Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Did some FB research and its in support of an enquiry into the Stardust fire in 1981.

I assume 48 is reference to amount of people killed. Perhaps I am cynical but I really don't see what this is supposed to achieve, nor its current relevance. More to do with certain chaps getting off on being able to create an "event."

That it is in a nutshell. Winds me up they are trying to create a name for themselves, out of others misery.
    There is something really wrong about it.
    It is a step up from those poxy "look at me" wristbands for charity.
    Complete load of b0llix.

It is grand when it is just former player related. For example former full forward applause at the 14th minute or whatever.
    Now it is every feckin 'cause' that is 'trending'. Like that young fella (Bradley Lowry) that died from cancer from Sunderland!!!

Really annoys me if I am honest.
    When there is the applause I will be thinking:
    'What a shower of f**king eejits.
    Why don't they go on a march to the dail and forgo going to the game of they feel that strongly?'

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Absolute belter of a day out there. Getting the face burnt off me on Dollier. Looking forward to a sorcher in Croker & Jonny Cooper buck leppin' about the place like a frisky young colt, when even the spectators are starting to wilt. Up The Dubs !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Missed the game as was building up the brownie points at the flavours of fingal

Sounds like a great second half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Anyone see Small's foul I was in 302 so I didn't get a look. Must have been bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Anyone see Small's foul I was in 302 so I didn't get a look. Must have been bad.

It was a strange one it’s like he lashed out at the ball and his hand bounced up, think the whistle had gone anyway so he shouldn’t have been doing that anyway. I’m happy enough with a red for it, stupid as oppose to malicious but he ultimately hit him in the face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Shooting in first half was atrocious, and might have had 2/3 goals on top of the wides. Jack had two great chances in second half as well, but point taking was excellent. Could have beaten them by 35 points.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

salmocab wrote: »
    It was a strange one it’s like he lashed out at the ball and his hand bounced up, think the whistle had gone anyway so he shouldn’t have been doing that anyway. I’m happy enough with a red for it, stupid as oppose to malicious but he ultimately hit him in the face.

I have no problem with the red card either, but it really shows a lack of intelligence or composure from Small. Even if the whistle hadn't gone already, there's no upside to sticking your arm/hand in from that angle.

He's getting a reputation, and it's more than earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Small couldn't have lasted more than 2 mins from the time he came on? - doesn't need the rep he's getting and will find it increasingly difficult to get a start if Howard continues to flourish in the HB line (didn't see the sending off from the hill, but guessing it was deserved)

*Afterthought* Costello was excellent when he came on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Small couldn't have lasted more than 2 mins from the time he came on? - doesn't need the rep he's getting and will find it increasingly difficult to get a start if Howard continues to flourish in the HB line (didn't see the sending off from the hill, but guessing it was deserved)

*Afterthought* Costello was excellent when he came on

Three minutes, according to the Indo.

Comerford also had a good game, was great to see him get proper match experience, even if he wasn't truly tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Where does Jack come back in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

That first half was rough. Soon as goal went in Dublin where all over place 7 or 8 wides in first half against Laois ridiculous. Missing the peno just rounded it all off.

Second half so much better and Jack was class when he came on. His pace is so dangerous.

Was delighted with the way we took our scores in second half every chance seemed to be going over.

Whatever about Laois in first half they where awful in second really bad.

Couldn't see the sending off from where I was but seemed like wasn't much resistance to the decision.

Anyway 8 in a row and delighted for Comerford!

Hopefully the first half was a wake up call for next game which I'm sure will be lot tougher!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Didn't see the sending off myself from upper reaches of the Hill, but nonetheless objected strongly :-)

Seriously though, in a game that was over at half time they don't need chaps doing that. He won't have done himself any favours with the management although he ticks a lot of the boxes necessary for the massive "physical" challenges that lie ahead. Good man to put aspirant hard men back in their box. And I suspect they shall require that over the next two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ah there was nothing malicious in what Small did. Stupid, yes, but not intentional. He tried to punch the ball loose and his fist bounced off the ball and straight into the mush. Definitely a red all the same.

This Provincial format is just not working. Too many teams shipping massive defeats. If that doesn't turn young lads off the game I don't know what will.

Laois, who are not a bad team for the level they are at, now head into the qualifiers with their moral shattered. What do games like that do for the sport as a whole?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

CatInABox wrote: »
    I have no problem with the red card either, but it really shows a lack of intelligence or composure from Small. Even if the whistle hadn't gone already, there's no upside to sticking your arm/hand in from that angle.

He's getting a reputation, and it's more than earned.

When I saw the replay I thought it was a bit harsh but he has a habit of doing stupid things like that, it was stupid Dublin were leading by about 14 points at that point!

MFPM wrote: »
    When I saw the replay I thought it was a bit harsh but he has a habit of doing stupid things like that, it was stupid Dublin were leading by about 14 points at that point!

After this it will be interesting to see if Jim freezes him out of the first team, for the rest of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

First half very poor today.

Only Kilkenny and Comerford can claim to have played well in the first half.

Second half was better but.....can we afford those bad patches against the better teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I thought we played quite well in the first half but the shooting just let us down. Got a lot better in the second half but that was partly due to Laois wilting.

I thought Small was unlucky. He was reaching in to slow up the free, not an unusual act, but accidentally caught the player in the face. Mistimed more than an attempt to git the player. Hope it doesn't cost him place.

Interesting to see who gets the jerseys in defence when everyone is fit.

blanch152 wrote: »
    First half very poor today.

Only Kilkenny and Comerford can claim to have played well in the first half.

Second half was better but.....can we afford those bad patches against the better teams?

In fairness if Mannion got that Penalty I think Laois would have given up a lot earlier.
    Also I think the weather had to have something to do with it as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

When is the draw for the super 8s

In fairness if Mannion got that Penalty I think Laois would have given up a lot earlier.
    Also I think the weather had to have something to do with it as well?

If anything the weather helped us, as the better strength and conditioning saw us through.

We had sloppy second halfs in the last two games, we had a sloppy first half today, they need to be eliminated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

blanch152 wrote: »
    If anything the weather helped us, as the better strength and conditioning saw us through.

We had sloppy second halfs in the last two games, we had a sloppy first half today, they need to be eliminated.

Given the quality of the opposition it's inevitable that there will be blips. Even with the sloppy first half we were still 6/7 points to the good going in at half time. I know it can develop into a bad habit but it must be extremely hard to stay tuned in for the 70 when you're running up the scoreboard.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

After this it will be interesting to see if Jim freezes him out of the first team, for the rest of the championship.

Yeah it will, although the strength in depth is looking a little bare!! Interesting no McMenamin today, he hasn't really done it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Soulsun wrote: »

There is no draw it's already decided just have to wait for the outcome of the qualifiers to see who fills the last 2 spots, dubs first game is v Donegal 14/15th July.

The other 2 games will be against the Connacht runner up or the team that may beat them in the qualifiers and the munster runner up or the team who may beat them in the qualifiers.

Soulsun wrote: »

Don't think there is a draw. Round 3 is tomorrow, round 4 next monday then we'll know who through to the super 8.

So Cork or Roscommon or the teams that beat them will be in with Dublin and Donegal and Fermanagh or Laois or the teams that beat them will be in with Kerry and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I'd agree that it was shot selection that cost Dublin early on. Overall they played well in the first half imo, laois only scored 5 points and I don't think they scored for the last 15 minutes of the first half. I thought Howard was excellent, he has a great jump and helped out the full back line a number of times.

Although mannion missed the penno, I still think he's Dublin's best option here, it was an uncharacteristic miss from someone who imo destroyed his man today but just couldn't score in the first half.

Costello was very accurate. Fenton had a quiet game but I thought Kilkenny and McCarthy had good games overall.

Small deserved the red.

The lads need to practice shots at the goal.

Stoner wrote: »
    I'd agree that it was shot selection that cost Dublin early on. Overall they played well in the first half imo, laois only scored 5 points and I don't think they scored for the last 15 minutes of the first half. I thought Howard was excellent, he has a great jump and helped out the full back line a number of times.

Although mannion missed the penno, I still think he's Dublin's best option here, it was an uncharacteristic miss from someone who imo destroyed his man today but just couldn't score in the first half.

Costello was very accurate. Fenton had a quiet game but I thought Kilkenny and McCarthy good games overall.

Small deserved the red.

I don't think they need to practice shots as such. One wide in the second half tells a story.

They do need to practice maintaining concentration.

blanch152 wrote:
    I don't think they need to practice shots as such. One wide in the second half tells a story.

Struggling to score goals no?
    It's been put to this team already.

Bring back Mossy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Heard a rumour that Dublin v Donegal will be in Cork. Any truth in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Stoner wrote: »

Costello was very accurate. Fenton had a quiet game but I thought Kilkenny and McCarthy had good games overall.

Small deserved the red.

Mannion's marker actually did well on him, at least while the game was still competitive anyway. Once the game ceased to be a contest it was training ground stuff but Laois deserve credit for how they played in that first 25-30 mins as at least they had a go rather than parking the bus.
    Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that Dublin v Donegal will be in Cork. Any truth in that?

Highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

aidan24326 wrote:
    Mannion's marker actually did well on him, at least while the game was still competitive anyway. Once the game ceased to be a contest it was training ground stuff but Laois deserve credit for how they played in that first 25-30 mins as at least they had a go rather than parking the bus.

They said the same on the Sunday game but I have a different take on it, I saw him kick past him a number of times only to kick a wide or to make a decent pass. Imo he had him for strength and speed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement