Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Bonniedog wrote: »
    First official night out for the hurlers under Mattie Kenny against Carlow. Hopefully a good start.

Not sure how much we'll learn today, there's sideways rain down there tonight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Team sheet for tonight, with some new faces out there.

https://twitter.com/DubMatchTracker/status/1072575689843466241

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

A point down after early goal from Trollier..

Final score:
    Carlow: 1-16 Dublin: 2-21

Seemed nip and tuck until about 15 minutes into the second half.

Am selling house and putting it on Dublin to win Liam McCarthy. Money for jam.

20/1. That's like 20 houses :-) Might give one to the homeless....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Am selling house and putting it on Dublin to win Liam McCarthy. Money for jam.

20/1. That's like 20 houses :-) Might give one to the homeless....

The sarcasm in that post is like a Jedi thing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't think the win by Mullinalaghta was all that great to be honest it was a smash and grab.
    Similar to when Offally beat Kerry in 82.
    Or when Dublin beat Kerry in 11
    I was far more impressed by Rathnew beating Vincents last year for example. That was a well deserved win.
    This win was just a fortunate one.
    You would swear it is the first time ever a small country team beat the city slickers the way the papers are going on.
    You can only play 15 players at any one time.
    Fair play to Mullinalaghta and all that.
    But it was a fortunate win.
    I hope they beat Dr Crokes and get into the final (prove it was not a fluke)- because then thier name will be always on that list in years to come.

I looked it up there, of the team that beat Meath in the championship last year :D :
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0527/966357-fired-up-longford-put-14-man-meath-to-the-sword/

There were five Mullinalaghta lads:
    Patrick Fox, Donal McElligott, Rian Brady, David McGivney and James McGivney.

That is some going for any club, they must be doing a lot of things right in Mullinalaghta.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I looked it up there, of the team that beat Meath in the championship last year :D :
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0527/966357-fired-up-longford-put-14-man-meath-to-the-sword/

There were five Mullinalaghta lads:
    Patrick Fox, Donal McElligott, Rian Brady, David McGivney and James McGivney.

That is some going for any club, they must be doing a lot of things right in Mullinalaghta.

As an exiled Dub, I'm already getting a little exhausted at how this result has captivated parts of so called rural Ireland. Let's face it, towns and cities are hardly rural, but the talk around the periphery of any provincial town is all about how a mickey mouse village brought down the mighty Dubs. It's a combination of belittling the winners and slagging off the losers. Well done to Mullinalaghta. A great result, but not without some reality based on the work they have done getting there.

If some of the anti Dublin element actually took a leave out of Columbas' book and concentrated on football rather than whinging then they might have less to whinge about. But they might not enjoy it as much of course.

Conal Keaney is planning on playing with the Hurlers this year. I think that we missed him during the Championship last year, I think a couple of the games could have been different if he had still been on the pitch. Hopefully his surgery will go well, would be great to see him taking to the field again.

See here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

CatInABox wrote: »
    Conal Keaney is planning on playing with the Hurlers this year. I think that we missed him during the Championship last year, I think a couple of the games could have been different if he had still been on the pitch. Hopefully his surgery will go well, would be great to see him taking to the field again.

See here.

What Dublin Need is a few new Keaneys to step up. Nobody has made his presence felt on a Dublin hurling team like he did in 2011-2013 and since.

Through to next stage of Walsh barring a pasting off Laois.

Not sure what way semis are drawn but be good to have at least one pre league game against one of top Leinster threesome.

So what's the story with the Walsh cup now? Working out the scenarios always gives me a headache, so is this right:

Dublin beat Laois, Dublin go through.
    Dublin draw with Laois, Dublin go through.
    Dublin lose to Laois, Carlow win, three teams on 4 points, so it goes to points difference, where Dublin currently have a 17 point advantage
    Dublin lose to Laois, Carlow also lose, Laois go through on head to head record

Your headache is spreading!

Should beat Laois in fairness.

Just looking at the 1A fixtures again; it has all the recipes for a pretty unbalanced series. Can't see Offaly, Laois or Carlow beating Dublin, Waterford or Galway. Relegation battle will be interesting.

Your headache is spreading!

Should beat Laois in fairness.

Just looking at the 1A fixtures again; it has all the recipes for a pretty unbalanced series. Can't see Offaly, Laois or Carlow beating Dublin, Waterford or Galway. Relegation battle will be interesting.

1B?

But yes, between the progress made last year, and Kenny taking over, I'd be confident of ending the league in the top half.

Well, division II if we are honest!

They should at least make the top three, and even have a shot at promotion. Being in either has not really made a difference so far as there have usually been four decent teams in 1B and all guaranteed a quarter final.

That is no longer the case, especially with a pretty big chasm opening up between top 9 and the rest. Not blowing Dublin's trumpet by the way. There but for the grace of god and all of that, but near disaster was averted and things are looking up again.

Don't expect them to be winning All Irelands but another Leinster or AI semi final is no longer as distant as it seemed 2/3 years ago.

Don't expect them to be winning All Irelands but another Leinster or AI semi final is no longer as distant as it seemed 2/3 years ago.

Jeez, it was bleak a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I just want them to consistently give any team their game. Everything builds from that.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Jeez, it was bleak a few years back.

It was but some of it has turned out to have been beneficial.

Cunningham just did not gel with the whole thing but he did some good things and some of the current panel are still young fellas who were thrown in at deep end and have that under their belts. You could see last year in championship that whatever deficiencies Dublin had they were well able for the physical battles.

I saw somewhere stats on possession, % of scores converted, puck outs won etc, and Dublin were well up there in top 3/4/5 on some, but down on others. Judging by the last two games they have been working on them, and Kenny had Cuala fitting the bill on all of the areas the county team were backward in.

Has to be said to that while some of the retirements under the Corkman were regrettable and caused demoralisation, there did also have to be a bit of a renewal of the team after Daly had left.

We are also fortunate in having at last a good SHC and a pool of good former underage players. All taken, not a dissimilar stock to that which Limerick had/have.

Yes, a smoother transition from the Daly era is pretty much the only thing that I'd have liked. I was worried that the transition was so rough that kids would be put off hurling with the trouble the team was having, but that doesn't seem to have been the case at all. Gilroy sorted out the necessary strength and conditioning work for some of the players last year, and now Kenny has taken control right when a lot of things are coming good.

I'm really optimistic for the next few years, so exciting after the last few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Are they changing the league again after this year? If not, then getting promotion would be a big mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

ProudDUB wrote: »

Brilliant stuff. I was worried that he would retire this year, this way when we beat Dublin nobody can say we wouldn't have done it if Gavin was still there. It will make it all the sweater for us to assume the role of Offaly of the 80's this year with Horan.

(runs for cover)

muddle84 wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff. I was worried that he would retire this year, this way when we beat Dublin nobody can say we wouldn't have done it if Gavin was still there. It will make it all the sweater for us to assume the role of Offaly of the 80's this year with Horan.

(runs for cover)

I would like to propose an amendment to Brother Proud Dub's motion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

I would like to propose an amendment to Brother Proud Dub's motion :)

*peaks head up from behind rock*

What motion is that now?

PS: it would be just great if ye got Connolly back for the year too.

Not to worry lads. Lumps of coal are very tasty (I hear ;) ) at this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

Inspirational story from Dublin footballer Shane Carthy in the link below. Very emotional read from a man who has fought depression and now is an inspiration to so many people. Well done Shane for speaking out about his mental health battles and I hope that he and his family will have a most peaceful Christmas after what he has been through.

https://scarthyblog.home.blog/2018/12/19/im-no-longer-surviving-im-living/

Merry Christmas fellow Dubs.

Here is to another glorious year for and in our Glorious Capital.

Up The Dubs.

Anyone else hear the rumour that Dublin are not bothering with the experimental rules to be deployed against them in the league.

Interesting reaction if true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Anyone else hear the rumour that Dublin are not bothering with the experimental rules to be deployed against them in the league.

Interesting reaction if true!

How does that work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement