Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

blanch152 wrote: »

The key players for Dublin now are Cluxton, Cooper, McCarthy, McCaffrey, Fenton, Kilkenny, Mannion, O'Callaghan, Scully and Howard, all nine of whom I would expect to start when fit.

Dublin will be playing younger hungrier players

/QUOTE]

All of which would imply that Diarmuid Connolly's future with Dublin is pretty much non-existent if he sits out this summer which is largely the point I made. Things move on very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Powerhouse wrote: »

The key players for Dublin now are Cluxton, Cooper, McCarthy, McCaffrey, Fenton, Kilkenny, Mannion, O'Callaghan, Scully and Howard, all nine of whom I would expect to start when fit.

Dublin will be playing younger hungrier players

/QUOTE]

All of which would imply that Diarmuid Connolly's future with Dublin is pretty much non-existent if he sits out this summer which is largely the point I made. Things move on very quickly.

It doesn't imply that no. He didn't mention Connolly. You manipulated his point to build on your flights of fancy. Sorry....'ideas'.

corny wrote: »
    It doesn't imply that no. He didn't mention Connolly. You manipulated his point to build on your flights of fancy. Sorry....'ideas'.

Never said he mentioned Connolly. But it is reasonable to assume that a player in his 31st year who has decided to spend the summer in America rather than playing for Dublin would not have qualified as a type "younger hungrier player" referred to. He is no longer young by inter-county standards and certainly does not appear hungry if he is giving the Dublin team the swerve this summer. No manipulation of any point - just applying obvious logic to his point that Dublin were moving towards relying on a younger generation of players in respect of Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'm struggling to make the gameon Sunday. Flight lands at 3.

I could end up with 3 floating tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Never said he mentioned Connolly. But it is reasonable to assume that a player in his 31st year who has decided to spend the summer in America rather than playing for Dublin would not have qualified as a type "younger hungrier player" referred to. He is no longer young by inter-county standards and certainly does not appear hungry if he is giving the Dublin team the swerve this summer. No manipulation of any point - just applying obvious logic to his point that Dublin were moving towards relying on a younger generation of players in respect of Connolly.

You are making an assumption I didn't make.

I deliberately didn't include Connolly. In fact, taking a year out means he may well be hungrier to pick up another All-Ireland and will assume the elder statesman role being vacated by the likes of Brogan, McManamon and MacAuley.

• Advertisement

You are making an assumption I didn't make.

I deliberately didn't include Connolly. In fact, taking a year out means he may well be hungrier to pick up another All-Ireland and will assume the elder statesman role being vacated by the likes of Brogan, McManamon and MacAuley.

Never attributed the assumption you at all. It was my assumption and simply an assumption in line with what I have been saying all along i.e. that in a sport where average age of teams seems to be going down all the time it seems to me a real possibility that Connolly is at the end of his time at inter-county level. I think anyone who does not countenance that as at least a possibility is deluding themselves.

But all I am doing is offering an opinion. And it's an opinion based on my life experience. I think that someone whose age suggests they have limited time left would not go to America in the middle of an incredible Dublin run if they had real ambitions to be part of it. And who knows, maybe he'll stay in America in the long run? Maybe he'll get injured over there. There'll be shortage of small-town heroes who'd love to take a chunk out of a vulnerable and volatile Diarmuid Connolly.

The idea that he will come back as some prodigal hero in 2019 and lead Dublin to glory is a seductive one but not a real-world one I'd say. I'd imagine the Dublin management privately takes a dim view of all this and might decide instead to develop the people who actually want to play for Dublin instead of waiting on a guy who decides to take a gap year right at the time they should be showing leadership to others rather than heading off like some post-graduate student.

But's that's just an opinion. But it is an honest view and is not based on what I would like to happen which I think is maybe affecting the judgement of some here. I have no way of knowing whether it'll come to pass or not but I think at best his future is now very uncertain. Rory O'Connell was supposed to be back after a year and never returned. Life has a habit of getting in the way of the best laid plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stoner wrote: »

I completely forgot to change my card details!!!

Here's hoping it goes through again tomorrow. Eep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

They changed it I think, if they try take it and the funds are not there they will opt you out. They don't try again..

They changed it I think, if they try take it and the funds are not there they will opt you out. They don't try again..

They do try again, got an email this morning about my failed payment. Don't know why they had expired card for payment as previous payment for season ticket had gone through on a new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ismisebernard

I think things do have to move on very quickly, like anything , he could be injured / suspended, and its next man up.
    I think when you look at (for example) Mayo bringing on an injured Cillian O'Connor when Parsons went down, Dublin arent in the same position thankfully.

• Advertisement

They do try again, got an email this morning about my failed payment. Don't know why they had expired card for payment as previous payment for season ticket had gone through on a new card.

That was my thinking this morning when I got the same email.

Obviously a glitch if the two of us were in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,853 ✭✭✭billyhead

I will take them from you if your giving them away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/four-players-opt-out-of-jim-gavins-leaguewinning-panel-to-spend-summer-in-usa-36978885.html

It's not just Connolly, apparently. The two Shane Carthys, Ciaran Reddin and Emmet O'Conghaile are joining him in the States.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/four-players-opt-out-of-jim-gavins-leaguewinning-panel-to-spend-summer-in-usa-36978885.html

It's not just Connolly, apparently. The two Shane Carthys, Ciaran Reddin and Emmet O'Conghaile are joining him in the States.
    Ah shur god help ye, how will ye scrape together a team at all at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Had similar problems with renewing the PP. Went through eventually but my details haven't changed since I originally got one 10 years ago.

I hope some Prince in a far off country is not selling tickets on ebay :)

Ah shur god help ye, how will ye scrape together a team at all at all...

They took both our Shane Carthy's MICK!!! BOTH OF THEM!!!

billyhead wrote:
    I will take them from you if your giving them away

I'll keep it in mind, would you take two ? Might opt out on one. I forgot the card at one game this year and missed others attendance on one is low.

They took both our Shane Carthy's MICK!!! BOTH OF THEM!!!

Even the good one!

They are three good players, particularly Vincent's Carthy. Howard arriving in would impact on all of those lads, particularly reddin and SB Carthy

Where is O'Carroll now ?

And is your man O'Brien from the 2013 team over there too, is Sean George there too ?

FFS that would be the basis of a decent team

I know I'm wrong here as some are mostly not in the states now or not playing but

Defense

Rory O'Carroll, S O'Brien, Sean George

HB line

Reddin

Midfield

E O'C and Shane Carty

Forwards

Connelly, S B Carthy

• Advertisement

I know I'm wrong here as some are mostly not in the states now or not playing but

Defense

HB line

Reddin

Midfield

E O'C and Shane Carty

Forwards

Connelly, S B Carthy

Shane Supple in goals.

Isn't Tomas Quinn still playing club football?

blanch152 wrote:
    Shane Supple in goals.

blanch152 wrote:

He is but aren't the above mostly in or heading to the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Shane Supple in goals.

Ah Shane has bigger fish to fry now .. half a chance he'll deputise as Randolphs No.2 for the soccer team by the looks of it ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Even the good one!

They are three good players, particularly Vincent's Carthy. Howard arriving in would impact on all of those lads, particularly reddin and SB Carthy

Where is O'Carroll now ?

And is your man O'Brien from the 2013 team over there too, is Sean George there too ?

FFS that would be the basis of a decent team

KOB playing in London. He played with their county team for a while last year . Last heard Rory OCarroll was working as social worker in women prison in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Defense

HB line

Reddin

Midfield

E O'C and Shane Carty

Forwards

Connelly, S B Carthy

Eoin Cullingan also part of senior panel in 2015 has transferred to play club football in London.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Had similar problems with renewing the PP. Went through eventually but my details haven't changed since I originally got one 10 years ago.

I hope some Prince in a far off country is not selling tickets on ebay :)

Sorted today but ended up in 308

He is but aren't the above mostly in or heading to the USA

All part of the plan to knock Mayo out in the preliminaries next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Gael85 wrote: »
    Last heard Rory OCarroll was working as social worker in women prison in New Zealand.

Jaysus, that be some job :)

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote:
    All part of the plan to knock Mayo out in the preliminaries next summer.

That would be something

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement