Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Delighted with that. Yeah only Leinster Championship, yeah only Westmeath but that was Dublin of old. Runners coming from ****ing everywhere and all of them at ridiculous pace. Haven't seen us move the ball that fast or that well in ages. All the lads you'd want to make a statement did.

The siege mentality Gavin is cultivating can't be a bad thing. Dublin made a statement today and i expect they're quite keen to keep making statements. We have Pat Spillane to thank lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Slattsy wrote: »
    Quality stuff lads!

Down beat Monaghan. ****ing hell. What side of the pot do Monaghan go into?

The other side Slatts AFAIK, Mayo, Donegal & Monaghan so far

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

corny wrote: »
    Delighted with that. Yeah only Leinster Championship, yeah only Westmeath but that was Dublin of old. Runners coming from ****ing everywhere and all of them at ridiculous pace. Haven't seen us move the ball that fast or that well in ages. All the lads you'd want to make a statement did.

The siege mentality Gavin is cultivating can't be a bad thing. Dublin made a statement today and i expect they're quite keen to keep making statements. We have Pat Spillane to thank lads.

Just seen Joe and Dessie calling out Spillane on TSG. Cahill didn't know what to say to them, was quality stuff.

Not only did we make a statement today but look at the players who drove us on today, Lowndes, Carthy, Mannion, Fenton and Kilkenny were superb. That's a team of young lads that absolutely tore WM a new one today. No messing around just direct football with unreal interplay.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Westmeath were on the the road for their third week in a row, very hard going for them and they were cleaned out at midfield even though they had Heslin but he was in the forwards.

Overall I liked the attitude. I can't read more into it than that regarding the scoring or defending.

Was delighted to see Howard coming on. The current U21 team will feed more than a couple of lads into this team I think.

I was happy with Scully and I thought Brogan was good again when he came on. Mannion was very good, and from the start too.

Kilkenny looked good today and I'm tempted to add something about the shape of the half-forward line but I won't.

Couple of things I though were strange was leaving O'Sullivan on and Flynn not getting a run.

JRant wrote: »
    Not only did we make a statement today but look at the players who drove us on today, Lowndes, Carthy, Mannion, Fenton and Kilkenny were superb. That's a team of young lads that absolutely tore WM a new one today. No messing around just direct football with unreal interplay.

Yeah thats why i'm delighted. I wasn't sure if the younger lads could carry the torch. Now you'd have to be hopeful they'd be capable of making their own mark after a display like that.

Scully didn't quite hit Paul Flynn of 5 years ago levels of grass coverage but by jesus did he get close. He was everywhere. Intelligent player to boot.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Westmeath were on the the road for their third week in a row, very hard going for them and they were cleaned out at midfield even though they had Heslin but he was in the forwards.

Overall I liked the attitude. I can't read more into it than that regarding the scoring or defending.

Was delighted to see Howard coming on. The current U21 team will feed more than a couple of lads into this team I think.

I was happy with Scully and I thought Brogan was good again when he came on. Mannion was very good, and from the start too.

Kilkenny looked good today and I'm tempted to add something about the shape of the half-forward line but I won't.

Couple of things I though were strange was leaving O'Sullivan on and Flynn not getting a run.

You're ruining my buzz Stoner. Be more positive will ye.;)

corny wrote:
    You're ruining my buzz Stoner. Be more positive will ye.

Ok Mannions last score was something else. I hope he starts at 12 from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ok Mannions last score was something else. I hope he starts at 12 from now on.

Mannion tends to be too easily kept quiet by the big mean defenders in the top teams, Lovely player to watch when he has a bit of space though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was also impressed with the application Dublin showed.

However, its still hard not to feel like they could still be caught out later in the Championship. I would prefer that they get a Monaghan or Mayo in the quarters. It would really help bring them on for the Semi's.

Will Kildare really pose any real test ?

I know they can only beat what is in front of them, its just a shame it will be so long until they are tested. Perhaps the Kerry defeat will spur them on to be downright ruthless for the entire championship.

That, coupled with the perceived grievance about Connolly might be enough. There is no doubt that this team is talented enough , I think they have shown some savage hunger. That's usually the problem with retaing titles!

Bambi wrote: »
    Mannion tends to be too easily kept quiet by the big mean defenders in the top teams, Lovely player to watch when he has a bit of space though.

I think he's a different animal since he returned from his year off. Thought he'd feature more last year. I guess most forwards are kept fairly quite these days in big games, Brogan, Gooch, AOS have all been limited to very low scores in big games, with 6 forwards a couple hitting form in a game is all you need these days IMO

• Advertisement

The top teams would've systematically fouled Mannion as soon as he got the ball .. Great to see the range of points he took yesterday but I wouldn't be holding out hope of a repeat performance, Kildare's defending was very good last time out, anything similar will curtail his influence. On the other hand I was really impressed with O'Gara's contribution yesterday in the face of greater physicality in the tackle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

DoctaDee wrote: »
    The top teams would've systematically fouled Mannion as soon as he got the ball .. Great to see the range of points he took yesterday but I wouldn't be holding out hope of a repeat performance, Kildare's defending was very good last time out, anything similar will curtail his influence. On the other hand I was really impressed with O'Gara's contribution yesterday in the face of greater physicality in the tackle

That just means his tally would have been down, and Rocks would have been up by the same amount.....

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Great performance yesterday, but WM were woeful. I'd love to see stats around their kickouts. They booted 90% plus long and we won more than our fair share. Lowndes was excellent and Philly might struggle to dislodge him. CK, Mannion and Fenton were the standouts for me.

A 31 point win, while satisfying from a performance aspect, really shows that the championship structure is a mess, and needs serious reform.

Jaden wrote: »
    That just means his tally would have been down, and Rocks would have been up by the same amount.....

Yeah agreed, but the optics of it would've been completely different. Mannions biggest fault in my eyes is over carrying into the tackle, that didn't happen for a couple of reasons yesterday and now we have a fella who'll be full of confidence next time out - it could be short lived depending on how Kildare approach the threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

The thing is mannion wont need to score eight against tyrone, kerry, galway... maybe just three. Con might only nredc 3 or 4. If kilkenny and costello chip in with a few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yeah agreed, but the optics of it would've been completely different. Mannions biggest fault in my eyes is over carrying into the tackle, that didn't happen for a couple of reasons yesterday and now we have a fella who'll be full of confidence next time out - it could be short lived depending on how Kildare approach the threat.

Amen to that. But if they can get MDMA to stop doing it (he was a hoor for running into tackles), then they should be able to get Paul to do the same.

He won't get that space again this year, but a day like that will do wonders for his confidence.

The only player I was even slightly browned off about was Andrews. Stripped of the ball several times in the fist half, and again guilty of holding onto it too long. Still, he did show improvement. It might be a while before we see him back to his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I was surprised with Gavin's retort to the media yesterday. (In fact I thought Dublin actually looked a better team without Connolly.) In times gone by Gavin would have ignored the thing completely, I believe. It reminded me of the Liverpool - Luis Saurez debacle, and that was something I didn't expect as he is usually a lot cooler.

With rumors circulating about discontent in the Dublin management setup, you have to wonder what is going on, and is he facing maybe the first real bit of trouble of his tenure?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I was surprised with Gavin's retort to the media yesterday. (In fact I thought Dublin actually looked a better team without Connolly.) In times gone by Gavin would have ignored the thing completely, I believe. It reminded me of the Liverpool - Luis Saurez debacle, and that was something I didn't expect as he is usually a lot cooler.

With rumors circulating about discontent in the Dublin management setup, you have to wonder what is going on, and is he facing maybe the first real bit of trouble of his tenure?

Yeah we should probably draft AOS in to get his significant managerial experience on how to calm this situation. After managing Mayo for this past 2 years he must be a dap hand at the aul conflict resolution these days.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

corny wrote: »

We were talking before the game that they'd become a bit predictable and that other teams were starting to successfully adapt.

Well! They've refound their mojo! And Gavin's press conference is part of that. Same as Cody and Loughnane. Know when to up the ante.

I suspect as per usual you are attempting to stir things up as per your usual form. It's always the same with yourself, no real interest in football at all, more attempts to be negative or to diminish the achievements of another team.

Unfortunately you are quite skilled in how you go about it so we have to put up with it, the best we can hope for is that you are recognised for what you are and we'll just have to wait until you appear again in some other form.

• Advertisement

The only rumours of discontent are in your head. These are the Knights of Bushido. Be afraid, be very afraid :)

Lad's, stop quoting the peanut gallery.

Anywhoo, Hurlers drawn against Laois. Probably the kindest draw we could have hoped for but still would not be over confident given how things are now. Laois will smell blood and they're hardy bucks

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Well! They've refound their mojo! And Gavin's press conference is part of that. Same as Cody and Loughnane. Know when to up the ante.

Kevin Cassidy, not our Donegal fan's favourite reporter suggested that yesterday performance was a statement by the Dublin team. McGuninness was an expert at this himself and maintained it from 2011 to AI success in 2012. Something like this is possibly required for this Dublin team at the moment.

What the half forward line was missing a bit of yesterday was the Connelly, Flynn options for the kick out. Although it was not needed because the opposition fell over where the top teams wont. Kilkenny staying in position helped but he does not field the ball as well as DC or Flynn imo.

I didn't expect to see Howard until next year but hes an option here too.

Another thing about Mannion, he's scored winning goals in U21 finals twice, he scored a very good goal against Kerry in 2013. He really only physically matured last year. Remember how long it took B Brogan and Andrews to develop physically for the serious end of the championship. He'll be harder to push off the ball now than he was in 2014 and 2015. He's only about the same age now that B Brogan was when he landed on the team

I think he might have a decent season, I still think it's too early for Scully and he's being given championship time for his development.

Has Reddin been dropped now? I thought he'd made the cut this year? With Carthy coming on ( I see these two as similar options for Gavin) it does not look good for him.

O'Gara's goal looked great from where i was sitting, looked less impressive on TV. He was very much just shooting at any opportunity yesterday, he got is usual yellow card for his standard tackle too. Can't help being reminded of Aidan O'Sheas goal against Sligo, I guess you get them against division 4 teams, but he really does change things up when he comes on, but the lads just stopped feeding him yesterday as the shots were on without having to pass it into him.

Another thing about Mannion, he's scored winning goals in U21 finals twice, he scored a very good goal against Kerry in 2013. He really only physically matured last year. .

And that cracker against Donegal last year, solo'd it from the 45

I am old enough to remember when the day after the 1983 final Heffo in response to question about Dublin being dirty responded with "Galway came up to kick us and we didn't let them down."

Good to see that spirit survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Has Reddin been dropped now? I thought he'd made the cut this year? With Carthy coming on ( I see these two as similar options for Gavin) it does not look good for him.

Reddin wasn't listed in the subs, but was wearing no 27 in the warm up. Carthy looks like he's passed Reddin by.

I suspect as per usual you are attempting to stir things up as per your usual form. It's always the same with yourself, no real interest in football at all, more attempts to be negative or to diminish the achievements of another team.

Unfortunately you are quite skilled in how you go about it so we have to put up with it, the best we can hope for is that you are recognised for what you are and we'll just have to wait until you appear again in some other form.

Sorry but you are talking nonsense. The all Ireland champions and team going for 3 in a row have had their manager come out with a bit of a tirade against the media. This is a topic that people are interested in and are going to speak about, whether you like it or not. It is frankly ludicrous to suggest that anyone mentioning this topic on a forum is only out to make trouble. What is your alternative? That it isn't mentioned by the sounds of things.

If it was, say alex ferguson in his heyday, this would be on the back of every paper, indeed, kevin keegan done a similar thing and it is now what he is most remembered for. But no no, its not news when it happens in dublin and anyone trying to even mention it is only out to make trouble.
    Are you for real like?

It is actually yourself who doesn't seem to want to talk about the football, you try to deflect onto the poster instead of the genuine issue that is up for discussion. Trying to silence people who you don't agree with, isn't modding. The thing is, if you stopped trying to control what people speak about, and just discuss the thing like any other story, it would be over and done with relatively quickly, because there actually is no big conspiracy, just people interested in the football news story of the day.

Also, for anyone that hasn't heard about the rumors of discontent, read tomas o'se's interview from late last week.

JRant wrote: »
    Yeah we should probably draft AOS in to get his significant managerial experience on how to calm this situation. After managing Mayo for this past 2 years he must be a dap hand at the aul conflict resolution these days.

The only man to bring the dubs to a replay in an AI final in fairness to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Sorry but you are talking nonsense. The all Ireland champions and team going for 3 in a row have had their manager come out with a bit of a tirade against the media. This is a topic that people are interested in and are going to speak about, whether you like it or not. It is frankly ludicrous to suggest that anyone mentioning this topic on a forum is only out to make trouble. What is your alternative? That it isn't mentioned by the sounds of things.

If it was, say alex ferguson in his heyday, this would be on the back of every paper, indeed, kevin keegan done a similar thing and it is now what he is most remembered for. But no no, its not news when it happens in dublin and anyone trying to even mention it is only out to make trouble.
    Are you for real like?

It is actually yourself who doesn't seem to want to talk about the football, you try to deflect onto the poster instead of the genuine issue that is up for discussion. Trying to silence people who you don't agree with, isn't modding. The thing is, if you stopped trying to control what people speak about, and just discuss the thing like any other story, it would be over and done with relatively quickly, because there actually is no big conspiracy, just people interested in the football news story of the day.

Also, for anyone that hasn't heard about the rumors of discontent, read tomas o'se's interview from late last week.

lol
    Sign of how far we've come when the ex Kerry players are indulging in this. Certainly beats 30 years of being patronised by them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

With rumors circulating about discontent in the Dublin management setup, you have to wonder what is going on
    No I don't

is he facing maybe the first real bit of trouble of his tenure?
    No

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement