Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, you could see the confusion on his face when everyone was laughing during his interview with Mickey Lyster at last years AI final banquet. We could all see Jack Flash acting the maggot behind him, but he couldn't. He wouldn't exactly be used to that reaction when he opens his gob. He's supposed to be mad craic on a night out though. Just hates the spotlight, cameras etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

CatInABox wrote: »
    I do remember being at the Leinster final the first year he'd been made captain, his speech was unintentionally hilarious. He practically read it off the flash cards, with no modulation of his voice. When no one cheered when he finished, he actually had to say ".......and that's it......"

Hard to believe he is a secondary school teacher.
    He must spend the whole game worrying about it :D

Bar the odd mistake he never looks that flustered on the pitch.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Hard to believe he is a secondary school teacher.
    He must spend the whole game worrying about it :D

Bar the odd mistake he never looks that flustered on the pitch.

Not really. He's a Biology teacher. Explaining the life cycle of the liver fluke, doesn't really require an ability to make an empassioned defences of the pro/anti Treaty forces in the Civil War (the Michael Collins one, not the doings of the Mayo Co Board/players/managers/former managers/ladies/dog walkers/Mammys/Grannies on any given day) or a skill at convincing bored teenagers that Wuthering Heights is the greatest love story ever told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Let’s see Gavin manage a mediocre team before proclaiming him up there with the GREAT managers.

My suspicion is he’s a very average manager but has scammed the system due to the crazy level of financial investment given to Dublin gaa.

I doubt he’ll ever willingly take on an average team so that we can realistically judge him-emperor new clothes type of scenario?

But in saying that I would love to see how he gets on.

The league hasn't even started yet and this ****e already?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Patww79 wrote: »
    The league hasn't even started yet and this ****e already?

Don’t worry he started a separate thread with the same words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Let’s see Gavin manage a mediocre team before proclaiming him up there with the GREAT managers.

My suspicion is he’s a very average manager but has scammed the system due to the crazy level of financial investment given to Dublin gaa.

I doubt he’ll ever willingly take on an average team so that we can realistically judge him-emperor new clothes type of scenario?

You’re a bit of a sad case aren’t you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

He fkn hates you Beechwood.

I was at a party in Bono's house with him, sorting out a few houses for the lads on Sorrento Terrace out of the slush fund and the rackets, and he turned to me and said (we be great butties me and Jimbo):

"See that Beechwoods sham. This ends here. There's a storm coming."

Oh, he gets very excited about things like that, so he does ….

Bonniedog wrote: »
    He fkn hates you Beechwood.

I was at a party in Bono's house with him, sorting out a few houses for the lads on Sorrento Terrace out of the slush fund and the rackets, and he turned to me and said (we be great butties me and Jimbo):

"See that Beechwoods sham. This ends here. There's a storm coming."

Oh, he gets very excited about things like that, so he does ….

ROFLMAO ! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The new gear getting a run out v the Underdogs tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The new gear getting a run out v the Underdogs tonight.

Unfortunately I can’t unsee Paul Galvins hat.

• Advertisement

Don't know a big pile of that team. Maybe they're all down in Portlaoise for the grand opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Those shorts gonna look only fablis on me legs.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Don't know a big pile of that team. Maybe they're all down in Portlaoise for the grand opening.

Of what?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There was a few events on last night, Fenton was at the Raheny ball last night, and some of the team spent their day heading around loads of schools on the Northside with Sam. The ladies did the same the day before.

Not sure what the point of that Underdogs game was, good to see the third string get a run out, but it was always going to be a one sided affair. Perhaps a team that doesn't have such strength in depth would have been a better opponent for them. Still though, some promising performances out there.

Serious game of hurling this, unbelievable.

Jesus. I need a lie down after that.

Unreal stuff. Wish I had went now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

When is the replay

Great game. Some excellent performances all round. Hard to pick any individual but Ryan Dwyer, and the two O'Carrolls for Crokes; and Dooley, Durkin and Paul Ryan caught the eye. As did Whitley in second half and in extra time, and Keaney at times. Not as good as he once was, but no better man to make his presence felt!

Strong rumours today before game that Daly is to be appointed manager again. Not heard anything since, perhaps because of way game ended?

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Great game. Some excellent performances all round. Hard to pick any individual but Ryan Dwyer, and the two O'Carrolls for Crokes; and Dooley, Durkin and Paul Ryan caught the eye. As did Whitley in second half and in extra time, and Keaney at times. Not as good as he once was, but no better man to make his presence felt!

Strong rumours today before game that Daly is to be appointed manager again. Not heard anything since, perhaps because of way game ended?

What price Daly with the bookies?

Slattsy wrote: »
    What price Daly with the bookies?

Can't find any, but hasn't been priced for a few weeks afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,478 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Here’s something I can’t get my head around.

Ryan O’Dwyer said that he did not know before the biggest game in club hurling in Dublin that he didn’t know there would be extra time in the event of a draw.

Said it on MI this morning Monday 22 Oct.

How………… in Gods name could a team be let out onto a playing field without that information?

Surely somebody knew, the referee did, jeez you would think that the various mentors would know?

You would think they would make sure all the players knew?

To, as Ryan said, he had to ask the referee at the end of the game what is happening now is frankly mind boggling?

Cannot understand it, quite frankly.

I was at the Intermediate Football Final today N. Barrog v Round Towers Lusk

It was a great game of football even though it was not high scoring.
    Barrog looked like they were coasting first half - looked fitter stronger faster great in possession. At one stage it was double scores 0-10 Barrog 0-5 Lusk.
    Barrog's midfield looked great with Conor Gibson, Paul Toland.
    Richard Timmons got at least four from play at full forward for Barrog
    Lusk got it back to 10 -0-7 at half time.

Barrog failed to get another score for 20 minutes - not sure if they ran out of energy or if Lusk upped it.
    Went to extra time at 13 each.

Full time after extra time Barrog 0-15 Lusk 1-18 (Barrog gave away a penalty)

But the whole reason I am wrtiing this post is because of the stand out player - Lusk corner forward Cormac Howley five from placed balls - six from play.

He dragged his team to victory singlehandedly.
    Everytime he got the ball he looked like he would score.
    Some of the scores he got were 'Connolly-esque' - great technique, composure, head up, type of player.

Apparently he plays minor for the Dubs.
    After today - he should be the first name down for a run in the O'Byrne Cup.

Going to be increasingly harder for lads on the outer peripherary of the panel, to make the O'Byrne Cup squads from now on, or get a decent amount of playing time if they do make it. With an automatic BYE to the semi finals now, we are only going to play 1/2 games & not the previous 3-5.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Going to be increasingly harder for lads on the outer peripherary of the panel, to make the O'Byrne Cup squads from now on, or get a decent amount of playing time if they do make it. With an automatic BYE to the semi finals now, we are only going to play 1/2 games & not the previous 3-5.

Didn't think of the bye - that is unfair on the younger lads.
    Maybe Dubin should rescind thier bye or is that permitted?

I doubt it. Did the Leinster Council not come up with this idea by themselves? My inner Jim Coor thinks they don't like the idea of our using it as a breeding ground for new talent, while the main squad is away off on their holibobs. Perhaps they aren't quite as thrilled by the emergence of Niall Scully, Eoin Murchan & Brian Howard as we are? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

What about the Sam Maguire lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

What about the Sam Maguire lads?

New York was always a dodgy place for muggings , have you not watched any of them 80s films .......the warriors probably did it :D

• Advertisement

Yet another snub for Clucko.

It's gone beyond ridiculous at this stage.

http://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/pwc-2018-football-all-stars-announced/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement