Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Strumms wrote: »
    That has to be the major plus of the day as an event. Great if next years final attracted similar or greater numbers

The LGFA have played a P.R stormer over the last 3 years. The profile they've managed to generate helped hugely by a legendary Cork panel and then topped by Dublin winning last year has to be a future lesson for any budding marketing students.

Couple that with Lidl putting big money into the game and TG4 taking a chance showing matches when the games weren't trendy.

I seen an article in a Sunday paper last week where one of the Downey sisters who manage the Kilkenny camogie teams were bemoaning (in a conratulatory way) the job that the LGFA has done for ladies football. It will be interesting to see can it be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Great job all around ladies.

Great month to be a Dub alright.

Every month is a great day to be a Dub, but ye know what I mean.

There's a Camille Thai down the road from me. It has a big poster of Sinead Goldrick in the window, in her monogrammed chefs duds & her big bowl of high protein noodles, or whatever it is she's promoting for them.

It would be great to see the ladies develop the same kind of profiles that the Bernard Brogan's & the Joe Canning's enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I dislike being sectarian - well I don't actually :-) - but must be right kick in the goolies for certain rival sports to see our wimmin's vastly outperform them as regards attendances and entertainment value. There were 700 at the final in 1975, 51,000 today. Some achievement.

Special mention too for Herald which gave great coverage of the build up this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Special mention to whoever made that Lidl LGFA ad. It's savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Enjoyed the match today. Got asked while out for pints about the result. Delighted to tell those who asked what the result was.

• Advertisement

Pat Gilroy stepping down due to work commitments.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1041439804083318785?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Gilroy steps down as the stick fighting manager, citing work commitments. Bit of a strange one that. Surely, it's always an issue and knew this before he took the job..

Edit. ProudDUB knows how to use the twitter links better than me! Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Pat Gilroy stepping down due to work commitments.

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1041439804083318785?s=19

That was the same reason he gave when he stepped down from the football manager's job as well!

It does not do anything for continiuity he was only just starting to get things into shape.
    Now the next fella who comes along might want to do things completely different.
    Back to square one?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

FFS!

Hurlers are being fked around big time.

Cunningham probably most likely to take over if they want any sort of continuity, assuming DCB gives a somersaulting fart anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hopefully this is why Kenny really knocked back Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

You'd think Cunningham would be nailed to continue on the ground work.

Kenny another very good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Enjoyed the match today. Got asked while out for pints about the result. Delighted to tell those who asked what the result was.

not too many 'knowwarrameens' on that team wha? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Anyone that's involved in coaching and wants to demonstrate collective and individual defending should take a few clips from the wimmin yesterday, I've rarely seen better examples that can be applied to club football. Lauren Magees positioning and timing of the tackle was as good as you're likely to come across

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Strumms wrote: »
    That has to be the major plus of the day as an event. Great if next years final attracted similar or greater numbers

Last years was 46'000 so 50'000 actually not much of a jump on that considering that Cork has a much bigger population than Mayo.

LGFA I think still has a marketing challenge; the final is seen as a family/ club day out, which is brilliant because these games should be accessible to kids, and the mens finals arent. This Dublin team is really inspirational and will bring a lot of young girls into the game, or encourage them to play the game more seriously.

However I think LGFA needs to bring in a new audience who are going because of the quality of the game. Bottom line for me is - I'd much rather watch Dublin vs Cork in LGFA than a lot of the senior mens stuff, because its more exciting to watch. There's a lot of people out there whingeing about the quality of gaelic football; if thats their issue then they should watch LGFA.

I'd like to see them put the Dublin Cork league match in Croker or Pairc Ui Chaoimh as a stand alone headliner, and really push that; because not many go to watch LGFA outside of the final itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DoctaDee wrote:
    Anyone that's involved in coaching and wants to demonstrate collective and individual defending should take a few clips from the wimmin yesterday, I've rarely seen better examples that can be applied to club football. Lauren Magees positioning and timing of the tackle was as good as you're likely to come across

Compared to the final last year this was a very tactical game.

The Cork team did reasonably well in keeping Dublin outside the scoring zone and another team would have shipped more goals. The keeper made a couple of fantastic saves.

For the most part the Dublin backs were good one on one and turned the forwards away from goal.

The ball thrown out at two Cork players for their goal was the howler of the game and the goal line save was excellent

Slattsy wrote: »
    You'd think Cunningham would be nailed to continue on the ground work.

Kenny another very good option.

Mixed feelings about Cunningham getting the gig. I have admiration for him setting his ego aside and being willing to be just the coach for Gilroy and not the main man. There is merit in keeping him on, for continuity, safe pair of hands etc etc. But I can not forget the cloud he left Galway under. If a squad of proven All Ireland winners didn't want him in charge, why should we settle for him, just because we are worried about a bit of short term upheaval?

His man management skills left a lot to be desired in Galway. The ugliness of his departure and the intransigent way he dug his feet in, even when the writing was on the wall, did not bode well for how he may handle any future internal conflict within a camp, or even just the day to day messiness that can crop up. While Pat Gilroy was there, Cunninghan could focus soley on his coaching duties and could leave all the messy man mangement stuff up to Gilroy. Now that Giller is leaving, I'm not sure if I want Cunningham being the sole person in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

DoctaDee wrote: »

Agreed. She was like a bleedin octopus yesterday when tackling. Her timing when putting a hand in is unbelievable. She constantly gets a legal touch on the ball. She's a perfect example of how it is possible to tackle successfully within the laws of the game when good coaching and technique are prioritised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Thanks. I'll look forwarding to reading that, after I've finished reading all the articles about the county with the 2nd biggest* population in the country destroying the game with their resources, what about poor Leitrim, who's going to help them win 11 All Irelands in 14 years etc etc.

(*Excluding all those counties full of Linfield supporting durty nardrinners.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

His article about the women’s final is also completely inaccurate. He seems to think it was some kind of edge of seat nail biter. I don’t know what game he watched but the one that I did anything other than a dublin win was rarely in doubt. The five point win margin doesn’t even give a true picture of how one sided it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

sightband wrote: »
    His article about the women’s final is also completely inaccurate. He seems to think it was some kind of edge of seat nail biter. I don’t know what game he watched but the one that I did anything other than a dublin win was rarely in doubt. The five point win margin doesn’t even give a true picture of how one sided it was.

In many ways, both the mens and the womens were very similar. Loser threatening for a while but winner never in any real danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Are the ladies actually further ahead of the competition than the men?

There only looked like one winner in the last two finals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Are the ladies actually further ahead of the competition than the men?

There only looked like one winner in the last two finals

We (Mayo) were very close a few times against Dublin in the mens. Nobody else seems to have been able to get that close and it remains to be seen if we can get to that point again. But its certainly the case in the womens. Once they finally got that win last year theyve realised their potential and pulled away completely with nobody in sight!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

muddle84 wrote:
    We (Mayo) were very close a few times against Dublin in the mens. Nobody else seems to have been able to get that close and it remains to be seen if we can get to that point again. But its certainly the case in the womens. Once they finally got that win last year theyve realised their potential and pulled away completely with nobody in sight!
    The women's final last year looked harder to call than Sunday's game alright.
    Certainly the men's Mayo team have been closest consistently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Hi all,

What's the lowdown with Mick Bohan? I know very little about him but its looking increasingly likely (from local sources here) that he is taking the Senior men's job in Roscommon (my own county).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

Hi all,

What's the lowdown with Mick Bohan? I know very little about him but its looking increasingly likely (from local sources here) that he is taking the Senior men's job in Roscommon (my own county).

Top class coach. He was involved in Jim Gavin backroom team for a couple years. Has managed Thomas Davis, Lucan Sarsfields and Na Fianna at club level over the years. He trained Clare footballers in 2016 and was highly rated down there. He would probably know at lot of the Roscommon lads that played with DCU as coached there too.

And he's 6ft 6. Try not to get into any Andy Moran/Ballagh rows with him. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    And he's 6ft 6. Try not to get into any Andy Moran/Ballagh rows with him. ;)

I'd be on his side of the argument though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0921/995304-dublin-camogie-manager-herity-resigns-position/

Another resignation in Dublin GAA. First Gilroy,now Herrity. Bohan next ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement