Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

All the talk will be about the two goals conceded in a nothing game

Flynn is not a midfielder imo

Costello looks sharp

O'Gara is still a bull. Loved his second goal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Didn't see ye're game yesterday but just read that Brogan came on.

Terrific news. A remarkable recovery for a guy in the twilight of his career.

Shows how much football means to him, to have won so much and still burst his bollix to get back playing for maybe one more year.

You really have to appreciate legends like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Tickets for Saturday on sale now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DDC1990 wrote: »

Shows how much football means to him, to have won so much and still burst his bollix to get back playing for maybe one more year.

Very well said.

I'm delighted for Berno that his year will end in Croke Park and, not hobbling off the Inisfails training pitch in February. That being said, his cameo yesterday was a gentle 5 minute trot about the place, with no one laying a glove on him. There were no mad runs into the corner chasing down high balls. There was no need to make his trademark turn on a six pence swivel and bang the ball over the bar, with 3 hard men hanging out of him. I hope he gets to end his year - and maybe his career - with another appearance on the biggest day of all, but I wouldn't be banking on it. If a game is in the melting pot against Galway/Tyrone/Monaghan, I can see Jim Gavin going with someone who he knows 100% possesses a knee that can withstand the absolute chaos and carnage that such a situation can bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Very well said.

I'm delighted for Berno that his year will end in Croke Park and, not hobbling off the Inisfails training pitch in February. That being said, his cameo yesterday was a gentle 5 minute trot about the place, with no one laying a glove on him. There were no mad runs into the corner chasing down high balls. There was no need to make his trademark turn on a six pence swivel and bang the ball over the bar, with 3 hard men hanging out of him. I hope he gets to end his year - and maybe his career - with another appearance on the biggest day of all, but I wouldn't be banking on it. If a game is in the melting pot against Galway/Tyrone/Monaghan, I can see Jim Gavin going with someone who he knows 100% possesses a knee that can withstand the absolute chaos and carnage that such a situation can bring.

I can see Bernard adapting to the 'Vinny Murphy thurles 2001' role.
    Great sub to bring on and it will give the team a lift if they are in trouble (trouble rarely happens these days thankfully!).
    He seems like a decent sort of fella as well, from watching him at the sideline at a Plunketts game in Parnell earlier this year, he was kicking every ball with the team constantly encouraging the other lads.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

DDC1990 wrote: »

His wife recently had twins. I'm more impressed he managed to stay awake long enough to make it to the match tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Can anyone else see the Dublin semi on tickets.ie? Not showing for me at all. Upper tiers available on Ticketmaster but looking for a Hill and I like to avoid giving money to that shower where possible.

I've four Parnell Passes anyway but have a fifth person home for the weekend and previous experience says the ticket office won't sell extras at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭thetimeisnow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Thanks for that. Five tickets in the bag and saved me skipping lunch to walk to Dorset Street tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is the full Roscommon game available to view online anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Slattsy wrote: »

Trust me, keep it to the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/the-sunday-game-live-1374/10916629/

The RTE Player seems to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

I have a really bad feeling for this game on Saturday. I think the lack of hype for a semi-final is amazing actually and is adding to my worries. The “Gavin does not do complacency” argument does not work for me and Galway’s display last weekend makes me think they were planning for this. “Who would ever plan to play the GOAT as a choice in a semi” I hear you ask, but I can’t get past is……..Something just does not feel right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Squareball wrote: »
    I have a really bad feeling for this game on Saturday. I think the lack of hype for a semi-final is amazing actually and is adding to my worries. The “Gavin does not do complacency” argument does not work for me and Galway’s display last weekend makes me think they were planning for this. “Who would ever plan to play the GOAT as a choice in a semi” I hear you ask, but I can’t get past is……..Something just does not feel right.

Gavin doesn't do complacency. I woudln't be worried about the game. And I mean that not in the cocky sense, just that the calendar this year doesn't lend itself to proper buid ups to anything. It's a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

Gavin doesn't do complacnecy. I woudln't be worried about the game. And I mean that not in the cocky sense, just that the calendar this year doesn't lend itself to proper buid ups to anything. It's a shambles.

Yeah completely agree with everything there. Only 6 days to build up to a semi is unfair. I hope neither team have any players who might miss it due to a wee niggle that another week would have cleared. That’s more so I suppose for Galway as Dublin have been here before.

For the likes of Monaghan, a small county, another week would have done wonders for fundraising. You know that oul saying “defeat is an orphan, success has many fathers” or something. Another 7 days could wrangle some serious cash from people, especially with the promise of a ticket for the final.

Bought the herald today for old times sake, 3 days before a semi final and no insight into Dublin/Galway.

Just rehashed text about Dublin's fringe players and no mention of the potential tactics from either team, never mind matchups.
    You could write it in your sleep.

Big pictures though, lots of blue.

"Deliberately throwing a game? Shower of feckin' eegits ! We'll try to keep the score down lads, but we can't promise anything."

Articles with those headlines, may cause a teeny, weeny bit of a problem. They're sensitive sorts out whest, as we know only too well. So maybe it's for the best? ;)

"Deliberately throwing a game? Shower of feckin' eegits ! We'll try to keep the score down lads, but we can't promise anything."

Articles with those headlines, may cause a teeny, weeny bit of a problem. They're sensitive sorts out whest, as we know only too well. So maybe it's for the best? ;)

What's this now?

Nothing. Nothing all. Nothing to see here now. Move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

I have an Upper Cusack ticket (section 710) if anybody is stuck?

Face value (€45), can meet in town on the day or organise something else (Paypal/email), I bought it myself on Tickets.ie for a friend who already had a ticket, and tickets.ie don't do refunds as I found out today the hard way today.

My name on the ticket, and I have a season ticket myself- in case there are any fears of printing a duplicate copy...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nothing. Nothing all. Nothing to see here now. Move along.

Had my mam's coddle at the weekend, hadn't had it in years. Was lovely, and what's even better is both my kids loved it as well. My Meath wife was sickened.

Where's a good bar for watching the match in town? Can't hit Gaffneys or any of my usual ones out that way, as I'm meeting some folks in town to watch the match.

There, that should be everything moved on enough.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Had my mam's coddle at the weekend, hadn't had it in years. Was lovely, and what's even better is both my kids loved it as well. My Meath wife was sickened.

Where's a good bar for watching the match in town? Can't hit Gaffneys or any of my usual ones out that way, as I'm meeting some folks in town to watch the match.

My usual gaa pub is Red Parrot for the football and McGrath's for hurling. No idea why it's stacked that way but tradition has dictated it thus.

As regards watching Dublin matches in town I would be of a mind to hit Chaplin's on Hawkins St or my personal favourite haunt Briody's on Marlborough Street.

Lord rest the soul of the Sackville Lounge for matches.

If you wanna go upmarket to my favourite boozer of all, but I only ever watch rugby in, go to The Swan on Aungier St.

CatInABox wrote: »

That's your problem, right there.

What would any of the barbarian hordes from Mordor (you're a mod, so I'll refrain from calling your good lady an orc) know about the culinary wonder that is a good coddle?

What's our current threat level btw....are we at Def Con Coddle 3 yet?

Hopefully it don't matter over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Briody's is a good call.

Just as a heads up - anyone on the hill or in uncovered sections of the stand - heavy rain predicted during the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Galway might have a better chance against Dublin that against Tyrone or Monaghan in a neutral venue, but at Croke? Cmon, they were never trying to lose vs Monaghan. Congratulations to Dublin for getting the easier draw. Could've easily been an epic Ulster AI final otherwise.

CatInABox wrote:

Give her what she didn't eat for breakfast

Why aren't you going to the game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

My usual gaa pub is Red Parrot for the football and McGrath's for hurling. No idea why it's stacked that way but tradition has dictated it thus.

As regards watching Dublin matches in town I would be of a mind to hit Chaplin's on Hawkins St or my personal favourite haunt Briody's on Marlborough Street.

Lord rest the soul of the Sackville Lounge for matches.

If you wanna go upmarket to my favourite boozer of all, but I only ever watch rugby in, go to The Swan on Aungier St.

I always liked O'sheas on lower Gardiner street for watching matches.

The Sackville sorely missed, great for the horse racing too. And an early enough pint if you were that way inclined.

What's the stout like in Briody's? Been a long while since I've passed through the doors.

The quality of stout dictates where I grace with my presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I was never in the Sackville for a game but used to meet up there afterwards. Great on a good day when you could drink in the street and get a hotdog off the grill.

Is the Hideout still open?

• Advertisement

The Sackville sorely missed, great for the horse racing too. And an early enough pint if you were that way inclined.

What's the stout like in Briody's? Been a long while since I've passed through the doors.

The quality of stout dictates where I grace with my presence.

You can be sured if I go to a boozer the stout is tip top.

I f**king love that bar. The sackville and Kennedy's closing are crimes argains Dublin humanity. Briody's will be not long for this world I assure you once the messing starts with that hotel.
    I was never in the Sackville for a game but used to meet up there afterwards. Great on a good day when you could drink in the street and get a hotdog off the grill.

Is the Hideout still open?

Last time I was in the Hideout was for Leinster-Munster in the ERC SF in 2009. Wow.

No idea if it re-opened after a closure.

The Hogan Stand across the way is a fine establishment. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement