Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

hunter164 wrote: »
    We weren’t robbed, we just couldn’t close the game out. You can blame the ref all you want but we missed too many easy points and we couldn’t close the game out, not the referees fault. The ref was bad for both sides not just one.

Yeah, winters missed a few frees he should have got towards the end.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Looks like the last train back from Portlaoise looks like its at 5.20 on the 27th,

Surely they will run a few more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Looks like the last train back from Portlaoise looks like its at 5.20 on the 27th,

I remember the last time we played in Portlaiose - there was chaos on the train home as it was the last one and very shortly after the final whistle - madness. Lot of people left on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Bus might be your best option for Portlaoise.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Bus might be your best option for Portlaoise.
    I am not keen on the bus ever since the Bus (Bus Eireann) driver decided not to show up for the bus to Longford.
    Must be 10 years ago now... still no sign of him I bet!
    Left us sitting on the bus for ages waiting - sub bus driver arrived but missed the first half of the game.

I would take the hassle out of it and get someone to drive / drive yourself.

IRE60 wrote: »
    I remember the last time we played in Portlaiose - there was chaos on the train home as it was the last one and very shortly after the final whistle - madness. Lot of people left on the platform.

I remember as well in Semple stadium last year the match (after the tipp Dublin hurling) between waterford and kilkenny went into extra time.
    Thought I was going to miss the least train so I left early.
    Only to find out the train was delayed by 30 minutes and I could have stayed.
    An announcement at the ground might have been nice?

Public transport outside the big smoke will always be a law unto itself.
    And there seems to be little/no joined up thinking between the GAA, and the public transport providers.

Of course cycling to matches is always an option.

http://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-croke-park-staff-cycle-from-croke-park-thurles-for-charity/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Last train back is 7.40pm according to Irish rail website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Billy Mays wrote: »

And it's booked out was just on to Irish Rail asking if there will be an extra service put in place,And they said not at the moment.

Was grand for me last year, but that was a Saturday.

Yeah I just booked the one before that on the flexi ticket, says you can travel on any service that day if you have a flexi ticket.

Hopefully they put an extra train or 2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Dublin Coach is your only man for trips down the M7. I use them a lot going to Limerick. Very, very reliable and very frequent. A direct nuclear strike on Kildare Village or UL, and they'd still roll into the Red Cow depot as schedulded. Fabulous service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭donkey balls

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Dublin Coach is your only man for trips down the M7. I use them a lot going to Limerick. Very, very reliable and very frequent. A direct nuclear strike on Kildare Village or UL, and they'd still roll into the Red Cow depot as schedulded. Fabulous service.

Do they leave from the city center by any chance

Do they leave from the city center by any chance

They do indeed. The town stop is beside Tara St Dart station. I think you may have to change buses at the Red Cow, as the Portlaoise - Dublin Airport bus doesn't stop in town. But the buses run so frequently, that shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Visions of lads from Coolock setting off in pith helmets into the dark unknown.

"Dr. O'Connor Park I presume?"

"Yes, but the match was three days ago."

ProudDUB wrote: »

Fair dues, never even heard of this company, cancelled the train and went with the bus from Dublin Airport instead. Live in Swords so saves the hassle getting to/from Hueston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Fair dues, never even heard of this company, cancelled the train and went with the bus from Dublin Airport instead. Live in Swords so saves the hassle getting to/from Hueston.

Delira to help.

My commission for travel agency services is a mere 15%, knocked down to 10% for fellow Dubs.

The buses are bright green. You can't miss them. Comes in dead handy when waiting at locations where lots of buses pull in. Or you're thick like me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Have you the intelligence to give an answer no.

I don't unfortunately, haven't a breeze what you're talking about.

Sure what would us dubs know about hurley ball, not a wristy hurler in all of our big ball county. Was great to see a proper wristy hurler in TJ Reid put on a scoring exhibition of 1 point from play.

Also there wasn't one question mark in your post to indicate there was a question, just you rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Rochey18 wrote:
    Also there wasn't one question mark in your post to indicate there was a question, just you rambling.

There was one fullstop though, and a smiley face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I don't unfortunately, haven't a breeze what you're talking about.

Sure what would us dubs know about hurley ball, not a wristy hurler in all of our big ball county. Was great to see a proper wristy hurler in TJ Reid put on a scoring exhibition of 1 point from play.

Isn't that twice running Reid has been quiet enough against us. I seem to remember O'Callaghan having a great game against him a couple of seasons back.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Visions of lads from Coolock setting off in pith helmets into the dark unknown.

"Dr. O'Connor Park I presume?"

"Yes, but the match was three days ago."

Don't think we didn't see what you did there.

The name of the ground in Portlaoise is O'Moore Park.

Don't be trying to catch us out ye hoor ! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Here I am thinking "wasn't that last year?"

I've been making assumptions in my head that it's gonna be Saturday the 26th at 7pm again like last year. Portlaoise to Adamstown after the game was gonna be the plan. Bugger anyway. I'll be driving now if the trains are anything to go by.

Look at you guys making assumptions that Irish Rail's raison d'etre is to transport the citizenry of the State.

Regardless of this game the last train from PL should not be an IC from Cork (ex PL at 1940) of a Sunday night. It's a disgrace. But that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Here I am thinking "wasn't that last year?

Dubs v Longford! 20? Hazy recollection journey home on the train!

Anyway - Irish Rail have put on a train home to the big smoke at 6:30pm (bit tight).

Your real struggle is getting down as there are only a few tickets for a few trains to get you in time for the game - unless you want to do 11:00am mass in Portlaoise!!

I'm on the 12:40 out of Heuston, plenty of time to sample the delights.

If you're thinking of going - get your tickets pronto for the train.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dubs v Longford! 20? Hazy recollection journey home on the train!

Anyway - Irish Rail have put on a train home to the big smoke at 6:30pm (bit tight).

Your real struggle is getting down as there are only a few tickets for a few trains to get you in time for the game - unless you want to do 11:00am mass in Portlaoise!!

I'm on the 12:40 out of Heuston, plenty of time to sample the delights.

If you're thinking of going - get your tickets pronto for the train.

C

The second I copped it was Sunday I was driving.

Park her up in Supermac's and off I pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Anyone taking train down to Wexford tomorrow...fire damage at Bray resulting in track closure. Buses from Connolly to Greystones.

Wasn't able to go to wexford
    So listening to it on South East Radio the commentators are rattled, and the dubs a point up.
    Sounds like a great atmosphere.

Edit: At full time the commentator says "I never thought we would be getting excited about beating Dublin...beating Dublin!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

That's it now. Sounds like they gave it a good rattle, had all the momentum going into the last 10 mins but yet again we can never close a game out.

Fking jaysus fk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Ah. Two games we left behind. Will still be down to Offaly game.

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    That's it now. Sounds like they gave it a good rattle, had all the momentum going into the last 10 mins but yet again we can never close a game out.

Yeah but, they will learn that with these type of defeats.
    I am just happy Dublin hurling is heading in the right direction again, a bit of fine tuning and who knows how far they could progress in the next couple of years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement