Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The Herrity one is a surprise. He was talking up the juniors as having players ready to step up to senior last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Bret Hart wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0921/995304-dublin-camogie-manager-herity-resigns-position/

Another resignation in Dublin GAA. First Gilroy,now Herrity. Bohan next ?

I think Bohan is in a different position to the other two. He's managing a successfull team that's going for a 3 in a row. It should take a big job to give that up.............but you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Paulzx wrote: »
    I think Bohan is in a different position to the other two. He's managing a successfull team that's going for a 3 in a row. It should take a big job to give that up.............but you never know

Be surprised if he went now. Plus the rumours here in Roscommon are that they are in a mess with finances being overseen by Croke park and players still having to wait on their expenses from earlier in the year. Partly the reasons why some players have left the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's still a job over a women's team though. At the end of the day he'd have to have ambition to move on.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's still a job over a women's team though. At the end of the day he'd have to have ambition to move on.

Perhaps its just me but managing the Dublin women's team would be infinitely more attractive than the Roscommon mens who are as unpredictable as a baby's bottom, and not really going any place soon. A good bit off the top teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

The buzz around Ladys football in Dublin at the moment is making it much more attractive than the Roscommon job (in my opinion)

Paulzx wrote: »
    The buzz around Ladys football in Dublin at the moment is making it much more attractive than the Roscommon job (in my opinion)

Maybe not Roscommon currently then, but he must know deep down that when very few people really care about the game he's currently managing in then is a third title going to get him a start somewhere much better than Roscommon?

Maybe not Roscommon currently then, but he must know deep down that when very few people really care about the game he's currently managing in then is a third title going to get him a start somewhere much better than Roscommon?

Its a long time since Rossies had 51,000 watching them! Or indeed any other football team outside of top 4/5.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Its a long time since Rossies had 51,000 watching them! Or indeed any other football team outside of top 4/5.

51,000 kids brought from all over the country for free. There was about ten at the earlier games. How may actual Dublin GAA supporters, even the hardcore ones, would have attended?

I don't know anyone who got in for free. Clubs had concessions as far as I know, and to be honest I would prefer thousands of young girls getting in for a few Euro than the thousands who miraculously materialise for the men's finals, some of whom obviously haven't been to a game all year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Its a long time since Rossies had 51,000 watching them! /QUOTE]

Not all that long ago - 65k watched them against Mayo in 2017.

Powerhouse wrote: »

Its a long time since Rossies had 51,000 watching them! /QUOTE]

Not all that long ago - 65k watched them against Mayo in 2017.

I realised that after I posted but didn't want it to spoil my argument :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Perhaps its just me but managing the Dublin women's team would be infinitely more attractive than the Roscommon mens who are as unpredictable as a baby's bottom, and not really going any place soon. A good bit off the top teams.

If you like winning things then yes its more attractive. Coaching players of a higher standard might appeal to some though.

corny wrote: »
    If you like winning things then yes its more attractive. Coaching players of a higher standard might appeal to some though.

Which is why he should stay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

corny wrote: »

Just the 16 goals conceded by the Rossie men in their last 4 Croke Park outings.

Which team exactly is the one playing at a higher standard? :confused:

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Just the 16 goals conceded by the Rossie men in their last 4 Croke Park outings.

The men's team. In almost all cases.

I'd wager the current Dublin ladies are coached to a higher standard than half the men's teams in the country.

I'd wager the current Dublin ladies are coached to a higher standard than half the men's teams in the country.

That might be the case too, and the games are very entertaining to watch, but they're two completely different kettles of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You're beginning to sound like the Boy from Brazil. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

They'd be conceding no goals and no points against any ladies team so..... Roscommon are playing to a higher standard.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You're beginning to sound like the Boy from Brazil. Ÿ˜Ÿ˜

Ah now here....mods..... is personal abuse not banned here? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It's a different spot with different conditions and variables.
    I felt that listening to the man that beating Cork rather than a three in row was something he really valued

He might want to try something else. Certainly the women's game has come on significantly for these discussions to happen.

The 2019 O'Byrne Cup draw is out and we ain't in it. We've an automatic bye into the semi finals.

What cretin thought that idea up?

Do we really have no road trips to plan to exotic, far flung, foreign colonies?

Are the powers that be really that worried about us blooding yet more new players?

And more to the point, how else am I supposed to work off Aunt Nuala's sherry trifle, if I'm not wandering around Navan/Portarlington/Dundalk for 4 hours trying to ward off frostbite? They can sod right off, if they think I'm joining a gym.

ProudDUB wrote:
    Are the powers that be really that worried about us blooding yet more new players?

I'll miss rowing to Wexford.

Stoner wrote: »
    I'll miss rowing to Gorey, New Ross, Enniscorthy, Gorey again, Wexford, New Ross again, Enniscorthy again, Wexford and finally Enniscorthy again.

Yep. Me too.

Remember standing directly behind Philly and the the backroom team, as we all battled over the one spot on the sideline that wasn't under a foot of water. Was expecting to hear lots of very exciting back room talk about tactics and whatnot, that I could wow all and sundry with here . Instead, all I heard was lots of giving out about how bad telly was on RTE over the Xmas. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yep. Me too. :rolleyes:

Remember standing directly behind Philly and the the backroom team, as we all battleed over the one spot on the sideline that wasn't under a foot of water. Was expecting to hear lots of very exciting back room talk about tactics and whatnot, that I could wow all and sundry here with. Instead, all I heard was giving out about how bad telly was on RTE over the Xmas.

Over the years I was only an occasional O'Byrne Cup attendee, but I always checked the fixture list as it was a great opportunity to chalk another GAA ground off the list.

A noble endeavour to be sure to be sure. Some of them are a really decent days jaunt. Great way to blow out the post Crimbo cobwebs. Enniscorthy is a grand little spot for day trip, even when it's under 12 ft of water. Portarlington, a couple of years before, was pretty grim though. And don't get me started on the horrendous cold of Dundalk the year before that. Much as I love nature, heavy snow on nearby mountains is not really the best way to get you in the mood for some daycint football.

Agreed it's an important competition. Since the league has come up in the world it is the venue for seeing new players.

Long gone are the days when big players missed the league but rocked up for the championship, McMahon, Brogan, Bastic, MDMA all found out early on from Gavin that's it's hard to get your spot back from someone who's had a good league.

TBH I found some of the away games easier to get to than Parnell Park for the O'Byrne Cup.

I don't know why they'd cut Dublin's games it was good money for a good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Bit of an unsatisfactory outcome in the SFC1 championship relegation playoffs. The semis were due in O'Toole Pk last night, but Parnell's didn't field a team and accepted their relegation to SFC2.

Don't get me wrong, they were probably out of their depth somewhat playing AFL3 League, but jaysis there has to be some motivation to at least have the pride to compete for their status, bearing in mind that there were teams graded SFC2 at the start of the year that held the whole show up with their objections. Parnells should've taken the opportunity at that stage to drop down if that was their mindset.

• Advertisement

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Bit of an unsatisfactory outcome in the SFC1 championship relegation playoffs. The semis were due in O'Toole Pk last night, but Parnell's didn't field a team and accepted their relegation to SFC2.

Don't get me wrong, they were probably out of their depth somewhat playing AFL3 League, but jaysis there has to be some motivation to at least have the pride to compete for their status, bearing in mind that there were teams graded SFC2 at the start of the year that held the whole show up with their objections. Parnells should've taken the opportunity at that stage to drop down if that was their mindset.

Parnells making a show of the Dublin SFC.

Who'd have thought …….. perhaps there was a film premiere or the opening of an apartment block on at the same time ….

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement