Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

CatInABox wrote: »
    Two? With that strength at under age, it needs to be split into four! It's inevitable! Here's a massive list of meaningless figures that I hope nobody questions, and if they do, I'll ignore their response! This is going to go all the way to the Sunday Game!!!!

Wicklow: 6918273641872634987612938847619283754591872534971529384761928736498712534987512983745918275346

Dosh: 98176249587613928764981726359876129378459127835469871263498761293847619287364981726349876

Underage players:
    12987345691238746591823764598712634598871623498761293486912873649182376491827364

Drugs:

I refute your figures could you post them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Can't recall Wicklow ever beating Dublin at any grade in football. Remember Baltinglass beating Ballymun back in 80s when they had Doyle.

Perhaps the rabid anti Dubs like DM and MAM might reflect on the possibility that one of reasons for Wicklow having a decent minor team is that perhaps the young fellas look at Dublin and want to play football in a similar style?

Anyway, fair play to them. Think our lads get another shot, which is probably unfair. Should be like 21s. Straight knockout.

NB. And of course Rathnew beating Na Fianna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Looks like Diarmuid has got past Lee Keegan and is on the plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Can't recall Wicklow ever beating Dublin at any grade in football. Remember Baltinglass beating Ballymun back in 80s when they had Doyle.

Perhaps the rabid anti Dubs like DM and MAM might reflect on the possibility that one of reasons for Wicklow having a decent minor team is that perhaps the young fellas look at Dublin and want to play football in a similar style?

Anyway, fair play to them. Think our lads get another shot, which is probably unfair. Should be like 21s. Straight knockout.

NB. And of course Rathnew beating Na Fianna.

... and Vinnies at the tail end of last year

DoctaDee wrote: »

Okay, my memory is gone to hell!

Was at the Baltinglass/Ballymun game. Must have been around 1984/5. Ballymun had Rock, Hargan, Anto McCaul and were hot favourites but got turned over mainly due to Kevin Doyle.

If I am not mistaken the game - in Croke Park - was played before a Dublin/Laois hurling league match, the one in which Paul Mulhere of Counsel was tragically killed after an accidental blow of hurley to the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Dermoto in the usofa

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DoctaDee wrote:

Think Na Fianna were beaten once thwre in the 1990's . Could be wrong though

Minor hurlers win Leinster, beating Cats by 6 - 19 to 7 - 12!

Semi final after yet another round robin between Galway, Kilkenny and Munster runners up.

Some good news at last after a disappointing year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Result from Navan in the U-20 Leinster semi-final. Meath 2-10 (16) Dublin 4-16 (28). Kildare awaits in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Minor hurlers win Leinster, beating Cats by 6 - 19 to 7 - 12!

Semi final after yet another round robin between Galway, Kilkenny and Munster runners up.

Some good news at last after a disappointing year.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Jesus Christ....what sport were they playing....rounders, cricket....???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Result from Navan in the U-20 Leinster semi-final. Meath 2-10 (16) Dublin 4-16 (28). Kildare awaits in the final.

Kildare on a roll. All that financial doping paying off.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Jesus Christ....what sport were they playing....rounders, cricket....???

Some score! Dublin got two goals in first minute of second half and Kilkenny two goals in last two minutes of injury time. Dublin were ten points up with about 5 minutes left and won by four.

Have to say the minor structure, apart from the classic today, is a bit of a surrealist joke. It is possible to lose twice and still win the All Ireland!

Cats now go into yet another round robin with Galway and Munster losers and top two teams play Dublin or Munster champion in the semis.

These mad schemes only benefit the strong counties. And on that basis, I don't think our minor footballers ought to have second go. Not fair on teams like Wicklow who might take down a big beast once, but have to do it repeatedly!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Some score! Dublin got two goals in first minute of second half and Kilkenny two goals in last two minutes of injury time. Dublin were ten points up with about 5 minutes left and won by four.

Have to say the minor structure, apart from the classic today, is a bit of a surrealist joke. It is possible to lose twice and still win the All Ireland!

Cats now go into yet another round robin with Galway and Munster losers and top two teams play Dublin or Munster champion in the semis.

These mad schemes only benefit the strong counties. And on that basis, I don't think our minor footballers ought to have second go. Not fair on teams like Wicklow who might take down a big beast once, but have to do it repeatedly!
    What?

Hurling in bizarre format shocker?

I am for one, surprised!

No need to be sarcastic!

But Dublin lost to Cats before this, and if we lost today we would still have been in round robin, and possibly make AI semi finals. That goes against whole idea of a championship. No team that loses twice should be in with a shout.

Minors should be same as 21s as straight knockout. After all the whole idea of changing the age grades was to reduce burnout. Now 16/17 year olds might have to play 7/8 games to win AI, on top of all their other school and club commitments.

Don't make sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

No need to be sarcastic!

But Dublin lost to Cats before this, and if we lost today we would still have been in round robin, and possibly make AI semi finals. That goes against whole idea of a championship. No team that loses twice should be in with a shout.

Minors should be same as 21s as straight knockout. After all the whole idea of changing the age grades was to reduce burnout. Now 16/17 year olds might have to play 7/8 games to win AI, on top of all their other school and club commitments.

Don't make sense to me.

Has the provincial minor league being done away with though? I think it has and the shortfall of games is being up in the championship.

Also under 17s can’t even play club senior as far as I know. Plus they got rid of college teams in the O’Byrne which was another stupid stress being put on young players.

And county under 20s can only play under 20s or senior not both so I don’t think it’s fair to say GAA are neglecting burnout.

The 20s (21s is gone) is not straight knockout either.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Okay, my memory is gone to hell!

Was at the Baltinglass/Ballymun game. Must have been around 1984/5. Ballymun had Rock, Hargan, Anto McCaul and were hot favourites but got turned over mainly due to Kevin Doyle.

If I am not mistaken the game - in Croke Park - was played before a Dublin/Laois hurling league match, the one in which Paul Mulhere of Counsel was tragically killed after an accidental blow of hurley to the head.
    I think the player you are referring to is Kevin O'Brien. Wicklows only all-star. His brother Seanie was very handy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

AndyP wrote: »
    I think the player you are referring to is Kevin O'Brien. Wicklows only all-star. His brother Seanie was very handy too.

The very man. My memory is fked.

He was some player. Played under Heffo I think in compromise rules? And had great game against Dublin in Newbridge around 1984/5?

Did he get all star?

Patww79 wrote: »
    I think he got it the year Baltinglass won the club All Ireland.

Was probably 89, I remember they clipped Thomas Davis in Leinster after TD beat Ballymun in county final .. that was really the end of BK and that great team .. things went downhill fast after that

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just saw Diarmuid Connolly scored 3-8 out of 4-13 for his club in Boston. An absolute shame we won't see him in Ireland this year, will we ever see him in a Dublin jersey again? A beast of a player and had the skills to go with it. He was the only reason I enjoyed watching the Dubs recently while beating Kerry in the process.

Hopefully things work out for him anyway, whatever his reasons for heading off.

That would have been it as the AI win was in 1990 so would have been the previous years Leinster.

Speaking of Thomas Davis, what level are they now? Used to be around the club a good bit many moons ago but they slipped a lot over the years didn't they?

Yeah as coincidence would have it I saw them a while ago plying their stuff in AFL4 (inter 2), they were a poor enough outfit and in danger of another drop - though ironically past glories still have them operating in the senior championship, the lite version senior b

There are not too popular at the moment! Tried to stop new SFC format going ahead when they were not one of the 16 teams qualified.

Still doing reasonably well, although part of Tallaght they used to draw players from is going down the tubes in every way.

Curran was with Kickhams rather than Davis. Which tells its own story really.

I'd read that somewhere earlier too (posted here and deleted) and then seen after it was 2 points he scored.

Ah, didnt know it was 2 points. Just saw it on the Hogan Stand Facebook page but they usually seem to be on the ball with stuff.

Rest of the post about him stands anyway. Best of luck to him.

There are not too popular at the moment! Tried to stop new SFC format going ahead when they were not one of the 16 teams qualified.

Still doing reasonably well, although part of Tallaght they used to draw players from is going down the tubes in every way.

Curran was with Kickhams rather than Davis. Which tells its own story really.
    They're very poor Bonnie based on what I saw - I remember when Curran was looking to get away from TD and he asked for a transfer to kilmacud .. caused a lot of hassle at the time

DoctaDee wrote: »
    They're very poor Bonnie based on what I saw - I remember when Curran was looking to get away from TD and he asked for a transfer to kilmacud .. caused a lot of hassle at the time

Not a happy family. Although I am dubious about big names leaving their clubs for others. Isles is perfect example. Not one of the 90s Dublin team and Isles teams that got to club final stayed with them as managers/mentors - Charlie, Keith, Mick Deegan. But all managed other clubs and Isles football is in a mess now. P.J Buckley's son played with Isles but that's going back a long time.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure, the 3-8 could be right. I think I seen that on daily edge and the 0-2 on sports Joe.

Edit - the42 actually http://www.the42.ie/diarmuid-connolly-pictures-donegal-boston-4103067-Jul2018/

You are correct. The Boston club Facebook page have all the scorers listed too. DC with 2 points

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=619855235041084&id=409688286057781

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement