Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

CatInABox wrote: »
    The Wexford win had the rare sight of the Wexford keeper getting forward and nailing an excellent point.

https://twitter.com/DubMatchTracker/status/1008023675700989952

Some point. Got to have some amount of confidence to back yourself like that.

And a complete lack of discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Are teams allowed to augment their named championship panels once it starts?

Bunyan from Scoil and a McCarthy or Carthy played in goal in O'Byrne but that was their only run outs.

That John Brian Carthy from St Judes. Son of RTE commentator Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Spillane writing off Dublin’s chances today in the Sunday World as he felt they where lackluster against Longford last week. Some fool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

C__MC wrote: »
    Spillane writing off Dublin’s chances today in the Sunday World as he felt they where lackluster against Longford last week. Some fool

I imagine he thinks he’s playing the cute hoor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

Connolly could be kicking his heels all summer by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

If Dublin do meet them in semi final or final you will see the true Mephistophelian heart of Kerry football.

There is nothing they will not resort to in order to stop Dublin. Nothing, and it has clearly begun already. Hopefully, someone else will dispose of them first. We don't need to be dragged into the gutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

If Dublin do meet them in semi final or final you will see the true Mephistophelian heart of Kerry football.

Mephistophelian? Going the operatic route? Another poster chiming in with more hot air!! Wait till the fat lady sings.

IRE60 wrote: »
    Mephistophelian? Going the operatic route? Another poster chiming in with more hot air!! Wait till the fat lady sings.

Fat Lady at full forward? Worth a try I suppose. Nothing else has worked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hey, don't blame us if we are too cultured for our own good sometimes. It's hardly our fault we are the market leaders in literary erudition. :D

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Hey, don't blame us if we are too cultured for our own good sometimes.

Absolutely! Love a blast of German opera before heading to the hill - sets me up proper - can't get the tunes out of my head all day.

• Advertisement

Oh, I've watched many a three act opera from the Hill. The ones involving Mayo tend to have wonderfully happy endings. 'One Fine Day' as our good friend Giacomo Puccini was wont to say !

Fukc, I seen that opera! Isn't that the one where the pretenders to the crown hadn't the gonads to kill the king - bottled it. One prince three times, by a point on each occasion
    The other court jester lost by three - tres embarrassing, tres! (Hat tip to Del Boy)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cmere, did you see the crap he wrote in April.
    Pat Spillane: For whatever reason, there is a vulnerability about Dublin on big final days in Croke Park

Pat Spillane has hailed Dublin as one of the three best GAA outfits he has ever seen - but thinks they have a 'vulnerability' when they play in national finals.

Spillane ranks Jim Gavin's team alongside his Kerry crop and Brian Cody's Kilkenny as the best ever but added that there are one or two rays of hope for rivals ahead of the 2018 championship.

Dubin are heavy favourites to complete an All-Ireland four in-a-row after winning another league title this spring, vanquishing a coming Galway side in the final at Croke Park last Sunday.

However, despite seemingly pulling further away from the chasing pack, Spillane has voiced a word of caution.

Writing in his Sunday World column today, the Kerry legend says Dublin have 'vulnerability' in finals, having not trounced an opponent in a September decider in a manner which was customary for the Kingdom during Mick O'Dwyer's time in charge.

"There is no doubt that if you can bully Dublin, get at them physically and run at their defence, they can be rattled," he said.

"And I believe their fullback line is vulnerable to aerial bombardment.

"For whatever reason, there is a vulnerability about them on big days in Croke Park. Look at their record in their last five national finals: two one-point wins, one draw and one loss by a point and they were slightly flattered by last Sunday's four-point victory.

"Essentially, in the big matches they are not pulling away from their opponents."

This was from April.

What a bloody spoofer.

Anyone got today's?

Pat Spillane in The Sunday Wurrild?

I would not insult my posterior by wiping it with it.

#BumsHaveFeelingsToo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

He loves the phrase "rattle the Dubs" doesn't he. There's never been a more resilient team in adversity yet he still clings to the belief Dublin are naturally fragile. Stupefying ignorance.

He does love that phrase, doesn't he? Along with "pace and intinsity and athleticism" after yet another Dublin win. The typical Kerry mans way of dismissing the oppositions success as glorified gym monkeys, possessing about as much innate skill as a potted plant.

(Unless you're a durty nardrinner obviously. Then you're on to Advanced Level Spillane.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This was posted over in the infrastructure forum there, thought that it should go in here too. It's an update on the Metrolink/Na Fianna situation.

https://twitter.com/PaulMcauliffe/status/1009097011621187584

While the tunnel portal most likely won't go there anymore, they're still looking at putting the station in there somewhere, but the length of construction is tiny in comparison to the previously proposed tunnel portal.

This was posted over in the infrastructure forum there, thought that it should go in here too. It's an update on the Metrolink/Na Fianna situation.

While the tunnel portal most likely won't go there anymore, they're still looking at putting the station in there somewhere, but the length of construction is tiny in comparison to the previously proposed tunnel portal.

Good news.

Good news.

Why?

Why?

It will stop the destruction of one of the mainstays of the community in that area. Fact that they can change their plans demonstrates that they paid little or no consideration to local concerns before deciding on them.

Hopefully, more people will stand up to the consequences of this mad 2040 Project they intend to foist upon us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nice write up on Jim Gavins thoughts on Evan Comerford in the Irish Times.

Conforms Alan Bunyan as the third goalkeeper, or at least that's the way it reads to me.
    Dublin do use a third goalkeeper, Andy Bunyan, but the pressure will be on Comerford, should he start, to dictate Dublin’s game the way Cluxton does: again Gavin sounded unconcerned. “When any player isn’t available to us, the next player needs to step up. So the team has been always adaptable to players that we have or haven’t. It’s just you need to move on.”

It will stop the destruction of one of the mainstays of the community in that area. Fact that they can change their plans demonstrates that they paid little or no consideration to local concerns before deciding on them.

Hopefully, more people will stand up to the consequences of this mad 2040 Project they intend to foist upon us.

They were temporarily digging up a football pitch attached to a private club of 3000 members to ensure better transport infrastructure for the entire city and environs of 1.5million people and the rest. I couldn't give a crap about their so-called "place in the community".

As well as that, how many bloody pitches do they need? I'm sure they'll stop using the ones up in Northwood (I think) and Albert College Park now, so that they can use their precious Mobhí Road cultural institution.

They are changing their plans because this is what you do during a public consultation; you consult he public. Yourself and others like Noel Rock conveniently keep forgetting why we have this process.

Just so you know, as a result, this new single bore tunnel will be more expensive to build as a result and will have other complications involved with it and I'm sure people will complain about the waste in a few years when they conveniently forget why this happened.

This whole thing stinks and personally, if Na Fianna folded tomorrow I'd pop some bubbly. Just the Thomas Davis of the Northside now is all they are.

And what's mad about improving transport infrastructure?

It takes me an hour to travel 8miles on a bus every morning. An hour. In no other city in Europe is that acceptable and and it's NIMBYism like this that yet again scuppers improvements.

So you would prefer that Na Fianna disappear so you spend ten minutes less getting to work. And you accuse others of selfishness!

You should read Project 2040.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So you would prefer that Na Fianna disappear so you spend ten minutes less getting to work. And you accuse others of selfishness!

That isn't what he said.

Some inconvenience for 3000 members of a sporting club who can be accommodated elsewhere is less important than improving the lives of over a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

They were temporarily digging up a football pitch attached to a private club of 3000 members to ensure better transport infrastructure for the entire city and environs of 1.5million people and the rest. I couldn't give a crap about their so-called "place in the community".

As well as that, how many bloody pitches do they need? I'm sure they'll stop using the ones up in Northwood (I think) and Albert College Park now, so that they can use their precious Mobhí Road cultural institution.

They are changing their plans because this is what you do during a public consultation; you consult he public. Yourself and others like Noel Rock conveniently keep forgetting why we have this process.

Just so you know, as a result, this new single bore tunnel will be more expensive to build as a result and will have other complications involved with it and I'm sure people will complain about the waste in a few years when they conveniently forget why this happened.

This whole thing stinks and personally, if Na Fianna folded tomorrow I'd pop some bubbly. Just the Thomas Davis of the Northside now is all they are.

It takes me an hour to travel 8miles on a bus every morning. An hour. In no other city in Europe is that acceptable and and it's NIMBYism like this that yet again scuppers improvements.

Na Fianna doesn't have enough pitches and they can't be accommodated elsewhere. Mobhi Road is the only AW pitch available to members and a lot of teams are already using parent funds to pay for winter training on other pitches as there isn't enough capacity on Mobhi Road between October and late March.

Furthermore, Mobhi Road is where the Nursery takes place on a Saturday morning. There isn't enough space to accommodate so many kids on any of the other pitches to which Na Fianna has access. And even if there was sufficient capacity, the attraction of the Nursery is that it is a walk for most local people, rather than them having to drive up to Colinstown near the airport or wherever.

For me, this is not about the senior and older teenage teams, but more about the hundreds of kids that show up to the Nursery on a Saturday and to training on cold nights during the winter. Let's be honest, unless the kids are talented, the parents are not going to send them anywhere unless there's a really simple option available. And GAA clubs (not just Na Fianna) are a lot more welcoming and accommodating than other sports for kids that are less skillful.

And living in the area, I can tell you that the school beside Na Fianna kicked up an even bigger stink about the plans than the GAA club.

My commute in any city od equivance would be around 25min. That'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You obviously know little or nothing about why the community objected.

Firstly: 'temporary' is a bit vague to describe a ten year construction project.

Second: it wasnt just Na Fianna that objected. if anything the greater and more powerful, and more relevant objection came from the two adjacent schools - a primary school and secondary school that were for all intents and purposes being shut down by the proposal.

Third - nobody in the community was opposed to the route. Nobody in the community is denying you your shorter commute.

The objection was the use of Na FIanna as a boring tunnel entry point, when there were alternatives that were far less disruptive to anyone; as has been shown in the response from Metrolink. There is nothing unreasonable about that.

There will still be a metro. There will still be a metro stop on Mobhi Road.

But why bother with details...........

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    You obviously know little or nothing about why the community objected.

Firstly: 'temporary' is a bit vague to describe a ten year construction project.

Second: it wasnt just Na Fianna that objected. if anything the greater and more powerful, and more relevant objection came from the two adjacent schools - a primary school and secondary school that were for all intents and purposes being shut down by the proposal.

Third - nobody in the community was opposed to the route. Nobody in the community is denying you your shorter commute.

The objection was the use of Na FIanna as a boring tunnel entry point, when there were alternatives that were far less disruptive to anyone; as has been shown in the response from Metrolink. There is nothing unreasonable about that.

There will still be a metro. There will still be a metro stop on Mobhi Road.

But why bother with details...........

Details? What details were missing that there was a hullabaloo of vested local interests who attempted to scupper a nationally important project because of of some easily solved localised issues.

Far less disruptive in what sense? Do you think that they chose that site for the craic?
    You seem to think that I want to ride roughshod over locals when nationally important projects are in train, and you'd be right.

Of course. "it wasn't just na Fianna rejecting", of course not, but it was them doing the cheerleading.

Anyway, we're were we are. And it stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Details? What details were missing that there was a hullabaloo of vested local interests who attempted to scupper a nationally important project because of of some easily solved localised issues.

Far less disruptive in what sense? Do you think that they chose that site for the craic?
    You seem to think that I want to ride roughshod over locals when nationally important projects are in train, and you'd be right.

Of course. "it wasn't just na Fianna rejecting", of course not, but it was them doing the cheerleading.

Anyway, we're were we are. And it stinks.

You are having a laugh with your terminology

'Vested local interests' makes it sound like its a couple of councillors taking backhanders - when actually what your talking about is several hundred school kids walking to school through a massive construction site every day.

Temporarary - its not 6 months. Its a Decade.

Cheerleading - people protecting themselves.

You've said it yourself. You are happy to ride roughshod over locals. Nice one, good for you. Thats not how our society works. If you dont like it go live in North Korea.

As for 'scuppering a nationally important project' complete bull - the alternative proposal to use one Boring tunnel instead of two means that the project gets completed as proposed, but in a less disruptive way.

You seem to think that this project is of value only if people suffer for it. Would you prefer if they nobbled Vincents and Erins Isle too? Would that make it more satisfactory for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Part of me thinks wouldn't it be great of they got the Meath team to do the digging in full kit - in a chain gang?
    Might toughen them up a bit and re-ignite leinster?
    Sure they are doing nothing now anyway... ;)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement