Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stoner wrote: »
    Agreed it's an important competition. Since the league has come up in the world it is the venue for seeing new players.

Long gone are the days when big players missed the league but rocked up for the championship, McMahon, Brogan, Bastic, MDMA all found out early on from Gavin that's it's hard to get your spot back from someone who's had a good league.

TBH I found some of the away games easier to get to than Parnell Park for the O'Byrne Cup.

I don't know why they'd cut Dublin's games it was good money for a good cause.

Oh, I think we all know why we've been cut out. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    Oh, I think we all know why we've been cut out.

They'll make a lot less money. Sometimes Parnell Park was full and I couldn't get in, the Kildare game a few years ago for example

And if it's not going directly into their own kitty, the Leinster Council couldn't give a shiney shyte how much money is or isn't raised.

The 'Mun out of the champo. Birra shocker that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The 'Mun out of the champo. Birra shocker that.

To say the least.

I thought with their being a bigger break from inter county to SFC that they would not have same problems of burnout as in previous years, wrong again. Hugely disappointing team given the individual talents they have at their disposal.

Having said that they have been really bad in the league so having the Dublin players come back was perhaps never going to compensate totally.

Vinnies to lose now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Bonniedog wrote: »
    To say the least.

I thought with their being a bigger break from inter county to SFC that they would not have same problems of burnout as in previous years, wrong again. Hugely disappointing team given the individual talents they have at their disposal.

Having said that they have been really bad in the league so having the Dublin players come back was perhaps never going to compensate totally.

Vinnies to lose now.

I thought Ballyboden were terrific this evening. Wouldn't be a shock to me if they beat Vincents.

Ballymun have lots of intercounty players but they don't really play as a team. They gave the ball away for fun in the first half and the end to end that resulted didn't suit them. Judes were fitter too.

BK's huge number of inter county players has cost them massively. For all the great days out we have had as Dublin supporters, we owe them a huge debt of gratitude imo, as it's come at the expense of their own club championship aspirations.

Semi final draw made.

Jude's v Vins
    Boden v Crokes

And oh yeah.....he's baaaaaaaaaaaaak. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

BK's huge number of inter county players has cost them massively. For all the great days out we have had as Dublin supporters, we owe them a huge debt of gratitude imo, as it's come at the expense of their own club championship aspirations.

Could not agree more PD. I am a Mun man and as pleased as I am with the success at county level, the weekends result leaves me not wanting any more at our expense. This has been a golden era for the Dubs but it should also have been a golden era for Kickhams. I have always felt that if I was offered a county championship for Kickhams I would take it every time over an All-Ireland for Dublin. I am hugely proud of the lads for what they have achieved at county level. I just don’t know how often you can expect amateur athletes to “fill the tanks” so to speak and go again at 100%. Hard too for the panel of 22 to gel again when 6 players are away for the majority of the year only to be parachuted back in a couple of weeks before the most important time of year. It is after the ultimate team game……….Good luck to St. Judes in the semis.

Yep. I agree. It can't be a coincidence that Vincent's haven't had anyone new break into the Dublin match day panels in over a decade. And yet look at all their success at club level. I don't think Shane Carthy is even on the panel any more, is he?

New Jersey on the way soon btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Squareball wrote: »
    Could not agree more PD. I am a Mun man and as pleased as I am with the success at county level, the weekends result leaves me not wanting any more at our expense. This has been a golden era for the Dubs but it should also have been a golden era for Kickhams. I have always felt that if I was offered a county championship for Kickhams I would take it every time over an All-Ireland for Dublin. I am hugely proud of the lads for what they have achieved at county level. I just don’t know how often you can expect amateur athletes to “fill the tanks” so to speak and go again at 100%. Hard too for the panel of 22 to gel again when 6 players are away for the majority of the year only to be parachuted back in a couple of weeks before the most important time of year. It is after the ultimate team game……….Good luck to St. Judes in the semis.

I agree that is a major part why Ballymun struggle, but I think questions should be asked of the Ballymun management as well?

It is not the first time in recent years that Ballymun folded, and lost when the pressure came on them and threw away games they should have won.
    The game management is always questionable when it comes to Ballymun, always suspect.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yep. I agree. It can't be a coincidence that Vincent's haven't had anyone new break into the Dublin match day panels in over a decade. And yet look at all their success at club level. I don't think Shane Carthy is even on the panel any more, is he?

New Jersey on the way soon btw.

I think it is not just a freshness aspect, but also nous and game management.
    Vincents are great at it
    The likes of Ger Brennan and Mossy slowing the game down where required.
    I seem to remember last year Mossy took ages over the free and the ref took the free off him instead.
    The shenanigans killed a lot of time and vincents won.

The likes of Rathnew can beat Vincents they vins are not invincible by any means, just a clever team.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ballymun have struggled at this time of the year with three different managers so not sure that’s the answer. When we last won the championship and went to the All-Ireland final we had two players on the county panel. I think facts speak for themselves. No arguments we have had discipline issues and injury issues over the years but I can’t help but feel we lost out because of our commitments to the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Any truth in the rumour that Philly has got the S & C job with the Dublin camogie team?

That's what I heard on the wireless this evening alright.

That's what I heard on the wireless this evening alright.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumour that Philly has got the S & C job with the Dublin camogie team?

Yes, except it's called Head of Performance these days.

#LaDeeBleedinDa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

So, Kenny for Dublin then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Nearly pulled off the comeback after a slow start. Con needs a good holiday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Patww79 wrote: »
    So, Kenny for Dublin then?

Quite likely.

Cuala after disastrous start to both halves went down with their boots on. Came back from ten points down to an ace of winning it only for saving of certain goal in injury time.

Great game and good advertisement for progress of Dublin hurling. Best of luck to Crokes. Bill O'Carroll was immense at full back marking Callaghan, as were two of Anthony's old warriors Corcoran and Dwyer.

No reason we should not have a half decent county team with the talent on show in both games today. Hopefully, Kenny may be the missing ingredient.

PS. Connell injury looked bad. Hopefully he will recover and be back wearing blue before long.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

DpNc6d6W4AEBUtb?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I like the shorts.

Dunno. Not really sold on the shorts from the pix alone. They just look odd. Maybe I'll be converted when I see them on a player during an actual game.

Jebus. If people think getting out of Clonliffe Rd takes a long time now, imagine what it will be like on match days, with more houses and another hotel there? :eek:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gaa-in-talks-to-buy-former-holy-cross-college-from-church-and-use-land-for-social-housing-37407071.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jebus. If people think getting out of Clonliffe Rd takes a long time now, imagine what it will be like on match days, with more houses and another hotel there? :eek:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gaa-in-talks-to-buy-former-holy-cross-college-from-church-and-use-land-for-social-housing-37407071.html

I'd assume that they'd open the grounds up, probably put a through road in to the N1. Might actually make exiting easier in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Dunno. Not really sold on the shorts from the pix alone. They just look odd. Maybe I'll be converted when I see them on a player during an actual game.

Dunno. I prefer the shorts on the far left and right.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Those stylised photo are a pain, it’s hard to know what gear is really like the in those types of photos. Looks nice there but you have got to see it in the shop

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd assume that they'd open the grounds up, probably put a through road in to the N1. Might actually make exiting easier in that case.

There is actually a longer term plan to open up a bridge across Tolka at grace park road to enable development along the strip on the south bank and linking through to jones road. Risk it would just turn into a worse traffic snarl up day to day but would change options for Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

salmocab wrote: »
    Those stylised photo are a pain, it’s hard to know what gear is really like the in those types of photos. Looks nice there but you have got to see it in the shop

Seen it in flesh today.

Top has that fleck effect that a lot of their training tops now have. Fabric feels a bit trainy top too, and to an extent so does the design. All together it looks like those alternate fan tops O'Neill's have loads of.

But at same time I liked it. Not too gimmicky, still kept a solid blue theme to it (something I loved about last 2 jerseys, no messy stripes or flashes for the sake of it. It also makes the Hill look extra blue on big days). At the same different enough to be fresh, and not a case of white stripes replace blue give us €70 like last change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Anyone know if Boden v Crokes is being streamed?

Heard the hurling semis were live on the dubs youtube channel last weekend

Not a day for making the trek over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement