Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Even Mayo would'nt dump a manger in June

Although obviously if there's no Sam this year Rochford will be identified as the real problem and summarily dismissed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Oh ok. Let's go with a meeting "to clear the air" shall we?

Does that sound warm & fuzzy enough for you?

Naturally, you'd never come across a Dub trying to use over the top phrases, to make something out to be a bigger deal than it actually is. We're much too fair minded for that. We leave that kind of malarkey to certain sections of the Mayo crowd. ;)

Just like you did above.

Ehh ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

largepants wrote:
    Just like you did above.

He was being sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

PressRun wrote: »
    I have literally no idea why you're being snarky tbh.
    Teams meet all the time to discuss defeats and wins - generally to discuss where things went right or wrong, what can be improved, etc. It's nothing new.
    The only difference here is that this article was originally published by the Connaught Telegraph by a journalist who is a known ****e stirrer and people want to make a big deal out of everything they do now.

This is true, I know Pat Gilroy convened a no holds barred meeting after the startled earwigs debacle in 2009. What I find surprising about the Mayo meeting is the fact that Rochford didn't attend - once again from the outside looking in it looks as though someone else is driving the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭largepants

Stoner wrote: »
    He was being sarcastic

Of course he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

DoctaDee wrote: »
    This is true, I know Pat Gilroy convened a no holds barred meeting after the startled earwigs debacle in 2009. What I find surprising about the Mayo meeting is the fact that Rochford didn't attend - once again from the outside looking in it looks as though someone else is driving the bus

And I'm sure the current Dublin team have had plenty of meetings since then to discuss matches.
    Rochford knew the meeting was happening. Player only meetings happen a lot. The only reason people want to single out Mayo for doing it is because they want something to point to to back up whatever​ they already believe themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

largepants wrote: »
    Of course he was.

Your first clue was the winking smilie face, first cousin twice removed, on his mothers side to this guy
    > :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

ProudDUB wrote: »

Whatever happened to following 'due process' though? We cant really be blackening anyone's good name before a raft of reports have been issued on the matter, now can we?

Or is that an acknowledgement that that goose was in fact a prize turkey?

Refs produce reports on players having "clear the air" meetings?

Jaysus, that's news to me.

Is because they are happening so often now, they need someone there to keep the peace?

Wow. Just seen Alan Brogans comments.

Is he not a part of the "orchestrated media campaign" brigade?

Does he now get 50 lashes in John Costello's office, or put in stocks under Clearys clock, for not towing the party line in the meeja...or is that only if Lee Keegan is involved?

#VeryConfusedDub :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    Wow. Just seen Alan Brogans comments.

Link?

Clearly some mixed opinions out there on gavin's actions. Whelan has something similar to say on the topic.

It's turning into a bit of a story. Just out of interest, say Dublin were to struggle against Kildare and then got knocked out in the quarter final. Would people be focusing on Connolly, or Gavin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Clearly some mixed opinions out there on gavin's actions. Whelan has something similar to say on the topic.

It's turning into a bit of a story. Just out of interest, say Dublin were to struggle against Kildare and then got knocked out in the quarter final. Would people be focusing on Connolly, or Gavin?

Hard to tell, depends on the manner of the defeat. I doubt either would be castigated much. I see it as an unlikely scenario, so I haven't given it a whole lot of thought. Whatever about a quarters, barring massive misfortune, Kildare won't beat the Dubs. A third string team beat them in the OBC.

Honestly, I reckon it's 50/50 if we'll ever see Dermo line out for the Dubs at Senior Football again.

Quid Pro Quo: Are you guys gonna ditch Rochford for 2 years without any silverware if you lose on Saturday?

All that money spent on seniors, and nowt to show for it. You'll have to cut your losses at some point.

Will you take Horan back, or will big Aido get the job officially? :)

Jaden wrote: »
    Honestly, I reckon it's 50/50 if we'll ever see Dermo line out for the Dubs at Senior Football again.

Probably, but Cunningham will be gone soon....

From what I've seen of him at club level, he's a choir boy once he's hurling :pac:

Hard to tell, depends on the manner of the defeat. I doubt either would be castigated much. I see it as an unlikely scenario, so I haven't given it a whole lot of thought. Whatever about a quarters, barring massive misfortune, Kildare won't beat the Dubs. A third string team beat them in the OBC.

Quid Pro Quo: Are you guys gonna ditch Rochford for 2 years without any silverware if you lose on Saturday?

All that money spent on seniors, and nowt to show for it. You'll have to cut your losses at some point.

Will you take Horan back, or will big Aido get the job officially? :)

Well Id point out that you didn't actually answer the question, but anyway.

I don't think so no. He outclassed Harte and Gavin in the first game last year, so he has ability. I don't blame him for the final loss either. The mistakes were hennelly's. I don't rate the galway games so much to be honest with you. I don't doubt if we had 15 we would have won, even with playing in a hurricane. But that is part of the glory of the championship, for everyone except Dublin anyway - you can get set upon some times. Think ballybofey for the dubs in the league this year. You cant really judge the likes of Kerry or Mayo against Dublin, because how they are set up is so different.

Next question, will you be lambasting Whelo the next time he speaks about an incident on the sunday game before the ref's report is out?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

I don't think so no. He outclassed Harte and Gavin in the first game last year, so he has ability. I don't blame him for the final loss either. The mistakes were hennelly's. I don't rate the galway games so much to be honest with you. I don't doubt if we had 15 we would have won, even with playing in a hurricane. But that is part of the glory of the championship, for everyone except Dublin anyway - you can get set upon some times. Think ballybofey for the dubs in the league this year. You cant really judge the likes of Kerry or Mayo against Dublin, because how they are set up is so different.

This response should probably be in the Mayo thread but since it was asked here...

I'd agree that Mayo have to stick with Rochford for the next couple of years. He's did well last year and deserves a chance to put the Galway loss behind him. Changing Managers hasn't worked for ye, so sticking with the same guy for a few years seems obvious.

I don't understand the comment that you can't judge Kerry or Mayo against Dublin. Given the history over the last six or seven years, surely it is in games against Dublin that such teams should be judged. During that period Dublin (thankfully and for a change) have been top dogs, and the yardstick by which every other team with ambition should be judged. Mayo's SF win in 2012 and Donegal's SF win in 2014 are two of the matches that have had the greatest impact on this Dublin team during that period. The 2011 win against Kerry probably makes the top three. Surely from a Mayo perspective, the same applies, and the losses suffered against Donegal, Dublin, Kerry, Dublin and Dublin (and the draws) are the matches that inform any judgments of Mayo football.

It's as straight an answer as I can give to a hypothetical question. Not the answer you wanted perhaps?

So you would blame Hennelly, and apportion no blame the manager who selected Hennelly to play, coming in cold like that? An interesting point of view.
    I assume if you think that you would have beaten Galway with 15 on the pitch, then you believe the blame for the loss lies with Higgins?

I suppose you guys are that much better versed in the blame game, that's just the nature of your history. I see Dublin as having a much more collective approach to success and indeed, to failure. There was a time, not a million years ago, when this wasn't the case - and that's why we wandered in the wilderness for so long. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned there, for those who would wish to learn it.

As for the Whelo question - it's an interesting point. Pat has set a dangerous precedent. If players are now to become fair game for trial by media, simply for the sake of TV ratings, then it is due in no small part to his actions.

I can't believe anyone would want that to be the norm.

As for the Whelo question - it's an interesting point. Pat has set a dangerous precedent. If players are now to become fair game for trial by media, simply for the sake of TV ratings, then it is due in no small part to his actions.

I can't believe anyone would want that to be the norm.

Especially with Sport Ireland catching Kerry men taking illegal supplements because they apparently didn't like the flavour of the approved ones :rolleyes:

Into the realms of Kerry man jokes with that excuse

A more cynical individual than I might assume that the DC incident was used as a diversion from the potential of having to Discuss a Kerry player failing a drugs test, serving a Ban, and the County Board covering it up for the duration of the ban, with details coming to light only after the story got leaked.....

But I *certainly* don't think that.

• Advertisement

It's as straight an answer as I can give to a hypothetical question. Not the answer you wanted perhaps?

Well its a straight answer to a question I didn't ask to be frank about it. You rephrased to something else and answered that. I answered your question, regardless of my doubting various parts of it.

As for the rest of your points on mayo, well that probably belongs on the mayo thread. If you want to talk about them then go over there and do that.

As for the rest of your points on mayo, well that probably belongs on the mayo thread. If you want to talk about them then go over there and do that.

Tell you what, you head on over there, I'll be right behind you.....

Past30Now wrote: »
    Changing Managers hasn't worked for ye, so sticking with the same guy for a few years seems obvious.

Changing managers is relative to be honest about it, each time is different with its own circumstances, be that mayo or anyone else.
    Past30Now wrote: »
    I don't understand the comment that you can't judge Kerry or Mayo against Dublin.

I mean in the sense that Kerry and Mayo face a lot of different things that Dublin don't face, so it is hard to judge their level of performance over a full year on a par. For example, mayo can never really take a league seriously, due to the fact that their players are scattered all over the country. It's just not a possibility as regards preparation. Kerry would be similar only not as bad on that front. Their collective training is a far tougher proposition to get to and from to, even when they are at home.
    They both have to go to tough away grounds against meaningful opposition.
    That isn't even taking into account, the money, the population, the professional organisation etc. That is what I meant.

Tell you what, you head on over there, I'll be right behind you.....

Tell you what,

answer the question...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Stop quoting him.

#obsessed

Q: Just out of interest, say Dublin were to struggle against Kildare and then got knocked out in the quarter final. Would people be focusing on Connolly, or Gavin?

A. Hard to tell, depends on the manner of the defeat. I doubt either would be castigated much.

What am I missing here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Someone has to be to blame such is the nature of the modern world of sport. I don't think too many from within the camp would care but the media would have a field day with recriminations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

This MayoAreMagic lad really is obsessed with Dublin

As many posts on this and the other Dublin thread as on his own county's yet not one single post on any other county's thread

Box office indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Billy Mays wrote: »
    This MayoAreMagic lad really is obsessed with Dublin

As many posts on this and the other Dublin GAA thread as on his own county's yet not one single post on any other county's thread

Box office indeed

Jesus that's pathetic.

Obsessed.

Maybe there's a hotline out there he could ring for help?

Hi my name is xxxx and I've been obsessed with Dublin for xx years.. It has now been xx minutes since I last thought of Dublin.. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I normally find the Mayo Magic stuff tiresome but the way he turned on Jaden and the resulting confusion was hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement