Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Don't think there was much chance of him coming back for Dublin at this stage.

A good reminder all the same of what a good team we had back then. Team that played Cork in 2013:

Maguire, Corcoran, Kelly, Schutte, Hiney, Rushe, Carton, McCaffrey, Boland, Keaney, Dwyer, Sutcliffe, O'Callaghan, Ryan, Treacy.

Kelly is one of few players that gets mention in Corbett's book as a direct marker. Which is a tribute in itself. Apart from early goal he kept Lar largely quiet. Might have taken them that day if they'd thrown caution to the wind later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He's not that old either, guess mileage and the injuries too their toll, he earned that all star.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Parnell Passes open for renewal from today

Terrace pass has gone up by €10 for the second year in a row

How much is the terrace now? And if there’s one for the stands how much is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

How much is the terrace now? And if there’s one for the stands how much is that.

Terrace is €140, stand is €185 (€175 last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Terrace is €140, stand is €185 (€175 last year)
    Plus a €2 handling fee per pass.

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Plus a €2 handling fee per pass.

Is that what the Dublin Joe fund is called now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Can we use the handling fee to install a retractable awning over the Hill?

Seriously, I'm getting arthritis in my wrists from shielding my face from the late September autumn sun? Sometimes, I even have to put down my Pimms No 1 cocktail & my gluten free, organically grown, ethically sourced, vegan friendly, lactose free prawn sambo. It's just not cricket chaps !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bambi wrote:
    He's not that old either, guess mileage and the injuries too their toll, he earned that all star.

He was a savage hurler, best position was full back and looked less of a player at 6 IMO.
    He earned the award alright, commanding performances that we don't get to see many of in a Dublin hurling jersey
    All star in one position but the next manager played him out of position imo. he played all three in different positions to the ones they won all stars at.

Clearly not in the form of 4/5 years ago it's a shame as his type is badly needed at the moment.

Was it Kelly who took over marking Canning when we beat them in Tullamore? Canning had just scored a goal and was standing sneering over Brady who had injured himself?

May be mistaken but like to think it happened like that! Canning stayed well way from Kelly any time they played after like 2013. That is certainly true,

Cuala beat Whitehall by 21 points tonight. Boden beat Raheny, and no Bernard for Plunketts again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Cuala beat Whitehall by 21 points tonight. Boden beat Raheny, and no Bernard for Plunketts again.

That was the strangest game I saw in a long time.
    Raheny looked great for the first 10 -15 minutes dominating possession then they conceded two really soft goals in quick succession.

All the Raheny backs with the exception of Ruterson Real should be sent to Clontarf for punishment.
    I think they need to get a defensive counter attacking set up like Judes.
    Worse still Raheny missed about 5-6 scorable chances in the second half.
    That side to side backward stuff does them no good keeping the ball with not enough intensive breaks.
    (The goal Raheny got was scored on the counter)
    Boden were definitely there for the taking final scoreline not a true reflection at all.

I was interested to see if Raheny could step up and get to that level just below the likes of Crokes/Vinnies/Ballymun/Boden
    And being competitive.

But they badly need a change in recruitment policy and get a few ringers of the quality of Tomas Corrigan like Plunketts have.
    You would think there would be a few cluchie Gardai players that could be transferred to Raheny Garda station?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Bonniedog wrote: »

He was on the sideline giving plenty of encouragement constantly on his feet (good sign?).

The official injury info on Berno coming out of the Dublin camp, is typically stingy, but I have my doubts that it is a full blown cruciate tear, or whatever the official name is for the injury that keeps you out for a full year generally.

Within days of it happening, I saw loads of pix of him on social meeja at work and industry events. Not only was he on his feet, but there was no sign of crutches, or those big plastic boot yokes people wear post surgery. So am not surprised he's on his feet 2 months on.

So I've a feeling in me waters that Brogan tiger blood will mean he'll be available for selection again by August. Whether or not Jim selects him is another kettle a fish entirely.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The official injury info on Berno coming out of the Dublin camp, is typically stingy, but I have my doubts that it is a full blown cruciate tear, or whatever the official name is for the injury that keeps you out for a full year generally.

Within days of it happening, I saw loads of pix of him on social meeja at work and industry events. Not only was he on his feet, but there was no sign of crutches, or those big plastic boot yokes people wear post surgery. So am not surprised he's on his feet 2 months on.

So I've a feeling in me waters that Brogan tiger blood will mean he'll be available for selection again by August. Whether or not Jim selects him is another kettle a fish entirely.

I know it might be heresy to say it.
    But in the current Dublin set up and choices available I don't think Bernard will be missed.
    Would he be willing to take an impact sub role?

Of coure he would. That's what he was last year. I seriously doubt if anyone - inluding Berno himself - thinks he has a good shot at being a starter again, not unless a massive illness or injury epidemic knocks half our squad out of commission.

He started the league in great form though

He really did. Looked sharp as a tack too. But late January is a different kettle a fish to late August. Lots of players aren't available, or in peak form, or condition in early January. It's a different story entirely when Gavin has a full squad of 100% fit, fully focused group of 30/35 players to choose from, 6 months later. Going by last year, the best Berno could have hoped for this year, would be a role off the bench.

However, none of Kev Mc, Paddy Andrews, O'Gara, Cormac Costello, Paul Flynn etc set the world on fire last year & there is also Dermo's ongoing absence to contend with. So maybe a regular spot off the bench would have been well within reach this year, if he was fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Paul Flynn lining out for Fins now. Be great to have him back for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

As a non Dub thought Kilkenny looked like he was carrying some timber today for Castleknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

As a non Dub thought Kilkenny looked like he was carrying some timber today for Castleknock.

Thought he looked fine myself. Certainly looked fit during the league for Dublin.

I wonder why Na Fianna haven't switched someone onto Varley. The game is passing Johnny Cooper by. Why not put him back in the corner to curb Varleys influence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

corny wrote:
    I wonder why Na Fianna haven't switched someone onto Varley. The game is passing Johnny Cooper by. Why not put him back in the corner to curb Varleys influence.

Would agree with that. Cooper just looks disinterested. Varley would give him something to concentrate on.

Would agree with that. Cooper just looks disinterested. Varley would give him something to concentrate on.

He was up for it its just the way Na Fianna play leaves them very exposed if they lose possession. He was overrun lots of the time and when he wasn't Vincents were playing direct ball over his head. Switch back to corner back would have made use of his talents at least.

Good game anyway. Vincents just a little bit too streetwise for Na Fianna. Again all three of their inside men (i know Carthy drifts out to HF) had smashing games.

corny wrote:
    Good game anyway. Vincents just a little bit too streetwise for Na Fianna. Again all three of their inside men (i know Carthy drifts out to HF) had smashing games.

Didn't see it, read the Munch had the better of Carthy, he's a terrific footballer, obviously he's small but he was always relatively small if you get where I'm coming from.

Quiz.
    13/15

Missed the amount of finals and first sponsor

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/true-dublin-diehards-will-get-1515-quiz-283021

I missed the sponsor too. T'was the only one though. Right proper genius me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I got the sponsor, I tend to remember stuff like that but have no head for stats or figures

Stoner wrote: »
    Didn't see it, read the Munch had the better of Carthy, he's a terrific footballer, obviously he's small but he was always relatively small if you get where I'm coming from.

Carthy got on a tonne of ball and played a lot of key passes into Varley and Quinn. I can't remember Murchan inconveniencing him that much. He was badly shrugged off by Lorcan Smyth for a score too.

11. Bollox.

Who are the 3 lads without All Stars? O'Gara and....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

13/15. POTY winners and sponsor question,were ones I knew I'd just have too take a shot in the dark with. Arnotts were always who I thought were our first sponsor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

corny wrote: »
    11. Bollox.

Who are the 3 lads without All Stars? O'Gara and....
    Small and Andrews

Got 15 myself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement