Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

They lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    They lost.

Yeah, but it wasn't as if they were hammered.

Look at the job Gilroy has to do:

1) He has to find lads to build up a bit of a panel - find new blood (doing well so far)
    2) He has to get a system of play that suits the players - (work in progress)
    3) He has to integrate the right amount of Cuala lads to get a good blend of a team - (work in progress)

Saying 'they lost" is looking at it purely superficially it is a long term project not and overnight thing.

Look at the state that Cork fella left Dublin hurling in!

You sound like this guy vvvv

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Yeah but, they will learn that with these type of defeats.
    I am just happy Dublin hurling is heading in the right direction again, a bit of fine tuning and who knows how far they could progress in the next couple of years.

We need a couple of forwards. Dillon and Treacy returning will help and who knows maybe Schutte will see the light next season.

Cruel defeats indeed but Gilroy has done a great job considering the state Cunningham left us in and the league we had. Full confidence we'll be winning these games next season.

You sound like this guy vvvv

You sound like fat boy in Bob's Burgers. Probably look like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Now now.

Now now.

Now now applies to everyone.

Interesting comment.... it is genius comebacks like that makes you sound like a well informed Dublin supporter... :rolleyes:

The hurl is the stick thing, and the ball is called a sliotar.

Interesting comment.... it is genius comebacks like that makes you sound like a well informed Dublin supporter... :rolleyes:

hurl is the stick thing, and the ball is called a sliotar.

If your response to me is Simpsons, whatever relevance that has, then have Bob's Burgers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Solidarity brothers, solidarity!

• Advertisement

No. I am going to be told to shut up or ridiculed by any man. That other site that is now unmentionable banned anyone with contrary view on referendum.

No. I am going to be told to shut up or ridiculed by any man. That other site that is now unmentionable banned anyone with contrary view on referendum.

I don't remember anyone telling you to shut up....
    Your a like a bonniedog with a bone now.

If your response to me is Simpsons, whatever relevance that has, then have Bob's Burgers :)

No you missed the point of the clip my response to you was

1) You seem like a very fickle fan
    2) You have no patience in supporting your team
    3) If they lose you have no time for them and are very pessimistic

I was not referring to that fact that you may be fat or bald or middle-aged or all three.

Just to reiterate My main point was you seem like a stereotypical fan

Team win = best in the world
    Team lose = worst in the world

There is no nuance or middle ground.

Thereby sounding like a bit of an eejit in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:

You were not told to shut up or ridiculed.

Why are you talking about the following here on a sports forum?

A) The referendum
    B) The other site, nobody here banned you, move on.

As is your right you have gone against the mainstream regarding the hurlers in recent years IMO. That's all good, you won't get banned for that here. You've been right and wrong imo.

Last year you were of the opinion that a lot of the issues were due to the players not the manager.

Many disagreed

Player after player left. I know some issues were player related, but this year many returned.

Keaney having retired was fantastic against kilkenny.

The returning Cuala contingent is significant, something you disagreed on at the time too. I think they've improved significantly. Getting a championship standard fullback and half back is a huge boost.

Dublin hurling went backwards, our last friends effort almost looked like attempted sabotage.

The team is playing better now imo.

I could go on but won't. You obviously know Dublin hurling. From what I can see people respect your opinion here, I certainly do.

Unless you abuse another poster or break the charter you won't get banned.
    Look at some of the flutes here that don't get banned to support this statement.
    It's auctually very hard to ban someone outside of the reasons I gave you, when that happens it often goes through the Disputes and Resolution process, often bans are dropped and mods look foolish. Never mind what happens elsewhere.

IMO this is a unique forum within the GAA social media space. The day snowflakes take it over will be a sad one.

Fair enough. I was posting in immediate aftermath of another defeat. Any offence caused, apologies.

As for being a fickle fan, well my first Dublin hurling game was in 1972/3 when my uncle was selector on team that beat Cork in league. He had played through late 60s and early 70s. My granddad played for Dublin in the 1920s, and other uncles in 1950s.

We are such fan boys :-)

Thought we had them in added time. Had chance to go ahead again and it ended in turnover that in fairness resulted in brilliant point for them. Reality is we've lost two games, albeit narrowly, so no chance of making final stages and all be down to Offaly game in Parnell to stay up.

That's the reality chaps, and no offence meant to anyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Fair enough. I was posting in immediate aftermath of another defeat. Any offence caused, apologies.

As for being a fickle fan, well my first Dublin hurling game was in 1972/3 when my uncle was selector on team that beat Cork in league. He had played through late 60s and early 70s. My granddad played for Dublin in the 1920s, and other uncles in 1950s.

We are such fan boys :-)

Thought we had them in added time. Had chance to go ahead again and it ended in turnover that in fairness resulted in brilliant point for them. Reality is we've lost two games, albeit narrowly, so no chance of making final stages and all be down to Offaly game in Parnell to stay up.

That's the reality chaps, and no offence meant to anyone.

I knew it, a culchie at the heart of it all :pac::p

Hard luck yesterday by the way, I had thought ye had it as full time approached. one point up and time just gone and all the momentum, luckily we had Rory O Connor in fine form.

bruschi wrote: »
    I knew it, a culchie at the heart of it all :pac::p

Yeah, he was Tipp man. Only Dub on same team was Harry Boland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Have the supervised assessment now on Friday. Says that i need to bring the invitaton with me, is this just a print of, of the message?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I, on the other hand, don't have such a storied history with the Dublin hurlers, or indeed, even with the Dublin footballers, having only started supporting them back in 07/08. Just had no interest up until that point, and working with a bunch of GAA heads meant that every Monday, lunchtime was essentially me sitting on listening to a bunch of Navaho Code Talkers chat away amongst themselves.

So, I started watching Dublin, and because I knew no better, I started supporting both the Footballers and the Hurling equally. Twas only after chatting to a few Dublin heads after a game that I realised that there's a fair proportion of Dublin that couldn't give two figs about Hurling, but at that stage, I'd started, so I thought that I may as well continue with both. Nowadays, I could talk all day about sport, in general as well, not just GAA, so it's been a bit of a sea change over the ten years or so.

All of which is to say that my history of Dublin Hurling doesn't include much, it's all very recent, but it had it's highs, and it had it's lows. The euphoria of the Dalo years faded quite quickly, and entered the decline of the Ger Cunningham years. To me, it looked like there was loads of reasons for the decline, but the repulsion of talent was close to criminal. The first thing to flee wasn't players though, it was character. Dublin became an easy team to beat.

Get a five point lead and the team would lose all belief. A five point lead would then turn into ten/fifteen point lead, and the lads would have to take home a hammering. One of the things that I was looking for/hoping for when Gilroy was picked was a rebuilding of character in the team, and up until the Kilkenny game I hadn't seen much of it. As impressive as that performance was, to produce another performance like that, despite a sickening, disheartening loss a mere week before, that was even more impressive to me.

I know that we lost both games, and that we're in yet another relegation battle, but considering where we were a year or two ago, getting on the business end of 20 point hammerings, and wondering was there even a point to putting money into Dublin Hurling, I'll take where we are now. For the first time in a few years, I'm looking forward to the next game.

Good post.

I wasn't trying to score points. Am old man so we are inclined to tell old stories.

Best years were certainly with Daly,

Worst day, and apologies for doing the old man thing again :-), was Aughrim 1977 or 78. Beaten by Kildare, The late and much missed Mick Holden tells great story about it. Think it might be online somewhere, Times interview.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote:
    Yeah, he was Tipp man. Only Dub on same team was Harry Boland.

Where was he from Bonnie!!!

Upperchurch. Same place as Mick Ryan, Mick Ryan the manager not Mick Ryan who owns the Ha'penny :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clrk9L6Cc5U

Every one's name is Ryan.

Patww79 wrote: »

Black and amber of Upperchurch/Dromane

How did the poor chap end up hurling or Wicklow :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czM2142RgE

Does he have to play county?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

No comments on the thread in 5 days and big match tomorrow!

Strong team named anyway. Can't link as on phone. JG not taking any chances.

Slattsy wrote:
    No comments on the thread in 5 days and big match tomorrow!

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Have 2 adults and one child card going begging if anyone wants them. ( free)
    Can meet down there.

• Advertisement

Bit embarrassing that this game is not in Aughrim. It is a small pitch but we had the Cats in Parnell last week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement