Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Looking forward to the game today.

I'm expecting a good contest, although both teams can survive a loss today that might impact on the intensity.

Donegal are a decent team with some very good footballers and a few crafty lads too. I think they can trouble Dublin around the middle. Their half back line will fight like dogs and attempt to hit us on the break.

We might get to see if their management team is up to this level today.

Kilkenny will be busy

They will try to expose our lack of presence in the fullback line, I think this will eventually be badly exposed but the plan is to sit MDMA back further.

McCarthy might pick up Murphy again, he's the only Dublin player I've seen who can get to grips with him, we never really got or get to see MDMA vs Murphy go at it properly for a game imo. It's a contest I'd imagine would interest GAA fans, we get to see both against Aidan O'S but that particular battle has been largly avoided.

I hope our inside forwards have a good game with Brogan out our lack of a traditional target man won't suit Donegals strengths. The forwards we have should be well able to track the corner backs. If they go on a few runs hopefully we can hit them with a couple of counter attacks early to take the edge off them, otherwise they could do some damage.

With Small out I'd hope to see McCarty in the HB line with Fenton and MDMA in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Roscommon supporter here. Counting on you guys to absolutely smash Donegal today. I feel we have a shot ourselves today against Tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Anyone any ideas of how ticket sales are going for today? Wasn't sure I'd make it but things looking up and hoping to grab a late Hill ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Collie D wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas of how ticket sales are going for today? Wasn't sure I'd make it but things looking up and hoping to grab a late Hill ticket.

Tickets.ie let you download a pdf, its an instant ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Still Hill tickets available online, surprisingly. And for all other parts of the ground.

Always wary of Donegal. Even without McBrearty - and won't believe that until I see them come out! - they are always capable of a big game and doing something left field to throw the opposition off.

Be vital Dublin get an early lead and force them to come at Dublin.

• Advertisement

Team out: Cluxton supposedly back. Howard in half backs for Small and no McCaffrey. Callaghan at centre forward, but doubt they will line out as announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Maybe this Kildare team are better than thought and ye’re u20s weren’t so bad. They look very impressive today, especially Jimmy Hyland, again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Great to get the win, but while the possession play at the end was super effective, man was it boring. If headquarters thought that the Super 8 format would ignite the championship, I'd say that they've been severely disabused of that notion now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

CatInABox wrote: »
    Great to get the win, but while the possession play at the end was super effective, man was it boring. If headquarters thought that the Super 8 format would ignite the championship, I'd say that they've been severely disabused of that notion now.

Yeah with three matches in a row it makes sense to just take the win and not be killing forwards for the last 20 when a game is good as won. It’s a flawed system I think and I preferred a straight quarter final

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lads, I've been bleating on about how many goal chances we spurn each game, but we could have had 8 this evening.

And one day it's going to come back to haunt us. Big time.

Whether it be an All Ireland final or a nothing game against Donegal, we've some serious finishing issues.

Howard man of the match. What a guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Slattsy wrote: »
    Lads, I've been bleating on about how many goal chances we spurn each game, but we could have had 8 this evening.

Whether it be an All Ireland final or a nothing game against Donegal, we've some serious finishing issues.

Couldn't understand taking him off, unless it was to save him for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Couldn't understand taking him off, unless it was to save him for next week

You'd have to think so, put in a serious shift. Serious baller.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Anyone know if the times for next weekend s matchs on gaa.ie are confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Anyone know if the times for next weekend s matchs on gaa.ie are confirmed?
    Yes, Saturday week at 7pm Dublin will face Tyrone.

Slattsy wrote:

He'd a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah with three matches in a row it makes sense to just take the win and not be killing forwards for the last 20 when a game is good as won. It’s a flawed system I think and I preferred a straight quarter final

Really ?...I think it's great. Two more games per team. Loads of football this summer. Everyone talks about Dublin sailing through a boring Leinster every year but we haven't really been tested in many quarter finals either. Monaghan twice, Donegal (I think) and Fermanagh last 4 years. Nothing to write home about. An away game in Healy park to come and ok a possible dull game against Roscommon (who knows). And the other groups games to enjoy too. It's great. Change eh....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »
    He'd a great game.

Doesn't look to be that tall but by jaysus can he get up in the air. The little step to evade the tacklers is beautiful too.

Don't know how O'Callaghan can lack confidence since he can walk on water but he seems to be going through a bit of a patch. Did loads of great work but was really hesitant when he got close to goal. A load of muppets around me screaming abuse at him and screaming for him to be taken off irked the ****e out of me. It'll fall into place for him soon enough.

It'll be interesting in Omagh next week. Tyrone **** themselves last year but i suspect they're capable of turning us over.

Solution to the goals issue is possibly to take the handy points. Had they done Dublin would have had 10/11 point lead early in second half.

Some day, and I dearly hope it is our friends from the south west :), they will run amok and stick 5/6/7.

No-one is beating this team this year.

corny wrote:
    Don't know how O'Callaghan can lack confidence since he can walk on water but he seems to be going through a bit of a patch. Did loads of great work but was really hesitant when he got close to goal. A load of muppets around me screaming abuse at him and screaming for him to be taken off irked the ****e out of me. It'll fall into place for him soon enough.

Hope it falls into place for Mannion too, O'Callaghan was very selfish on one occasion in the first half, going for the shot when Mannion was in. Mannion is a good man to pass to the best placed man himself, must wreck his head.

It's early days but Howard looks like he's as good as Flynn on his day, maybe not in the tackle, but he has a great dink when he runs at lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,770 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah the Con O'Callaghan one annoyed me right at the keeper, luckily got something out of it

I surprised they are so poor particularly when Jayo is in the backroom staff,just slide it by the keeper soccer style - pick the spot.

Glides along real athlete looks like he could play any sport.
    Also when Rock was interviewed after the game it was amazing how fresh he looked.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Really ?...I think it's great. Two more games per team. Loads of football this summer. Everyone talks about Dublin sailing through a boring Leinster every year but we haven't really been tested in many quarter finals either. Monaghan twice, Donegal (I think) and Fermanagh last 4 years. Nothing to write home about. An away game in Healy park to come and ok a possible dull game against Roscommon (who knows). And the other groups games to enjoy too. It's great. Change eh....

What annoys me is that they have to do it this super 8s way. Instead of playing the League in the summer. Home and Away. Top four of div 1 play in the semi final of the championship.
    Job done.
    Move the provincial championships to the spring.

Instead we kind of have half a division 1 super 8s.

Instead we kind of have half a division 1 super 8s.

What we have is a good league, that more and more people around the country seem to like as a competition,

I think that's because there are well matched teams, the whole home and away thing is fair except for the final if it's Dublin in CP

Yet even though we like the league, the big prize is the AI, a competition full of mismatched games.

Plus we have club players scratching their nuts for months trying to finish a championship.

Come on lads lets train our next game is in 8 weeks!

What we have is a good league, that more and more people around the country seem to like as a competition,

I think that's because there are well matched teams, the whole home and away thing is fair except for the final if it's Dublin in CP

Yet even though we like the league, the big prize is the AI, a competition full of mismatched games.

Plus we have club players scratching their nuts for months trying to finish a championship.

Come on lads lets train our next game is in 8 weeks!

The 'Super 8's' will be the start of a slow change. They have to let the auld lads in congress get used to the idea first.
    Pain in the @rse for everyone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

O'Callaghan was very selfish on one occasion in the first half, going for the shot when Mannion was in.

I don't think that was down to him being selfish though. If he gets the ball and runs hard at the goal while not looking up i'd agree with you. He doesn't do that. He seems paralysed by indecision. He looks up, tentatively makes his way toward goal and just doesn't know what to do. Ends up just swinging his boot and hoping. I wouldn't even call it a shot tbh. To me thats a crisis of confidence not a player trying to steal the glory.

He did well to pinch two of those kick outs to set up the goal chances anyway.

corny wrote:
    I don't think that was down to him being selfish though. If he gets the ball and runs hard at the goal while not looking up i'd agree with you. He doesn't do that. He seems paralysed by indecision. He looks up, tentatively makes his way toward goal and just doesn't know what to do. Ends up just swinging his boot and hoping. I wouldn't even call it a shot tbh. To me thats a crisis of confidence not a player trying to steal the glory.

Maybe for some of them, but the one I'm talking about he was well aware of Mannion, and Mannion could do with a goal himself.

Did O'Callahan go for another lob in the second half ? Look like he tried it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Maybe for some of them, but the one I'm talking about he was well aware of Mannion, and Mannion could do with a goal himself.

Did O'Callahan go for another lob in the second half ? Look like he tried it again.

From my perch he looked like he shinned it Stoner, I'd doubt with the game he was having that he would've had the confidence to lob Patton

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Strange kind of a feeling, the morning after the night before.

If you told me at the start of last years champo, that our starting forwards for our 2018 quarter final, would feature none of Berno, Dermo, Paddy Andrews, Flynner, CC, Kev Mc....I'd have bitten your arm off for a draw, never mind a relatively comfortable win. I shouldn't be feeling so oddly unsettled about our poor finishing, or Con or Mannion's form, but I am. Logic dictates I open my eyes up to the baton passing that is going on right in front of us. (Rarely commented on really, compared to all the ballyhoo surrounding the KOTF young guns, if one of them so much as farts :rolleyes: ) I'll try and relax so, but that Tyrone display? Good Lord ! Are they that good, or are the Rossies that bad? We'll find out next week I suppose....gulp !

Brian Howard. One word. Majestic. That is all.

Delighted to see Scully throw off the shackles & back himself twice. Sometimes you can be a bit too unselfish in Jim Gavin's system & its not always a bad thing. But considering who was missing (both on and off the field) we needed someone to step up & he did. The lad is an absolute greyhound & I've a feeling he has a big role to play in our summer.

So it's onwards & upwards to do battle in Omagh. Do we all have our kevlar & pitchforks ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Strange kind of a feeling, the morning after the night before.

If you told me at the start of last years champo, that our starting forwards for our 2018 quarter final, would feature none of Berno, Dermo, Paddy Andrews, Flynner, CC, Kev Mc....I'd have bitten your arm off for a draw, never mind a relatively comfortable win. I shouldn't be feeling so oddly unsettled about our poor finishing, or Con or Mannion's form, but I am. Logic dictates I open my eyes up to the baton passing that is going on right in front of us. (Rarely commented on really, compared to all the ballyhoo surrounding the KOTF young guns, if one of them so much as farts :rolleyes: ) I'll try and relax so, but that Tyrone display? Good Lord ! Are they that good, or are the Rossies that bad? We'll find out next week I suppose....gulp !

Brian Howard. One word. Majestic. That is all.

Delighted to see Scully throw off the shackles & back himself twice. Sometimes you can be a bit too unselfish in Jim Gavin's system & its not always a bad thing. But considering who was missing (both on and off the field) we needed someone to step up & he did. The lad is an absolute greyhound & I've a feeling he has a big role to play in our summer.

So it's onwards & upwards to do battle in Omagh. Do we all have our kevlar & pitchforks ready?

Roscommon are that bad/naive
    They made the super 8s by virtue of wins over Leitrim and Armagh ........

km79 wrote: »
    Roscommon are that bad/naive
    They made the super 8s by virtue of wins over Leitrim and Armagh ........

Yeah. They have not improved at all from the time they got hammered by Kerry in a League Semi couple of years ago?
    Leaving Kerry forwards one on one etc.
    The Rossies are a strange team a lot of raw material there, but they do not seem to be instructed correctly/either that or they loose the head.
    I don't know.

• Advertisement

I looked back over the Sunday game live mostly the analysis bits.
    But, I caught the end of the game where Ger Canning was blaming Dublin for keeping the ball.
    There were about four/five points in it at that stage.

What did Canning expect Dublin to do give the ball away and conceede a goal?
    He did not have the cop on to see it is up to Donegal to push up.

Worse still he came out with this line.
    "Dublin owe it to supporters and Gaelic football not to play like this!"

Right Gobsh*te I thought.
    So Dublin are the guardians of Gaelic football now are they?
    As far as I am concerned it is in the rules to hand pass if people don't like it change them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement