Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Stoner wrote: »
    Give her what she didn't eat for breakfast

Why aren't you going to the game ?

I'd organised drinks with a few lads that I haven't seen in ages, and as one is more of a rugby head, and the other's from a neutral county, I didn't want to be dragging them to a game that they might not be interested in, so a good Dublin pub in town was the next best thing.

Was driving today and could hear my phone hopping in the car. It turns out that one of them hit upon the rather excellent idea of actually going to the match, so the other agreed, and booked tickets then and there, so it turns out that I'm going to the match after all, and I didn't even have to lift a finger to convince/cajole anyone. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Delira for ya. With luck like that, you should put a cheeky fiver on Clucko scoring a hat trick (for us) on Saturday. Easy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

Might be of interest to someone going to the game at the weekend.

I logged into GRMA ( GAA loyalty scheme - grma.gaa.ie ) and they have a voucher for the matches at the weekend. If you are in before the first match - i.e before the minor game , it is two for the price of one on food and refreshments.

You need to log into the GRMA website to get it.

More about this offer

Hunger shouldn’t distract you on match day - we want you fully focussed in time for throw-in!
    So we have an early bird treat for GRMA members; Purchase any hot food (Main Course, Burger, Hot Dog) on a match day before the whistle of the first match, get the second one for free! Valid at 1884 public concession units on Level 3 and 7 and Premium level Snack units on Level 4 & 5 (401, 431, 504, 507, Celtic Carvery, 517, 519, 522, 529, Hogan Carvery) in Croke Park.

One item per voucher.

Vouchers are valid for the below dates only in 2018 – 14th, 15th, 28th, 29th of July; 5th, 11th, 12th of August; 9th, 19th of September.

The voucher cannot be used in conjunction with any other voucher, promotion or deal at the catering outlet in which the customer is ordering.

The voucher is redeemable at the above units before the advertised time of the start of the first match.

The customer must pay for any additional items ordered.

If a voucher is not redeemed within the valid period then it will become obsolete and no refund will be issued.

A catering outlet will refuse a voucher if it outside of the valid dates.

The voucher cannot be redeemed for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Anyone interested in my voucher drop me a PM. I can email it on when I get the chance. I am in Australia though so if the PM is during the night here you might not get the voucher in time for Saturday.

Edit: claimed already. That was quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I was never in the Sackville for a game but used to meet up there afterwards. Great on a good day when you could drink in the street and get a hotdog off the grill.

Is the Hideout still open?

Yep I know a few lads who go there since it re opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    Edit: claimed already. That was quick!

Who was it?? Bet it was Francie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Yep I know a few lads who go there since it re opened

Glad to hear it.

It used to be a regular haunt for our crew after a match. Met up with those of my friends there who couldn't get tickets for the final in 2011. I'm pretty sure they ran out of grog, I remember a jeep backing up and unloading boxes of beer and cider to keep them ticking over that night. It's the last thing I remember from that night.

Glad to hear they're still going. It was such an unlikely place for a pint too, reminded me of the pub in Shameless. I remember, forgive for my rememberances for they are many tonight, walking down the side street off NCR and being stopped by some of our country cousins looking for the place - probably told to meet friends there. "Just down here and around the corner" I said as they hung back trepidataious that their organs we're going to be harvested by Dubs and sold toCluxton for protein. But when I got them to the corner and they saw the usual mix if fans in the square I think their arseholes let out a sigh of relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Tomorrow will be Jim Gavin 90th championship/league game as Dublin manager.So far his record as manager is played 89 games won-72 drawn-9 lost-8 scored 130-1481(1871) conceded 58-1066(1240)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

DDC1990 wrote:
    Anyone interested in my voucher drop me a PM. I can email it on when I get the chance. I am in Australia though so if the PM is during the night here you might not get the voucher in time for Saturday.

The claim has been withdrawn and the voucher is back in the market. Make sure you send your email in the PM if you want it please to save the forward and back PM'ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Ohhh glorious match day. May the tribesmen travel back with their tail between their legs this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is there a match on today somewhere? Lot of lads wearing Dublin jerseys about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Gael85 wrote: »
    Tomorrow will be Jim Gavin 90th championship/league game as Dublin manager.So far his record as manager is played 89 games won-72 drawn-9 lost-8 scored 130-1481(1871) conceded 58-1066(1240)

I do wonder what might of happened had gillers stayed on or if he hadn’t won the all Ireland. It was setup perfectly for Gavin to come in and build with no all Ireland hoodo hanging over his head. Whatever it was , during the 00s , that is a record I couldnt of dreamed a Dublin manager would ever achieve in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jack McCaffrey tho

Looks like Des Kelly was right on the money. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭PressRun

Gael85 wrote: »

Incredible record. One of the greatest inter county managers ever.

PressRun wrote: »
    Incredible record. One of the greatest inter county managers ever.

The GOAT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Girls are on TG4 now. 3 points up against Kerry in their QF.

No sign of Byrne even making the bench these days

I think he should be there, is he injured?

Throne it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

No sign of Byrne even making the bench these days

I think he should be there, is he injured?

I believe he got injured in club game. Think he is back training.Pity as had a good league campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Fair play to Mannion and O'Callaghan yesterday. I'm sure they know they're under fierce pressure for their places. You'd never have known.

Gavin is immune to criticism until we lose but i'll have a bash anyway.

I can't for the life of me work out how Michael Fitzsimons lost his place yesterday. McMahon is falling short at even basic defensive tasks. He regularly stands yards off is man, isn't too bothered if he gets a shot away and generally points at other people if something goes wrong. He's not exactly setting the world alight coming out with the ball either. Seems Gavin has a blind spot there because there's no way he's worth more to the team currently than Fitzsimons.

We're harder to beat because we get men back but one on one our defenders would lose lots of personal battles these days. Wasn't always the case. In the recent past our defenders won us AI's.

I'm not sure what to make of that goal.

Very easy win for the girls in the end. 3-19 to 1-7. 18 point margain. There meeting Galway in the SF. The Dublin Double 2.0 lives on :D

I think you are on to something corny.

You never rated Philly as a tight corner back though

The Munch is a man marker but not a traditional corner back, when you see him alone in the square with a corner forward the way O'Carroll use to be when you can see why we needed a change yesterday

McMahon's tactic is to have the defender follow him out the field, Gooch and AOS did this in the past. He tried it yesterday too.

Little has changed here Imo with the exception of

O'Carroll was never replaced, we've no traditional fullback, possibly only Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal have great ones and that's being nice to Tyrone.

McMahon's strength was covering back, helping out other defenders sniffing things out. He's stopped doing that IMO, Mannion and Andrews do more of it than him

McCarthy is a good defender Imo, some think he's too loose but he is an unselfish defender he'll shoulder someone else's man, he's not fixated with one person the way the Munch and even Lee Keegan is. Also he'll pick up the likes of M Murphy simply because no other Dublin defender is capable of doing it, so he must be good at it !

Byrne is a traditional defender but not fitting in, Cooper is still a tight defender, Fitzsimmons is the same as ever.

Jack McCaffery is in the half back line and brings sometimes different, but still he's not an out and out defender.

The game is faster now than it was 5 years ago imo, the transition is faster, lads like Mannion and Howard are cutting things out, lads like Cian O'Sullivan are beginning to look outdated, but in certain games, possibly vs Tyrone he could be exactly what you want. He's not crashing into lads now though, the way he smashed gooch in 2013 throwing himself at the ball, he can't do that anymore

Finally MDMA has been tracking back to full back for two three years now.

Anyway I largly think it's ROC being gone and also some of that Kilkenny halfback play, has left a bit of a hole now since he's playing as a half forward following a poor AI last year. I think Kilkenny has benefited from Connolly being away.

You are right but the previous teams didn't have Howard and Mannion tackling like they are now.

If O'Sullivan packs it in, I think Cooper has that sweeper spot, but there needs to be a go to man to replace him. I don't know who that is .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I think you are on to something corny.

You never rated Philly as a tight corner back though

The Munch is a man marker but not a traditional corner back, when you see him alone in the square with a corner forward the way O'Carroll use to be when you can see why we needed a change yesterday

McMahon's tactic is to have the defender follow him out the field, Gooch and AOS did this in the past. He tried it yesterday too.

Little has changed here Imo with the exception of

O'Carroll was never replaced, we've no traditional fullback, possibly only Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal have great ones and that's being nice to Tyrone.

McMahon's strength was covering back, helping out other defenders sniffing things out. He's stopped doing that IMO, Mannion and Andrews do more of it than him

McCarthy is a good defender Imo, some think he's too loose but he is an unselfish defender he'll shoulder someone else's man, he's not fixated with one person the way the Munch and even Lee Keegan is. Also he'll pick up the likes of M Murphy simply because no other Dublin defender is capable of doing it, so he must be good at it !

Byrne is a traditional defender but not fitting in, Cooper is still a tight defender, Fitzsimmons is the same as ever.

Jack McCaffery is in the half back line and brings sometimes different, but still he's not an out and out defender.

The game is faster now than it was 5 years ago imo, the transition is faster, lads like Mannion and Howard are cutting things out, lads like Cian O'Sullivan are beginning to look outdated, but in certain games, possibly vs Tyrone he could be exactly what you want. He's not crashing into lads now though, the way he smashed gooch in 2013 throwing himself at the ball, he can't do that anymore

Finally MDMA has been tracking back to full back for two three years now.

Anyway I largly think it's ROC being gone and also some of that Kilkenny halfback play, has left a bit of a hole now since he's playing as a half forward following a poor AI last year. I think Kilkenny has benefited from Connolly being away.

You are right but the previous teams didn't have Howard and Mannion tackling like they are now.

If O'Sullivan packs it in, I think Cooper has that sweeper spot, but there needs to be a go to man to replace him. I don't know who that is .

At different stages in the game yesterday i saw our defenders done for pace. Not used to seeing that with Dublin. We're coping because, as you say, Howard, COC, Scully, etc are animals for working back on the cover. Also, i'm not sure the teams we're facing really believe we're fallible and so they're not taking us on as they should. The near 90 odd per cent conversion rate of our forwards helps a lot too.:eek:

The bit that got me was i still think Fitzsimons is the best of them at winning personal battles yet he was sitting on the bench. He's always seemed the easiest to drop for some reason. I don't know why.

McMahon offers a lot coming out with the ball. Maybe give him a free role for that and unburden him of the important task of marking an inside forward. He doesn't look capable of that anymore imo.

You're right about McCarthy. He spends all his time in defence now plugging gaps and chasing runners. He's a great man for it but his all round influence has been curtailed somewhat on the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

corny wrote: »
    Fair play to Mannion and O'Callaghan yesterday. I'm sure they know they're under fierce pressure for their places. You'd never have known.

Gavin is immune to criticism until we lose but i'll have a bash anyway.

I can't for the life of me work out how Michael Fitzsimons lost his place yesterday. McMahon is falling short at even basic defensive tasks. He regularly stands yards off is man, isn't too bothered if he gets a shot away and generally points at other people if something goes wrong. He's not exactly setting the world alight coming out with the ball either. Seems Gavin has a blind spot there because there's no way he's worth more to the team currently than Fitzsimons

I seem to remember that Philly was subbed straight away in a match where is was very loose.
    nAd the fella on him got a score off him.
    It was a radio commentator that pointed it out which is why it half stuck.
    No idea of which game it was! League? :confused:
    But Jim seems he is not afraid to sub him if he is becoming a liability.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

corny wrote:
    At different stages in the game yesterday i saw our defenders done for pace.

John Small in particular, although he'd slow down when cover ran out for him

O'Sullivan was brought for a few runs too.

But then again their defenders were stuck for speed too.

I thought lowdnes has played well at corner and half back this year.

I could see Small losing his place in this Dublin team to him.

However Gavin doesn't seem to fully trust him, he's been played in the back line a lot this year.

I think not putting Lowdnes on for McCaffery in the final last year was very close to a gaff by Gavin, that's not a retrospective position, I though Flynn at midfield was a poor decision, he really isn't a midfielder.

So either lowdnes in for Small, or certainly when he gets his regular Yellow card.

I can't see Small losing the jersey. Especially not when we're playing Tyrone. He brings a tough edge to his game that Eric Lowndes doesn't. We'll need every morsel of that toughness against this shower.

ProudDUB wrote:
    I can't see Small losing the jersey. Especially not when we're playing Tyrone. He brings a tough edge to his game that Eric Lowndes doesn't. We'll need every morsel of that toughness against this shower.

He does, but if you were stuck for speed Lowdnes covers that.

I think Small and Scully will be targeted for reds and yellows in the final.

Gavin seems to be a big fan of him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Some interesting selection dilemmas at the back for sure.

As a Na Fianna man, I have been tracking Murchan for years. It wasn't his finest game yesterday, but I think he may hold his place for the final.

I agree with all the positive vibes above for Fitzsimons, and I think he will come into the team. Could it be for McMahon, Murchan, Small or someone else? Not sure. Any news on Cian O'Sullivan, is he likely to be fully fit?

The forwards look in better shape than they did earlier in the year. Costello is pushing hard for a starting place in the final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement