Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That was a report I read, and himself have Carthy was the highlight of the game. Must have been mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Paul Flynn lining out for Fins now. Be great to have him back for the summer.

https://twitter.com/Flinto23/status/990642497520132098

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

14/15 Hupp.

Got done on the sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Stoner wrote: »
    Quiz.
    13/15

Missed the amount of finals and first sponsor

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/true-dublin-diehards-will-get-1515-quiz-283021

I got the finals one wrong as well (It is kinda a pot luck question anyway as you don't see it written down in programmes and the like all the time)

Got the sponsor right though I think I read it in a book about Kevin Heffernan.

The other other one I got wrong was the player of the year one (question 4)

Bit sick I got that one wrong if I am honest.

Bar the sponsor one the questions seemed handy enough from questions 7-15

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

13/15 - got two of All Star questions wrong.

Guessed the Kaliber one as have no recollection of that at all. It definitely wasn't a logo was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What was Kaliber anyway...a not so trendy 1980's beer?

It was allegedly non alcoholic, but 2/3% I think. only advertising link I recall is that they had Eamon Coughlan on TV ads. It was early 80s alright, so a few years before any team had logos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What was Kaliber anyway...a not so trendy 1980's beer?

It's still made at James' Gate for export as far as i know. I've seen it in the US recently enough. It's non or low alcohol and tastes like p1ss.

It's still made at James' Gate for export as far as i know. I've seen it in the US recently enough. It's non or low alcohol and tastes like p1ss.

Well, as a rather great Dub (albeit a rather conflicted one) once said, "Being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I think they actually used piss to make it. There's no other way to make (pretend) beer that tastes that bad

• Advertisement

Apparently Kaliber were sponsors for 1990 and National Irish Bank for 1991. Was away in 1990 and they did not have a sponsored logo for the 1991 games against Meath who were ahead of Dublin in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Apparently Kaliber were sponsors for 1990 and National Irish Bank for 1991. Was away in 1990 and they did not have a sponsored logo for the 1991 games against Meath who were ahead of Dublin in that regard.

Funnily enough Bonnie that 1991 series was the beginning of the sponsorship deals that both counties became synonymous with. Meath started off with a new jersey sponsored by O'Reilly Transport and then another new jersey with Kepak in either the 3rd or 4th game. Dublin wore Arnotts for the 1st time in that series of games also, it began as additional stitching before the more recognised branding -

exhibit 1 ma lud the new Peregrines manager in Arnotts rev 0.1

e8e9e455ade9282c5b646e86632bf556.png

It wasn't exactly in your face!

What happened to Vincenzo and Monicas? He's hardly still playing is he?

Played against him out in that dump in hurling cup game about ten years ago. Vinny took the puck outs, all the frees, and covered almost every position on the pitch at some stage. Gas man,

Bonniedog wrote:
    Played against him out in that dump in hurling cup game about ten years ago. Vinny took the puck outs, all the frees, and covered almost every position on the pitch at some stage. Gas man,

Good hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

It wasn't exactly in your face!

What happened to Vincenzo and Monicas? He's hardly still playing is he?

:D I saw him a few years ago while player/managing Monicas hunkered down dragging on a cig on the sideline - he gave himself the last 10 minutes :rolleyes:

In other news I travelled out to the Naul to catch the SFC2 game between Peregrines and Isles only for the jaysis referee not to turn up :mad:.

Guess who is still shuffling around in Junior E ? Joe McNally !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

DoctaDee wrote: »
    :D I saw him a few years ago while player/managing Monicas hunkered down dragging on a cig on the sideline - he gave himself the last 10 minutes :rolleyes:

In other news I travelled out to the Naul to catch the SFC2 game between Peregrines and Isles only for the jaysis referee not to turn up :mad:.

Vinny is managing Peregrines this year.

Good hurler

He was. Silver helmet! Hurled a few games with Kerry.

Bonniedog wrote:
    He was. Silver helmet! Hurled a few games with Kerry.
    That's right he was expecting to play football with them, they were poor at the time, but they decided to stick with their newer young players, worked out well for them, not so much for him. Shouldn't have been dropped by the Dubs either.

He was crucial to Dublin's comeback against the princes in Thurles in 2001. Ran on and must have hit every one of their backs while raising his fists to the crowd!

Farrell has good story about him in his book. On way to that match they stopped at garage and Vinnie came back with Mars bars and crisps and coke.

Farrell told him he shouldn't be eating such rubbish before a game.

Vinny: "A Ferrari runs on any fuel." :-)

Bonniedog wrote:
    He was crucial to Dublin's comeback against the princes in Thurles in 2001. Ran on and must have hit every one of their backs while raising his fists to the crowd!

Was that the game that Sherlock came on as a sub with Farrell. Sherlock's distribution was fantastic, great hands set up a could of goals including laying Vinnie on, Sherlock was great at getting the ball to a forward that was running at the goal.

I think the three lads come in and the Crokes lads came off. I think Na Fianna were county champions at the time but had nobody starting, Farrell and Sherlock along with Vinne were great that day.

• Advertisement

Don't remember much of it other than Murphy coming on and Homan's goal, Farrell definitely started though as he missed two absolute sitters early on.

Often wondered what might have happened if they'd won that. It was strange year. Meath gave Kerry I think their worst hiding in history? and then themselves got mauled by Galway, Dublin would certainly have put it up to Meath and always seem to be able for Galway/

Bonniedog wrote:
    Don't remember much of it other than Murphy coming on and Homan's goal, Farrell definitely started though as he missed two absolute sitters early on.

I must be mixing it up so. Was that a replay? I think that lads were all subs in the first game, Farrell started the second but Vinnie was a sub.
    I remember the Homan goal. TBH imo he was the best midfielder to play alongside Whelan, the two of them were great together. The Armagh boys finished Homans shoulder for senior county football, Homan at 8 Whelan at 9 and Ryan at 6 would have been nice.

Homan still played on though didn't he won a junior AI years later with Cooper, O'Gara, Flynn, Daly, Fitzsimmons etc

The Doc must have made a bollxxks of the quiz, otherwise we'd have all heard about it by now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DoctaDee wrote: »

**** off? The man looks like Ron Jeremys older fatter brother, although he looked like that when he had his inter county Indian summer in the 90s too I guess :eek:

I must be mixing it up so. Was that a replay? I think that lads were all subs in the first game, Farrell started the second but Vinnie was a sub.
    I remember the Homan goal. TBH imo he was the best midfielder to play alongside Whelan, the two of them were great together. The Armagh boys finished Homans shoulder for senior county football, Homan at 8 Whelan at 9 and Ryan at 6 would have been nice.

Homan still played on though didn't he won a junior AI years later with Cooper, O'Gara, Flynn, Daly, Fitzsimmons etc

Nearly certain Farrell started drawn game as goal misses were early on.

Homan was good. You are right about Armagh. He was only one standing up to them and they did him on way into tunnel at half time. Not one Dub stood up for him. Wouldn't happen now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Farrell has good story about him in his book. On way to that match they stopped at garage and Vinnie came back with Mars bars and crisps and coke.

Farrell told him he shouldn't be eating such rubbish before a game.

Vinny: "A Ferrari runs on any fuel." :-)

Not according to Vinny himself -https://www.buzz.ie/sport/long-read-fab-vinnie-will-always-be-king-of-the-hill-232588

"One of the nights, we had Ian Robertson with us. He was a fine footballer but was always breaking down, so we called him 'Lada'.

So that started the thing going. We figured Dessie was a Mini, great in straight lines, good on the corners, but struggles over longer distances.

It went on like that. They asked me what I was, and I said 'Ferrari'. They were going 'what, a Ferrari?'

And I said, 'yeah, I can run on any fuel'.
    "

: Vinnie Murphy

iPxHzyi.png?1

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Often wondered what might have happened if they'd won that. It was strange year. Meath gave Kerry I think their worst hiding in history? and then themselves got mauled by Galway, Dublin would certainly have put it up to Meath and always seem to be able for Galway/

Just a comment on that

At the time, it seemed like a coronation for Meath. They'd been arguably the strongest team over the previous 15 years, 4 all ireland's in that time, great teams, great players. And here they were hammering Kerry and seemingly on their way to another title.

And then they got beat by Galway, and that was it. We really have not seen Meath do a thing of note since - apart from beating Louth in 2010, which really even Meath people would acknowledge was just plain wrong and unfair and shouldnt have happened. And thats it.

And no matter what way you cut it, there comes a point where you would hope Meath would make a comeback and be a force again.....I think really Leinster needs it. But its not happening. From what I hear, at underage, its not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tombo2001 wrote: »

And no matter what way you cut it, there comes a point where you would hope Meath would make a comeback and be a force again......

Nope. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah, I don't know. As much as I like hammering the ***** out of those guys every year, a lot of the craic has gone out of it. I used to have slagging matches with the folks from across the border, especially as my wife is from there, but these days there's just no fun in it anymore. They know they're beaten before they take to the field, even our second string could handle them.

It's just feels like I'm beating up someone at their own funeral.

• Advertisement

And long may it continue.

A pox upon all their houses.

#Remember91

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement