Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Embarrassing for them to be ignoring the greatest Goalkeeper of any era.

No disrespect to Rory Beggan but very poor decision by the committee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

They already made it a joke in previous years so no point in changing that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Correct me if I'm wrong,
    Since 2015 they have given the award at GK to each of losing finalists.Even a fella who 'blew' up when the pressure came on!!
    They couldn't do that this year(although it wouldn't be beyond them) so they gave it to a guy who can kick the ball very far.
    No doubt a great keeper but this process is now defunct...throw it in the bin along with the provincials.
    Shocking decision between the posts. They should hang their heads in shame and never be aloud to forget this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I may* have been ok with Beggan getting it, but for his ridiculous brain fart in the dying minutes of the semi final. How they could give it to him, when he did such an utterly stupid thing at such a crucial junture of such an important game, is beyond me.

(*not really)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ProudDUB wrote:
    I may* have been ok with Beggan getting it, but for his ridiculous brain fart in the dying minutes of the semi final. How they could give it to him, when he did such an utterly stupid thing at such a crucial junture of such an important game, is beyond me.

I still think it's reasonable for Beggan to get it. The steal was the 2017 and 2016. All keepers have brain farts these days.

IMO Beggan had a great season and is far more deserving winner than the last two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yet another snub for Clucko.

It's gone beyond ridiculous at this stage.

http://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/pwc-2018-football-all-stars-announced/

Swings and roundabouts

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54243168

• Registered Users Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yet another snub for Clucko.

It's gone beyond ridiculous at this stage.

http://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/pwc-2018-football-all-stars-announced/

Swings and roundabouts

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54243168

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Stoner wrote: »
    I still think it's reasonable for Beggan to get it. The steal was the 2017 and 2016. All keeper gave brain farts these days.

IMO Beggan had a great season and is far more deserving winner than the last two.

Definitely this. Beggan was like a hurling free taker to be fair, it's unbelievable what he was doing this year. The years for the media outrage was last year when he was robbed, maybe 2016 and probably 2015 also, where he had a superb final after a shaky couple of semis. I can get the outrage in an overall sense

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Speaking of hurling, still no word of a manager from Parnell Park

Maybe they hired all the candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Beggan or Cluxton equally deserving, moving Cavanagh to FB and Howard to MF to show horn in McHugh is a farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Beggan or Cluxton equally deserving, moving Cavanagh to FB and Howard to MF to show horn in McHugh is a farce.

Having Cavanagh in the team full stop is a farce. Drew Wylie was shafted. All about profile.

No qualms with Cluxton not getting it. Beggan had some brilliant games. Look on the bright side at least Lee Keegan didn't get one.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    Having Cavanagh in the team full stop is a farce. Drew Wylie was shafted. All about profile.

I agree, Drew had a great year, added increased important sneaky ventures into attack too. He put extra in this year imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭C__MC

Oh god all stars , they are so flawed IMO. The goalkeeping issue was a toss of a coin.

Here’s my view, shot stopping, Cluxton for me. Distribution; Beggan. Perhaps beggans flawless displays against Kerry and Tyrone shaded it along with his 0-18. You can’t begrudge him. Cluxton robbed in 2017 mind you.

Hmmmmmm Ryan mc Hugh and mc manus? It wasn’t there most prolific seasons by a long shot. Scully was very solid for the dubs throughout as was Walsh for Galway. I’d have them
    In. Does the late goal in clones give Clifford an all star? How unlucky was the big full forward for Kildare? I thought Peter Harte also had a very very good season bar the two Dublin’s games. Ryan Wylie has been robbed, he conceded something like 0-4 off 7-9 markers all season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Complete farce,simple as. A player who captains an AI winning team for 4,yes 4, years in a row fails to win an A/S in those 4 years. Think about it. Cavanagh at full back takes the biscuit, he deserved an award ok, in his best position,beside Fenton with Howard at wing forward and Mannion in the corner,ie their respective positions. And Drew Wylie at 3
    Looks like this whole exercise is about manufacturing a place for the 'new media darling' Clifford who now seems to have succeeded Aidan O'Shea for that 'prized accolade'
    Agree that Beggan had a fine c/ship but for me,as a neutral,it was Cluxton all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

washman3 wrote: »
    Complete farce,simple as. A player who captains an AI winning team for 4,yes 4, years in a row fails to win an A/S in those 4 years. Think about it. Cavanagh at full back takes the biscuit, he deserved an award ok, in his best position,beside Fenton with Howard at wing forward and Mannion in the corner,ie their respective positions. And Drew Wylie at 3
    Looks like this whole exercise is about manufacturing a place for the 'new media darling' Clifford who now seems to have succeeded Aidan O'Shea for that 'prized accolade'
    Agree that Beggan had a fine c/ship but for me,as a neutral,it was Cluxton all the way.

Beggans brainfart at end of semi was levelled out by Cluxton rushing out and giving away goal(forget which game but it was mentioned by Senan Connell this evening ) on Matt Coopers radio show.
    Overall Beggan gave more good performances all year but I agree with you that Clifford’s All Star is a bit of tokenism to the new kid on the block.....had he not scored that goal it is a real struggle to imagine him getting recognition.In years to come he may well get several All Stars that he actually deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭cms88

So an All-Ireland winning captain should just win an All-Star?

So you say you're a neutral but all you're complaining about is Dublin players not getting awards

C__MC wrote: »
    Oh god all stars , they are so flawed IMO. The goalkeeping issue was a toss of a coin.

Here’s my view, shot stopping, Cluxton for me. Distribution; Beggan. Perhaps beggans flawless displays against Kerry and Tyrone shaded it along with his 0-18. You can’t begrudge him. Cluxton robbed in 2017 mind you.

Hmmmmmm Ryan mc Hugh and mc manus? It wasn’t there most prolific seasons by a long shot. Scully was very solid for the dubs throughout as was Walsh for Galway. I’d have them
    In. Does the late goal in clones give Clifford an all star? How unlucky was the big full forward for Kildare? I thought Peter Harte also had a very very good season bar the two Dublin’s games. Ryan Wylie has been robbed, he conceded something like 0-4 off 7-9 markers all season.

might be the other 3-18 he scored in the championship :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I am not from Dublin but I agree with ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Beggans brainfart at end of semi was levelled out by Cluxton rushing out and giving away goal(forget which game but it was mentioned by Senan Connell this evening ) on Matt Coopers radio show.
    Overall Beggan gave more good performances all year but I agree with you that Clifford’s All Star is a bit of tokenism to the new kid on the block.....had he not scored that goal it is a real struggle to imagine him getting recognition.In years to come he may well get several All Stars that he actually deserved.

If you're balancing out brain farts then you'd want to watch the Monaghan Fermanagh game again, or even the last moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I had to laugh about the GAA coverage on RTÉ the past few weeks. Every main* story seemed to have a Kerry angle.

And who would begrudge them after their 4-in-a-row.

*By main I mean when. You go into sports news having one if the large picture's being reference to Kerry. If ya get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have not even looked at the all-star team - stayed clear of any news on it.
    To me it is relic of the past it makes no sense.

It is normally just made up of finalists and a few political decisions after that.

It is never really reflective of the best player in every position.
    Fellas are switched from thier normal positions to accommodate other fellas
    Also the good fellas from the weaker counties rarely get a look in.
    As well as that the old hat GAA traditional line out of 1-15 should be done away with.
    Who plays that anymore?
    There should be another 'gaa underdog' all-star team - as well as the main one.
    They could then play each other in a game.

The funny thing is I really used to care about the all-stars when Dublin were struggling - looking for any bit of hope for the future.
    Now I don't give a damn - everyone knows the whole Dublin team should be named 1-15 that really would be the best players in each position in the country.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Clifford’s All Star is a bit of tokenism to the new kid on the block.....had he not scored that goal it is a real struggle to imagine him getting recognition.In years to come he may well get several All Stars that he actually deserved.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It is normally just made up of finalists and a few political decisions after that.

As well as that the old hat GAA traditional line out of 1-15 should be done away with.
    Who plays that anymore?

The funny thing is I really used to care about the all-stars when Dublin were struggling - looking for any bit of hope for the future.
    Now I don't give a damn - everyone knows the whole Dublin team should be named 1-15 that really would be the best players in each position in the country.

You're right. When Mayo players started getting them as consolation prizes for AI medals, it was time to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fann Linn wrote: »
    You're right. When Mayo players started getting them as consolation prizes for AI medals, it was time to ignore them.

Exactly this.
    I can't even remember which keeper it was! But it had a real primary school sports day feel to it.
    'Everyone's a winner'

Still, it gives people something to talk about during the lull in the GAA season at Christmas - January etc.
    As I said in my previous posts the only type who would be probably animated about it are those from counties who need the leg up / spotlight.

What I would love to see is a transcript of the decision process or better yet an open forum televised live!
    Then we can see how they get to the decisions.

'Ah sure lookit, we need a fella from xyz county it's only fair.' :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Who plays that anymore?

Yet you still comment on it?

It's funny how Dubs claim they don't care about All-Stars etc ye still rant and rave about it.

After tonight the POTY award will be relevant again to Dubs, after claiming it didn't matter the last two years

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

People can rant and rave here all they want. The reason this Dublin team is so sucessfull is they couldnt give a flying f@ck about individual all star awards. Nice to get yes, but the only currency is a celtic cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

cms88 wrote: »
    Yet you still comment on it?

It's funny how Dubs claim they don't care about All-Stars etc ye still rant and rave about it.

After tonight the POTY award will be relevant again to Dubs, after claiming it didn't matter the last two years

You mightn't care or find Funghi the Dolphin relevant, but that doesn't mean ye can't discuss it if he crops up on some internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Stoner wrote: »
    I still think it's reasonable for Beggan to get it. The steal was the 2017 and 2016. All keepers have brain farts these days.

I'd agree with you re 2017 with Clarke's malfunction on the kickouts at the death.They were clutch moment fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

cms88 wrote: »
    So an All-Ireland winning captain should just win an All-Star?

So you say you're a neutral but all you're complaining about is Dublin players not getting awards
    No, you're the only one saying that.!!
    I'm saying that I find it mindboggling that a player leads his team to 4 titles in a row,revolutionising the game in the process,yet fails to be honoured on the best 15 in ANY of those 4 years. Laughable that he was overlooked one year in favour of an opponent who wasn't deemed good enough to start a final, BY HIS OWN MANAGEMENT TEAM.
    The only plausible explanation for me is that because Cluxton refuses to play ball with the media hacks, ie,those picking the A/S team,they in turn refuse to play ball with him.
    Maybe he should take a leaf from Aidan O'Shea's book,ie,multiply enormously his twitter followers and give 2 or 3 newspaper interviews every week.
    BTW, I am a neutral,check my other GAA posts.��

• Advertisement

No, you're the only one saying that.!!
    I'm saying that I find it mindboggling that a player leads his team to 4 titles in a row,revolutionising the game in the process,yet fails to be honoured on the best 15 in ANY of those 4 years. Laughable that he was overlooked one year in favour of an opponent who wasn't deemed good enough to start a final, BY HIS OWN MANAGEMENT TEAM.
    The only plausible explanation for me is that because Cluxton refuses to play ball with the media hacks, ie,those picking the A/S team,they in turn refuse to play ball with him.
    Maybe he should take a leaf from Aidan O'Shea's book,ie,multiply enormously his twitter followers and give 2 or 3 newspaper interviews every week.
    BTW, I am a neutral,check my other GAA posts.��

Forst off you just said it there again.

Second one of the biggest myths in the GAA is that he is '',revolutionising the game''

Another myth that he doesn't win them because he doesn't talk to the media. Plenty of others don't/haven't and they still won awards. Maybe just maybe there was others better than him? I don't think there's ever been a player in GAA history who people think shold win awards etc just becuase of who he is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement