Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The real "vested interests" behind all this are IBEC, the construction industry and property developers.

The "vision" is the creation of a low wage high density high rise city based on the planned further immigration of at least 400,000.

Dublin is not going to become any more pleasant over the next 20 years, you may be certain of that. The manner in which the community around Mobhi Road and other parts of the city are having highly disruptive developments foisted on them is proof of that.

Anyone who thinks that the people who almost destroyed the country, and are now back in the saddle, are consumed with a desire to reduce bonniesituation's commute might be surprised that they are not!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Speculation about players personal lives isn't allowed - would advise that you read the forum charter before posting again

Big game in Parnell tonight for the under 21 hurlers against Wexford in Leinster semi final. They have done really well this year to date, both in challenges against some of the Munster contenders and easily winning their first two games.

Dublin were a bit ahead of Wexford at minor level and have a fair bit of inter county senior experience within the panel. Should be enough to account for the Wexicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Big game in Parnell tonight for the under 21 hurlers against Wexford in Leinster semi final. They have done really well this year to date, both in challenges against some of the Munster contenders and easily winning their first two games.

Dublin were a bit ahead of Wexford at minor level and have a fair bit of inter county senior experience within the panel. Should be enough to account for the Wexicans.

Financial doping should get us over the line tonight.

Looks like a really strong team. If they win tonight they are guaranteed an AI semi final spot, win or lose in the final. So a lot at stake. Someone was saying that all of the starting line up got a run at some stage with the seniors, even if for one or two it was challenges or Walsh Cup. Makes them one of the more experienced sides in the competition and they have the benefit of the senior's training and conditioning too. Actually fancy them to win with a bit in hand tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    You are having a laugh with your terminology

I am not. This is the same NIMBY crap that means we have a disjointed [insert anything about Dublin or Ireland].

The country lurches from project to project with on e man and his dog holding it up for everyone else.
    'Vested local interests' makes it sound like its a couple of councillors taking backhanders - when actually what your talking about is several hundred school kids walking to school through a massive construction site every day.

Might sound like that to you. But to me it just sounds like a bunch of locals who are getting their way and F everyone else in the city.

When the moaning from the locals in the area came out with all their "Won't someone think of the children" schtick did they honestly think that that the NTA were arriving with trucks the next week to bulldoze their kids out of it. This was the initial public consultation and it was handled like it was a fait accompli. Accommodations were always going to be made to minimise disruption for EVERYONE. The disruption that would have been felt would not have meant the end of Na Fianna or Scoil Caitriona et al, but you woudln't have guessed it from the lack of understanding of the process from the people carping on about it in the locality.
    Temporarary - its not 6 months. Its a Decade.

It's not forever and the club and schools woudl have had serious financial and facility accommodations made for them. You'd swear we were bringing back the hedge schools.
    Cheerleading - people protecting themselves.

Protecting themselves from what? Mass Public transportation systems? Yeah. We're good at that. See Paschals intervention in East Wall for Dart Underground.
    You've said it yourself. You are happy to ride roughshod over locals. Nice one, good for you. Thats not how our society works. If you dont like it go live in North Korea.

3000 members of a private sports club vs. 1.5million citizens of the GDA... Hmmmm I think I know who should be winning this one.
    As for 'scuppering a nationally important project' complete bull - the alternative proposal to use one Boring tunnel instead of two means that the project gets completed as proposed, but in a less disruptive way.

Less disruptive on this end for those locals but other things come into play wrt engineering challenges of single bore tunnelling.

Sometimes it's best to disrupt at the beginning and get it over with. Look at what LCC was like for Dublin since 2014.
    You seem to think that this project is of value only if people suffer for it. Would you prefer if they nobbled Vincents and Erins Isle too? Would that make it more satisfactory for you?

I think the project is of value because the city is grinding to a halt in front of my eyes. And we need this 10 years ago.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    The real "vested interests" behind all this are IBEC, the construction industry and property developers.

Builders in wanting to build shocker.
    The "vision" is the creation of a low wage high density high rise city based on the planned further immigration of at least 400,000.

Do you think it's better that we keep sprawling the city outwards like a pancake? We NEED high rise so so badly.
    Dublin is not going to become any more pleasant over the next 20 years, you may be certain of that. The manner in which the community around Mobhi Road and other parts of the city are having highly disruptive developments foisted on them is proof of that.

Foisted?

Low density development near the city is the reason that this city has become a nightmare. We need high rise and transportation links. And we need it now.

nyone who thinks that the people who almost destroyed the country, and are now back in the saddle, are consumed with a desire to reduce bonniesituation's commute might be surprised that they are not!

What are you on about?

---

Anyway, I had to respond, but there's a Commuter and Transport board if ye wanna get involved in the appropriate schpot:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055849587&page=452

---

Now for Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Financial doping should get us over the line tonight.

Financial doping my ar$e.

We lost- 3.15 to 3.12.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Never seen such a game of two halves. Dublin looked slick and comfortable playing against the breeze in the first half. Well worth their lead. Wexford came out in the second half and just blew us away with their work rate. Disappointing we didn't respond.

Sh1t year. Nothing to say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭High Fidelity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Great news. G'wan Berno!

Meanwhile, in other news, its never too early to start your Christmas shopping.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/google-to-challenge-amazon-in-irish-market-with-launch-of-its-smart-speakers-here-37031869.html
    For example, saying “okay Google, what’s the craic?” elicits responses from the machine such as “whenever we hang out, the craic always hits 90” or “I’m grand, just hanging out in the cloud, let me know if I can help you with anything.”

There’s even a sly dig at County Mayo. Using the phrase “okay Google, Mayo for Sam?” elicits the response: “yeah, right.”

That's Xmas prezzies for the Mayo rellies sorted so.

Edit: I don't actually have any Mayo rellies. (Thank God, sez you.) Can I borrow someone elses? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bernard back training, very amazing, i still think it will be August myself.

Great news, a few had noticed a different type of style from him in the league early this year. His flicks to men running onto the ball were Sherlockishl

ProudDUB wrote:
    Edit: I don't actually have any Mayo rellies. (Thank God, sez you.) Can I borrow someone elses?

I've married into some Mayo and Donegal blood, resulting in children having great grannies from Mayo and grandfather's from Donegal.
    Fortunately all the Mayo relatives escaped to better lives in Dublin and the USA so we've none left there now.
    Thanks be to God,
    will never have to bump into PARlance at a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Stoner wrote: »
    Great news, a few had noticed a different type of style from him in the league early this year. His flicks to men running onto the ball were Sherlockishl

BB set up James McCarthy for a vital score in last year AI final. He wouldn't have passed that 2/3 years ago.

Gael85 wrote:
    BB set up James McCarthy for a vital score in last year AI final. He wouldn't have passed that 2/3 years ago.

That was an accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I nearly forgot the Dubs were playing this weekend until someone said "are you going on Sunday?"

I had to think for a few seconds.
    What's on Sunday?
    Mass - no not a normal outing
    Soccer - no decent games on?

Oh yeah the Kildare v Meath leinster junior football final is on.
    I am going to that for some reason.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

What time is Jimmy Keaveney getting his award at, presume its just before the senior match?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭High Fidelity

yobr wrote: »
    What time is Jimmy Keaveney getting his award at, presume its just before the senior match?

Half time i think.

Only ever come close to being in a car crash once. T'was on that road up from Portmarnock station, with the sharp turns left/right to Balgriffin/Kinsealy. I took a corner a tad too sharply and nearly went head first into an oncoming car that was going the opposite direction. If the other driver wasn't paying attention, I would have nailed him. Only realized when I was over the shock, that it was Jimmy Keavney. To say I nearly died again from the shock, would be an understatement ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Only ever come close to being in a car crash once. T'was on that road up from Portmarnock station, with the sharp turns left/right to Balgriffin/Kinsealy. I took a corner a tad too sharply and nearly went head first into an oncoming car that was going the opposite direction. If the other driver wasn't paying attention, I would have nailed him. Only realized when I was over the shock, was that it was Jimmy Keavney. To say I nearly died again from the shock, would be an understatement ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can see the headlines now: ProudDUB kills Proud Dub

That road is a gowl. Done similar mesmelf.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's a hoor of a road alright. The brothers response when I told him was "Well, at least we know what to put on your tombstone now - Keaveney Killer. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Cluxton named, whether he starts is another question.

https://twitter.com/DubMatchTracker/status/1010477989832818688

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

A bit of revenge for underage hurling V Wexford today. Dublin through to the Leinster Minor final.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

This heat is going to be a huge factor in the last 10 or 15 minutes. The Laois lads will shattered and can see us running up a huge score late on, if we want to of course.

Never mind Laois! Standing on Hill be like being a chicken on a barbeque.

Brother was saying he got text from someone that there is to be another in the series of rounds of applause today on 48 minutes. What's it about this time?

Bonniedog wrote:
    Brother was saying he got text from someone that there is to be another in the series of rounds of applause today on 48 minutes. What's it about this time?

No idea but I'm ignoring it, Facebook BS.

No idea but I'm ignoring it, Facebook BS.

Did some FB research and its in support of an enquiry into the Stardust fire in 1981.

I assume 48 is reference to amount of people killed. Perhaps I am cynical but I really don't see what this is supposed to achieve, nor its current relevance. More to do with certain chaps getting off on being able to create an "event."

Must stress that I do not mean any disrespect to the families of the victims of that horrendous tragedy. Not the time or place to be doing this stuff of which probably 90% of people there won't even know what it is for.

Narcissism I do believe is the correct phrase.

Bonniedog wrote:
    Narcissism I do believe is the correct phrase.

Digital narcissism!

• Advertisement

Digital narcissism!

Sounds like something you might have to go to confession for!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement