Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Stoner wrote: »
    Yeah it's not great on a busy day for a kid.

It was ok years ago for me when it was neai empty at hurling league games as you'd find a spot with nobody in front of you.

If it's packed he might see very little.

What game were you bringing him too,

Heading in on Sunday. I was thinking the hill wouldn’t be too crowded for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

munster87 wrote:
    Heading in on Sunday. I was thinking the hill wouldn’t be too crowded for it.

Yeah you'd find a spot I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

munster87 wrote: »
    Is the Hill on a Dublin match day alright for a 7 year old or better off heading to stand?

No, I brought the 9 year old son to the hill for the first time last year, it was a lil too heavy for him. He was frightened. To us it's just normal but to a young child it's a no go IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

No, I brought the 9 year old son to the hill for the first time last year, it was a lil too heavy for him. He was frightened. To us it's just normal but to a young child it's a no go IMO

My lad who is 8, has asked me to bring him to the Hill but on the strength of that i think i will leave it for a bit.

He is still in recovery after i brought him to the battle of Tralee a couple of years ago:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    My lad who is 8, has asked me to bring him to the Hill but on the strength of that i think i will leave it for a bit.

He is still in recovery after i brought him to the battle of Tralee a couple of years ago:D

Stick to the kids zones I think, the kids get more out of it when they see other kids getting into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I started to bring my 9 year old this year, his biggest problem is the standing time esp for double headers, but in fairness us aul chaps feel it in the feet too. As you come up the tunnel onto the hill there's a raised platform where the stewards stand he would generally squeeze in the corner there without to many problems.

Alternatively if you turn left as you come out the tunnel and left again there's a row of terraces that only accommodate 2-3 people and I've seen many young lads stationed there away from the bulk of the supporters. Sunday will be no problem, bring him along, plenty of room for him to sit down during the game too - just position yourself beside a crash barrier..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The problem with bringing chislers on Sunday, is that a very low attendance is expected. Consequently, only the middle section of the Hill is likely to be open. The two side sections will be closed & everyone will be packed in like sardines, to the central section behind the goal. It will be uncomfortable enough for a grown up, never mind a kid. It will also be hard for him to see the action on the pitch, with all the tall bodies in front of him.

That being said, people are usually very good natured & more than willing to shift around for a kid, or let a kid stand in front of them, or sit on the barrier in front of them, so they can see better. I've seen loads of kids on the Hill over the years & they all seem to be having a blast. The trick is to get there early & get a good spot behind a barrier that you can set up camp at, so you aren't depending on the kindness of others later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

I always buy overpriced beer there after waiting in a ridiculous queue at HT. I have never seen any trouble with people getting aggressively drunk.

Anyone need three cussack stand seats together tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Dubs v Galway in the semi final next Saturday. Don’t know what to make of Galway but they are absolutely ****e today.

Can’t see them causing Dublin much hassle at all.

• Advertisement

Wow. Did not see that coming at all. Massive fair play to Monaghan for bouncing back so well after last weeks heartbreaking finish. Regardless of how our year ends up, it's gonna feel very strange not playing Mayo or Kerry at all this summer. I won't be sorry to take a break from all the history, baggage, emotional hoopla, media circuses etc etc that they both bring to the table in spades. (As do we.) But still....it just feels weird, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Wow. Did not see that coming at all. Massive fair play to Monaghan for bouncing back so well after last weeks heartbreaking finish. Regardless of how our year ends up, it's gonna feel very strange not playing Mayo or Kerry at all this summer. I won't be sorry to take a break from all the history, baggage, emotional hoopla, media circuses etc etc that they both bring to the table in spades. (As do we.) But still....it just feels weird, doesn't it?

Deliciously weird. Delighted to see the back of "themmuns" today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Dubs v Galway in the semi final next Saturday. Don’t know what to make of Galway but they are absolutely ****e today.

Hard to know isn’t it.

I’ve just had a fright thinking Dublin lose to Galway while on the other side Tyrone beat donegal and Monaghan. Pass me the sick bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,773 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hard to know isn’t it.

I’ve just had a fright thinking Dublin lose to Galway while on the other side Tyrone beat donegal and Monaghan. Pass me the sick bucket.

I honestly can't see Dublin loosing to any of those teams.

Tyrone are scared of Dublin as was seen in Omagh (unless they were just trying to avoid a hammering.)

Donegal are missing thier best player (But I would still consider them the main danger - Murphy moved to the forward line again?)

Monaghan have been doing a power of work for the past few years, great to see.
    But it is basically a put cooper on McManus job, and it removes nearly all thier threat.

Galway drive thier supporters mad. This Tyrone defensive tactic is great when you win games but looks awful when you hit a low score.
    Great Galway forwards but luckily for Dublin they hardly get the most out of them.
    Galway's only hope is a decent row and they might get revenge for 83.

I believe in Kerry parlance this could be a 'soft all-ireland'.
    As far as I am concerned long may it continue!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Dublin beat them in the league final having only resumed full training 2 weeks previous - I think there is a big gulf in class between the 2 teams personally and in a roundabout way there might be a greater appreciation for the efforts of those Mayo lads of the last few years. Either way I'll be near enough the last person on the planet to know the result cruising at 36,000 feet next Sunday. Enjoy the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Dublin beat them in the league final having only resumed full training 2 weeks previous - I think there is a big gulf in class between the 2 teams personally and in a roundabout way there might be a greater appreciation for the efforts of those Mayo lads of the last few years. Either way I'll be near enough the last person on the planet to know the result cruising at 36,000 feet next Sunday. Enjoy the game...

Yeah I have been sort of using Kildare as a yardstick this year. Given the game last week I can't see Dublin not beating Galway with points to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

This is the year we shouldn't doubt it.

I hope that doesn't bite but we are well better than these teams.

Let's get over next Saturday first. Get the forwards firing tomorrow.

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    This is the year we shouldn't doubt it.

I hope that doesn't bite but we are well better than these teams.

Let's get over next Saturday first. Get the forwards firing tomorrow.

And the way it worked out Dublin can even have a rest if needs be.

It couldn't have been set up better if you tried

Then a semi-final against a Galway team who are bound to have doubts after the Monaghan game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I guess we'll be hiding out here, now that the other page has descended into chaos.

Dying to read the Times on Wednesday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

No me neither. Good team and they'll leave yesterdays performance behind them but we saw what Dublin did to a good team in last years semi final. I'm expecting a similar type of game and result.

Roscommon could do us a favour today and defend the way they've been defending in their two previous games. Poor form and/or low confidence would soon be forgotten about if that naivety continues. I think they'll try ultra defensive against Dublin though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

Then a semi-final against a Galway team who are bound to have doubts after the Monaghan game.

Really? Galway had nothing to play for against Monaghan and played that match with one eye on a semi-final. I think they'll up their game for Dublin. I doubt it'll be enough and I still think they're too negative when it comes down to it, but I don't think we'll see the usual inept Croke Park performance that we've seen from them in the past.

PressRun wrote: »
    Really? Galway had nothing to play for against Monaghan and played that match with one eye on a semi-final. I think they'll up their game for Dublin. I doubt it'll be enough and I still think they're too negative when it comes down to it, but I don't think we'll see the usual inept Croke Park performance that we've seen from them in the past.

I can see Galway freezing and getting themsleves in knots.
    Conroy a big loss to them.

I can see Galway freezing and getting themsleves in knots. Conroy a big loss to them.

That lad Cooke is a better player imo, fantastic against Kerry in the U21 last year, don't know why they took him off last night though.

Any word on when semifinal tickets go on sale? Asking for the brother. I'm sorted with the PP, so I don't usually pay it any mind. Will it be tonight, or 9am tomorrow morning?

The GAA - with typical inefficiency - have nothing on their website or Twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Didn't see or hear anything today, only the result.

I'll hold judgment until I see the game, but my first reaction was not of joy at our score, but of worry at what Roscommon but up.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Slattsy wrote: »
    Didn't see or hear anything today, only the result.

I'll hold judgment until I see the game, but my first reaction was not of joy at our score, but of worry at what Roscommon but up.

Roscommon came and played football, unlike any other Connacht or Ulster team from the last half-decade.

Costello, O'Gara, Flynn, all had good games. Andrews was disappointing again. O'Sullivan imperious at the back. Roscommon got 0-7 before half-time and O'Sullivan and McCaffrey went off at half-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Not sure you can take a huge amount from a game like that but Costello probably did enough to make himself nailed on for a place. Even taking away his contribution on the scoreboard he was our most lively forward in open play.

O'Gara showed there's still life in him too. Seems to have lost weight and he linked better than ever i've seen him in the past. Fair play to him. I had him written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

corny wrote: »
    Not sure you can take a huge amount from a game like that but Costello probably did enough to make himself nailed on for a place. Even taking away his contribution on the scoreboard he was our most lively forward in open play.

O'Gara showed there's still life in him too. Seems to have lost weight and he linked better than ever i've seen him in the past. Fair play to him. I had him written off.

It really was about shuffling around the places from 12 to 26.

The first 11 - Cluxton, O'Sullivan, Cooper, McCaffrey, McCarthy, Fenton, Howard, Kilkenny, Mannion, Rock, Scully - are nailed on certainties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

blanch152 wrote: »
    Roscommon came and played football, unlike any other Connacht or Ulster team from the last half-decade.

Costello, O'Gara, Flynn, all had good games. Andrews was disappointing again. O'Sullivan imperious at the back. Roscommon got 0-7 before half-time and O'Sullivan and McCaffrey went off at half-time.

Well we all knew they'd come and try to play a bit of ball, it doesn't really excuse the score they managed to put up. That'd win most games! Ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement