Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I looked back over the Sunday game live mostly the analysis bits.
    But, I caught the end of the game where Ger Canning was blaming Dublin for keeping the ball.
    There were about four/five points in it at that stage.

What did Canning expect Dublin to do give the ball away and conceede a goal?
    He did not have the cop on to see it is up to Donegal to push up.

Worse still he came out with this line.
    "Dublin owe it to supporters and Gaelic football not to play like this!"

Right Gobsh*te I thought.
    So Dublin are the guardians of Gaelic football now are they?
    As far as I am concerned it is in the rules to hand pass if people don't like it change them.

Well I hope for Ger's sake he wasn't watching that muckfest in HQ today then. Even with the game in the balance it was like a game of ****e basketball.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

As a betting man, I think Tyrone at 7/2 next week is a bet.

After embarrassing them last year, they'll be out for revenge and Omagh in a Championship match is a far cry from our league encounters. They have a more attacking look to them this year from what I can see to date, be very interesting how we fare and I think it'll be a lot closer than betting suggests.

Obviously I hope we win. But I like winning money too ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Get Canning had a point...who cares but he was correct in that Dublin were very negative. KK specially so. It was annoying, I hope that it was with one eye on next week but ****e like that every week in the super 8's will kill the game as a spectacle.

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    Get Canning had a point...who cares but he was correct in that Dublin were very negative. KK specially so. It was annoying, I hope that it was with one eye on next week but ****e like that every week in the super 8's will kill the game as a spectacle.

Pure nonsense from Ger and Dessie during the commentary. Not a peep about the 15 man defensive line Donegal opted for large swathes of the game. At one stage they were blaming the Dublin players for Donegal lads losing the head and flying into tackles.

This Dublin team have long since learned how to combat the blanket defense and turn it into a way of actually frustrating the defending team, which is the opposite to what teams expect.

Sure there is plenty to work on, that's a great thing being honest. Gives Jim something to work on during the week. We were never in danger of losing that game. It was a controlled and measured performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,770 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

JRant wrote: »
    It was a controlled and measured performance.

They have it off to a tee at this stage even though they were not as clincal as usual.
    I think it is magic to watch they can change thier style when needs be.
    They can slow it down then suddenly speed it up.
    Great stuff.
    I think if they win Sam this year they have be considered the best team in the history of Gaelic football.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Pure nonsense from Ger and Dessie during the commentary. Not a peep about the 15 man defensive line Donegal opted for large swathes of the game. At one stage they were blaming the Dublin players for Donegal lads losing the head and flying into tackles.

This Dublin team have long since learned how to combat the blanket defense and turn it into a way of actually frustrating the defending team, which is the opposite to what teams expect.

Sure there is plenty to work on, that's a great thing being honest. Gives Jim something to work on during the week. We were never in danger of losing that game. It was a controlled and measured performance.

Only issues I had with yesterday was the chances missed we should taken most of them.

They also look far to casual at times certain players in perticular which I'm hoping changes as we go on. Con O Callahan hasn't hit the heights this season yet and the likes of Cormac Costello will be pushing for start.

I bascially think Donegal decided right where not gonna win this so where gonna keep it as tight as we can so Dublin decided fine if you don't wanna play we will control the game and keep it at our tempo. If you have the players and the skill level why not! Might not be pretty and it can be very tense if it's closer game but it counters the heavy defending when it comes off.

Only issues I had with yesterday was the chances missed we should taken most of them.

They also look far to casual at times certain players in perticular which I'm hoping changes as we go on. Con O Callahan hasn't hit the heights this season yet and the likes of Cormac Costello will be pushing for start.

I bascially think Donegal decided right where not gonna win this so where gonna keep it as tight as we can so Dublin decided fine if you don't wanna play we will control the game and keep it at our tempo. If you have the players and the skill level why not! Might not be pretty and it can be very tense if it's closer game but it counters the heavy defending when it comes off.

I agree, we were very wasteful yesterday. Kilkenny left his shooting boots at home. Con looked tired, mentally more than physically. Rock was up to nothing and Mannion was very quiet. I think we'll see a few changes in the forward line next week with Flynn, Costello and Kev starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I agree, we were very wasteful yesterday. Kilkenny left his shooting boots at home. Con looked tired, mentally more than physically. Rock was up to nothing and Mannion was very quiet. I think we'll see a few changes in the forward line next week with Flynn, Costello and Kev starting.

I think Rock is there for kicking set pieces you do forget he's on the pitch at times until we win a free. I haven't seen enough of Flynn for long while now to know if he's up for starting but he looked very good coming on yesterday. Kevin hasn't looked the player he once was all season so again its hard to know what he would bring.
    Paddy Andrews has been very very quite to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The super8s where Duffy's idea to boost attendance figures. It is purely a money making exercise that has not worked.

It's essentially a league system a simple matter of getting the points whilst maintaining an injury free panel over the course of a longer championship.

The negativity of blanket defensive systems employed by opposing teams not even bothering to chase the game nor their point differential is what needs to be tackled not the hand passing around them by teams just playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Fairly non plussed by the super 8s so far, seems like just a way to have extra games. Can’t blame the dubs for killing that game for the last 15, there was no reason to attack and risk giving the ball away. If the match had been a straight knock out donegal would have to have gone for it earlier but they know they have 2 more matches to get through so accepted the defeat and kept it to a low enough points loss. I think this is suffering from the law of unintended consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The thing is the format created the option for Donegal to sit back.

I didn't realize it before but it's like we are playing games in a certain way until we get to have to win games mentality

You'd have seen a different Donegal if Saturday was must win.

However we are on the road again so happy days there. But Saturday did Donegal no favours as provincial champions.

Absolutely Stoner.

Anyone who blames a team defending their lead against a team not interested in chasing a game does not understand the format of the Super 8's.

Dubs were quite clever. Winning and are playing a team that have no interest in changing their defensive tactics and refuse to challenge or chase the ball must have been quite mystifying. Donegal simply gave up. In a knockout scenario, they would have had to get their asses in gear, but they know that X number of teams move on to the next stage in this format.

But hey that doesnt stop people pointing at the Dubs hand passing around the fringes of a rigid defense system rather than the negativity of the opoposition defending a 5 point deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Con O Callahan hasn't hit the heights this season yet

Had lots of possession on Saturday. He just needs to clip over a few handy points.
    No need to over complicate things. If he carrys the ball towards goal every time it loses the element of surprise. I think he'll go much better in Omagh.
    Kilkenny's wides were a little out of character. He's capable of getting every single one of them on another day. So that's a blip. Mannion is an enigma.

The team as a whole is functioning very well so the finishing just needs to be tidied up. And avoid being distracted by any antics up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Is it down to point difference or head to head in the super 8's.

Is it down to point difference or head to head in the super 8's.

This is answered on the Donegal thread.

I think it's points if there are three on the same points, and head to head of it's two teams, either way it's both I guess, won't know till the last day which is applied

Missed out on a ticket for Healy Park sold out already!
    Should be a great atmosphere up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Missed out on a ticket for Healy Park sold out already!
    Should be a great atmosphere up there.

My brother is not going, was going to opt out. I can get him to pay the €15 and meet you there to give you the card.
    Face Value of course.

Also when Rock was interviewed after the game it was amazing how fresh he looked.

Why ? He did nothing :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Stoner wrote: »

I think it's points if there are three on the same points, and head to head of it's two teams, either way it's both I guess, won't know till the last day which is applied

Points difference is also used if the game used for the head to head of the two teams is a draw.

Stoner wrote: »

Yeah, it's the same format as the hurling earlier in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Game of Shame being replayed on Eir now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

This scenario, which while speculative is not unlikely I think, and could well be an unintended consequence of the round robin Super 8 where teams do not actually have to win a game or will decide they’re not going to and adapt accordingly with the viewer suffering. It might be a particular problem since they top 4 changes slowly (how long have Dublin, Kerry and Tyrone been considered candidates?) How many counties will genuinely go for broke against these sort of teams knowing there’s another tough but winnable game just a week later?

Dead rubbers might not just happen in the last round if the pecking order is really obvious and teams target wins elsewhere. It is also something worth considering for those who think the proverbial “champions league format” will make everything amazing. All the same teams playing each other with similar results each year might get tedious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nicked this from res dogs:

Charlie Redmond on the cribbing and whinging about teasing Donegal for 15 minutes at the end of the game; "Other counties want to dictate to us where we play and now they want to dictate to us how we play" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Fann Linn wrote: »

Watching Sgt. Bilko myself.

Charlie is right of course. Green eyed monsters all round.

Dubs have shown the weakness of teams who won't change their defensive system even if it involves loss as it's not a knockout. Donegal did not try in the last 15 mins and the dubs said **** ye so.

They are talking about zonal and passing restrictions rather than tackle the core issue, non trying by trailing teams. The likes of Canning Carney etc need to called into a room and explain their inane ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Fann Linn wrote: »

Ah, the 2011 semi final wasn't that bad. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Slattsy wrote: »
    As a betting man, I think Tyrone at 7/2 next week is a bet.

After embarrassing them last year, they'll be out for revenge and Omagh in a Championship match is a far cry from our league encounters. They have a more attacking look to them this year from what I can see to date, be very interesting how we fare and I think it'll be a lot closer than betting suggests.

Obviously I hope we win. But I like winning money too ha ha!

I bet against Dublin once in a league game. It was a weird feeling. Who do i cheer? Who do i boo? Come on you boys in ????? Anyway Dublin won and i lost. Won't have money on it this weekend but i actually hope Tyrone sneak it. I'm full sure they're the second best team in the competition and i'm confident both teams will be contesting the final. It'll be a great final if we're the ones looking for revenge. If we beat them this weekend they might as well hand the trophy to Dublin. Great for Dublin but there's more fun the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah here corny. Go lie down mate. You can't be right in the head if you're thinking those kind of thoughts. If you want "fun" may I respectfully direct you towards the dodgems in Bray, a Fr Ted box set, or last night's Terrace Talk on Radio Kurree.

A nice & easy stroll to the 4 in a row is just what the doctor ordered, after all the drama we've endured since 2011. We can then save our nails, nerves and sphincters for 2019, worrying where Seamus Darby Nua may be lurking in the long grass.

corny wrote: »
    I bet against Dublin once in a league game. It was a weird feeling. Who do i cheer? Who do i boo? Come on you boys in ????? Anyway Dublin won and i lost. Won't have money on it this weekend but i actually hope Tyrone sneak it. I'm full sure they're the second best team in the competition and i'm confident both teams will be contesting the final. It'll be a great final if we're the ones looking for revenge. If we beat them this weekend they might as well hand the trophy to Dublin. Great for Dublin but there's more fun the other way.

Jayus....

Next you will be wanting M**th to win an all-ireland.... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,891 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

STB. wrote: »
    Charlie is right of course. Green eyed monsters all round.

Dubs have shown the weakness of teams who won't change their defensive system even if it involves loss as it's not a knockout. Donegal did not try in the last 15 mins and the dubs said **** ye so.

They are talking about zonal and passing restrictions rather than tackle the core issue, non trying by trailing teams. The likes of Canning Carney etc need to called into a room and explain their inane ramblings.

Donegal were a disgrace on Saturday night. Five points down and they didn't want to compete for the ball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement