Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Mount Carmel Lying In Establishment For Expectant Ladies Of Excepionally Refined Breeding (the nations only private maternity hospital back then) is in da house.

Sure, I came out of the womb holding a prawn sambo and a glass of champers, roysh ! :D
    Born on the North Circular Road across the road from the old market in 1961. Born with the smell of cow ****e coming in the window. Some would say I turned out alright!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So alright, you said it twice !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Hatch street nursing home, birthplace of Michael o Leary, Denis o Brien and me . We've done well for ourselves I tell ya

Where exactly on Hatch St was that?

Is it conflated with the other one that was Earlsfort Terrace?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Squareball wrote:
    Born on the North Circular Road across the road from the old market in 1961. Born with the smell of cow ****e coming in the window. Some would say I turned out alright!!!

A cow Towner? I've a brother your age from the NCR too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Where exactly on Hatch St was that?

Is it conflated with the other one that was Earlsfort Terrace?

I think it was lower hatch street Bonnie, not sure exactly where, I remember it being pointed out to me as a young lad as we passed it a few times. The one on earlfort tce was Stella Maris nursing home - I think there were a fair few of them around back in the day. I'd say the proximity of holles Street had a lot to do with their location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

If anybody isn't going to the game on Sunday it will actually be on TV- RTE News Now (Sky channel 521 I think?):
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-roscommon-game-relegated-in-the-tv-schedules-1.3581197

According to the above they're expecting a measly crowd, which I'm not surprised about at all. Would be insane giving a dead-rubber game top billing. I'll be there, as usual, but this is an instance where there'd almost be a case to be made for Parnell Park holding it (almost).

There will be a decent number of Mayo folk there for the U20 final. PP isn't big enough to hold both sets of supporters.

There will be a decent number of Mayo folk there for the U20 final. PP isn't big enough to hold both sets of supporters.

Ah I know, hence why I said 'almost' twice!

30-35k at a push for the game though. That's a March attendance figure sadly. Still looking forward to another Dubs day out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,773 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

frankled wrote: »
    If anybody isn't going to the game on Sunday it will actually be on TV- RTE News Now (Sky channel 521 I think?):
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-roscommon-game-relegated-in-the-tv-schedules-1.3581197

According to the above they're expecting a measly crowd, which I'm not surprised about at all. Would be insane giving a dead-rubber game top billing. I'll be there, as usual, but this is an instance where there'd almost be a case to be made for Parnell Park holding it (almost).

Thanks I always forget the RTE News Now has the odd sports game on it.

Pity it is not in Parnell there would be a bit more atmosphere at it.

I feel sorry for Roscommon. Seems to me they have the players but have poor tactics, thier sideline has a lot to answer for.
    Their players are very loose, same stupid mistakes for the last two years at least

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭paulbok

Would be worth it to p1$$ off Donegal re: the home game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,026 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Did ye hear about the latest GAA initiative that's going to be trialled the day of the Dublin semi final.

No booze for sale in the Cusack Stand.

Talk about fcukin daft. Either ban it everywhere or don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

BPKS wrote: »
    Did ye hear about the latest GAA initiative that's going to be trialled the day of the Dublin semi final.

😂😂😂
    Yeah if it were true and you were remotely arsed getting a pint you can walk around to the Canal/Hogan and get one.

Why are they banning it?

BPKS wrote: »

They seem to only let the yanks get tanked in Croker.

Remember those College American football games?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/croke-park-drinks-ban-lifted-for-us-football-match-but-not-for-gaa-games-30548307.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Why are they banning it?

Not sure if they are banning it but they should. I know a few pints before a game and after is a bit of crack and part of a great day out but it should not be sold in the ground considering the problem we as a country have with drink.

People going out for pints and coming back in when game has restarted is pain in the b****x.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Wouldn't it make more sense to make the canal end the alcohol free area? It's the dedicated family stand though I know a couple of sections in the Cusack are family designated too.
    It doesn't make much difference to me as I rarely drink at games these day.
    The only drink I've had in Croker since the final last year was at Taylor Swift.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The eventers who spend half their time milling pints and hot dogs are serious pain in the butt. Which is why the Hill is most preferable location as contrary to myth is first place to fill up when Dublin are playing and if you take too long coming back you have no seat number!

Whatever about having a pint before or after a game, never saw the attraction of major queue to get one at half time. Once saw chap trying to drink a pint which he was holding between two other pints. Was quite a spectacle which much amused mt then 8 year old daughter.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make the canal end the alcohol free area? It's the dedicated family stand though I know a couple of sections in the Cusack are family designated too.
    It doesn't make much difference to me as I rarely drink at games these day.
    The only drink I've had in Croker since the final last year was at Taylor Swift.

The pints are terrible watery stuff in plastic containers not worth it (the guinness is anyway).
    You would have to pay me to drink it.
    Taylor Swift wouldn't be drinking the stuff that's for sure!

If you want a good pint close to the game then the handball club is good option as opposed to the slop served in HQ. Which I suspect is reason they tried to close it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I always get a pint at HT season ticket is for the Cusack, never any queues at the card only section, have it drank, watered and back to me seat well before throw in...

Each to their own and all that..

• Advertisement

I always get a pint at HT season ticket is for the Cusack, never any queues at the card only section, have it drank, watered and back to me seat well before throw in...

Wouldn't like to be in your round :D

In fairness to CP (can't believe I just typed that) I don't know of many sporting stadiums, or concert venues that can offer up drinkable, draught Guinesss. It is hard to do, unless they have permanantly installed bars that are (a) constantly in use (b) have properly trained staff pulling the pints (c) have the Guiness kegs stored at the correct temperatures (d) have lines and taps that are properly maintained and serviced by trained personel & are also at the correct temperature.

The staff in CP tend to be young kids. I feel a bit dodge expecting a properly cooked burger from them, never mind a properly pulled pint.

If they are going to bar booze sales anywhere, do it in Hogan. Or else keep the space behind the stand free and clear for people to move about it and get to their seats. It is a pain in the backside having to fight your way thru the mass of bodies swilling pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

The pints are terrible watery stuff in plastic containers not worth it (the guinness is anyway).
    I always thought the porter was of a shockingly high standard.
    The plastic cup is a disgrace to the pint, but I don't think I've ever had an issue with it's contents. There must be a few hundred litres running through the line of a big match day.
    It might seem watery if you're slurping the top off the cup as you walk away from the bar because you don't want it to spill

It might not look the picturesque pint of plain your local purveyor of porter provides, with a convex meniscus and a single bead of condensation trickling down the outside, but there are plenty of public houses in Dublin serving an inferior pint.

Christ, I've a thirst.

"Convex meniscus." …….. I know I could google it but just want to dwell on the poetical nature of it as applied to a pint.

Flann O'Brien would be proud of you!

Card only section? This intrigues me...

Bonniedog wrote: »
    "Convex meniscus." …….. I know I could google it but just want to dwell on the poetical nature of it as applied to a pint.

Flann O'Brien would be proud of you!

If I google that, am I gonna see pix of people with rubber tubes shoved up their unmentionables and, the remnants of their First Communion meal from 1974 displayed for the whole world to see? :o

Card only section? This intrigues me...

He's probably from some posh place like St. Monica's. They wouldn't like to be mingling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Is the Hill on a Dublin match day alright for a 7 year old or better off heading to stand?

munster87 wrote: »
    Is the Hill on a Dublin match day alright for a 7 year old or better off heading to stand?

Well, if you want your child to be carried off into white slavery, take your chance...

You should be well able to find a spot a small person will see the game from on Sunday. Head up to upper part on Cusack side. Be pretty sparse I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yeah it's not great on a busy day for a kid.

It was ok years ago for me when it was nearly empty at hurling league games as you'd find a spot with nobody in front of you.

If it's packed he might see very little.

What game were you bringing him too,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement