scorable positions. Our tackling seriously lacked discipline at this stage and we seemed off the pace defencsively.

I don't know whether there was an instruction from the line but all of a sudden we seemed to start using our heads in the tackle instead of diving in and from then on we tightened up.

It's a particular bugbear of mine when defenders are over aggressive in the tackle and concede stupid scorable frees. We coach kids to use their brain as much as their physicality when trying to win the ball and to see quality intercounty players use headless aggressiveness that is guaranteed to cough up constant frees drives me nuts.

Performance overall was decent. Fenton was majestic again and I'm delighted to see Basquel, Scully and Howard putting in decent shifts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How can you call something great value and complain about the price in the very same sentence?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How can you call something great value and complain about the price in the very same sentence?!!!

I wasn't (You must have had a good bank holiday weekend :D) what I was saying in summary:

1) Gaa Tickets great value (12€ for most league games pre-purchase price)

2) Then the sunshine fans appear around AI final time and give out about the price of tickets, whereas they would know the tickets were good value if they had been to league games etc

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wasn't

I don't know why you think I was referring to you. Maybe you had a good weekend.
    Joekers wrote: »
    I still think it's great value but to go from charging 12 quid in to see games to 30 I think it's too much.

• Advertisement

I wasn't (You must have had a good bank holiday weekend :D) what I was saying in summary:

1) Gaa Tickets great value (12€ for most league games pre-purchase price)

2) Then the sunshine fans appear around AI final time and give out about the price of tickets, whereas they would know the tickets were good value if they had been to league games etc

The amount of 'sunshine fans' that couldn't sit down for 35 minutes per half did my bleedin head in yesterday. It was like Heuston station with people landing in late,walking into wrong seats, getting up then to go to the jacks, coming back and then getting up to go back out just before half time.

Ffs, its not like its a wedding or Confirmation mass, its 35 mins.
    Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The amount of 'sunshine fans' that couldn't sit down for 35 minutes per half did my bleedin head in yesterday. It was like Heuston station with people landing in late,walking into wrong seats, getting up then to go to the jacks, coming back and then getting up to go back out just before half time.

Ffs, its not like its a wedding or Confirmation mass, its 35 mins.
    Rant over.

Agree fully with this. Four people got up in my row at the same time, I looked at the clock, thinking it was 33 mins gone, but it was only 27!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

blanch152 wrote: »
    Agree fully with this. Four people got up in my row at the same time, I looked at the clock, thinking it was 33 mins gone, but it was only 27!

It's baffling. Why the f&*k anyone wants to eat a crappy Croke Park hotdog instead of watching the match is beyond me.

.............and as for the cabbages that come in 10 mins after throw in and always seem to have the seats bang in the middle of the row:mad:

Or the parents who have zero awareness of what pains in the arse their kids are, if they keeping running in and out of their seats every 5 minutes. If your kids have chronic bladder problems, can not sit still for more than 2 nanoseconds, or have to be stuffing crisps or chocolate in their gob every 5 seconds, get a bloody seat in the kids section. There was a family of 6 beside me yesterday & I swear to God, I must have gotten up 10 times to let one if the little darlings in or out. If your kid has to go (again) fair enough, he has to go, but at least show a little bit of cop on to the people around you. An "excuse me" or something wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Seeing as there is a few rants going on about what people do in Croke Park. Does anyone else think umbrellas are a real pain in the arse and the use of them is completely ignorant and inconsiderate to the other people in the stand?

Yes. Most definitely. Anyone sitting in a seat with their brolly up, deserves to have it shoved where the sun don't shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

muddle84 wrote: »
    Seeing as there is a few rants going on about what people do in Croke Park. Does anyone else think umbrellas are a real pain in the arse and the use of them is completely ignorant and inconsiderate to the other people in the stand?

Some people think universe is there for their convenience. At the 2015 final during the deluge three such arrived onto the Hill and hoisted their umbrellas. Well, a swiftly formed Dublin/Kerry alliance put an end to that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Loving the posts on the new thread. It's great having CP as our home ground. We've all seen how awful we are on our travels. It's reflected in how we've only won a measly 5 National League's in 6 years,and been in 6 finals in a row.

We'd not be in with a hope of any silveware without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yes. Most definitely. Anyone sitting in a seat with their brolly up, deserves to have it shoved where the sun don't shine.
    Actually seen something similar happen in the 2016 final, can't remember was it the first game or the replay. Whichever one had the bad rain. One fan lost the head walked across the aisle pulled the umbrella off the person and proceeded to rip the umbrella to bits and handed it back to the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Or the parents who have zero awareness of what pains in the arse their kids are, if they keeping running in and out of their seats every 5 minutes. If your kids have chronic bladder problems, can not sit still for more than 2 nanoseconds, or have to be stuffing crisps or chocolate in their gob every 5 seconds, get a bloody seat in the kids section. There was a family of 6 beside me yesterday & I swear to God, I must have gotten up 10 times to let one if the little darlings in or out. If your kid has to go (again) fair enough, he has to go, but at least show a little bit of cop on to the people around you. An "excuse me" or something wouldn't go amiss.

And you can't trip the little sh*tes now because of the black card rule...

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Squareball wrote: »
    Ballymun Kickhams contributed 33 players over the league if you get what I mean:

EC                2

PS                 5

JS                  7

DR                 7

JMcC             6

PMcM           6

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Kickhams first two league games:

18th Feb. Kickhams  0-12   Crokes  1-18

25th Mar. Boden 3-12  Kickhams 0-9
    The meat market continues....We contributed 5 more yesterday. Macker off with a hamstring injury and Smally takes a heavy blow to the head, is taken off and sure what the hell, lets put him back in!!
    You're welcome!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭threeball

Squareball wrote: »
    The meat market continues....We contributed 5 more yesterday. Macker off with a hamstring injury and Smally takes a heavy blow to the head, is taken off and sure what the hell, lets put him back in!!
    You're welcome!!!!

That was crazy. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that. After he took that knock I'd say you could have told him he was in Supermacs and he would have believed you. He was completely mashed. His own fault but mashed all the same. Completely negligent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Any update on McCarthy at all yet?

threeball wrote: »
    That was crazy. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that. After he took that knock I'd say you could have told him he was in Supermacs and he would have believed you. He was completely mashed. His own fault but mashed all the same. Completely negligent

"His own fault." I'm sure there was nothing malicious in it but he didn't hit himself in the throat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

This is going to be the summer when diving really took off (no pun intended). Galway got a lot of success from making a meal of things, I can see others doing the same and frustrating us. I'm not saying Dublin are guilt free of this but Galway took it to another level IMO. Pisses me off

This is going to be the summer when diving really took off (no pun intended). Galway got a lot of success from making a meal of things, I can see others doing the same and frustrating us. I'm not saying Dublin are guilt free of this but Galway took it to another level IMO. Pisses me off

Makes a nonsense of the black card fiasco. Cynicism is cheating; feigning injury, trying to get opponent sent off, time wasting, sly off the ball digs and worse - not the sort of stuff that is black carded which if a foul ought to be subject to yellow or red, depending on seriousness.

No team is entirely innocent, but some seem to have incorporated it into game plan. I find it difficult to believe for example that several players on the same team all resort to the same sneaky stuff, without it being encouraged at managerial level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    "His own fault." I'm sure there was nothing malicious in it but he didn't hit himself in the throat

TBH I didn't see it on TV but we were near to it, he ran into the Galway lad it was very messy looking

Bonniedog wrote: »
    "His own fault." I'm sure there was nothing malicious in it but he didn't hit himself in the throat :)

He lead with his head. His form was all wrong going into the tackle. Brannigan did nothing but spin out of the tackle. Either way he was getting milled and it was 100% his own fault. It was directly in line with where I was sitting.

Appropriate name you have there. You've obviously never seen Jonny Cooper or Philly mc play then.

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    Appropriate name you have there. You've obviously never seen Jonny Cooper or Philly mc play then.

In defence of Jonny or Philly you're more likely to get a smack in the gob off them than either of them diving.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement