Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Minors got the win they needed last night beating Westmeath by 25 points in Mullingar.Westmeath 0-9(9) Dublin 5-19(34). Unfortunately the result in the Wicklow v Meath game didn't go our way. Wicklow running out 2 point winners.

It all now means we're now in the Leinster Minor Shield. Joining us there are Louth,Longford and Wexford. Two semi-finals will be Dublin v Wexford. Offaly v Longford. I've no idea where they'll be played. There pencilled in to be played on Saturday,with the final the following Saturday.

The U20s Leinster Final v Kildare is live on TG4 on Friday. Coverage starts at 7:15. Throw-In 7:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bret Hart wrote:
    The U20s Leinster Final v Kildare is live on TG4 on Friday. Coverage starts at 7:15. Throw-In 7:30.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not a happy family. Although I am dubious about big names leaving their clubs for others. Isles is perfect example. Not one of the 90s Dublin team and Isles teams that got to club final stayed with them as managers/mentors - Charlie, Keith, Mick Deegan. But all managed other clubs and Isles football is in a mess now. P.J Buckley's son played with Isles but that's going back a long time.

I see Michael Deegan transferred to Na Fianna from Ashbourne

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Yeah as coincidence would have it I saw them a while ago plying their stuff in AFL4 (inter 2), they were a poor enough outfit and in danger of another drop - though ironically past glories still have them operating in the senior championship, the lite version senior b

TD first team is in AFL1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Gael85 wrote: »

Anyone but Isles seems to be motto for former greats.

Pity really as barely surviving in senior football for such a club.

• Advertisement

Anyone but Isles seems to be motto for former greats.

Pity really as barely surviving in senior football for such a club.

They mid table in AFL3. Think Ballymun and Na Fianna could be recruiting in their feeder schools too.

Gael85 wrote:

Yeah that was last year, I assume you posted because he didn't go back to Isles so it's his third club, I remember reading that three ex isles men in Ashbourne had sons living around there, two lads were Meath U21 while Deegan was Dublin U21.

Stoner wrote: »
    Yeah that was last year, I assume you posted because he didn't go back to Isles so it's his third club, I remember reading that three ex isles men in Ashbourne had sons living around there, two lads were Meath U21 while Deegan was Dublin U21.

Yes meant that as he bypassed Isles. Here the article your referring to.

http://hoganstand.com/article/index/177852

Funny one this year with Mayo not around, regardless I still rather play Kildare than Mayo, regardless of the result at the weekend.

A lot of the Galway positivity has switched to Kerry now, a fully fit Donegal would be an issue now.
    I wouldn't have Tyrone in the mix this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »
    Funny one this year with Mayo not around, regardless I still rather play Kildare than Mayo, regardless of the result at the weekend.

A lot of the Galway positivity has switched to Kerry now, a fully fit Donegal would be an issue now.
    I wouldn't have Tyrone in the mix this year.

They might be up for making a statement in front of their supporters though. Wouldn't surprise me if we see another Battle of Omagh.

Not to sound like a dick but i'm not sure any team is gonna give Dublin a game this year. Galway, Kildare and Tyrone won't beat Dublin in Croke Park. A lot of talk about the Kerry forwards and while they're lovely players i'm not sure they'll do as we'll against our defenders as we'll do against their defenders. When things get going in the knockout stages we'll probably have the paciest (is that a word?) team ever to play Gaelic games and thats all wrong for Kerry.

• Advertisement

They mid table in AFL3. Think Ballymun and Na Fianna could be recruiting in their feeder schools too.

Mark Berrigan's son - Mark was senior hurling manager - was on schools team that won Leinster. But not on minors, might be age thing.

Once upon a time it was rare that any Dublin team at any level including women's ball and camogie didn't have someone from Finglas. Very rare now.

Vincents and Beneavin that used to supply a lot of Isles lads are mostly the two clubs you name now. Don't think the Patrician even competes in schools competitions. Stand to be corrected on that.

Dublin have used 36 players in 3 Championship games.Appearances+Subs for 2018 Championship Games

Andrews, Paddy 3
    Cooper, Jonny 3
    Fenton, Brian 3
    Fitzsimons, Michael 3
    Howard, Brian 3
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 3
    Lowndes, Eric 3
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 3
    Mannion, Paul 3
    McCarthy, James 3
    McMahon, Phillly 3
    O’Callaghan, Con 3
    Rock, Dean 3
    Scully, Niall 3
    Cluxton, Stephen 2 (1 Clean Sheet, 1 Conceded)
    Comerford, Evan 1+1 (2 Clean Sheet, 0 Conceded)
    Daly, Darren 0+3
    Flynn, Paul 0+3
    Basquel, Colm 0+2
    McCaffrey, Jack 0+2
    McHugh, Conor 0+2
    McManamon, Kevin 0+2
    Costello, Cormac 0+1
    Murchan, Eoin 0+1
    O’Sullivan, Cian 0+1
    Small, John 0+1

Dublin have scored 7-75(96) and conceded 1-33(36) in 3 Championship games. Scorers 2018 Championship Games

Rock, Dean 2-16
    Kilkenny, Ciaran 2-15
    Fenton, Brian 1-9
    O’Callaghan, Con 1-7
    Mannion, Paul 1-4
    Andrew, Paddy 0-6
    Costello, Cormac 0-4
    Basquel, Colm 0-3
    Howard, Brian 0-3
    McHugh, Conor 0-2
    McMahon, Philly 0-2
    Scully, Niall 0-2
    Macauley, Michael Darragh 0-1
    McCarthy, James 0-1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Spotted this news last night, Ryan O'Dwyer has retired from intercounty hurling. His career with Dublin had loads of ups and downs, on balance I'll remember him very fondly, even if his sending off was one of the most frustrating events to watch. Still sickens me now, in fact, but it doesn't tarnish what he helped accomplish.

The stand out memory of him is how much he fought for Dublin on the field, sometimes quite literally. I think every photographer loved him, and would seek him out, as invariably he'd have taken a knock to the face during the game and his teeth would be covered in blood, so he'd smile this huge bloody smile.

Anyway, there's a nice interview with him in the Indo, and he touches on the stuff above. Hope he continues his recovery as well, i know from personal experience in my family that head injuries like that can take years and years to recover from, you can get back to 95% pretty quick, but the last 5% might never come back, or just come back different altogether.

He got a very bad beating outside a nightclub in England. No fault of his own, just standing outside minding own business. I think that set him back a bit.

Great asset to the hurlers, heart of a lion. I assume he will still hurl with Crokes under Anthony? Biggest threat to Cuala.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

He got a very bad beating outside a nightclub in England. No fault of his own, just standing outside minding own business. I think that set him back a bit.

Great asset to the hurlers, heart of a lion. I assume he will still hurl with Crokes under Anthony? Biggest threat to Cuala.

Yeah, one sneaky punch to the head and during the fall he hit his head on a step. Came out of it with a different personality for a while, shocking stuff. It's bound to have an effect on the field as well, such a lengthy lay off and recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh I thought he was mad to go back to hurling after that incident in Birmingham, he might not have been to everyone's taste personality wise but it takes real guts to come back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

S'funny....all the great days out in Croker this decade are all starting to blur together now, but I'll never forget that magical day standing on the Hill and feeling we were standing on the verge of history, watching the hurlers about to record a win against one of the big 3 and, make it to an AI final. I really thought we were going to do it. Finally. Then the wheels fell off with his sending off.

Ah well....at least we go to experience what it feels like to be a Mayo supporter for a while.

(Sorry. Too soon? :o )

corny wrote:
    Not to sound like a dick but i'm not sure any team is gonna give Dublin a game this year. Galway, Kildare and Tyrone won't beat Dublin in Croke Park. A lot of talk about the Kerry forwards and while they're lovely players i'm not sure they'll do as we'll against our defenders as we'll do against their defenders. When things get going in the knockout stages we'll probably have the paciest (is that a word?) team ever to play Gaelic games and thats all wrong for Kerry.

Kerry have added some zip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

ProudDUB wrote: »
    S'funny....all the great days out in Croker this decade are all starting to blur together now, but I'll never forget that magical day standing on the Hill and feeling we were standing on the verge of history, watching the hurlers about to record a win against one of the big 3 and make it to an AI final. I really thought we were going to do it. Finally. Then the wheels fell off with his sending off.

Ah well....at least we go to experience what it feels like to be a Mayo supporter for a while.

(Sorry. Too soon? :o )
    Did you not get to feel that in 06 too??? 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

TD first team is in AFL1

My jaysis Gael I stand corrected :o in my defence I see very little senior league football and certainly not lads that live up the Dublin mountains

Truth be told there's very little football coming from the working class areas, they've gone back to soccer as their primary sport, tho hurling as a compromise is dominant with Isles, Finbarrs and Larriers etc
    ......Once upon a time it was rare that any Dublin team at any level including women's ball and camogie didn't have someone from Finglas. Very rare now.

Vincents and Beneavin that used to supply a lot of Isles lads are mostly the two clubs you name now. Don't think the Patrician even competes in schools competitions. Stand to be corrected on that.

Yeah young Neil Matthews who played HB for the minors last year is a shining light for the Isles and I'm nearly sure he's with the U20 set up this year too. Beneavin used to have a strong Isles connection, Charlie & Mick Deegan spring to mind - down the road in Kevins CBS Barney, Hargan, Deasy McCaul and Kearns from the old crew were all BK stalwarts .. now it appears that the greasy hand of that crowd in Glasnevin have McHugh, not sure about Aaron Byrne as he was with Lucan as a young lad - Cooper was Vincents CBS I think, but the lines are well blurred now with regard the catchment area.

• Advertisement

Vincents is mostly Fianna now, even though a lot of Finglas chaps go there. Isles still have lot of kids involved and will hopefully recover but schools is big issue as that is where a lot of the coaching takes place and Fianna have teachers who are always on look out for potential and recruits. God be with the days when they were cannon fodder for Isles :-)

DoctaDee wrote: »
    My jaysis Gael I stand corrected :o in my defence I see very little senior league football and certainly not lads that live up the Dublin mountains

Truth be told there's very little football coming from the working class areas, they've gone back to soccer as their primary sport, tho hurling as a compromise is dominant with Isles, Finbarrs and Larriers etc

Yeah young Neil Matthews who played HB for the minors last year is a shining light for the Isles and I'm nearly sure he's with the U20 set up this year too. Beneavin used to have a strong Isles connection, Charlie & Mick Deegan spring to mind - down the road in Kevins CBS Barney, Hargan, Deasy McCaul and Kearns from the old crew were all BK stalwarts .. now it appears that the greasy hand of that crowd in Glasnevin have McHugh, not sure about Aaron Byrne as he was with Lucan as a young lad - Cooper was Vincents CBS I think, but the lines are well blurred now with regard the catchment area.

Watched Davis and Castleknock in AFL1 Wednesday night. TD won by 2, they've a good young team coming through. CB don't seem to go near working class areas. Pity to see Isles struggle. Is that Matthews lad a son of Dublin goalkeeping coach Gary? I see Gary listed as Erins Isle in match programme for u20 match tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Big second half performance needed to rescue this. The midfield has been getting cleaned out. We've lost I, think our last 5 or 6 kickouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Lots of Dublin players jogging around the place. Much more purpose to Kildare.

Bad team. Need a miracle here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Severe lack of drive, Kildare dictating everything

Since when is a punch in the head a yellow? Not that it will make a difference unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Thats twice now the Dublin number 14 has lost the ball and just stood still while his man ran away from him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement