Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

How does that work?

Presumably, it means that most of their training will consist of following the standards rules, and only a few training sessions will follow the new rules. I don't believe that the new rules, in particular the rule limiting the hand pass, will last
    the full league, never mind into the championship.

The first few games in the league are going to be defensive armageddon, with everybody calling for the changes to be rolled back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

CatInABox wrote: »
    Presumably, it means that most of their training will consist of following the standards rules, and only a few training sessions will follow the new rules. I don't believe that the new rules, in particular the rule limiting the hand pass, will last
    the full league, never mind into the championship.

The first few games in the league are going to be defensive armageddon, with everybody calling for the changes to be rolled back.

Fair.

As regards the bolded part, surely that'll be a whole "won't someone think of the children" and complaints that Dublin pressured the return to the normal rules.

As an aside, since we started to be good recently, how many rules have been changed or implemented to counteract us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

the full league, never mind into the championship

I heard that Dublin and perhaps others are not bothering with the rules, period.

They are not going to be used in SFC this year anyway, so what's the point?

We shall have a preview of the dog's dinner that the league will be over the next few weeks. Dublin are due to play in O'Byrne next month but more than likely with skeleton panel more like the Underdogs team than what we will see later in year.

If some committee wants to ruin the game, then the reductio ad absurdum of watching the best team trying to play football hamstrung by something some idiot dreamt up after a few pints will put them back into their box.

The dogs will bark. The caravan will pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

I agree with the sin bin rule but the other rules are ridiculous considering they changed kick out and mark rules at the last minute. Shouldn't be trialed in National League.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gael85 wrote: »
    I agree with the sin bin rule but the other rules are ridiculous considering they changed kick out and mark rules at the last minute. Shouldn't be trialed in National League.

It's utterly bizarre. The league has just been growing more and more important and competitive every year, and now they decide it's to be a guinea pig for some of the biggest rules changes in years?

A bad league campaign could set the reputation of the league back years, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

It's utterly bizarre. The league has just been growing more and more important and competitive every year, and now they decide it's to be a guinea pig for some of the biggest rules changes in years?

A bad league campaign could set the reputation of the league back years, in my opinion.

When these committees are formed stuff like this is proposed to justify their existence. Proposing 5 new rules was too many. Even more crazy all rules were accepted by congress or whoever voted them in.

Gael85 wrote: »
    When these committees are formed stuff like this is proposed to justify their existence. Proposing 5 new rules was too many. Even more crazy all rules were accepted by congress or whoever voted them in.

How much consultation if any was carried out prior to Congress ratifying the mad rule changes?

Cody gets a bit of stick for allegedly being a bully when it comes to opposing anything he sees as detrimental to Kilkenny or hurling - which are probably synonymous in his eyes!- but that has been a good thing as it has stopped the sort of mindless interference that football is subject to.

Gavin is a different sort of personality but I doubt he will take this lying down, especially as it is in large part motivated by the hope that it will drag Dublin or whatever team succeeds them into the gutter.

Have taken the liberty of reposting the following excellent contribution of Boom Boom in the new rules thread:

I decided to have a look at how the new rules are affecting scorelines so far.

There was 48 games played in last year's pre-season competitions [O'Byrne Cup, McKenna Cup, FBD League and McGrath Cup]

A total of 117 goals and 1156 points were scored in these 48 games - this works out as an average of 31.4 points per game.

So far 18 games have been played this year in the 2019 pre-season competitions under the proposed new rules and a total of 25 goals and 373 points were scored in these games for an average of 24.9 points per game.

That's a decrease of 6.5 points per game under the new rules or more than 20%.

In terms of goals the average in 2018 was 2.44 compared to 1.39 under the new proposed 2019 rules.

Even though it's only data from 18 games under the new rules so far, its looking very much like a serious failure from the standing rules committee, given a more than 20% decrease in the overall scores. Unless the scoring rate change drastically in the rest of the pre-season games, I think the notion of continuing the trial during the league will definitely have to be abandoned.

In terms of the committee that came up with the rules, I think they will have to be thanked for their service and a new committee put in place one made up 100% of top football people - I think that a new committee should make it a priority to talk to the coaches/managers of the teams that play attractive attacking football and ask them what rules they would like to see considered.

Hadn't been following the games played under the new rules at all, but that's about what I expected.

I happen to think that they might brazen out the league though, I just don't believe that the GAA is that swift/accountable.

Bear in mind too that the stats quoted by Boom Boom are distorted by the Armagh hammering of St. Mary's in the McKenna by 6 - 17 to 1 - 7. So average for other 17 games is 23.7 points and just barely over one goal per game!

I think we have sufficient evidence to conclude that as most people forecast, this is a disaster.

St. Mary's by the way probably did not bother with training for new rules as Sigerson is not subject to them as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Do the GAA ever front up to disasters though? It'll be crooked old men in suits digging their heels in.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Do the GAA ever front up to disasters though? It'll be crooked old men in suits digging their heels in.

they'll be the only ones watching the jaysus thing if that turns out to be the case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Merry New Year Dubs.

Hopefully 2019 shall be forever known through out the lands as the year Dublin did the 5 in a row.

Although we if we do pull it off, what on Earth do we have to look forward to this time next year?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Merry New Year Dubs.

Hopefully 2019 shall be forever known through out the lands as the year Dublin did the 5 in a row.

Although we if we do pull it off, what on Earth do we have to look forward to this time next year?

The 6 in a row?

Yeah, I know. It just won't feel the same though...will it? Hard to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

More rule changes to stop us I suppose. They're just short of asking us to play with one hand tied behind our back and only allowed score a goal using our weaker foot.

Merry New Year Dubs.

Sam and Liam double :)

Actually, Liam on his own would do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah, I know. It just won't feel the same though...will it? Hard to explain.

There a weird thing were 3 in a row was a big deal and so is 5 but somehow 4 wasn’t talked about in the same way.

salmocab wrote: »
    There a weird thing were 3 in a row was a big deal and so is 5 but somehow 4 wasn’t talked about in the same way.

I think when Mayo went out early, and then Kerry followed them soon after, a lot of the tension in 2018 went out. People expected Dublin to walk it, so it just wasn't as big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I think when Mayo went out early, and then Kerry followed them soon after, a lot of the tension in 2018 went out. People expected Dublin to walk it, so it just wasn't as big a deal.

I actually thought there was much more talk/hype back in 2016 about doing a back to back, than there even was about the 3 in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I felt that after 3 in a row the talk started of 5. Poor old 4 was a given from 12 months out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Serious question for ye all as ye look ahead to 2019. No doubt Dublin will be favourites for Sam again but who as Dublin fans do ye see as your biggest challenger to stop the 5 in a row?

muddle84 wrote: »
    Serious question for ye all as ye look ahead to 2019. No doubt Dublin will be favourites for Sam again but who as Dublin fans do ye see as your biggest challenger to stop the 5 in a row?

Not sure, to be honest. Mayo and Kerry both have new managers, so there could be a year where they're just bedding in and getting the team to play the way that they want. Of course, it's Mayo and Kerry, there's enough talent there that you can't discount them either. Clifford is a simply incredible player as well, I can't wait to see more of him this year.

I'd expect Tyrone to improve next year. Harte is no fool, and will be working on getting the most out of the team. There was some learning for him in the last two years against Dublin, and it's pretty clear that he knows now that an ultra defensive system won't work.

Of the rest, I have no real clue. Is there a team out there that could make the leap?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

It will be interesting to see what impact Rochford has in the Donegal set up this year. It was a very encouraging start for them under Bonner that just fizzled out in the latter stages of the championship. He may have some insights into getting them to peak later on in the year as he did with Mayo, but that could be at the expense of foregoing Ulster.

Mayo may get a bounce in performance under Horan, but I don't know whether that will continue for the whole year. Kerry's challenge will hinge on them finding consistency on the field from 2-9, the forward line will cause a world of trouble if their own half can provide the platform.

The league will be anyone's to win imo. Can't see Dublin paying any attention to the revised rules, complete focus will be on May-Aug, bar them fielding a team specifically for the rule changes.

Mayo have been the closest and if Horan can sort out the personnel issues then they'll be in with a good shout again. Last year's relatively poor showing may even work to their benefit.

Tyrone are not hugely off. They were badly missing a scoring forward last year when it came to the Dublin games.

Galway still there of course and have capacity to improve further. There's not a huge lot between 3/4 teams. Kerry might still need a year to fully capitalise on the minors and replace some of the older lads who were starting to look past it.

As said, league will not be much of a guide assuming they still go ahead with the new rules. Any team focusing on championship will only regard it as a means to try out new players and get established lads up to speed for the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,769 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Of the rest, I have no real clue. Is there a team out there that could make the leap?

Kildare are a team that should be doing way better with what they have.
    I would be disgusted with them if I was a lillywhite supporter.
    They have the players to be doing better then they are.

Besides the obvious teams I like the look of Monaghan. I think depth of squad and subs is thier main problem.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Kildare are a team that should be doing way better with what they have.
    I would be disgusted with them if I was a lillywhite supporter.
    They have the players to be doing better then they are.

Besides the obvious teams I like the look of Monaghan. I think depth of squad and subs is thier main problem.

Was delighted to see Kildare progress last year, but I thought that a lot of it came from that Daniel Flynn guy, he had Kildare humming against Kerry.... right up until he got sent off. I think it would have been a different result had he stayed on.

Anyway, he's decided not to play this year, just wants to play club for a while. Massive blow to Kildare, but fair play to the guy, think he just wants to sort his head out.

Monaghan are one of the teams I admire most, play nice football, and have a nice bit of bite to them. As you say though, squad depth is a problem for them, at least once they start playing the top teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

When are we playing again?
    Anyone know why the format in the O'Byrne cup was changed this year?

I'd imagine the players fund could have done with a couple more games and my money.

We're out next in the O'Byrne Cup semi finals on Jan 12th. It'll be the C squad again, as the A's & B's are currently snorkeling in St Maarten's. Final is on the 19th if we win our semi. Don't ask me who we are likely to play, as I haven't an iota.

First league game is away to Monaghan on the 27th.

O'Byrne Cup format was changed due to.... insert your own reason here ---- >

• Advertisement

Mordor it is so next weekend. In PP. Bastards couldn't even give us a road trip either. Although Navan is 'nowt more than Dublin 27 these days, isn't it? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement