Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Gael85 wrote: »

Ah ffs reading that has left me feeling ****ty about everything I’ve ever done. In fairness he must have a seriously strong personality to have walked away from a winning team and then to have stayed away and done his own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Another huge win for the 21s hurlers.

Far be it from me to be optimistic but this is one serious team. Will take a really good side to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

salmocab wrote: »
    Ah ffs reading that has left me feeling ****ty about everything I’ve ever done. In fairness he must have a seriously strong personality to have walked away from a winning team and then to have stayed away and done his own thing.

I seem to remember hearing that he had decided if he got one more concussion he was going to call it a day on inter county

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

salmocab wrote: »

Really annoys the bejebus out of me, when ignorant twats throw out that nonsense that the Dubs are all professional GAA players and that none of them work for a living. It's such an insult to the likes of Rory who was working with disadvantaged and drug addicted Tusla youths, when he was in college and before he left for NZ. I knew he trained to be a social worker and did voluntary work with homeless shelters, but I didn't know the full extent of it.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I seem to remember hearing that he had decided if he got one more concussion he was going to call it a day on inter county

That match must have made him think. He and Jonny Cooper were totally out of it for last 10 minutes. Mayo were ruthless in taking them down, and Dublin arguably equally so in leaving chaps on the pitch when they should have been taken off for their own safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Bonniedog wrote: »
    That match must have made him think. He and Jonny Cooper were totally out of it for last 10 minutes. Mayo were ruthless in taking them down, and Dublin arguably equally so in leaving chaps on the pitch when they should have been taken off for their own safety.

He was concussed against Donegal in 2011 too and got bad bang against Mayo 2015 when elbowed by Cillian O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I've nothing but the greatest of admiration for Rory O Carroll,such a selfless decision.

ProudDUB pretty much summed up the wonderful work he had chosen to undertake for those less fortunate in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

seligehgit wrote: »
    I've nothing but the greatest of admiration for Rory O Carroll,such a selfless decision.

ProudDUB pretty much summed up the wonderful work he had chosen to undertake for those less fortunate in life.

It is a bit sickening though talented footballer and hurler, humanitarian,
    and fluent in Irish...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_O%27Carroll

I do have one gripe though why his mother had to call one Ross and another Rory?
    Did she not think of the trouble it would cause on the match programmes?

I was always getting them mixed up!

R. O'Carroll... which one?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It is a bit sickening though talented footballer and hurler, humanitarian,
    and fluent in Irish...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_O%27Carroll

I do have one gripe though why his mother had to call one Ross and another Rory?
    Did she not think of the trouble it would cause on the match programmes?

I was always getting them mixed up!

R. O'Carroll... which one?

Ha! I used to get them mixed up with Ross McConnell, but I am in early stages of dementia most like :)

Interesting fact about Rory is that Gilroy wouldn't allow him to play for the 21 hurlers in 2010 Leinster final. Not inconceivable that Dublin would have won All Ireland 21 hurling that year with Rory and others who were forced to choose football.

Now Gilroy is the senior hurling manager! Life is strange ...

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Ha! I used to get them mixed up with Ross McConnell, but I am in early stages of dementia most like :)

Interesting fact about Rory is that Gilroy wouldn't allow him to play for the 21 hurlers in 2010 Leinster final. Not inconceivable that Dublin would have won All Ireland 21 hurling that year with Rory and others who were forced to choose football.

Now Gilroy is the senior hurling manager! Life is strange ...

He was another one to add to the confusion for me when added to the O'Carrolls.
    Didn't know that 2010 Gilroy thing.

Of course Peadar Andrews and Paddy Andrews - might as well have been the same person for me, until I got used to it.
    What is it with parents going for the same letters in first names?

He was another one to add to the confusion for me when added to the O'Carrolls.
    Didn't know that 2010 Gilroy thing.

Of course Peadar Andrews and Paddy Andrews - might as well have been the same person for me, until I got used to it.
    What is it with parents going for the same letters in first names?

He was told to either choose to play for 21 hurlers or be dropped from senior footballers.

Never really forgiven Gilroy for that, fkn petty thing to do. So there are other reasons Rory gave up. People have pride at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Galway 0-26 (26) Dublin 2-19 (25). Hurlers fall short again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah balls.

Not again !

Losing 3 games by a combined total of 4 pts.

Is this what being a Mayo supporter feels like? :(

It was nothing game in terms of outcome, but great performance. They are not far away from being real contenders. Need Crokes to win SHC so we have all the Cuala lads for the league!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Was anyone at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Cuala falling short of a big run in the all Ireland series would be beneficial for the senior side.

That's a very encouraging way to end the year.

Add a few pieces and another year down the road hopefully we'll see an improvement again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Didn't think Dublin losing three out of four games would ever make me happy, but being competitive in three games that we would have been hammered in last year and winning the fourth comprehensively gives me a fair bit of hope for the future. There's a definite sense of belief surrounding the lads out there, something that was rarer than hens teeth previously.

On to next year! Looking forward to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Split us in two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bret Hart wrote: »

Consensus is 4 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Is that 7 subs we have made?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

How many goal chances did we squander?

I'm not one to exaggerate, but at least 39.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Rafa Nadal in the tennis must think to himself now I know how the Dubs feel.

The funny thing is I bet Jim Gavin is not happy they were not as ruthless as usual.
    Seemed to switch off, maybe it was because of the heat and they couldn't be bothered?

Two keepers from both sides will be pleased.
    Comerford for the run out, and Collum for his performance in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Longford had good men in the square, but there should have been a couple more goals.
    Mannions goal was great.

They left the blood sub on for the whole game. They need to close that one out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Days like today really make me wish we'd spent more time getting Comerford up to speed in matches.

I know that he always really wants to, but did Cluxton really need to start today? Or against Wicklow?

Not saying Comerford is bad or anything, it's just we don't know how he'll be in the big games because we don't even see him in the little games.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Days like today really make me wish we'd spent more time getting Comerford up to speed in matches.

I know that he always really wants to, but did Cluxton really need to start today? Or against Wicklow?

Not saying Comerford is bad or anything, it's just we don't know how he'll be in the big games because we don't even see him in the little games.

I think it is the one mistake Gavin has done.
    I mean I know there is never going to be a direct replaement of Cluxton.
    But you would think that throwing Comeford in the less pressurised games with Cluxton's guidance in training is the way to go.

It would be way better then having a nervous keeper in big games, if Cluxton ever got injured.
    I think it is the one weakness this Dublin team have, if Cluxton is ever absent where is his back-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

At the time I thought the red card was harsh but in the cold dusk evening I think it was justified.
    Thought Cooper was lucky to stay on and Gavin rightly took him off before he was sent off.
    Thought Quinn should have seen yellow not black and McCormack should have got black at the end and there wasn't even a free!

Longford shouldn't fear too many in qualifiers and Dublin should have more than enough for Laois. I think Gavin will be annoyed with the wasted shots on goal that should've just been put over the bar.

Don't think Comerford did a lot wrong but Longford didnt really trouble him. I wish Cluxton a speedy recovery because Dublin will not retain the All Ireland unless he's playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

At the time I thought the red card was harsh but in the cold dusk evening I think it was justified.
    Thought Cooper was lucky to stay on and Gavin rightly took him off before he was sent off.
    Thought Quinn should have seen yellow not black and McCormack should have got black at the end and there wasn't even a free!

Longford shouldn't fear too many in qualifiers and Dublin should have more than enough for Laois. I think Gavin will be annoyed with the wasted shots on goal that should've just been put over the bar.

Don't think Comerford did a lot wrong but Longford didnt really trouble him. I wish Cluxton a speedy recovery because Dublin will not retain the All Ireland unless he's playing.

Looks like Agent Spillane is doing his best to get Cooper a little time off this summer. Why RTE allow him to continually do this is beyond a joke at this stage?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

JRant wrote: »
    Looks like Agent Spillane is doing his best to get Cooper a little time off this summer. Why RTE allow him to continually do this is beyond a joke at this stage?
    Hardly? Absolutely everything he said was justified, Cooper definitely should have got a red today, A nasty player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

JRant wrote: »

I agree Spillane does overdo it - a la Connolly last year - but then and now unfortunately he's right. If they did not commit these transgressions then he wouldn't have anything to rant about..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement