Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

That was great, got a good welcome in Tyrone again, good Tyrone people around us too, I was mixed in.

Just made Sally's at 10 for a steak on the way back

The traveling hill was in great song and to be honest I think it was welcomed there. When was the last time we were there for the championship?

Ref let lots go and suffered no fools either.

I was in the terrace directly opposite the smack Fenton got, it looked bad.

Apart from that it was much of a muchness for both teams.

I thought McCaffery covering the corner in the second half to prevent the option of a long diagonal ball from Tyrone was a great move.

Both teams set up pretty much the same in the first half with plenty behind the ball.

The Munch was ok on Sludden and Small did a great job on Hart.

In the first half there were nice points following lovely dink dummies from Howard, Caffery and Con.

The forwards on each team were well taken care of.

Tyrone picked it up for the last 15 and really gave it a good lash, nearly worked too, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Just home. Good game. I was impressed with Tyrone's intensity up until the final whistle, Cluxton was definitely rattled and offered up a few handy ones in the last 10-15 minutes.

I don't know why people are saying it never looked in doubt, if that free in injury time had gone over to take it to one point with the crowd whipped up and a bit of momentum behind the I'd have fancied Tyrone.

Goldrick was alright let a lot go for both teams, which is probably for the best. Otherwise he have had to pull it up every couple of minutes.
    Looked like Fento got a box in the ear at one stage and Manion got a slap while on the ground, wouldn't mind seeing those again on TV.
    I thought the Tyrone bench was going to storm the pitch after Dublin were given a point at the end of the first half that they had thought was wide. Looked good from where I was but it's hard to tell.
    The entire stand was up waving their hands.

Great to get out of there with two points and good craic with any of the locals I talked to up there.

I don't know why people are saying it never looked in doubt, if that free in injury time had gone over to take it to one point with the crowd whipped up and a bit of momentum behind the I'd have fancied Tyrone.

I agree, it was ropey for a while.

The push up Tyrone put on left big holes at the back for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Just home. Good game. I was impressed with Tyrone's intensity up until the final whistle, Cluxton was definitely rattled and offered up a few handy ones in the last 10-15 minutes.

Goldrick was alright let a lot go for both teams, which is probably for the best. Otherwise he have had to pull it up every couple of minutes.
    Looked like Fento got a box in the ear at one stage and Manion got a slap while on the ground, wouldn't mind seeing those again on TV.
    I thought the Tyrone bench was going to storm the pitch after Dublin were given a point at the end of the first half that they had thought was wide. Looked good from where I was but it's hard to tell.

Great to get out of there with two points and good craic with any of the locals I talked to up there.

We were in behind the goal and it was well over

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Was it just me or did Jimmy Mac have a real mare?

My vantage point did not help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I don't think we were ever going to lose that match and looked comfortable for most of it, but like others have touched on already, I'm starting to get a bit worried about the form of some of the forwards.

OK, we've so we've played two teams that set out not to lose games, rather than try win (Donegal specifically), with very defensive game plans, but Mannion and O'Callaghan are way off the pace. O'Callaghan over carrying consistently and Mannion seems like he's lacking some confidence. A fit again Paul Flynn must be pushing for a start..

I'm hoping we go for the jugular against Roscommon and we can rack up a good score going into the semi finals.

I'm very happy with our defense lately. We're rock solid, even though Tyrone left a few scores behind yesterday I thought Small and Cooper were immense. Philly looked back to somewhat like his best. Jack Mc very good and worth a mention.

Howard? Nothing needs to be said, just fablis. Himself and Fenton are going to be some partnership for years.

I've a feeling we'll have Monaghan, and they'll be anti football again and will have no interest in playing to win, just keeping the game as tight as possible for as long as possible. But these two games will stand to us, just keep doing what we're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Shout out to young Eoin Murchan, he's had two very fine games. Serious prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I was watching it on the tell myself. Enjoyed it, both teams had a good go of each other. Thought Goldrick had an ok game. Missed a couple of obvious frees for both teams but that happens.

On the 2 incidents with Fenton and Mannion, I'd expect a one week ban for both players similar to what Smalls got. The Mannion one was possibly worse. Looked like the Tyrone player racked his face and caught his eyes. Pretty nasty being honest.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Jamesie had one of his worst outings in a Dublin shirt that I can remember (save the goal). I thought he windied out of a couple of breaking balls, poor handling for others when he was expecting contact and at least 2 of those instances where he didn't claim the ball resulted in Tyrone points. I have a feeling that he may have been carrying a knock into the game.

Long day out but enjoyable to experience a real away day championship atmosphere. Worrying again that Con and mannion are struggling for scores - Cons effort that hit the post at the end was really poor and it was an opportunity to settle the game down, in saying that both of those lads had a massive game tracking and defending.

Cooper and Howard were majestic in a game that showed that amongst everything else this team is defensively on a par with any that's played the game, their tackling and positioning chokes nearly every avenue of attack, Harte and Sludden hardly got a sniff.

Any chance we could get Facebook to get a campaign going for the Ros game to be played on Hyde, Croker is not the place for that one imo.

We were saying the same, he got the goal, but spilled a lot of ball, unusual for him

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote:
    Jamesie had one of his worst outings in a Dublin shirt that I can remember (save the goal). I thought he windied out of a couple of breaking balls, poor handling for others when he was expecting contact and at least 2 of those instances where he didn't claim the ball resulted in Tyrone points. I have a feeling that he may have been carrying a knock into the game.

One ball in the first half he was caught badly watching the man and missed the ball completely

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Any chance we could get Facebook to get a campaign going for the Ros game to be played on Hyde, Croker is not the place for that one imo.

Parnell Park would be as good, any where but Croker. Will they even get 10000 at it now that it's a dead rubber game?

If they keep it in Croker, they should drop the price to a fiver or even free, possibly the only way that they'll have even a hint of atmosphere at it.

DoctaDee wrote:

Good idea, but give yourself an infraction for mentioning Facebook.

You could argue it's promoting bringing people to another site if you bring a DRP against yourself

Stoner wrote: »
    Good idea, but give yourself an infraction for mentioning Facebook.

You could argue it's promoting bringing people to another site if you bring a DRP against yourself

:D I was referring to those Facebook fan page that have the stand up/sit down clap, buy don't buy campaigns .. I sorta forgot the U20 final as part of the Ros game package, it's unlikely it'll move on that basis - really need to get jedward back in Croker to sell tickets for this one!

DoctaDee wrote:
    I was referring to those Facebook fan page that have the stand up/sit down clap

I know, I was just give you a technical reason to ban yourself.

I neither stand up nor sit down for those things.

I did the one for the two lads alright. Funny thing last night were we pointing to the spot where we use to see their vehicle parked.

They won't move the Ros game, too many corporate seats will be booked out.

You can't get pulled pork in Parnell Park

And you don't get the bang of wiz when you walk into CP.

So for the business end one of those forwards is going to lose their spot imo.

Kilkenny and Rock would start , but Flynn must be pushing for a spot now too.

O'Callahan might lose out.

I think Flynn will start versus Roscommon. Lowdnes too, Byrne must be worried he's hasn't been getting a decent championship run recently.

I am not so sure how big an advantage home was for Tyrone last night. There was a huge Dublin crowd there with all the season tickets.

The supper 8s might be good for season ticket sales in other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

O'Callahan might lose out.

I think Flynn will start versus Roscommon. Lowdnes too, Byrne must be worried he's hasn't been getting a decent championship run recently.

Grand, if his from continues to be poor, he might consider going back to the code he excels in :D

Pat Gilroy says he's been shaking every tree in Dublin for hurlers, he might be out in Dalkey with his ladder soon

I know, I was just give you a technical reason to ban yourself.

I neither stand up nor sit down for those things.

I did the one for the two lads alright. Funny thing last night were we pointing to the spot where we use to see their vehicle parked.

They won't move the Ros game, too many corporate seats will be booked out.

You can't get pulled pork in Parnell Park

And you don't get the bang of wiz when you walk into CP.

Ah yeah the Harris brothers were a different situation altogether, quite poignant in the same manner as the tribute to Stynes.

Pulled pork in the corporates? Steak on the way home last night jaysis Stoner you could do one of those diners drive in and dives episodes.

Back in the day when games used to throw in during the holy hour I used to go with my Da, as a young lad the amonia would sting yer eyes as all the old boys unloaded up against the concrete walls and rivers of piss would pass by yer toes :(

Cusack PK Mullingar wins my vote, it was some ordeal to hold a breath for 2 mins in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ah lads....my stomach...puts down brunch Mimosa and sourdough French toast ciabatta....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Agreed, if Dublin hadn't scored a goal it would have been a draw.

Quite nervous toward the end there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He scored a goal but apart from that, he was poor.

Last week against Donegal he kicked two bad wides when Dublin had lengthy possession. Just watching back the recording and last night, he lost the ball in the 47th minute after Dublin had patiently worked it around for two minutes to create an opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    ... really need to get jedward back in Croker to sell tickets for this one!

Featuring brush shields. :)

In all seriousness though flying Paddy Reilly in from Florida would be an idea. Coincide nicely with the 30th anniversary of flight of earls hitting number 1 and the 35th anniversary of fields of athenry.

He is after all a Dubliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

blanch152 wrote: »
    He scored a goal but apart from that, he was poor.

Last week against Donegal he kicked two bad wides when Dublin had lengthy possession. Just watching back the recording and last night, he lost the ball in the 47th minute after Dublin had patiently worked it around for two minutes to create an opening.

That was the exact moment I wanted him hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,772 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

STB. wrote: »
    Featuring brush shields. :)

In all seriousness though flying Paddy Reilly in from Florida would be an idea. Coincide nicely with the 30th anniversary of flight of earls hitting number 1 and the 35th anniversary of fields of athenry.

He is after all a Dubliner.

Jayus I remember Brush was tearing around Croke Park in the lashing rain.

It was for half time of an International/Compromise Rules game years ago.

Australian fella turns around and says "We have idiots like this in Australia too"

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Ah yeah, but this is Ireland. It's much easier to just blame the Brits for everything. Sure I do it meself if I get a paper cut, a lukewarm latte, or a dodgy sausage roll. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, the truth could be somewhere in the middle - some technician who was looking at the location simply "wondered" whether there would be enough room for the equipment, and before you know it the pitch is being narrowed even though nobody asked for it.

I've seen stuff like this happen enough to know how things can grow legs without anyone having the presence of mind to say, "Hang on a sec, is this even necessary?"

That said, what's the point in talking about it? Both teams played on the same pitch, so nobody was disadvantaged.

• Advertisement

Ah here. Slicing two feet off the side of the pitch is pretty major thing to be doing the day before the biggest game of the year is about to be played on it. It's not something that would be done, just because some technican wondered aloud about the amount of space between the pitch and the sideline. Am also at a loss to know what exactly Sky needed all this myserious amount of room for. I've watched loads of Tyrone champo games on the telly. If the space in Healy Park wasn't a problem for the cameras before, why is it a problem now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement