Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    There is a waiting list as far as I know, but no idea how that operates. Little chance of there many non-renewals I would think.

I think that waiting list doesn't exit Bonnie. I think it's just a line they tell people.
    "We've none but you are on the list" few years ago a lad picked up a season ticket, he never heard of a list and wasn't on one, just rang up. I've friends who think they are on a list.

I know it's a different ticket. But possibly the same story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭rolling boh

At the moment I would say no chance of passes coming on sale.Does anybody know how many are in the scheme ? .l don't think going on a waiting list would be much use . Will become available when the team fall away and people don't think there will an all Ireland day out.

I'd say you are right. Demand for Mayo and Dublin is too high and tickets don't suit at the moment.

That other guy was a poster here he watched the site and was just lucky to get one when he called

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Handy enough wins last night for Fianna and Crokes.

Crokes have some amount of non Dubs playing considering their strength at underage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Stoner wrote: »
    I think that waiting list doesn't exit Bonnie. I think it's just a line they tell people.
    "We've none but you are on the list" few years ago a lad picked up a season ticket, he never heard of a list and wasn't on one, just rang up. I've friends who think they are on a list.

I know it's a different ticket. But possibly the same story

There was definetely a waiting list for the PP, I remember when I renewed last year there was an option to go on the list - but by all accounts there was no pecking order, it was an open lottery and offer if you were pulled out .. well that's the way they said they ran it ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'd say you are right. Demand for Mayo and Dublin is too high and tickets don't suit at the moment.

That other guy was a poster here he watched the site and was just lucky to get one when he called

Name and shame the bandwagoner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

DoctaDee wrote: »
    There was definetely a waiting list for the PP, I remember when I renewed last year there was an option to go on the list - but by all accounts there was no pecking order, it was an open lottery and offer if you were pulled out .. well that's the way they said they ran it ..

If it was me the waiting list should be confined to those people that are already attending matches, league and championship. Proof such as ticket stubs could suffice. It shouldn't be that easy that people can just phone or email Dublin Co board and ask to be put on 'the list'.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    If it was me the waiting list should be confined to those people that are already attending matches, league and championship. Proof such as ticket stubs could suffice. It shouldn't be that easy that people can just phone or email Dublin Co board and ask to be put on 'the list'.

It's the hoary old story though is it not?

Every year footballers get to last stages, there are complaints about people who claim to go all year round for years not getting tickets.

Surely anyone who has been doing that for years would have a PP, season ticket or be a club member? I'm sure there are some people who only use them for semi finals and finals, but the attendances at league games, including the final where Hill was around half full, would suggest that most of those who do actually go regularly do get tickets.

Bonniedog wrote:
    Surely anyone who has been doing that for years would have a PP, season ticket or be a club member? I'm sure there are some people who only use them for semi finals and finals, but the attendances at league games, including the final where Hill was around half full, would suggest that most of those who do actually go regularly do get tickets.

I was thinking that myself.

I've had phases where I didn't go to the games, I'm lucky I got season tickets when I did, but there were years where I went to none, work, study, health they all came before the Dubs

I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

For example how do younger supporters get a season ticket?

There's a lot of flutes claiming they go to all the games, my attendance on the season ticket is low this year 70 percent, but i only need 60 . That's missing 4 games in 10, a fair chunk at the same time

What's needed is a ticket for this list. You pay for it, administration, say 20 euro, then use it like a season ticket build a history of use, but you buy the tickets like a regular Joe.

They have a history of your attendance then. You could run any kind of kpi on the data to control who gets tickets.

They've it all set up anyway, just scan your dummy ticket

What does being on a list prove anyway

When I stopped being actively involved in club, I got PP as didn't feel I was entitled to one from club's meagre supply.

You are right about younger supporters. They will often lose out when it comes to bigger games despite ordering tickets through clubs, as they tend to be pushed aside in favour of others who haven't attended as much. You certainly don't see the sort of groups of young people together at Dublin matches as you do when other counties are playing.

There should be some sort of loyalty system for those who do go regularly and miss out on the big days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bonniedog wrote: »

It's the hoary old story though is it not?

Every year footballers get to last stages, there are complaints about people who claim to go all year round for years not getting tickets.

Being a member of a club is no guarantee of a ticket come final time. The average Dublin club gets about 50 tickets for the AI final, yet the demand is there for several hundred. Once the blazers take care of themselves, their buddies, the sponsors etc etc there is precious little left, to trickle down to the average fan. People are realizing that now & aren't depending on their clubs anymore. I know a few people who got a PP when they were available & they were about as far away from your summer bandwagoner as it is possible to get. They were genuine supporters, who just felt let down by their clubs come AI final time & decided to take matters into their own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Have missed no more than 5 Dublin matches in the past 10 years league and championship.
    I have stubs from the All Ireland Final only. Stubs/Tickets don’t prove attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Have missed no more than 5 Dublin matches in the past 10 years league and championship.
    I have stubs from the All Ireland Final only. Stubs/Tickets don’t prove attendance.

Vinnies leading by 10 points game over.

@Dicey, I agree with you but as Bonnie said, there should be some loyalty scheme for the likes of you as against someone putting their name down for a random lottery and getting their number pulled out.

Cuala starting with strong line up. Very few missing from the AI replay.

Don't think it will be as close as some were predicting.

Vinnies leading by 10 points game over.

@Dicey, I agree with you but as Bonnie said, there should be some loyalty scheme for the likes of you as against someone putting their name down for a random lottery and getting their number pulled out.

You’re dead right there should be. But I don’t think they give two hoots who’s there once they sell the tickets or Passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭rolling boh

loyalty scheme could be messy to manage.one thing about pp is you could attend lots of games without using it.lots of season tickets are being scanned by people who are doing a pal a favour.It may not suit some to go to Dorset street for most of the games when they can buy them in a local shop.So its really only the final that it really helps. My ticket was just taken at the stile in Castlebar not scanned or anything so there is no proof i entered the ground.There will always be somebody to buy the tickets whether they go to all the games or not.

Have missed no more than 5 Dublin matches in the past 10 years league and championship. I have stubs from the All Ireland Final only. Stubs/Tickets don’t prove attendance.

But you could scan at the season ticket windows.
    Have you no season ticket, you'd have picked one up in 2010, 11,12 and 13

But you could scan at the season ticket windows.
    Have you no season ticket, you'd have picked one up in 2010, 11,12 and 13

I do have a season ticket. I’m just saying ( for those that don’t) just because you don’t have a stub does not mean you have not attended.
    Gone to loads of hurling games when they don’t clash with the football, have zero stubs for them and no ST.

Greens and self-appointed cabal of architects and property developers - most of them non Dubs - want Dublin City Council to stop putting up banner supporting Dublin team in the week before an All Ireland final.

Apparently it is "inappropriate." Of course what they really find "inappropriate" is the GAA, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Greens and self-appointed cabal of architects and property developers - most of them non Dubs - want Dublin City Council to stop putting up banner supporting Dublin team in the week before an All Ireland final.

Apparently it is "inappropriate." Of course what they really find "inappropriate" is the GAA, I suspect.

Saw something on Facebuke, any links with the full story?

The greens were okay with JCDecaux plastering the northside in those awful massive billboard units to pay for their bicycles..funny that

• Advertisement

It's all Lee Keegan's fault ! :mad:

Bambi wrote: »
    Saw something on Facebuke, any links with the full story?

The greens were okay with JCDecaux plastering the northside in those awful massive billboard units to pay for their bicycles..funny that

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0409/953128-dublin-gaa-banner/

They are the Tooting Popular Front of Irish politics. When in government they were obsessed with trying to stop farmers building houses for their kids on their own land, while the country was practically brought to its knees!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They are the Tooting Popular Front of Irish politics. When in government they were obsessed with trying to stop farmers building houses for their kids on their own land, while the country was practically brought to its knees!

In fairness, it's one of the few tourist sights in the city, and covering it up is a bit of a shame. I'm mad for supporting the Dubs, but there's surely a better way of doing it? Stretch a massive banner between two poles across the Liffey, or cover a building with a massive billboard or something.

It's only there the week of finals, isn't it?

No problem at all with that.

CatInABox wrote: »
    In fairness, it's one of the few tourist sights in the city, and covering it up is a bit of a shame. I'm mad for supporting the Dubs, but there's surely a better way of doing it? Stretch a massive banner between two poles across the Liffey, or cover a building with a massive billboard or something.

This Dublin team is an integral part of the city. I was in Madrid when Spain won the World Cup and all sorts of historical buildings and monuments were festooned in celebration. Don't think too many tourists went home early! Tourists might actually like seeing that Dublin has a life outside of rip off pubs and hotels.

Real subtext of all of this is the loathing certain people have for the GAA and probably Dublin in general. As their attitude to rural Ireland also shows, they would really prefer if we were all extras in a remake of "The Quiet Man." :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This Dublin team is an integral part of the city. I was in Madrid when Spain won the World Cup and all sorts of historical buildings and monuments were festooned in celebration. Don't think too many tourists went home early! Tourists might actually like seeing that Dublin has a life outside of rip off pubs and hotels.

Fair enough, didn't realise it was just the week of finals as well, that makes this a real storm in a teacup.

Ah the bould Eamonn Ryan. It's says a lot about the greens that he ain't the biggest space cadet to ever lead them.

We should do something more low key like bar all culchies from the city centre for a week in septmber :)

They are also trying to get DCC to ban plastic coffee cups from public parks and buildings!

I suppose people could bring mugs with them and get them filled up? Although it would be preferable if people drank something wholesome like yak's milk, assuming that drinking milk even from beasts with a low carbon footprint, is not some sort of micro aggression.

The Greens are the smiley face of totalitarianism.

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

*cough*
    Anyway clubs back playing, wonder if we'll find a few lads putting their hands up for Gilroy.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Anyway clubs back playing, wonder if we'll find a few lads putting their hands up for Gilroy.

I don't know but I'd like to believe so. Maybe I'm just an optimist, or maybe it's just the goodwill that Gilroy has banked up in my head, but I still believe that he's trying to build a solid foundation.

I think that the problems in Dublin Hurling now have little to do with the manager anyway, and more to do with the guys upstairs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement