Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I think after a 500 point win or whatever it was isn't the best time to be talking about discontent in the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Sorry but you are talking nonsense. The all Ireland champions and team going for 3 in a row have had their manager come out with a bit of a tirade against the media.

Personnally i think it was anything but a tirade. Gavin was cold, calculated and measured in what he said. He's turned a situation where one of our marque players was deservedly banned for an unacceptable action towards a match official into creating a siege mentality in the squad.

The old "them and us" is always a good motivator.

Gavin doesn't do public rants. Most people with half a brain know this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

The only man to bring the dubs to a replay in an AI final in fairness to him!

The highest profile player to win absolutely nothing in 2016, while having the most money available to do so. Rinse and repeat 2017 it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Jayop wrote: »
    I think after a 500 point win or whatever it was isn't the best time to be talking about discontent in the camp.

:D .. I have to say I was crestfallen coming out we didn't get to 30 points...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Drumpot wrote: »
    I was also impressed with the application Dublin showed.

However, its still hard not to feel like they could still be caught out later in the Championship. I would prefer that they get a Monaghan or Mayo in the quarters. It would really help bring them on for the Semi's.

Careful what you wish for. They'll hit the ground running when they need to just like last year.

Think they're certain to run into Kerry before us though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Paulzx wrote: »
    Personnally i think it was anything but a tirade. Gavin was cold, calculated and measured in what he said. He's turned a situation where one of our marque players was deservedly banned for an unacceptable action towards a match official into creating a siege mentality in the squad.

The old "them and us" is always a good motivator.

Gavin doesn't do public rants. Most people with half a brain know this

First off, fair play for actually being honest enough and frankly, having the b*lls to discuss the thing. Plenty will be getting stuck into mayo at the next juncture and that is fine, as long as the same guys are able to talk about their own team when they are in the news. It is hard to have any respect for someone who isn't willing to do that.

I get what you are saying, but I don't know, the whole free speech thing was a bit much I thought. Like at the end of the day, spillane quoted the rule and verse that Connolly broke, is that even him speaking, or just the rule book?

Also, the siege mentality works when it is believable. I know the AOS diving thing last year irked the mayo lads, because they say that he was in fact fouled before the ball came in and the ref indicated that he gave the free for this foul, but the press ignored that completely. You can understand that genuinely annoying players and driving them together, and they were visibly better after that game.
    But do the dub players genuinely believe this spiel? Connolly pushed the linesman at the end of the day. Id imagine a lot of them were thinking, 'ffs not again, what are you at man?'. I suppose you have to wonder, if that was your own teammate how would you feel? Id probably be fairly miffed that he was so daft.

I agree he doesn't do public rants, and yet he just did a pretty big one. This is what Im wondering about. Maybe we are just expecting too much. Groups will have ups and downs over that kind of time period. If there was something going on and Dublin got a nice run to the semi, it could all be done with before the business end and we would be none the wiser. Just the luck you need I suppose

Jaden wrote: »
    The highest profile player to win absolutely nothing in 2016, while having the most money available to do so. Rinse and repeat 2017 it would seem.

Arguably the best manager in the country though, going on the same criteria..

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Ryaner179

Quick question if dublin win the all ireland could we see them refuse to take part in the sunday game after the final ceremony with RTE?

Ryaner179 wrote: »
    Quick question if dublin win the all ireland could we see them refuse to take part in the sunday game after the final ceremony with RTE?

Didn't we (tyrone) not allow the RTE cameras into our team meal after we won?

Precedence is there, although I think the issue with RTE and Tyrone was a genuine one, Gavin just seems to be using this as a tool to build a "them vs us" siege mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Dunno. Ask MayoAreMagic. Now that he's finished with his Junior Cert, he knows a lot more about what Jim Gavin and his back room team are thinking and planning, than any of us Dubs do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Of course they could refuse but is it really warranted? TSG often highlight one incident and let three other worse ones go unreported but it is usually the primetime teams who get closer scrutiny.
    It is the print media who is blowing things way out of proportion - they must feel like they have to sensationalise things to get clicks/comments/sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Its about time that post final cringe fest was discarded to history anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Stop quoting him. Please and thanks.

Got to see the full match anyway. I'm not going to over indulge too much. Westmeath were dire. They really were. They didn't tackle. No intensity. They didn't have any game plan. Their kick outs were atrocious. Worst team I've seen in Croker since Mayo in the league. THAT bad.

Positives...
    Mannion. Looked awesome and his technique is brilliant; speed of ball from hand to foot is as quick I've ever seen. But he got a lot of space. Needs to show it against blanket defences but he could be our go to man this year.

Really liking the McCarthy / Fenton combo in midfield. Miles above any other pairing in the country. By a long way in my book. Two unbelievably quick and intelligent players there.

Lowndes certainly showing what he's capable of. Gavin likes him and he's nailed on starter imo.

What's the jazz with Flynn? Carrying a knock. He looked super fit during the league.

On the Gavin thing? Meh. Think he's right to have a go at rags like Joe and Off The Ball etc. Their bias has been apparent for years, but think boycotting Rte is ott. Stick the boot into Spillane, his sngle was obvious, but move on quick. Was great to see both Brolly and Dolan call a spade a spade though last night. There are some neutrals out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Gavin may well be using it to form an "us v them" mentality but to be honest that's already there. IMO he's using this to take the pressure off the players and directing it onto himself.

Lets not forget that RTE aren't shy about asking managers will they step down after a big defeat or stick the oar in on contentious decisions.

What Spillane did, and he has every right to, was basically dare the CCCC to not ban Dermo. Did he honestly believe the ref and reserve ref not know the rules of the game when the incident happened? He knew the deal and used his position to ensure that action had to be taken. Especially by showing it in super slo-mo half a dozen times to drill it home. I believe it called being "cute" down his neck of the woods.

Now Gavin has decided he doesn't want to be part of that circus and he is perfectly entitled to do so. Remember he still answered their questions at the presser after the game but is not going to do them any favours from here on.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Anyone that's read any of my posts relating to Rte knows my opinion on them and their pundits. Pretty much all useless and if the game of on BBC or sky I'll watch it there. Gavin is entitled to do what he wants to but I just feel it's brought the whole thing up again and it's needless.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Stop quoting him. Please and thanks.

Got to see the full match anyway. I'm not going to over indulge too much. Westmeath were dire. They really were. They didn't tackle. No intensity. They didn't have any game plan. Their kick outs were atrocious. Worst team I've seen in Croker since Mayo in the league. THAT bad.

Positives...
    Mannion. Looked awesome and his technique is brilliant; speed of ball from hand to foot is as quick I've ever seen. But he got a lot of space. Needs to show it against blanket defences but he could be our go to man this year.

Really liking the McCarthy / Fenton combo in midfield. Miles above any other pairing in the country. By a long way in my book. Two unbelievably quick and intelligent players there.

Lowndes certainly showing what he's capable of. Gavin likes him and he's nailed on starter imo.

What's the jazz with Flynn? Carrying a knock. He looked super fit during the league.

On the Gavin thing? Meh. Think he's right to have a go at rags like Joe and Off The Ball etc. Their bias has been apparent for years, but think boycotting Rte is ott. Stick the boot into Spillane, his sngle was obvious, but move on quick. Was great to see both Brolly and Dolan call a spade a spade though last night. There are some neutrals out there!

What stuck out for me was that we rarely carried the ball into contact during the game. I just think the WM defenders couldn't get near it. The speed the ball was moved around was frightening and we stopped doing the aul basketball technique of passing behind with a blocker. It was direct quick and the number of reverse passes at pace was a joy to watch. There were times when I'm not sure the WM defenders even knew who had the ball. That to me was the biggest change I've seen in a while and we looked great.

Now that being said, from here on the games only get tougher. Kildare should be a step up in every department in 3 weeks but I wouldn't like to be a defender watching the video analysis and trying to figure out how to stop that.

From what I've seen so far Tyrone are probably the only team who could live with that kind of pace.

Slattsy wrote: »
    On the Gavin thing? Meh. Think he's right to have a go at rags like Joe and Off The Ball etc. Their bias has been apparent for years

OTB are generally very fair on Dublin I find, while Parkinson gets awful abuse from dubs - can you offer any examples of either being unfair on Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Anyone that's read any of my posts relating to Rte knows my opinion on them and their pundits. Pretty much all useless and if the game of on BBC or sky I'll watch it there. Gavin is entitled to do what he wants to but I just feel it's brought the whole thing up again and it's needless.

Who are the pundits on Sky and BBC NI,as I don't have Sky or watch the few games that are shown on BBC NI?.I would like to compare them with those on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Its not needless.

The refs report was changed on foot of the widespread coverage. I'm sure of it. It explains the u-turn in challenging the decision, Gavins completely out of character ire and the apparent senior counsel judgement that the case wouldn't stick.

If that is indeed true Gavin is fully justified in getting it off his chest. They've not got involved in the circus until this point so you'd forgive him fighting his corner.

Who are the pundits on Sky and BBC NI,as I don't have Sky or watch the few games that are shown on BBC NI?.I would like to compare them with those on RTE.

Sky last year had Jim McGuinness, James Horan and Senan Connell as Pundits with Peter Canavan doing some tactical work on a TV screen too. This year they've added Dick Clerkin.

The Sky coverage is absolutely top drawer.

For the BBC they seem to have had Oisin McConville and Martin McHugh but you see other lads who were prominent in Ulster football too the odd time like Owen Mulligan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Sky last year had Jim McGuinness, James Horan and Senan Connell as Pundits with Peter Canavan doing some tactical work on a TV screen too. This year they've added Dick Clerkin.

The Sky coverage is absolutely top drawer.

For the BBC they seem to have had Oisin McConville and Martin McHugh but you see other lads who were prominent in Ulster football too the odd time like Owen Mulligan.

Thank you.

corny wrote: »
    Its not needless.

The refs report was changed on foot of the widespread coverage. I'm sure of it. It explains the u-turn in challenging the decision, Gavins completely out of character ire and the apparent senior counsel judgement that the case wouldn't stick.

If that is indeed true Gavin is fully justified in getting it off his chest. They've not got involved in the circus until this point so you'd forgive him fighting his corner.

From listening to Gavin yesterday he seemed mighty annoyed that due process wasn't followed and made that very clear. As he's a member of the Air Corp I can see how that would really get under his skin.

Des Cahill was very quick to point out to the lads last night that Spillane wasn't there to defend himself. Where was the same concern when Spillane had his prepared speech eviscerating Dermo after the Carlow game?

JRant wrote: »
    From listening to Gavin yesterday he seemed mighty annoyed that due process wasn't followed and made that very clear. As he's a member of the Air Corp I can see how that would really get under his skin.

Des Cahill was very quick to point out to the lads last night that Spillane wasn't there to defend himself. Where was the same concern when Spillane had his prepared speech eviscerating Dermo after the Carlow game?

He did seem quite flustered alright, not his usual calm self. But what does he actually mean by due process in this context though? He seems to imply that nobody can mention anything that happens in a game until the refs report is out. Which in fairness is not realistic, or correct. The fact that he himself was in the process of talking about another game, before the refs report was out, kinda makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I think brolly is trying to do to spillane what he is claiming spillane done to connolly. In fairness to spillane, he was quoting the rule that connolly had broken. Is that really so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

If Dublin win the All Ireland there will be no one seen for months :)

I would have thought that people were sick and tired of seeing Jimbo and Clucko sitting there, year after year, surrounded by silverware, as Michael Lyster lobs in his searingly intelligent, Pulizer Prize winning calibre questions. :rolleyes:

So what do Mayo people think of resports of discord in the Mayo camp?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/mayo-players-held-secret-meeting-defeat-galway-128036?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=onsite_share

Sauce for the goose...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    Sauce for the goose...

True, but there's only one goose, let's not cook them all! Might not even be a goose either!

Goose coddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I would have thought that people were sick and tired of seeing Jimbo and Clucko sitting there, year after year, surrounded by silverware, as Michael Lyster lobs in his searingly intelligent, Pulizer Prize winning calibre questions. :rolleyes:

So what do Mayo people think of resports of discord in the Mayo camp?

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/mayo-players-held-secret-meeting-defeat-galway-128036?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=onsite_share

Sauce for the goose...

A player meeting to discuss a defeat? Hardly "discord".

Oh ok. Let's go with a meeting "to clear the air" shall we?

Does that sound warm & fuzzy enough for you?

Naturally, you'd never come across a Dub trying to use over the top phrases, to make something out to be a bigger deal than it actually is. We're much too fair minded for that. We leave that kind of malarkey to certain sections of the Mayo crowd. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oh ok. Let's go with a meeting "to clear the air" shall we?

Does that sound warm & fuzzy enough for you?

Naturally, you'd never come across a Dub trying to use over the top phrases, to make something out to be a bigger deal than it actually is. We're much too fair minded for that. We leave that kind of malarkey to certain sections of the Mayo crowd. ;)

I have literally no idea why you're being snarky tbh.
    Teams meet all the time to discuss defeats and wins - generally to discuss where things went right or wrong, what can be improved, etc. It's nothing new.
    The only difference here is that this article was originally published by the Connaught Telegraph by a journalist who is a known ****e stirrer and people want to make a big deal out of everything they do now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement