Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    Waterford, KK or Tipp? We should be fodder for them but you never know.
    Yeah it was all second half stuff.

I've little confidence tbh. I think things will need to get a little worse before they get better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That was a bit meh to be honest. Laois looked like a team playing their third game in as many weeks.

Not much to take away from that game except Trollier is starting to hit great form after his hand injury. If we get good wuality ball into him he'll trouble any defense out there. His second goal was an absolute peach.

Was listening to the Cats-Limerick game as well. Doesn't sound like Kilkenny are anywhere near their normal levels year. Of the big names left I'd near rather get them at this stage :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Its more to do with players. Not that long ago that any win over Laois have been good. Onwards and upwards as they say. And in fairness to GC, he did the business too, They won by 16 points ffs. give these chaps a bit of credit and not so much people who were hoping they'd be beaten.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Its more to do with players. Not that long ago that any win over Laois have been good. Onwards and upwards as they say. And in fairness to GC, he did the business too, They won by 16 points ffs. give these chaps a bit of credit and not so much people who were hoping they'd be beaten.

Lets be honest Bonnie, Laois were dreadful today. They barely scrapped past Carlow last week, Carlow!!!
    I was down in portlaoise a couple of years ago when we played them in tbe qualifiers and Cheddar had them going great guns then but they've seriously regressed since then.

I don't really care about GC anymore. His contract is up soon and there's no way he'll be back next year. I said it during the league that the young lads coming through deserve an awful lot of credit and I still stand by it. If we can get a couple of the more seasoned lads back onto the panel next year I think we're going to be in decent shape.

JRant wrote: »
    Lets be honest Bonnie, Laois were dreadful today. They barely scrapped past Carlow last week, Carlow!!!
    I was down in portlaoise a couple of years ago when we played them in tbe qualifiers and Cheddar had them going great guns then but they've seriously regressed since then.

I don't really care about GC anymore. His contract is up soon and there's no way he'll be back next year. I said it during the league that the young lads coming through deserve an awful lot of credit and I still stand by it. If we can get a couple of the more seasoned lads back onto the panel next year I think we're going to be in decent shape.

there were men who went out there today with the jersey. Others choose not to. I was in Parnell not in their house. Cunningham for good or bad is only here for a few years, I happen to give him credit of doing some good things, Other people have to make their own minds up.

Liam Rushe is best hurler we've had since Joey Towell. So if its okay for Rushie to play, what about the rest?

What right do the others have to come back in as divine right:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

there were men who went out there today with the jersey. Others choose not to. I was in Parnell not in their house. Cunningham for good or bad is only here for a few years, I happen to give him credit of doing some good things, Other people have to make their own minds up.

Liam Rushe is best hurler we've had since Joey Towell. So if its okay for Rushie to play, what about the rest?

No divine right no but surely they'll be picked if they deserve it and they're willing.

The sense of obligation to the jersey is antiquated imo. Lads have a right to say Cunningham is not for them and not be criticised for it. I hope he goes and the lads absent come back en masse for the new manager.

That works both was though. There's no divine right to expect players to sacrifice as much as they do year on year. Now I personally don't think many of the players who walked away have covered themselves in glory but they made the decision that was best for them. As you said GC is only here a few years, these lads have put a lifetime in.

If someone new takes over and players are brought back in and put the effort in then I don't really care about what's happened previously. That's just my opinion but I know a fair few lads who don't want them back under any circumstances. I can understand their point of view but I think under the right circumstances it would be foolish not to.

corny wrote: »
    No divine right no but surely they'll be picked if they deserve it and they're willing.

The sense of obligation to the jersey is antiquated imo. Lads have a right to say Cunningham is not for them and not be criticised for it. I hope he goes and the lads absent come back en masse for the new manager.

Exactly, nobody batted an eyelid when Jack Flash walked away from the team for a year and came straight back into the panel. I'm sure ROC would be welcomed back as well.

McCaffrey went away for a legitimate reason. The hurlers who are not making themselves available are doing so in order to remove the management. Which they are entitled to if that is how they feel. It is sad though that a potentially good panel is being undermined in this way. Dublin are not far off being contenders, especially in a year when the big guns are seemingly vulnerable.

On a more positive note, last night proved that Dublin are well ahead of the second tier and 1B should be no real challenge. Might even be a good place to be in preparation for next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I had been wondering how Dublin would fair against Laois, thought that it was a possible banana skin with all the players who've left. Good to see the players that remained step up and get an emphatic win.

So, on to Kilkenny, Waterford or Tipp. Easy Peasy. Kilkenny actually look vulnerable, but I still think that they'd have enough smarts to beat us sadly.

On the football, I watched most of the Mayo game yesterday, and haven't changed my opinion of them. They're still a wildcard, one of the best teams in the country, but seem to massive underperform outside of the big games. A total anomaly in my mind, not sure what's going on with them at all.

• Advertisement

I would fancy us to give either the Cats or Waterford a good shake. Tipp always seem to have us sussed!

McCaffrey went away for a legitimate reason. The hurlers who are not making themselves available are doing so in order to remove the management. Which they are entitled to if that is how they feel. It is sad though that a potentially good panel is being undermined in this way. Dublin are not far off being contenders, especially in a year when the big guns are seemingly vulnerable.

On a more positive note, last night proved that Dublin are well ahead of the second tier and 1B should be no real challenge. Might even be a good place to be in preparation for next year.

I think they're all legitimate reasons in their own way but I'll leave it at that.

Fully agree that this year is a terrible year to be experiencing this nonsense. The 2 stand out teams so far have been Galway and Cork and With a full strength panel we're more than a match for both teams.

The problem with 1b next year will be that a lot of games will be proper battles in poor conditions on cabbage patches. Reckon it'll stand to the young fellas have a few proper wars next winter. We'll need to be sharper straight off the bat as a lot of the teams in 1b won't be keeping their better players in reserve till the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Last night proved that laois are miles off the pace, that's all

Waterford would beat us at a canter..as they proved in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

One thing I loved today about Galway and Wexford was their stick work it's an area I always feel we struggle in bar a few of our guys, just getting the sliotar into the hand off the ground and such so fast

Joekers wrote: »
    One thing I loved today about Galway and Wexford was their stick work it's an area I always feel we struggle in bar a few of our guys, just getting the sliotar into the hand off the ground and such so fast

We've no wristy hurlers alright.:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

We've no wristy hurlers alright.:D

I believe that back in Daly's day, the correct phrase was that Dublin had enough Piano movers, and that they needed someone to actually play the piano! :rolleyes:

So a total hypothetical question for everyone then: Would you trade a Football All Ireland for a Hurling All Ireland? Personally, I'd love to win another Sam this year, but after that, Liam all the way. Think it would do wonders for the sport all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

CatInABox wrote: »
    I believe that back in Daly's day, the correct phrase was that Dublin had enough Piano movers, and that they needed someone to actually play the piano! :rolleyes:

So a total hypothetical question for everyone then: Would you trade a Football All Ireland for a Hurling All Ireland? Personally, I'd love to win another Sam this year, but after that, Liam all the way. Think it would do wonders for the sport all over Ireland.

Why? What difference will it make to someone in Antrim, or Limerick or Galway, whether or not Dublin win the All Ireland? If we do win Liam, it'll lead to loads more griping about resources and population, but that'll be about it. It may stop the drain of players from the hurlers to the footballers for a while, but I can't really see it leading to an explosion of hurling interest all over Dublin, never mind the the rest of the country.

CatInABox wrote:

I'd exchange all of Gavin winnings for one hurling AI.

We'd no football in our club at all so hurling would always be special for me. Not sure I'd let go of 2011 though that was special and my best ever sporting memory.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why? What difference will it make to someone in Antrim, or Limerick or Galway, whether or not Dublin win the All Ireland? If we do win Liam, it'll lead to loads more griping about resources and population, but that'll be about it. It may stop the drain of players from the hurlers to the footballers for a while, but I can't really see it leading to an explosion of hurling interest all over Dublin, never mind the the rest of the country.

Ah, I'll be honest and say I don't really know. I'll start by saying that I think that a competitive Dublin in Football has been good for the sport, even if Dublin have been dominating, if you only look at the winners of the All-Ireland final. In reality, I don't think that they've dominated completely, as most of their final victories have been 1 point wins.

I think that a team outside of Kilkenny and Tipp need to step up on a consistent basis, and that if Dublin were that team, it'd be better than a team like Clare or Wexford. People find it easier to gripe about Dublin than most other teams, for a lot of various reasons, some valid, some not, but having Dublin be competitive would add an extra edge to the championship in my opinion.

As I said, I don't really know, but that's what I feel. :o

i thought wexford were a bit loose when it came to lifting the ball

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »

We'd no football in our club at all so hurling would always be special for me. Not sure I'd let go of 2011 though that was special and my best ever sporting memory.

how many dublin clubs are hurling only, three?

Fully agree, it is an area we have struggled in. You just don't get any tine on the ball playing the top teams.

On the bright side we have some wonderful hurlers at underage and others newly blooded into the senior panel. We're not there yet but definitely heading in the right direction.

Stoner wrote: »

I was on the Nally back in 2011, knew as soon as Cluxton kicked it that we'd just won an All-Ireland, and by God I sure as hell let the Kerry guy in front of me know too. I'd say he still has tinnitus from my clapping in his ear.

I came into supporting sport in general late, wasn't until I started working after college that I got interested, but I've more than made up for it. My brother can watch a Dublin game where we get hockeyed, and still go enjoy a few drinks after. I have to just go home, I'm usually sick to my stomach at that stage. I think the Cork game back in 2010 was last the last game I was okay with losing, and in fact had a bunch of drinks with some old Cork lads after. They knew that they were lucky to get away with the win, I knew that Dublin were on the up afterwards.

Not sure I'd trade all the wins since, but certainly I believed in the Hurlers more than the footballers one year. Was devastated when they lost that year (to Tipp I believe), far more so than the footballers in 2012 or 2014.

Bambi wrote: »
    i thought wexford were a bit loose when it came to lifting the ball

Galway put them under savage pressure and it told in the second half especially. That kind of intensity is very tough to deal with mentally and players start getting sloppy.

I was on the Nally back in 2011, knew as soon as Cluxton kicked it that we'd just won an All-Ireland, and by God I sure as hell let the Kerry guy in front of me know too. I'd say he still has tinnitus from my clapping in his ear.

I came into supporting sport in general late, wasn't until I started working after college that I got interested, but I've more than made up for it. My brother can watch a Dublin game where we get hockeyed, and still go enjoy a few drinks after. I have to just go home, I'm usually sick to my stomach at that stage. I think the Cork game back in 2010 was last the last game I was okay with losing, and in fact had a bunch of drinks with some old Cork lads after. They knew that they were lucky to get away with the win, I knew that Dublin were on the up afterwards.

Not sure I'd trade all the wins since, but certainly I believed in the Hurlers more than the footballers one year. Was devastated when they lost that year (to Tipp I believe), far more so than the footballers in 2012 or 2014.

The defeat to Cork the year we were league champions still pains me to this day. We had a great chance to lift Liam and fecking blew it. We had the beating of that Cork team and made an absolute pigs ear of it (Maguire, I'm looking at you :) )

I enjoy watching hurling more but i wouldn't trade what the current Dublin team have accomplished.

For the record i maintain O'Gara belting the winner past Pascal McConnell in 2010 trumps anything Kev Mc did in a final.

I enjoy watching hurling more but i wouldn't trade what the current Dublin team have accomplished.

For the record i maintain O'Gara belting the winner past Pascal McConnell in 2010 trumps anything Kev Mc did in a final.

I believe I've said it here before (perhaps more in relation to O'Gara himself), but that's when I knew that the Dublin team were going to win more than just Leinster. Was only a matter of time after that (And good management of course, they could have still screwed it up, but I fully believed more than ever after the Cork loss)

Was on the way down to Sligo listening to that match on the radio back then, almost killed myself and the better half when I heard O'Gara stick it in the net.

Bambi wrote:
    how many dublin clubs are hurling only, three?

Not sure Bambi. Back then we were the only one with a senior team I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Tipp in Round 2.

• Advertisement

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Tipp in Round 2.

Yeah, that's our season over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement