Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I love that ground. It's great to be so close to the pitch. You could hear them talking to each other. Fenton is not only a beast but very much a leader. Always calling and pointing players into position.

Leinster is dead though...it's a pity Meath and more surprisingly Kildare are so poor. These are nothing games at this point and I'm sorry to say it but it's boring now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    I love that ground. It's great to be so close to the pitch. You could hear them talking to each other. Fenton is not only a beast but very much a leader. Always calling and pointing players into position.

Leinster is dead though...it's a pity Meath and more surprisingly Kildare are so poor. These are nothing games at this point and I'm sorry to say it but it's boring now.

O'Bryne Cup has superseded the leinster championship in terms of excitement at this stage.
    Mainly because Dublin go on thier holliers and play thier third team and the other counties seem to take it really seriously.

RTE should do a documentary about Meath as well to show how a fall from great heights can happen if the structures are let slide.
    Jayus... there was a time when a team would be eight points up on Meath... and you would think Meath could still comeback.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Not in country so missed the match....how did the forwards line up? KK play on the edge of the square?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    Not in country so missed the match....how did the forwards line up? KK play on the edge of the square?

Yes Cory, as we've been noting, he was closer to 14 than any other position. Still taking points when goals are on, not dropping it short

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Very exciting news about the new royal baby isn't it?

Has Kay Burley booked her flight yet?

Are Paddy Power offering odds on names?

#BabbyBerno

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1002550341957836803

Conal Keaney back for our must win match on Sunday, much needed after his performance against Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Are the hurlers on d’telly this weekend by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

CatInABox wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1002550341957836803

Conal Keaney back for our must win match on Sunday, much needed after his performance against Kilkenny.
    The bigger change for me is Bill O'Carroll not starting. He's been the weakest link in our defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kavrocks wrote: »
    The bigger change for me is Bill O'Carroll not starting. He's been the weakest link in our defence.

He was poor in the league but I thought once he was moved out of full back he did really well against Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Strongest team Dublin have put out all year. This is most important game in 30 years. Losing be disaster. Same for Offaly so should be some match.

Bambi wrote: »
    He was poor in the league but I thought once he was moved out of full back he did really well against Kilkenny

As did I. I think the way Dublin set up suited him. Wasn't as exposed.

Dublin are 1/8 and i'd be very surprised if they lose. Hopefully a good win will set us up for a rattle off Galway next week. You never know, if they lose against Wexford a win against them puts us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hurlers seem to be cruising.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hurlers seem to be cruising.

Where you watching/listening?

Dublin 2-11

Offaly 0-06

---

Latest from Newstalk

EDIT:

GAA have decent updates.

2-13 to 0-06

http://www.gaa.ie/live-updates/june0318/

Dublin 2-16

Offaly 0-07

Offaly have a penalty now...

Dublin 2-16

Offaly 0-07

Offaly have a penalty now...

And it was saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That was a fine display against an Offaly side who fancied themselves before throw-in.

The lads look to be flying fitness wise. Seems the heavy winter sessions have paid off.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep. Shame the hurlers year is over so soon. (Think we all know how the Galway game is gonna go.) Still, am a lot more positive going into next year, than I was going into this year.

I'm off now with me portractor & slide rule to figure out who in the name of Jayzus we are likely to have in our Super 8's group. Thanks A LOT Monaghan.

• Advertisement

Good win. Dareisayit, but not beyond possibility of making the play offs!

Sad to see Offaly going down but it's a good system. Makes the whole thing a lot more competitive as proven by the Munster games which have produced three of best games of last ten years,

Wasn't a great performance by Dublin. They were very sloppy in the first half and had some terrible wides. Much better in the second half mind.

Offaly played better in their previous games but they were hopeless today.

Barrett and Crummey obviously caught the eye with the scores but MacGibb and the two midfielders were very good too. Treacy was really tidy when he came on.

Dead rubber next week but i'm confident we can give Galway a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Good win. Dareisayit, but not beyond possibility of making the play offs!

Sad to see Offaly going down but it's a good system. Makes the whole thing a lot more competitive as proven by the Munster games which have produced three of best games of last ten years,

But competitiveness surely is a function of the relative abilities of the teams and not of the system itself? The Munster games were competitive but that was not because of the system. Remember that this is a province where all bar one county have won the provincial title this decade and the other won the All-Ireland. Four of the counties have played in the All-Ireland senior hurling final in the past five years. Only once in the last five years has the All-Ireland semi-final not featured three teams from Munster. Four counties in the province have between then won all bar one of the under-21 All-Ireland titles this decade. It's going to be competitive anyway.

If it was the round-robin system which caused the competitiveness then you wouldn't have Offaly taking such hammerings. In fact aside from Dublin's first two games the outcome of nearly all Leinster games has been obvious from a long way out. So the system has nothing to do with creating competitiveness. In fact it can be argued that the system has a negative effect on competitiveness as it severely punishes teams with sparser panels. Offaly are a case in point as they were reasonably able to compete in their first two games but the system screwed them in the end and they ended up not only taking hammerings but, as part of the new system, being relegated.

The Munster games prove that Munster is a competitive province not that the system makes things more competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

He can thank Judge Patrick Clyne for sparing him the conviction a few years ago, otherwise he wouldn’t be allowed in

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dubs-all-star-diarmuid-connolly-spared-jail-and-criminal-record-for-pub-attack-30699415.html

Seems a bit gratuitous to dig that one out after the time that has passed rather than comment on, say, maybe his future or lack of in the Dublin colours. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Good result today but my god the shooting in the first twenty minutes was woeful, any other team in the championship would of punished us.

Overall a good championship, really pray to god we build on this year and add a few pieces for next year.

Nolan, Bennett, Crummy fantastic.
    Moran is a massive addition to the team.
    Hopefully the lads have a good go next week, and see where we are against the best team in the country.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Good result today but my god the shooting in the first twenty minutes was woeful, any other team in the championship would of punished us.

Overall a good championship, really pray to god we build on this year and add a few pieces for next year.

Nolan, Bennett, Crummy fantastic.
    Moran is a massive addition to the team.
    Hopefully the lads have a good go next week, and see where we are against the best team in the country.

Still in with a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Still in with a chance!

Don't we need wexford to beat kilkenny by some unfeasible margin too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Bambi wrote: »
    Don't we need wexford to beat kilkenny by some unfeasible margin too?

Goes on head to head! Dublin’s season over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement